10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Yeah, there are still enough people who don't take it seriously. I work teaching younger kids and we started taken precautions two weeks ago and now we are moving completely online. And yet, people are still idly chatting in the supermarkets as if nothing's going on about the "Coronalol"
    This is how you get a Darwin award.
    Every mail that i get in box here gets instant sprayed by alcohol then i put in on the sun just to be sure to kill the *possible* virus.

10+ Year Old Account
    TIL: A bookstore is considered essential services, so we're staying open in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    This is how you get a Darwin award.
    Every mail that i get in box here gets instant sprayed by alcohol then i put in on the sun just to be sure to kill the *possible* virus.
    How long does the virus actually survive on objects?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    How long does the virus actually survive on objects?
    IIRC it depends on the type of surface and temperature.

This study gives the following numbers :

The researchers concluded that the coronavirus can survive up to three hours in air, 4 hours on a copper surface, 24 hours on cardboard, and up to three days on plastic or stainless steel.
    But I think I remember that in the Wuhan Wet Market of infamy they were finding samples several days if not a week after it had closed.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

The thing is...you're likely going to get it no matter what.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yes, it's just a question of when.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oregon has now closed all restaurants and bars except for delivery and take out. Banning gatherings of 25...or 10..still going back and forth...people. My son is in Ireland, was coming back Saturday. Delta got hold of them and said No, you're going home tomorrow because next week there will be NO flights to get you home. I feel bad for him and his fiance. I did tell him that I had 30 rolls of toilet paper and if he had some top ramen at home we could possibly work out a trade

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phanius View Post
    Freedom over fear, every time. Liberty is worth the risk
    Oh look more ignorance coming from a rural, insular, white person, probably in a state that barely voted for Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, people took this working from home and schools closures way too willfully. Many are making full blown holidays for themselves out of it in the beaches and so on.

Given that - fresh directions from Ministry of Health here in Israel.

No visits of parks, beaches and other public places are allowed. All businesses and stores serving public are closed, except for supermarkets, convenience stores, medical and other essential businesses. All public gatherings, clubs, gyms and so on are closed and forbidden. Public transportation is reduced and only one person per car is allowed with exception of immediate family members.

You still can go outside, so it's not full lockdown yet, but it's still pretty much one step before that. I don't think they can actually enforce this though and knowing our unwashed masses of clueless people - you will have a good chunk of them not giving a damn about it.

--

I guess until they put army on the streets and actually enforce the shit, people will keep doing whatever. We just today learned of a case where some returnee girl from abroad was asked to stay in quarantine on return and instead went partying 3 nights in a row and was later tested to be positive for Corona. I bet she alone will be responsible for a good dozen more cases at least.

Honestly, I'm all for giving them a jail sentence for a good year or so - they really need to make example of a couple of these morons.

Thank you china for eating bats and killing our elderly .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Thank you china for eating bats and killing our elderly .
    It's chicken of the cave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    IIRC it depends on the type of surface and temperature.

This study gives the following numbers :

But I think I remember that in the Wuhan Wet Market of infamy they were finding samples several days if not a week after it had closed.
    Hmm okay, 4 hours is quite a long time for just air. Did not expect it to survive that long that is quite worry some.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Problem is if a lot of people get it at the same time care can't be given for all and you go to situations like Italy, where if aged 60+ you are not a priority any more and won't receive any care. So if your sentiment is from some misguided scientific models that everyone should just get it over with for herd immunity.... let's not.

Also where is the anti-vaxxer dumbass crowd in all this, bet those guys are happy that measles is coming back, fun side effect that illnesses has on your antibodies created for previous illnesses.

Also where is the anti-vaxxer dumbass crowd in all this, bet those guys are happy that measles is coming back, fun side effect that illnesses has on your antibodies created for previous illnesses.
    When a vaccine is developed, if they dare reject getting vaccinated, three big guys should hold them down while a nurse injects them.

Zero exceptions to this because some idiot hung out on the wrong corner of the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    I hope not. Because of emergency measures, many people are staying home and avoiding contact with other people.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't - we'll find out within next few months. I hope it does work.
    They say that the measures taken now will be visible the earliest 2 weeks from now IF people listen and don't make this a new holiday period.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    When a vaccine is developed, if they dare reject getting vaccinated, three big guys should hold them down while a nurse injects them.

Zero exceptions to this because some idiot hung out on the wrong corner of the internet.
    I don't disagree with such measures, the anti vaxx knowledge is based on nothing and has far reaching consequences. The truth is that parents do not always know best.

I mean 30 year olds are getting hospitalized by this, fun time is over for these knuckleheads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Switzerland as of this morning is in a state of emergency until April 19th, translating as a partial lockdown for now:

-all sorts of schools and daycare are closed, save for skeleton service for parents working in essential services (health, cleaning, food, etc...)
    -restaurants and all public facilities are closed
    -all non essential shops are closed, and yes, chocolatiers were deemed non essential and had to make clearance sales yesterday, though times for them especially as Easter was coming
    -all borders are now being controlled, with only residents and people commuting for work allowed in addition to trucks
    -the army has been mobilized, with 8k active personnel committed to the crisis, a first since WW2.

Given the wording of some declaration, they might even call more people from the reserve (ie the general population, as our army is in the lines of a milita). So far all San Companies and Hospital Battalion have been mobilized and are being trained (only about 10% work in health as civilians).

Got one of my bro in the logistics of a Hospital Battalion, and another who's also mobilized, third bro who's training as a radiologist has volunteered to sampling patients, he was already busy with non-stop thoracic radios.

Fourth bro is smartly/stupidly in the Maldives with his 6 months pregnant fiancee, as the government clearly advise travelers to hasten their return, given the perturbation of flight lines.

On the political side they closed the Parliament Session, a first since WW1 IIRC, and so far we don't know if the May 17th popular vote will be maintained, especially given that its main object is a proposal to essentially leave the Schengen Area by reestablishing Immigration Controls.
    Whille the governement seems to be against, Portuguese President asked for a council of state to be held tomorrow by videoconference, the idea is to declare the emergency state, if that happens, just like in your country the army will be called and all the constitution rights/freedoms will be suspended.

As for today, the already implemented measures are limiting peoples lives by a lot. A simple thing like going to the supermarket is a nightmare, as supermarkets don't allow more then a ceartain amount of people inside the shop, there are lines to get in the supermarkets, same with pharmacies.

Nº of confirmed cases still growing, 448 cases here in Portugal.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Minnesota they have now closed all Dine-in Restaurants, bars, movie theaters etc. Drive-through and Take-out seems to still be open for now.

fun time is over for these knuckleheads.
    "Fun time is over for these knuckleheads" should be the slogan going forward.

We are here in large part today because a host of.... really not wonderful people (I'll leave it at that)... decided that getting tilted at SJWs, gender identity stuff, Hillary's email and other really minutae was more important than the fundamentals of being President and leadership. Like, you know... administering the Federal government professionally and seriously.

A lot of people need to be reminded for the rest of their lives that because they took youtube videos and podcasts by cranks and grifters seriously peoples parents and grandparents are dying and America is about to spend $1 trillion to avoid a massive recession / depression (or at least mitigate it).

Americans are here because some "knuckleheads" decided the things that annoy them were worth trolling and that there was such a thing as "the deep state" and "MAGA" was a serious idea and having a professionalized executive branch was undesirable.

By the time this is over, every single Trump supporter will not just have blood on their hands, but be swimming in a veritable ocean of it. We are here because when the time came for them to be strong and stand up to an unqualified demagogue, they were weak.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Yeah, there are still enough people who don't take it seriously.
    Happen in Italy too...

Now we got Bergamo, a city in the northen part of Italy where we got 330 death in 7 days... there is no place to keep coffins, they have been piled up in churches...
    https://twitter.com/Costa95Ale/statu...38090610585600

We are stuck in our home since last week untill april.

So.. "Coronalol" my ass! :/
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

10+ Year Old Account
    no living memory of epidemic here. cultures with recent history (asian) knew how to start acting almost immediately.

that will change here very soon unfortunately.

apparently they are concentrating testing in nola but BR allegedly has drive-through testing with dr. order now. waiting to see when st tammany pr does same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    "Fun time is over for these knuckleheads" should be the slogan going forward.

We are here in large part today because a host of.... really not wonderful people (I'll leave it at that)... decided that getting tilted at SJWs, gender identity stuff, Hillary's email and other really minutae was more important than the fundamentals of being President and leadership. Like, you know... administering the Federal government professionally and seriously.

A lot of people need to be reminded for the rest of their lives that because they took youtube videos and podcasts by cranks and grifters seriously peoples parents and grandparents are dying and America is about to spend $1 trillion to avoid a massive recession / depression (or at least mitigate it).

Americans are here because some "knuckleheads" decided the things that annoy them were worth trolling and that there was such a thing as "the deep state" and "MAGA" was a serious idea and having a professionalized executive branch was undesirable.

By the time this is over, every single Trump supporter will not just have blood on their hands, but be swimming in a veritable ocean of it. We are here because when the time came for them to be strong and stand up to an unqualified demagogue, they were weak.
    it is a statement on just how balkanized the US electorate is that faced with a pandemic, people talk about politics and blame the other side. it is the only prism they can see through.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.