10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A highly contagious disease similar to SARs (which had a 10% death rate which is like the bubonic plague...) is currently making it's way across the world and is now in Europe... and has a death rate about 5% apparently which... is extraordinarily high Why are you trying to shill for China?

The extreme caution being practiced is how we avoid pandemics. People like you in power would be like "pfft it's nothing" and then millions dies...
    Having seen Grimbold's posts over the last few years I suspect he wouldn't mind if millions died

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    The CCP is trying heavily on their media to downplay how bad this sickness is and it's probably going to bite them until it's become a true outbreak they can't control.

In Chinese history and superstition (which the Chinese are superstitious enough to act on it) plagues precedes a Regime change, if the CCP lets the real numbers leak it has a chance of being a self-fulfilling prophecy - they get taken out by riots and angry people who see them as failing them during a horrific outbreak, which means that plague preceding a regime change has happened once again.
    When this new virus started, people would be arrested for spreading information about it. Doctors were told not to say anything Xi didn't want instability in the country, so putting down anyone that would spread information, causing chaos, was arrested. T.T It took an international case for Xi to finally admit to the seriousness of the situation. You would think that China would have learned their lesson with SARS. To think that China claims they have 5000 years of history. T.T

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    Isn't that a bit too late? You've already been among the people waiting for the train before you get on...
    Well, i heard about it a few days ago. I got to see it firsthand. I arrived this morning from Cambodia on vacay. *NO cases there yet..thank god* There is a guy in an hazmat testing your fever with a scanner to your forehead. If you pass, you're allowed on the subway.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I really hate that saving face thing. Having friends that are from countries over there it annoys me so much. They can never admit they've got a problem and ask for help. Gotta save face.
    Yep. It's very shitty and costs many lives. Heaven forbid anyone get the word out of a potential deadly virus that is similar to SARS wo fear of being punished. By the time the news did hit, it was weeks into the virus and who knows how many were infected/left/traveled then spreading it. The good news is that many countries are screening heavily now and cases are getting reported outside China quickly. I was a little worried being in Cambodia for 8 days, but was watching daily about any possible cases. The CDC has been working with the Cambodian gvt to prevent anyone entering the country. I didn't notice anything special about the airport, so who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

There were even people posting pics/vids of them either fleeing wuhan or posting from other countries. One girl posted a pic of herself eating food in France, saying she had symptoms but was able to get out before the ban took effect.

7+ Year Old Account
    This virus has what, 10k base pairs that represent it's knowledge substrate? Humans have massively more and a near infinite capacity to gain new knowledge and solve problems. We will defeat this tiny little fuckers.

I really hate that saving face thing. Having friends that are from countries over there it annoys me so much. They can never admit they've got a problem and ask for help. Gotta save face.
    It has many reasons.
    What's your reaction when a stranger gives food/candy to your cat/baby?
    They are trying to steal your cat/baby !

If American invents a cure and saves millions of Chinese, what happens when there is war?
    These Chinese may side with US !

The government would rather let them die than be brainwashed.

This virus has what, 10k base pairs that represent it's knowledge substrate?
    I am impressed that you have such knowledge, except people don't work together.

It is well known that many evil governments and corporations are researching deadly virus.
    If they own a cure no one else has, how much money will they make?
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-01-26 at 09:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A highly contagious disease similar to SARs (which had a 10% death rate which is like the bubonic plague...) is currently making it's way across the world and is now in Europe... and has a death rate about 5% apparently which... is extraordinarily high Why are you trying to shill for China?

The extreme caution being practiced is how we avoid pandemics. People like you in power would be like "pfft it's nothing" and then millions dies...
    It's always delicious to see people fall for sarcasm.

No wonder...

people think I'm crazy when i say i don't think we'll nuke ourselves but rather it will be some pandemic like the flu or something that is antibiotic resistant and then we have things like this happen....people don't take this shit as seriously as they should and it can rather easily wind up costing many lives before people finally believe its a problem that needs to be focused on. with air travel so easy nowadays it means its easy for nasty shit to spread all over before anyone has a clue whats happening.

you'd think with the sars outbreak china would be more apt to face this new treat head on so it doesn't wind up like sars outbreak did...i guess not though
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Xenogear You're way off into conspiracy theory land. Try to lay off the hyperbole and lay out your points a bit more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3
    It is well known that many evil governments and corporations are researching deadly virus.

If they own a cure no one else has, how much money will they make?
    Yes, governments and corporations research illnesses and injuries -- that's how we've moved medical treatments forwards. Yes, IP laws let a company make a profit off of treatments they discover, that's pretty basic to entrepreneurialism and has been since before the days Emmerson said "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door." By throwing in words like "evil" you make it sound like you think somebody is going to release a virus for profit though.

It has many reasons.
    What's your reaction when a stranger gives food/candy to your cat/baby?
    They are trying to steal your cat/baby !

If American invents a cure and saves millions of Chinese, what happens when there is war?
    These Chinese may side with US !

The government would rather let them die than be brainwashed.
    I think the current phrase is "citation needed."

Governments fall when people feel the government cannot meet their basic need and they lose trust in the government. That's why analysts are very quick to see this as a major test for both Xi and the CCP.

So, you've started with a weak assumption (no, I don't think they're trying to steal my cat, they probably think it is cute and are trying to reward it), gone further out on a limb by trying to stretch that to fear that grateful Chinese are going to side with the US (WTF, there are more than Chinese getting ill and the US doesn't have the only labs that might come up with a vaccine), and your conclusion is something that goes completely into weird fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye
    It drives many Chinese nuts too. What makes it worse is that they use a great deal of indirect communication, leaving them wondering what was really intended by a comment and how to respond.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Yes, governments and corporations research illnesses and injuries -- that's how we've moved medical treatments forwards. Yes, IP laws let a company make a profit off of treatments they discover, ...
    I should be more clear.
    The governments and large corporations are inventing new and improved virus, such as in Resident Evil.

In other words, human are helping the virus.

Yes, governments and corporations research illnesses and injuries -- that's how we've moved medical treatments forwards. Yes, IP laws let a company make a profit off of treatments they discover, that's pretty basic to entrepreneurialism and has been since before the days Emmerson said "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door." By throwing in words like "evil" you make it sound like you think somebody is going to release a virus for profit though.

You don't really have to purposefully release a virus,tbh. Imho it is already morally iffy for corporations to mark up life-saving treatments/medicine to the point where a lot of people cannot afford them. Research certainly is expensive and companies that make breakthroughs should be rewarded, yes. But one can reward that research without, well, sacrificing lives. Because that's kind of what happens when stuff like insulin is sold with massive markups so that the companies producing it can rake in massive profits.
    People could save lives but consciously choose not to in order to make more money. That is already something that quite a few people would consider 'evil'. Especially if you are not a fan of Liberal Market Economies, tbh. Doesn't have to be mustache-twirling kitten-kicking behaviour, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri
    Doesn't have to be mustache-twirling kitten-kicking behaviour, really.
    I'm not a fan of big pharma myself, and tend to think that Martin Shkreli was simply so full of himself that he got caught at a game they're all playing. That could easily be the basis for a whole new thread. In the case of what I was replying to though ...

The governments and large corporations are inventing new and improved virus, such as in Resident Evil.
    Nope, I think that poster is going with full on mustache-twirling, kitten kicking evil, to the point of invoking Resident Evil.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

I'm not a fan of big pharma myself, and tend to think that Martin Shkreli was simply so full of himself that he got caught at a game they're all playing. That could easily be the basis for a whole new thread. In the case of what I was replying to though ...

Nope, I think that poster is going with full on mustache-twirling, kitten kicking evil, to the point of invoking Resident Evil.
    True, that's different. I was researching a bit on the insulin thing while they posted that, I think. Though I am somewhat sure we already got a thread about all that markup BS somewhere here on this board....dunno where it went, though.

I just read that some 30 something people have been cured, with some even feeling better after a few days. It's funny that CNN or other media outside of China hasn't reported this yet. Has anyone living in the states seen news of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I just read that some 30 something people have been cured, with some even feeling better after a few days. It's funny that CNN or other media outside of China hasn't reported this yet. Has anyone living in the states seen news of this?
    Cured as in there's a treatment?

Either this news hasn't reached American news yet or the date on infected people getting cured is false, thereby not being used by news programs like CNN.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    This i'm not sure, i just read about it the other day showing 34 people that were cured. My gf says that one doctor that was infected went home and was feeling better after 4 days. I can't claim validity of this information as false true. I wonder if it's false data, but seeing how this is a new virus, we don't know yet.

Third case here now.

http://www.donga.com/news/Main/artic...126/99399407/1

Warnings about traveling to Wuhan and Hubei too and recommending to evacuate.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-01-26 at 11:44 AM.

There doesn't seem to be a cure or vaccine yet, but people are getting better on their own. *maybe with medicine, rest..etc?*

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asi..._138704705.htm

The remaining rhinos must be absolutely terrified, gonna need some medicine horns lads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    Either this news hasn't reached American news yet or the date on infected people getting cured is false, thereby not being used by news programs like CNN.
    Nothing has shown up on my WeChat yet. I'd expect any hard report, especially 30 cases, would have people buzzing -- particularly several of my students and Cupcake. Is it possible that you hit a translation issue and they're starting to see people discharged as recovered?

Addendum: Looks like I guessed close enough. Thanks for posting the link.

There doesn't seem to be a cure or vaccine yet, but people are getting better on their own. *maybe with medicine, rest..etc?*

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/asi..._138704705.htm

- - - Updated - - -

https://new.qq.com/cmsn/20200124/POK...&name=LenovoPC Here is the doctor that was infected but after several days of rest at his home, he got cured. There could be several variables at work, who knows.