Quote Originally Posted by Phanius View Post
    Then refute my numbers. Compared to the flu, this things real impact is overblown.

As for the US being a joke? What others think of us is no concern of mine.
    lol, sure. Easily done: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.
    That is, of course, if you're ONLY concerned about the death rate and not the infection rate, which also seems to be higher than that of the flu thanks to the lack of immunities, vaccines and other preventative measures.

Last time I'll be responding to you since you're obviously not up to it. Good luck out there, lil' buckaroo!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/14/o...nio/index.html

"When asked about the decision that disbanded a White House office on pandemics, the President said he didn't make the decision to shut it down and couldn't resist telling the reporter who asked about the issue that she posed "a nasty question."

I think we're going backwards with regards to the US pandemic..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then refute my numbers. Compared to the flu, this things real impact is overblown.
    Probably the dumbest thing I've read in here. The real numbers are lower because we don't quarantine and shut down entire countries for the flu. The death toll would be much higher than the flu if we treated as such. Do you know anything about this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post

That is, of course, if you're ONLY concerned about the death rate and not the infection rate, which also seems to be higher than that of the flu thanks to the lack of immunities, vaccines and other preventative measures.

Last time I'll be responding to you since you're obviously not up to it. Good luck out there, lil' buckaroo!
    Even if the numbers bear out as you suggest, so what? If its worse, let's say a million deaths a year worldwide and opposed to half a million, that is against the backdrop of 7.5 Billion humans.

The definition of insignificant.

So...Trump says we have *tremendous control* then the head infectious diseases guy in the country says *the worst is yet ahead for us*

I think the Trump admin can't agree on anything. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    So...explain how would you handle people that break isolation and quarantine ?
    The elderly groups I mentioned? Children would be kept in by their family. The elderly and immunocompromised by the same sorts of authority that can institutionalize the mentally ill against their will.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post

So...Trump says we have *tremendous control* then the head infectious diseases guy in the country says *the worst is yet ahead for us*

I think the Trump admin can't agree on anything. LOL
    Hell, if you go by his Tweets, even Trump can't agree with Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i remember when entire countries shut down every year for the flu...
    When did thay happen recently in the US?

Inevitably large cities in the US are going to force restaurant/bar closures. Some already have. Which is insanely reckless without compensating these people for weeks without pay.

The hysteria and paranoia of this bullshit is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Inevitably large cities in the US are going to force restaurant/bar closures. Some already have. Which is insanely reckless without compensating these people for weeks without pay.

It will be a big problem, Bar and Restaurant employees are some of the least likely to have any type of PTO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if the numbers bear out as you suggest, so what? If its worse, let's say a million deaths a year worldwide and opposed to half a million, that is against the backdrop of 7.5 Billion humans.

Your ignorance continues to astound.

With no vaccine and no prior immunity, COVID-19 could ultimately infect some 50-80% of the world's population, and the death rate will probably be in the 1-3% range. That means somewhere between 40-180 million people dead this year.

While we can hope that we're able to mitigate this number in some meaningful way, pretending that these numbers are not a possibility is just an act of stupidity.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Hell, if you go by his Tweets, even Trump can't agree with Trump.

IKR. The man contradicts his OWN tweets. The man is confused..maybe he has an alternate personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

Breccia summed it up pretty nicely in the Trump shitshow thread, as well as others have posted potential deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    For people who don't understand Skroe's sense of urgency, we could see six seriously ill people per hospital bed in America.

"But Breccia! Surely that's based on worst-case scenarios!"

Well first of all, no, it's not. But second of all, what about the people using those hospital beds because they're sick or injured for some other reason?
    That analysis, based on data from the American Hospital Association, U.S. Census, CDC and World Health Organization, is conservative. For example, it assumes all 790,000 beds will be empty.

Since two thirds are not, the reality could be far worse: about 17 people competing for each open bed.

Unless we are able to implement dramatic isolation measures like some places in China, we’ll be presented with overwhelming numbers of coronavirus patients – two to 10 times as we see at peak influenza times,” said Dr. James Lawler, who researches emerging diseases at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and the Global Center for Health Security.
    I mean we could just ignore it so businesses can operate and not get f’d over by trying to control this virus. Side effect is millions die and we watch our healthcare system burn to the ground. But at least those poor restaurants and bars, the most important, critical part of our society, might survive through this crisis. Won’t people please think of those poor BUSINESSES. Fuck the people who die.
    Last edited by swiftowner; 2020-03-16 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    i remember when entire countries shut down every year for the flu...
    The flu never f'd with the global economy..costed companies billions a day in revenue etc.
    Suspended flights, shut down movie/tv show filming....the list goes on. lol
    I've heard of countries shutting down for the flu. *towns or schools yes..but not countries*

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Breccia summed it up pretty nicely in the Trump shitshow thread, as well as others have posted potential deaths.
    So people should just go broke, not be able to afford basic needs and their living situation, all because the american healthcare system and gov't is fucked.

lol if you follow what has happened in italy, if we follow the same pace by doing nothing or waiting too long....
    they are up to 400 people a day dying.

so multiply that by at least 6 just based on the population difference and in a week we would be at 2400 people dead a day and about 10-20k new cases a day.

Sat totals

1,809 while the number of positive cases rose to 24,747

would be

11,750 dead and 160,800 cases

just a tad insignificant. /s

insignificant does not always mean a small number vs an big overall number. significance is not just measured by ratios, its measured by many other variables and compounds on itself.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It will be a big problem, Bar and Restaurant employees are some of the least likely to have any type of PTO.
    thankfully and anecdotally my friends affected are being paid still.. and yes that's waiters/waitress and retail, and other such jobs. I wonder how long it will last for them though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    So protecting a small percentage of the population while asking the majority to suffer? Again, reckless without the proper foresight and planning. There's many other measure that can be implemented to curb the spread of the virus in public settings without harrowing people who are likely live in or barely above poverty.

So people should just go broke, not be able to afford basic needs and their living situation, all because the american healthcare system and gov't is fucked.
    Uh, people are ALREADY going broke without basic needs and housing because of the American healthcare system and government. One accident (even non-fault) is enough to ruin a large portion of the population. Possibly the only positive that will come from this pandemic is that more people will see why the country needs a dramatic overhaul in governance to one that might actually care more about its citizens.

Which just isn't right, I know it's uncomfortable, but these people make normal people making normal buys have to worry about buying more because they either can't control themselves or want to profit.
    It's not right, no...but i can't really blame them either. Working a minimum wage during a pandemic...you're probably just looking to get through your shift as effortlessly as possible.