UK media are reporting that the number of hospitalised flu patients has risen sevenfold since last month, with an average of 3,746 patients a day in hospital, but I can't find any info as to how this compares historically. However, combined with the ongoing covid situation it's creating an issue for our hospitals with staff absences and bedblocking due to lack of care services available for discharged patients. Thanks, Tories!

15+ Year Old Account
    looks like there is a new contestant in town, XBB.1.5 went from under 4% to over 40% in just 3 weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    UK media are reporting that the number of hospitalised flu patients has risen sevenfold since last month, with an average of 3,746 patients a day in hospital, but I can't find any info as to how this compares historically. However, combined with the ongoing covid situation it's creating an issue for our hospitals with staff absences and bedblocking due to lack of care services available for discharged patients. Thanks, Tories!
    Well seems our government are trying it's best to cripple the NHS to try and sell if off to the highest bidder.

10+ Year Old Account

...using planes to spread the virus on population... yeah i think this is a pretty high possiblity to avoid uprising since sick cant fight back.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    China better hope they don't get the new variant going around because it's no joke without any sort of vaccinations or prior infection to fall back on. I know it was said with delta and the intital onset of omicron but the subvariant of omicron actually does not care about your shots, boosters, previous infections, none of that. Thing is that everyone outside of China has had some sort of exposure to the virus so even when it bypasses the front gates of your immune system your immune system will eventually kick in (people get sick but not nearly as bad). China is largely unvaccinated and unexposed because they have been isolated, last thing you would want in that scenario is to get hit with our new variant (whatever it is called xyz.whatever, it sucks).

Hoping the best for the Chinese and that some sort weird variant does not come out of it. The last thing the world has to fear is China spread covid though, they should be more afraid of the covid we got.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

...using planes to spread the virus on population... yeah i think this is a pretty high possiblity to avoid uprising since sick cant fight back.
    That's..... probably reaching a little. They realised zero covid wasn't possible and backed down due to public backlash (which took them long enough, but the chinese are rather placid when it comes to protesting due to how they are governed) but when enough is enough, the people will take a stand. Now, they are going through what most of the world went through about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    China is largely unvaccinated and unexposed because they have been isolated, last thing you would want in that scenario is to get hit with our new variant (whatever it is called xyz.whatever, it sucks).
    China isn't that unvaccinated on average - it's just that it seems to have been made in an odd way with sub-par vaccines.

On average there are 2.4 vaccine doses in China compared to 2 in the US (the only large countries that seemed to really exceed China are S. Korea with 2.5 and Japan at 3) and the world average of 1.65 https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

However, there have been several indications that China didn't focus vaccinations on the elderly (who are most at risk dying), but instead on the "middle-aged" (who are most likely to spread the disease) - and even if the elderly were vaccinated they might not have had the necessary booster doses.

And that is just vaccinations, most other countries also have a large amount of people with prior infections that give some immunity - and China had practically no-one with that (well, perhaps a million or so).

So for some reason many Chinese celebrities are suddenly dying, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...up/ar-AA160CGz

(and not looking at weird youtube videos that seem to suggest conspiracies).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    China isn't that unvaccinated on average - it's just that it seems to have been made in an odd way with sub-par vaccines.

On average there are 2.4 vaccine doses in China compared to 2 in the US (the only large countries that seemed to really exceed China are S. Korea with 2.5 and Japan at 3) and the world average of 1.65 https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

However, there have been several indications that China didn't focus vaccinations on the elderly (who are most at risk dying), but instead on the "middle-aged" (who are most likely to spread the disease) - and even if the elderly were vaccinated they might not have had the necessary booster doses.

And that is just vaccinations, most other countries also have a large amount of people with prior infections that give some immunity - and China had practically no-one with that (well, perhaps a million or so).

So for some reason many Chinese celebrities are suddenly dying, https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...up/ar-AA160CGz

(and not looking at weird youtube videos that seem to suggest conspiracies).
    I don't think anything is particularly suspicious about those deaths besides some people in charge being petty and unsympathetic now that they they have people dying to COVID. A cold "you guys wanted this, you deal with it" attitude with a bit of sarcasm, whether that makes sense of not.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't think anything is particularly suspicious about those deaths besides some people in charge being petty and unsympathetic now that they they have people dying to COVID. A cold "you guys wanted this, you deal with it" attitude with a bit of sarcasm, whether that makes sense of not.
    To be clear: the only part that I view as suspicious about the deaths is that they aren't officially recognized as covid-deaths, so it isn't listed on the death-certificate and they are not counted in the covid-death statistics - since the latter is at most in the single digits per day in China.

Apart from that they were predicted and we know their cause.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2023-01-14 at 06:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dodged corona for 3½ years, but today got a positive result. Anyone else got it recently?

Bedridden with high fever and everything hurts....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I dodged corona for 3½ years, but today got a positive result. Anyone else got it recently?

Bedridden with high fever and everything hurts....
    No one in my direct family has had a single sniffle this year. With the exception of getting really sick at the end of 2019, could be Covid, I don't remember the last time I got sick.

https://archive.is/tBI24

The San Francisco Bay Area fared better during the COVID-19 pandemic than many other largely populated areas, with a cumulative COVID-19 death rate among the lowest of the nation’s most populous counties, according to a Los Angeles Times analysis.

Of the nation’s 88 counties with a population greater than 750,000 people, San Francisco and neighboring Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa and San Mateo counties had COVID death rates among the lowest in the country.

The nine-county region of the Bay Area reported 10,093 COVID-19 deaths through March, as tallied by Johns Hopkins University before it ended its comprehensive count.

That translates to a cumulative rate of 130 deaths for every 100,000 residents. That’s 37% of Los Angeles County’s death rate of 354 deaths per 100,000 residents (the 27th-highest cumulative rate) and one-quarter of New York City’s cumulative rate of 540 deaths for every 100,000 residents.

Each of New York City’s five boroughs is technically its own county. If New York City were considered to be a single county, it would have the worst COVID-19 death rate among the nation’s counties with more than 750,000 residents.
    Some interesting, albeit unsurprising data from recent reviews of covid data. Weirdly, following the science and taking proactive preventative measures, including high rates of vaccination and boosters, contributed to San Francisco county and the neighboring counties, seems to have resulted in one of the lowest rates of covid mortality in large counties across the nation.

They found that San Francisco’s excess mortality rate was half the state’s total. In 2020, there was an 8% increase in deaths from all causes in San Francisco compared with the prior year. By contrast, across all of California, there was a 16% increase.
    SF in particular fared very well. It helps that these counties tend to have a lot of higher income folks in there that could work from home or had the means to take time off etc. which is acknowledged. But the results still speak for themselves. Early and aggressive pursuit of preventative measures had longterm benefits in terms of reducing both the rates of covid illness/hospitalization and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://archive.is/tBI24

Some interesting, albeit unsurprising data from recent reviews of covid data. Weirdly, following the science and taking proactive preventative measures, including high rates of vaccination and boosters, contributed to San Francisco county and the neighboring counties, seems to have resulted in one of the lowest rates of covid mortality in large counties across the nation.

SF in particular fared very well. It helps that these counties tend to have a lot of higher income folks in there that could work from home or had the means to take time off etc. which is acknowledged. But the results still speak for themselves. Early and aggressive pursuit of preventative measures had longterm benefits in terms of reducing both the rates of covid illness/hospitalization and death.
    Umm, that’s not the take away from that at all necessarily. You have to look at everything that’s different in the populations you’re comparing. A more affluent population as you pointed out tends to make a huge difference on its own. Less incidence of comorbidities potentially. More preventive care prior to the pandemic potentially. More access to healthcare in general potentially. Younger population potentially. All factors that would come into play before even considering the impact of vaccines, masks, lock downs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Umm, that’s not the take away from that at all necessarily. You have to look at everything that’s different in the populations you’re comparing. A more affluent population as you pointed out tends to make a huge difference on its own. Less incidence of comorbidities potentially. More preventive care prior to the pandemic potentially. More access to healthcare in general potentially. Younger population potentially. All factors that would come into play before even considering the impact of vaccines, masks, lock downs, etc.
    There were some major economic impacts associated with SF Covid policy. However, after all said and done, personally I think they did the right thing. Chinatown and Japantown have high elderly population and dense population (100k per square mile). Twenty five percent of their population are over 80 years old. If they had a covid outbreak in those two districts, the death toll would have been staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    "It's everything but the guns."

Vaccines are a serious business I guess:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-plant-in-2021

It seems so stupid I would love to believe it is sattire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Vaccines are a serious business I guess:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-plant-in-2021

It seems so stupid I would love to believe it is sattire.
    No weirder than Ken Paxton suing Pfizer. He accused Pfizer of fearmongering and lying about the effectiveness of its COVID-19 vaccine.