Field Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    How's the air quality in SK? i've heard that the hardest hit area in Italy is also the zone with the worst air quality in the country (and afaik in europe)

Smokers are a high risk population when contracting any pulmonary disease.
    that depends on when.

that's how bad it can get with the pollution.

so how many more of these do you think there will be?

teen died because he had no insurance and the place he went to refused to treat him, on his way to the hospital he suffered a cardiac arrest and later died. he tested positive for the virus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9429946.html
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Those things are entirely worthless as ventilators. Any hospital that ever hooks a patient up to one of those things is opening themselves up for a lawsuit. Mechanical ventilators (of the intubation variety) REQUIRE pressure sensors, oxygen mixing, positive end-expiratory pressure, a means to change exact volume and rate of breath, and readable waveforms so you can adjust ventilation and not cause PERMANENT LUNG DAMAGE AND/OR DEATH OF A PATIENT. That thing is nothing more than a glorified automatic bagger, which is fine to do for a few minutes, but not hours, and definitely not days. Any doctor who would willingly hook a patient up to one of these would be fired, lose their medical licence, get sued for everything they own, and probably go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Which state?
    ok sorry it was the attorney general.

https://www.wistv.com/2020/03/27/sc-...-hvmz-ZA90Y7T4
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post

Geeze. Texas's governor also seems to think a statewide shutdown isnt encessary but at least him and the AG are perfectly fine with counties / cities shutting down.

That seems incredibly irresponsible of your gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post

Thanks. Glad the police are giving the finger to your AG, he's a true PoS.

pretty soon we are gonna surpass france in # of dead. currently at 1,711.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Geeze. Texas's governor also seems to think a statewide shutdown isnt encessary but at least him and the AG are perfectly fine with counties / cities shutting down.

That seems incredibly irresponsible of your gov't.
    yeah its fucking stupid but I know people happy about it.. saying the gov't is violating the bill of rights.. i just cant...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Thanks. Glad the police are giving the finger to your AG, he's a true PoS.
    yep! i wish the Gov would have just said oh ok .. entire state lock down.
    Member: Shadow Lands Alpha Club, Member since 4/9/2020

That attorney general seemed reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormie View Post
    You would.

I would be rational? Got me!

I would be rational? Got me!
    Yeah, that's what I meant...

Dreadlord
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Probably not many care, but couple of places where this shit can do a lot of damage are refugee camps, Syria chiefly, but let's add Yemen too. Think squalor in India, but worse.
    Then places like Donbass also could get hit hard, I really do not think the macho guys there have a big priority on some virus...
    Well, an unexpected bonus of living in a blockaded unrecognized puppet state is that we've been sort of semi-quarantined since 2014, so it's easy to implement fully closed borders. Quick googling tells me that Donetsk People's Republic is almost exactly the size of Delaware + Rhode Island combined, and has population about 1.15x of those two combined, 2.3 million people. As of yesterday, we had zero confirmed cases and 70 returning tourists (yeah lol) being quarantined and tested for the virus.

And, we're not comparable to refugee camps, we're just impoverished eastern European cities. I can't talk about Luhansk, but Donetsk city was largely spared during the war, so we have some (outdated?) medical equipment and even some medical personnel, so when we'll get actual cases, then we'll see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

How so? If the governor wont do their job, and counties / cities are having significant outbreaks, what the hell are those cities / counties supposed to do?

Take Texas. Dallas has over 300 confirmed cases now. Should we not be allowed to shut down if the governor decided to be an imbecile and say "you're not allowed despite an outbreak?"

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This virus will cause far, far more deaths than the H1N1 by the time it's done.
    Okay, I gave it a week and yeah I think Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims by the time it's over. But doomsaying and fearmongering doesn't help. The German doctor is a great example for us all - not cheery, yet a calm voice.

Before you press that report button, I'm not callous; but I have spent entire Donbass War in the besieged Donetsk city. (my family was safe away of course) Everyone here either knew someone who has died in the war, or has a close relative or friend who knew someone.

So, while each victim is a tragedy, you must take into account www.worldometers.info the same site that tracks the pandemic also tracks Earth population, and I quote, "The current average population increase is estimated at 81 million people per year." That's ~220k pop growth every day. We're not facing Bubonic Plague level disaster here, Earth population will keep growing every day. Be careful and sensible, and you'll most likely be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Okay, I gave it a week and yeah I think Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims by the time it's over. But doomsaying and fearmongering doesn't help.
    What exactly do you think is fear-mongering here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I'm not callous
    Despite the hardships you've faced, and despite the rate of human expansion, downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying is kinda the definition of the word "callous".
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

I'm going to ask this here because I need to know if this is a local or global issue with COVID-19 and hospitals. As many of you who have read my posts know my wife is a nurse here in Chicago. She handles IV Therapy in an outpatient chemotherapy ward. Today they decided to furlough a portion of the nurses in the ward as they rescheduled chemo treatments due to the sheer number of people in the waiting rooms who could die if infected by the coronavirus. My question here is has anyone else heard about that happening in their respective cities and countries where healthcare workers are being let go instead of moved to staff other more important areas?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What exactly do you think is fear-mongering here?

Despite the hardships you've faced, and despite the rate of human expansion, downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying is kinda the definition of the word "callous".

This right here in your very post is fearmongering:
    downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying
    Your estimate is slightly off: so far death rate for closed cases is 17%, so 7.77 billion times .17 is 1.32 billion potential victims.

Also, IMHO, while my "Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims" is realistic, your "This virus will cause far, far more deaths than the H1N1" is too panicky. And, in general, your posts in this topic are on the panicky side; you seem to argue against anyone who doesn't express significant concern. Sorry for ad hominem BTW, I don't mean it that way, just answering your question. I am sufficiently concerned to warn people close to me to be careful, but I don't think the sky is falling for the human race.

Edit: in other words, what's the opposite of callous? Oversensitive? I think both extremes don't help.
    Last edited by Cynep; 2020-03-28 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    About that "other virus;" Hantavirus is one illness you don’t need to worry about right now — as long as you avoid contact with rodents

Dr. Tania Elliott from NYU Langone Health in Manhattan told MarketWatch that hantavirus has actually been around for a long time, “probably for centuries,” and that it is most prevalent in China with anywhere from 16,000 to 100,000 cases a year.

But unlike the coronavirus — which is believed to spread from person to person through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes — the hantavirus is primarily spread by contact with mice and their urine, feces or saliva. In fact, the CDC notes that, to date, “no cases of HPS (hantavirus pulmonary syndrome) have been reported in the United States in which the virus was transmitted from one person to another.” So avoiding the hantavirus basically comes down to avoiding contact with rodents, Dr. Elliott said.
    Given that:

Bamboo rats – eco-friendly answer to growing appetites for meat?

...with it having being promoted by the chinese government to combat poverty, here is yet another ticking bomb...
    "Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang on Essays on Mind and Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I'm going to ask this here because I need to know if this is a local or global issue with COVID-19 and hospitals. As many of you who have read my posts know my wife is a nurse here in Chicago. She handles IV Therapy in an outpatient chemotherapy ward. Today they decided to furlough a portion of the nurses in the ward as they rescheduled chemo treatments due to the sheer number of people in the waiting rooms who could die if infected by the coronavirus. My question here is has anyone else heard about that happening in their respective cities and countries where healthcare workers are being let go instead of moved to staff other more important areas?
    All Belgium staff has been reappointed to deal with this crisis, even courses went out to refresh their ICU knowledge they are still supported by actual ICU doctors. Even doctors that generally don't work in ICU or deal with patient treatment, such as experts are being re appointed to deal with this, including night shifts.

All non-essential procedures are delayed also, this is very much something that is happening everywhere.

edit: Misread, they are doing what? Letting people go? that is absurd you'll be vastly understaffed. Only logical reason i can think off is that they waited far too long and missed the window to give them a crash course but even then.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-03-28 at 07:21 AM.