Quote Originally Posted by FitAsAFiddle View Post
    We'll see about that. Hopefully this situation proves to the people of Texas that we don't need the U.S. and we can get the fuck out. You need us more than we need you.
    LOL texas received 32.6% of their budget from the federal govt and that data is a few years old

Based on 2019 payments texas is receiving almost $500 per capita above what they pay in federal taxes back in funding.

Texas gets 61.29% of their Medicaid paid for by the feds. States like NY,CA,NJ,CT...get 50%.

This does not even include the billions of dollars the state benefits from federal oil subsidies and cheap leases from the gulf from the federal govt.
    This does not include the billions in federal farm subsidies...

Ya texas could go at it alone, but they would have to raise their state taxes by about 9x what it is today.
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

Annnnd back to Coronavirus stuff (I think many of us forgot which thread this was)…

One of the counties where my parents, grandmother and several other elderly family members live saw their cases go 20-24-31 the past few days so it looks like it's starting to escalate there as well. My mother has no choice about going to work since she's an essential in healthcare. My father can, thankfully, work from home--so long as he still has a job. He was let go from his previous job after having worked there 40+ years because they sold the company and didn't keep him on, so he finally found a job last year he's really happy at...and then this happens. *sigh*

Meanwhile, here the streets have FINALLY quieted down a bit after the idiot crowds of the past week, but of course that's far too late. I expect the Netherlands will see an explosion of new cases--if they're able to test them all--in the next week, week and a half.

Bit surprised of this did not see it from that perspective, foreign press FT is praising Belgium for its approach.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgiu...iums-approach/

"the Belgian government shows that a fragmented country can still produce a clear, decisive response to a national crisis,” to which they added: “Here’s hoping it continues.”

Guess not being an elected government and with currently having no chance of being re-elected or up for re-election means people actually make choices in the interest of the nation rather than themselves.

Lol@the boomer raging in this thread.

and today, my area had a spike of 78 cases, since testing is dramatically increasing. I could see the DFW area being a new problem area because of the damn airport.

New York is so fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    and today, my area had a spike of 78 cases, since testing is dramatically increasing. I could see the DFW area being a new problem area because of the damn airport.
    I think we're going to be seeing a LOT of spikes over the next month because of Trump's initial and continual incompetence. WHO is saying if we don't reverse course and still with quarantine we'll be the global epicenter - and that's after India. And they are really, really fucked at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    New York is so fucked.
    It's going to get MUCH worse because as of right now, the hospitals are still functioning. When those organizationally shut down, and when healthcare workers start getting sick and not showing up to shifts, then it's going to get BAD.
    No one is above the law!

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's going to get MUCH worse because as of right now, the hospitals are still functioning. When those organizationally shut down, and when healthcare workers start getting sick and not showing up to shifts, then it's going to get BAD.
    Just wait and see if the police are operational.

The capital region of Finland, Uusimaa, will be quarantined from the rest of the country on Friday. All travel excluding essential work will be prohibited.

330 new cases bringing the total 1865 and 3 new deaths bringing the total to 19 in Illinois. Most of the deaths have been outside Chicago's Cook county, and it has spread to 35 counties here which is about 1/3 of the state, with new counties being added every day. It is spreading everywhere.

New York is so fucked.

Its near vertical man, if you how bad Madrid is its not looking to bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    The capital region of Finland, Uusimaa, will be quarantined from the rest of the country on Friday. All travel excluding essential work will be prohibited.
    But it won't be enforced in any way.

So many stories are coming in from people being idiots about this. The virus party in Kentucky. The beach. I am willing to be that if this virus was more deadly, people would Still be just as dumb about it. Heck, even some of my family is saying its nothing but the common cold. The sheer stupidity about this virus is baffling.

And they wonder why its spreading so far so fast. We have seen this from day 1 in china. People are NOT taking this thing serious and its killing others.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    So many stories are coming in from people being idiots about this. The virus party in Kentucky. The beach. I am willing to be that if this virus was more deadly, people would Still be just as dumb about it. Heck, even some of my family is saying its nothing but the common cold. The sheer stupidity about this virus is baffling.

And they wonder why its spreading so far so fast. We have seen this from day 1 in china. People are NOT taking this thing serious and its killing others.
    Well I mean you have retards here pushing this "media stunt" line here too, it's as if people don't realize what the fuck is going on.

Trevor Noah did a bit yesterday from his home and he was joking that if this was an actual zombie outbreak people would still not be taking this seriously, and Trump would still be considering ending social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by FitAsAFiddle View Post
    We'll see about that. Hopefully this situation proves to the people of Texas that we don't need the U.S. and we can get the fuck out. You need us more than we need you.
    don't worry maybe mexico will take you. they need all the help they can get against the cartels.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Trevor Noah did a bit yesterday from his home and he was joking that if this was an actual zombie outbreak people would still not be taking this seriously, and Trump would still be considering ending social distancing.
    i was having a conversation with my hubby a few weeks back, before this shit really started taking off, about how i couldn't figure out how it was possible that a zombie infection could get as bad as say the walking dead series but now I understand full well how it would easily happen due to idiots in society and the complete ineptness of any governing bodies involved. Its really quite scary
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    But it won't be enforced in any way.
    Yeah, which is a joke. Why go through all this trouble if you aren't going to enforce it?!

New York is so fucked.
    Not just New York i am afraid, New york is a high travel state, it is going to crop everywhere. Rural area's seem they might be a bit better protected for this but that all depends how serious precautions are taken and right now there is no clear direction or sense of urgency coming from the white house, even more rural state local politicians aren't 'buying it'.

So the few hospitals they got there are going to be swarmed, as from i read they struggle when just a regular flu season hits them.

Noticed that it seemed that this small change wasn't posted here earlier.

WHO now calls it physical distancing - not social distancing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOykECB5L8k

It's called denial, at least a good part of it. It's one of the most basic and most important human self-defense mechanisms for mental health. "No chance this happens to me. I'm one in 7.7 billion, what are the odds?" Your brain lies to you every day, pushing all the horrible things that could happen to you every second of your life far far to the back of your consciousness. If you were constantly aware of all the things that could harm or kill you, you'd spend your life locked away in the basement, whimpering in fetal position.

People always prefer a comfortable lie to an inconvenient truth. That's just human nature. You can see examples of that every day. It's not exclusively people being idiots, although that surely contributes.