They just had the worst reported day of the epidemic so far with over 3000 new cases and 120 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    They just had the worst reported day of the epidemic so far with over 3000 new cases and 120 deaths.
    Not sure where you are getting those numbers. I see ~3300 new cases with 64deaths for Feb 3rd.

Feb 2: 17387 cases, 362 total deaths.
    Feb 3: 20626 cases, 426 total deaths.

+3239 new cases, +64 deaths

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And while checking those stats I noticed that Hong Kong had its first death today, Feb 4th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, shiznit. It took a month, but I found a new home for my cat before this hit.

She wasn't young, she wasn't some fancy breed, she was a street rescue calico. When I got tossed into the hospital, one of my biggest worries was that she might starve to death -- I put down as much food as I had on hand and water in everything I could, but I had enough for one month and was in the hospital for seven. Things were looking uncertain before the Wuhan outbreak, so I'd already decided to find a new home for her. Reading this, I'm glad I did: https://news.yahoo.com/virus-stricke...104546760.html
    A 43-year-old native of Wuhan, a central Chinese city ravaged by a coronavirus outbreak, said he climbed up rusty pipes to the third-floor balcony of an apartment to gain entry into the home of a middle-aged couple.

Lao Mao was no ordinary housebreaker - his mission was to feed two starving cats trapped in the home for 10 days.

He found the animals under a sofa, barely alive. Lao Mao rang up their owners, who broke down and cried on the video call at the sight of their pets.

Their owners had gone on what was originally a three-day trip to the north but had been unable to return, barred by travel curbs following the virus outbreak, which has claimed the lives of more than 360 people in China.
    There is a human side behind the numbers. Please remember that.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The impact on the economy is interesting also. West Texas crude is down to $50 per barrel. Good for consumers, but not good for oil companies and our producing countries. That's with OPEC exports for January down about 700,000 barrels a day from December. Global oil production will likely need to cut down production by 2.5 million barrels a day just to keep oil price stable. Maybe even more.

In a remarkable case of Darwin Awards, a Canadian made a ''joke'' about having the coronavirus onboard a plane.

Really funny joke.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/x...uins-vacations

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    In a remarkable case of Darwin Awards, a Canadian made a ''joke'' about having the coronavirus onboard a plane.

Really funny joke.

He's laughing now.

It's not going to be funny when the big mega corporation sues him.

Mah free speech be infringed!

Confirmed cases now at 23,865.

3,064 in serious/critical condition.

Wonder how big this is gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Someone earlier mentioned the number 20 million. And I think that was a conservative estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post

Really funny joke.

It happened to me once. The airplane already flied half way, and it turned around !

It is United Airline. Why does the government keep give money to them?
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-02-05 at 03:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post

confirmed cases at 34,789 now.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-02-08 at 04:12 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    @breadisfunny That's not the harsh news. Too much stuff is behind TGF (the Great Firewall) so I can't find a better link but: https://www.worldofbuzz.com/expert-w...ht-conditions/

This was said at a press conference held by Hubei Provincial People’s Government on Monday (Feb 3rd) to reassure people that the virus was not airborne, Malaysiakini reported. This is based on the research done on the 17,205 confirmed cases that are in mainland China currently and proven by epidemiology.

Sneezing and coughing droplets have very limited transmission, but if the droplets land on surfaces such as doorknobs or elevator buttons, then people who touch these run the risk of getting infected. He also said that the coronavirus can live for one up to five days given the right conditions. Oh no!
    The site seems a bit on the sensationalist side, however, this does seem to source back to the government and might explain why transmission rates outside China seem to be under better control than those within China. It does fit what a Chinese friend just told me that she had heard.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I just want to point out that death rate shouldn't be calculated by death/case but death/(death+recovered) cause you don't know what the result is for the currently infected. Early numbers will be skewed atm anyways cause dying is faster than recovering. If using official numbers, the death rate is 43% in China atm (361 death 475 recovered). Though official CCP numbers will more likely be misleading anyways.

One number you can look at are people in critical condition if you want to go by case.
    The mortality rate is 2%, 493 / 24,557. The recovery rate is 3.9%, 966 / 24,557. There are a few important things to remember though. One is that the total dead and recovered combined only represent 6% of the total known cases. At least one of those two groups is going to grow significantly when the remaining 94% reach their final disposition. If the present ratio remains constant that will equate to roughly 1/3 dead and 2/3 recovered, or, 8,200 dead and 16,337 recovered. A greater than 30% mortality rate.

Those numbers are potentially bad, however, this virus is still mutating. We could be one mutation away from a docile minor inconvenience or a nightmare. There is no telling which way it will go. That is why it is only common sense to at least acknowledge the potential downside and have some kind of plan in mind if that becomes reality. I would say this is one time when it definitely pays to err on the side of caution. Hence China's current reaction.

10+ Year Old Account

More info on it.
    100 test kits a day.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    The mortality rate is 2%, 493 / 24,557. The recovery rate is 3.9%, 966 / 24,557. There are a few important things to remember though. One is that the total dead and recovered combined only represent 6% of the total known cases. At least one of those two groups is going to grow significantly when the remaining 94% reach their final disposition. If the present ratio remains constant that will equate to roughly 1/3 dead and 2/3 recovered, or, 8,200 dead and 16,337 recovered. A greater than 30% mortality rate.

Those numbers are potentially bad, however, this virus is still mutating. We could be one mutation away from a docile minor inconvenience or a nightmare. There is no telling which way it will go. That is why it is only common sense to at least acknowledge the potential downside and have some kind of plan in mind if that becomes reality. I would say this is one time when it definitely pays to err on the side of caution. Hence China's current reaction.
    I feel like you should continue to read my other post cause I explained it a bit more after being asked.
    If you don't understand what I meant it's death per completed case. Hence death/(death+recovered).

So has everyone died yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    So has everyone died yet?
    We're getting there.

Why do I get the feeling someone said "jinxed!"

The doubling rate is meant to be around 5 days. Obviously that can't keep going indefinitely or the whole world will be infected in just 85 days.