https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/u...gtype=Homepage

Days After a Funeral in a Georgia Town, Coronavirus ‘Hit Like a Bomb’

Dumb fucking morons. I'm getting extremely tired of this shit. Sure, Trump is an abject failure in his response to this mess, but the American people need to wake the fuck up. Theres Jerry fucking Falwell reopening liberty University, some cunt pastor in FL getting arrested for hosting a large religious gathering for his Evangelical know-nothing trashbrain congregation. We need more of this. Start tossing idiots in jail for endangering the public health. Involuntary manslaughter for anyone causing deaths due to not isolating yourself. This garbage is going to go on forever if the scum of this country are allowed to exercise their full freedoms.

A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    We had the first positive result for Covid-19 at my work today. In a different building then me, but still, it is only about 300 meters away from the area I work in. Definitely getting close to home now. Already had infections at the home depot near me, and a couple other businesses. And those are just the ones we know about.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    Also, is it just the Anglosphere who's had to deal with the assholes panic-buying everything? I've only heard stories from the US, Australia, Canada, and the UK about idiots buying way more items than they need.
    It seems to have been more extreme there. I'll limit myself to what I saw for myself, there were some supply disruptions early on and part of that was because of Spring Festival. They pretty well roll up the sidewalks during the holiday just as a normal thing, so I'd already stocked up for a month right before the holiday started -- I do that every year even though supermarkets do operate on reduced hours. My first shopping trip was February 8, lines were manageable and shelves were stocked. I went shopping yesterday -- better stocking, next to no line, I even picked up a pack of disposable gloves for the inevitable day that I have to face the subway or go to a pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk
    those videos showing chinese citizens out and about with masks still on claiming its over now.. yeah not buying that bullshit, its so f**king staged.
    Again, I'll only address what I see first hand, and without knowing what videos you are watching I certainly wouldn't rule out that they're staged. Even some ordinary videos are probably "staged" because Chinese love to do that with personal videos anyway (and beauty filters are probably involved too).

I went out shopping yesterday at 1400 to dodge crowds. People were wearing masks, that's still expected and we're still in a period when many people would be doing that anyway. AQI is better than the old days, but still running over 100 on official reports, with Beijing AQI reporting around 50 points higher, and while it is nice that the Chinese love spring flowers, pollen is bad and will get worse (because the idiots planted cottonwood). Lots of elderly and kids were out and around in the complex.

The big change was that as soon as my temperature was taken I got waved right on in. OK, they know me on the gate (not like they have a lot of other elderly white guys living here), but usually they'd make a point of me showing the little paper showing I live here, just to keep people from claiming the foreigner was getting special treatment. I didn't see anyone else doing it either, so it seems like the lockdown is easing up.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I bought a bread-maker back around new years, so I've been making bread. But yeast is just as hard to find as flour is.
    If you're up for the challenge you can actually indefinitely grow your own yeast. Was an episode of Good Eats about it (and amusingly placed in a post apocalyptic world cause... reasons). Probably some online guides too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    June 10th here in Virginia.

- - - Updated - - -

TP was in stock in every store in my area this week. Not sure why you think it wouldn't be.
    My distributor had none in stock so my store received none this week(got two 24 pack of 4 rolls last week, which sold out today). Our distributor is also limiting us to only a couple cases of water as well. And from what my customers were saying to me today they had already tried the grocery chain in my town and they had no toilet paper as well.
    No one is above the law! Not even the president!

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Days After a Funeral in a Georgia Town, Coronavirus ‘Hit Like a Bomb’

Dumb fucking morons. I'm getting extremely tired of this shit.
    Hey, I definitely understand the sentiment, but maybe read a bit before going nuclear.

The funeral in question was on 2/29. The first case of COVID-19 wasn't reported in the state until 3/2. Gathering restrictions weren't put in place until 3/23.

So no, these people were not "morons".
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Hey, I definitely understand the sentiment, but maybe read a bit before going nuclear.

The funeral in question was on 2/29. The first case of COVID-19 wasn't reported in the state until 3/2. Gathering restrictions weren't put in place until 3/23.

yeah. Around this time people are aware that it exists, but not how much its affecting the US yet. I know my family had a mini reunion at the same time. If we had known, we would have postponed it.

Luckily it seems none of us were carriers, as none of us have gotten sick and its been a month.

Australia now has almost 4500 cases and 19 deaths, from 230,000 tests.

The good news is that we are seeing a result from the lockdowns and testing. The growth in numbers have dropped from 25-30% which it had been tracking at for some time, and was till at last week, down to around 9% now. It isn't defeated by any stretch of the imagination but we are trending more towards South Korea/Singapore/Japan than we are towards Europe and the US.

In other news, yesterday the government revealed a massive $130 billion package to subsidise wages over the next 6 months so that people businesses don't have to close and people can still get paid. And this is from a centre-right government as well. All up over the last few weeks the government has committed to spending well over $200 billion, or around 16% of GDP just fighting this pandemic and keeping people employed and paid. It is sadly going to be a huge bill to saddle future generations with but at least they will inherit a functioning economy when this is done with.

There has been talk that they aren't expecting all governments to survive this and that it could lead to problems, such as mass migration and refugees just when we don't need it.

Dreadlord
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Seems to be slowing in Italy, but 20k new cases a day in USA...

There's a scene in the beginning of Breaking Bad when Walter White talks to that guy in the ambulance and says something like "I don't have the greatest insurance, can you just drop me off at the street?" I remember I had to explain it to my guys because our healthcare works differently.

So, I'm asking an ignorant foreigner question to those Americans who actually know: how true to the reality was that scene? And, how many real Americans won't be able to afford treatment for Covid-19? Do you think it will be free / cheap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    June 10th here in Virginia.

TP was in stock in every store in my area this week. Not sure why you think it wouldn't be.
    i call shinannagaaannsss!!!
    Whether SHE IS INDICTED OR EVEN GUILTY IT DOESNT MATTER. HER GUILT IS A MOOT POINT!!! - Fox News 2016
    You don’t have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic,” - Sen (r) Graham 1999

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

Fair enough, but literally two days ago I drove by a congregation of 50+ huddled together in a cemetery for a funeral, five blocks from my house. I live in south FL... People are still doing this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post

There's a scene in the beginning of Breaking Bad when Walter White talks to that guy in the ambulance and says something like "I don't have the greatest insurance, can you just drop me off at the street?" I remember I had to explain it to my guys because our healthcare works differently.

So, I'm asking an ignorant foreigner question to those Americans who actually know: how true to the reality was that scene? And, how many real Americans won't be able to afford treatment for Covid-19? Do you think it will be free / cheap?
    I'm not American but I can tell you without Government support, if you don't have insurance it will be prohibitively expensive. Also, because the USA has poor / no sick leave provisions and few employee rights (you're fired!) people would have been erring on the side of going to work if they felt a bit under the weather because they gotta put food on the table and don't want to be replaced.

Clearly that will (should) have changed over the past couple of weeks as the gravity of the situation becomes clear.

Also, think of the millions of people (dreamers / migrants) who will fear trying to get treatment through official channels because of the Racist in Chiefs policies.

I am in favor of science. Astrophysicists are practically a symbol for brilliance. There are, however, times when the idea of common sense vs. the Ivory Tower is hard to hand wave away: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/a...scn/index.html
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

thats pretty close to how healthcare works here in the u.s.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

thankfully I've never had to be taken anywhere in an ambulance and I hope that never happens but yes, they are a couple thousand dollars and I'm honestly not sure if insurance even covers them anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. A teen in L.A. just recently died of covid because he didn't have insurance and they turned him away so yeah, if they'll do that to a teen they'll definitely do that to an adult too
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    thankfully I've never had to be taken anywhere in an ambulance and I hope that never happens but yes, they are a couple thousand dollars and I'm honestly not sure if insurance even covers them anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. A teen in L.A. just recently died of covid because he didn't have insurance and they turned him away so yeah, if they'll do that to a teen they'll definitely do that to an adult too
    Land of the free, home of the brave, grave of the sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Land of the free, home of the brave, grave of the sick.
    well here is something that actually happened. my hubby's uncle was diagnosed with skin cancer a few years back and i don't know if he had insurance or not but it eventually came down to them being able to pay for treatment or pay their mortgage so they wound up living in their travel trailer at the back end of the family property for several years until just recently they were able to buy a new home so even with insurance if it doesn't want to cover the problem you're having you're still up shit creek with no paddle
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    What a disgusting country. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    What a disgusting country. This is ridiculous.
    welcome to the united states healthcare system. enjoy your stay.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Fair enough, but literally two days ago I drove by a congregation of 50+ huddled together in a cemetery for a funeral, five blocks from my house. I live in south FL... People are still doing this shit.
    Yes, and anyone doing it now is rightfully called a moron. Carry on.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils