1. #7901
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So who added the big red CHINA DATA SUSPECT thing at the bottom? And did they not understand that if it's going "per million people," the country with 1.4 billion inhabitants might be a little low on the chart.
    China (or more specifically, the CCP) lied over its numbers. And it fucked the response on levels only seen by the USSR and Chernobyl. Now, do i believe that they have the fucking virus mostly under control? Yeah, i do.

    Relevant link:

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-virus-s-toll
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:13 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  2. #7902
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,439
    also that chart is already out of date since sadly the us has had 40k new cases in just 2 days.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  3. #7903
    This sounds like it will be a lawsuit. A company in Austin, Texas sent out a form to it's employee's that the company will be docking it's employee's pay by 100% of the amount of the stimulus check they get in order to help the company with it's payroll issues.

    https://wgno.com/news/health/coronav...us-checks-tmw/

  4. #7904
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Good? Bad? News: It seems that the CCP virus is more widespread, but less deadly than anticipated.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....23.20041319v1
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:33 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  5. #7905
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Sure, the government is complicit. But the culture created the demand for freshly killed exotic animals. I would blame the culture before anything else. And the culture has many adherents.
    The culture has been doing this stuff for generations. And they aren't the only culture that does. A lot of Asia does these sorts of things, not just China. As Michael Olefson put it, China's population density creates the perfect storm for viruses carried by wild animals to be transmitted to humans via the way they are stored and handled. The problem is more so with the significant lack of regulation when it comes to food handling and storage, not to mention that many of these markets will be thousands of people deep in terms of people who visit them.

    For the Chinese and a lot of Asia, they've developed a resistance to a lot of the things wild animals carry. Unfortunately this virus, much like Lyme disease carried by ticks, is a disease that attacks the immune system in such a way that it forces it to work overtime, crippling or weakening the victims body further. The human body isn't going to respond as well to such an aggressive attack that makes your immune system work harder than it does to fight off the common flu. It starts shutting down eventually.

  6. #7906
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The culture has been doing this stuff for generations. And they aren't the only culture that does. A lot of Asia does these sorts of things, not just China. As Michael Olefson put it, China's population density creates the perfect storm for viruses carried by wild animals to be transmitted to humans via the way they are stored and handled. The problem is more so with the significant lack of regulation when it comes to food handling and storage, not to mention that many of these markets will be thousands of people deep in terms of people who visit them.

    For the Chinese and a lot of Asia, they've developed a resistance to a lot of the things wild animals carry. Unfortunately this virus, much like Lyme disease carried by ticks, is a disease that attacks the immune system in such a way that it forces it to work overtime, crippling or weakening the victims body further. The human body isn't going to respond as well to such an aggressive attack that makes your immune system work harder than it does to fight off the common flu. It starts shutting down eventually.
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...

  7. #7907
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...
    There's evidence that this developed naturally. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...tural-origins/

    There's also evidence that the CCP fumbled the response and made a thing that could be relegated to a small snippet of info in wikipedia to the main pages of history
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  8. #7908
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    There's evidence that this developed naturally. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...tural-origins/

    There's also evidence that the CCP fumbled the response and made a thing that could be relegated to a small snippet of info in wikipedia to the main pages of history
    That article I and struggle to call it that rather then a tabloid has about as much science in it as a flat earthers thesis paper.

    One of his counter points is it attacks humans so well it can't be man made....

  9. #7909
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    That article I and struggle to call it that rather then a tabloid has about as much science in it as a flat earthers thesis paper.

    One of his counter points is it attacks humans so well it can't be man made....
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...evidence-67229
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

    Here you go. It's a corona virus. Of course it attacks humans so well
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:59 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  10. #7910
    Bloodsail Admiral Not A Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pancakes
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    This sounds like it will be a lawsuit. A company in Austin, Texas sent out a form to it's employee's that the company will be docking it's employee's pay by 100% of the amount of the stimulus check they get in order to help the company with it's payroll issues.

    https://wgno.com/news/health/coronav...us-checks-tmw/
    That's... really messed up holy shit. I hope something can be done for these workers.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

  11. #7911
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...evidence-67229
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

    Here you go. It's a corona virus. Of course it attacks humans so well
    I only read the first article but can I ask you to not just link the first thing goggle gives you?

    This also has very little to do with science and simply reiterates that there isnt proof it escaping from somewhere but provides no solid source of origination or a strong argument for it being otherwise.

  12. #7912
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I only read the first article but can I ask you to not just link the first thing goggle gives you?

    This also has very little to do with science and simply reiterates that there isnt proof it escaping from somewhere but provides no solid source of origination or a strong argument for it being otherwise.
    Until you give me evidence of the contrary, I could say that the proof of it being a natural occurrence is out of my ass and even then i'd have more confidence in that than whatever you're trying to say. The burden of proof lies on you. Prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this virus was bio-engineered.

    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  13. #7913
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Until you give me evidence of the contrary, I could say that the proof of it being a natural occurrence is out of my ass and even then i'd have more confidence in that than whatever you're trying to say. The burden of proof lies on you. Prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that this virus was bio-engineered.

    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0317175442.htm
    It could be either but with even china claiming it was engineered now I have a feeling your argument in the coming weeks will be up there with "it's just a flu bro"

  14. #7914
    The Lightbringer PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Good? Bad? News: It seems that the CCP virus is more widespread, but less deadly than anticipated.

    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....23.20041319v1
    I'm not really sure this report is terribly meaningful. It seems like it's trying to imply that China should have been "credited" with ~258k cases of COVID-19, based on the changing definitions of the virus. That would retroactively change their data to suggest a CFR of 1%.

    Ultimately, I think this report is a lot of "nothing to see here", especially considering the apparently lack of credibility behind China's numbers to begin with.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  15. #7915
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    It could be either but with even china claiming it was engineered now I have a feeling your argument in the coming weeks will be up there with "it's just a flu bro"
    China is claiming that it was engineered because they're trying to shift blame, in order to save face. They know (When i say they, i'm reffering to any officer of the CCP that has any semblance of self awareness) that they fucked up. In a legendary way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm not really sure this report is terribly meaningful. It seems like it's trying to imply that China should have been "credited" with ~258k cases of COVID-19, based on the changing definitions of the virus. That would retroactively change their data to suggest a CFR of 1%.

    Ultimately, I think this report is a lot of "nothing to see here", especially considering the apparently lack of credibility behind China's numbers to begin with.
    I mean, I was trying to convey that there's some (albeit, again, very preliminary) studies showing that the CCP virus is way more widespread (albeit less fatal) than the confirmed cases show. But again, until we get widespread antibody testing, this is just a gut feeling and not much more.

    My gut feeling tells me that, IFR is around 0.5-1.5%, but R0 is higher than shown. I may be wrong though. There's a good possibility that i'm wrong.

    Speaking of R0, what's the R0 of mumps?
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 06:39 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  16. #7916
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    China is claiming that it was engineered because they're trying to shift blame, in order to save face. They know (When i say they, i'm reffering to any officer of the CCP that has any semblance of self awareness) that they fucked up. In a legendary way.
    Agreed but given their near instant reaction to it I would hazard a guess that they knew something was more dire then they let on.

    Time will tell but chinas attempt to save face costs others dearly there needs to be a firm lesson taught regardless. If it was something they let out unintentionally there needs to be a reckoning.

  17. #7917
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...
    Bull. All of those theories have since been debunked by actual scientists, you know, experts? Sure, there's potential correlation due to where the virus started, but that can't be proven and they've known about these types of viruses for years now. Michael Olefson, who is an American scientist and one of the leading figures on these subjects has even said that we can't manufacture diseases as harmful to us as nature itself can. Sars, Zika, Lyme disease, Spanish flu? All created in nature, and most could be avoided.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2020-03-29 at 06:39 AM.

  18. #7918
    Legendary! Thepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Bull. All of those theories have since been debunked by actual scientists, you know, experts? Sure, there's potential correlation due to where the virus started, but that can't be proven and they've known about these types of viruses for years now. Michael Olefson, who is an American scientist and one of the leading figures on these subjects has even said that we can't manufacture diseases as harmful to us as nature itself can. Sars, Zika, Lyme disease, Spanish flu? All created in nature, and most could be avoided.
    And even HIV or yersinia pestis were naturally made. We humans were stupid enough to eat monkeys and not bathe regularly. Want to reduce zoonotic diseases ravaging our species? You have 2 options:

    a) stop eating wild game meat, and treat cattle with dignity, or stop eating meat whatsoever, for all humanity
    b) kill everything that's not human and is shown even the smallest degree of zoonotic disease transmission
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 06:51 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  19. #7919
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I'm a surgeon. I've sent my kids and wife of to live with her parents in a rural region of Germany almost 4 weeks back by now, seeing how exposed and likely to get this I was. I've only had contact to colleagues and friends the past weeks, and I've been testing myself regularly every few days. Like all medical staff I'm rather exposed, and I like to err on the side of caution.
    I'm almost 100% certain where I got it. I had to operate on a patient who was tested positive, with obstructions in the lungs, probably a result of smoking. No hard feelings, the risk comes with the profession. But thanks for your kind words.
    Get well soon, and thank you for your work.

  20. #7920
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Speaking of R0, what's the R0 of mumps?
    Wikipedia says 4-7, but there isn't a citation.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •