1. #841
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We already have that. It's rabies, and is always fatal if not treated within...3 days I think. Hence vaccinations for pets.

    Also I think brain eating amoeba is up there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    You mean like HIV a few decades ago ?
    Yes but I meant something that also can spread this damn fast and easy and has a long incubation period while being transmissible and people dont even realize!!

    I just meant what if one day there is the absolute worse not yet discovered super bug that really fucks us hard.. shouldn't we be able and ready to completely lock down an area without letting it escape what so ever?
    Last edited by smiteme12; 2020-02-27 at 05:44 AM.

  2. #842
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,612
    Oh crap a confirmed case in my state

    Worse is that Northern California has a gigantic homeless population. If the virus comes into contact with them, RIP

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  3. #843
    Over 9000!
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,947
    https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200227003952320

    South Korea reported another daily spike in the number of new infections of the new coronavirus on Thursday, and more additional cases are expected to be identified in the hardest-hit city of Daegu and its neighboring regions as virus tests started on more than 210,000 members of a religious sect at the center of the rapid spread.

    The whopping 334 new cases took the nation's total infections to 1,595, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

    A 74-year-old virus patient who is tied to the religious sect in Daegu died of respiratory failure earlier Thursday, bringing the nation's death toll to 13.

    More than half of newly confirmed cases came from a branch of a religious sect in the southeastern city of Daegu.

    Of the 334 new cases, 307 are in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul, and four are in neighboring North Gyeongsang Province. The number of total infections in Daegu and North Gyeongsang stood at 1,017 and 321, respectively.

  4. #844
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate that there’s a man out there with the name Dick Pound? Middle School had to have been tough for him.
    who the f names their kid that...T.T or getting teased for the opposite. *Pound Dick*

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200227003952320

    South Korea reported another daily spike in the number of new infections of the new coronavirus on Thursday, and more additional cases are expected to be identified in the hardest-hit city of Daegu and its neighboring regions as virus tests started on more than 210,000 members of a religious sect at the center of the rapid spread.

    The whopping 334 new cases took the nation's total infections to 1,595, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

    A 74-year-old virus patient who is tied to the religious sect in Daegu died of respiratory failure earlier Thursday, bringing the nation's death toll to 13.

    More than half of newly confirmed cases came from a branch of a religious sect in the southeastern city of Daegu.

    Of the 334 new cases, 307 are in Daegu, 300 kilometers southeast of Seoul, and four are in neighboring North Gyeongsang Province. The number of total infections in Daegu and North Gyeongsang stood at 1,017 and 321, respectively.
    Uh....wut? 1600 confirmed in Korea? That's insaaaane!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  5. #845
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    who the f names their kid that...T.T or getting teased for the opposite. *Pound Dick*
    I mean, official name is Richard, right?

  6. #846
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I mean, official name is Richard, right?
    Yep.
    Just how Richard Nixon was nicknamed tricky dick.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  7. #847
    Over 9000!
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    9,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Uh....wut? 1600 confirmed in Korea? That's insaaaane!
    Closer to 1800 now.

  8. #848
    It has now reached Baltic states. An infected person flew from Tehran to Riga, then took a bus to Tallinn.

    Authorities have tracked down everyone on that bus (probably on plane as well, but didn't see any mention of that in news) and politely asked them to quarantine themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame
    Most people are imbeciles. Twitter is just a way for them to demonstrate it.

  9. #849
    Dreadlord Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    politely asked them to quarantine themselves.
    Oh well, that'll surely work. Might also politely ask them to get well once they'll get ill

  10. #850
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,483


    W.H.O. is a totaly joke now. Who they are?

  11. #851
    Stealthed Defender unbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Uh....wut? 1600 confirmed in Korea? That's insaaaane!
    Realize that the numbers reported around the world are likely lower than reality. China is trying to suppress the information. In the US, the CDC test doesn't really work, so testing isn't happening at scale, and there's likely hundreds of cases in the US.

    While the mortality rate appears to be about 1/3 of that for SARS, the number of known cases is well over 10x higher already (likely 20x higher). The US, with its stubborn crusade against universal healthcare and lack of living wages for significant percentages of the population, could get hit really hard. You might behave well yourself, but that minimum wage worker at the restaurant or grocery store that can't afford to take a day off (much less a week or two) will be there spreading the infection...

  12. #852
    The Insane Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    18,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Ordered air breather masks with a hundred spare filters, just in case.
    Not gonna do you a whole lot of good unless you've been properly fit tested, but w/e makes you feel better.

  13. #853
    The sad reality..Trump could cause the mass infection of thousands in the US and still get elected in 2020. He's being misinformed by someone and then misinforming the American people. I heard that Republicans with cases in their home states are angry at Trump over this and trying to calm their own voters down. It's a fd up situation..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  14. #854
    Warchief Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    420th state
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Countries those didn't close borders with china are clearly willing to equally share the responsibility
    Agreed. I'd even say if a country is not willing to go to the level that China is in quarantine, they have even more of the blame for allowing the spread. I currently don't see South Korea, Japan, Italy, and especially Iran doing anything close to proper quarantine, emergency procedures, and temperature checkpoints that China has done throughout the country.

    Agree or disagree with how China does it, but it's ridiculous to see countries where it is now spreading faster not doing much to actually stop it.

  15. #855
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Agreed. I'd even say if a country is not willing to go to the level that China is in quarantine, they have even more of the blame for allowing the spread. I currently don't see South Korea, Japan, Italy, and especially Iran doing anything close to proper quarantine, emergency procedures, and temperature checkpoints that China has done throughout the country.

    Agree or disagree with how China does it, but it's ridiculous to see countries where it is now spreading faster not doing much to actually stop it.
    Beijing has temp checkers everywhere, from buses to supermarkets to shopping malls, as well as the airport and metro stations. Even the small grocery store across the street from me started checking fever for people coming in, a few days ago. You don't see pics on other countries using those hand portable temp checkers. The one that my community was using got changed for a different model, most likely a newer upgraded version.

    I agree. If countries outside of China are not willing to use those temp checking machines, they are just at fault as allowing it to spread through their country's people..
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  16. #856
    Warchief Zatheyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    420th state
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Beijing has temp checkers everywhere, from buses to supermarkets to shopping malls, as well as the airport and metro stations. Even the small grocery store across the street from me started checking fever for people coming in, a few days ago. You don't see pics on other countries using those hand portable temp checkers. The one that my community was using got changed for a different model, most likely a newer upgraded version.

    I agree. If countries outside of China are not willing to use those temp checking machines, they are just at fault as allowing it to spread through their country's people..
    I just want to see the absolute rage it will bring to people when they actually do end up quarantined while bitching about how China didn't do enough.

  17. #857
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-wom...062631746.html This is disturbing. A woman in Japan recovered, released and then got the virus AGAIN and complained of chest pains etc.

    Maybe mutated or wasn't completely recovered and it came back?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  18. #858
    Dreadlord Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-wom...062631746.html This is disturbing. A woman in Japan recovered, released and then got the virus AGAIN and complained of chest pains etc.

    Maybe mutated or wasn't completely recovered and it came back?
    Or maybe she came back to the house that wasn't disinfected? The how japan is handling coronavirus so far is a total disgrace and the diamond princess quarantine was a ridiculous joke

  19. #859
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/city-hube...103703863.html
    A small province in Hubei is giving anyone that reports symptoms AND has the virus, can get 1,400$ as an incentive for finding new cases.
    Dam!
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

  20. #860
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-wom...062631746.html This is disturbing. A woman in Japan recovered, released and then got the virus AGAIN and complained of chest pains etc.

    Maybe mutated or wasn't completely recovered and it came back?
    If it mutated that would be all over the news. It's more likely that the infection lingered, or she reinfected herself by contact with another host.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Or maybe she came back to the house that wasn't disinfected? The how japan is handling coronavirus so far is a total disgrace and the diamond princess quarantine was a ridiculous joke
    There is no conclusive study for this strain of virus, but SERS and MERS viruses can survive for around 9 days without a host. If quarantine procedures were followed and no other living organism is in her house, she should not be able to contract the virus from her home.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •