'It's not fancy, but it works': Mississippi doctor uses garden hose, lamp timer and electronic valve to create makeshift ventilators

Dr. Charles Robertson, a UMMC pediatric anesthesiologist and the mastermind behind the idea, said he set out to make the "absolute simplest ventilator we can build with parts available in any city, you don't need special tools to put together and can be done quickly as the need arises."

Made with "primarily a garden hose, a lamp timer and electronic valve," the ventilator, named the Robertson Ventilator, for less than $100, can be assembled in approximately 20 to 30 minutes, meaning a dedicated team of four to five could produce nearly 100 in a day if needed, he said.

Demonstrating the functionality of the machine at a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Robertson turned on a ventilator hooked up to a mannequin. The mannequin's chest began to rise and fall.

------------------

U.S. coronavirus death projection lowered but official warns of 'second wave'

NEW YORK, April 8 (Reuters) - An influential university model on the U.S. coronavirus pandemic on Wednesday scaled back its projected death toll by 26% to 60,000 but a federal health official warned of a second wave of infections if Americans relax "social distancing" practices.

The downward revision in the death toll in the University of Washington model - often cited by U.S. and state policymakers - coincides with comments by some political leaders that caseloads may have reached a plateau in certain areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    In Estonia there are 1149 infected people, 102 of them are medical personal. One nurse died today.

Medics are getting hit hard with it
    Yes, it's one of the most sobering statistics of this pandemic.

CNN: 94 doctors and 26 nurses in Italy have died of coronavirus

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Meanwhile, in reality.

https://twitter.com/fiteray/status/1247843287697784833

First day the lockdown lifted and there are already videos of random people collapsing in the streets in Wuhan.
    Must be true since the source is twitter and tweets are never staged or fake. /facepalm

10+ Year Old Account

I wonder if he will step down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    First five words of the video: "As the CCP virus spread..."

Welp, didn't take long to eliminate any sense of journalistic integrity.

Hard pass.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    First five words of the video: "As the CCP virus spread..."

Welp, didn't take long to eliminate any sense of journalistic integrity.

Hard pass.
    Well it's interesting despite the unnecessary dramatics.
    IF WHO is really this incapable and non functional as he suggests, it needs a redesign and restaffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Those garbage subhumans at WHO deserve prison time. They spread China's lies and delay in critical info starting with even when they found out there was human to human transmission. Most governments looked up to WHO's info and planned their response based on that retarded "There is no need to close borders air traffic etc".
    532 pages and no real criticism of the WHO until the orange monster called them out. Then the unthinking shills come to bark his tune...
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    IF WHO is really this incapable and non functional as he suggests, it needs a redesign and restaffing.
    Nothing will be fixed unless the WHO gets a lot more authority, which its member states will never give it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Nothing will be fixed unless the WHO gets a lot more authority, which its member states will never give it.
    They don't need authority to make the correct recommendations to governments.
    They just need accurate data and political independence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The can only get data that is given to them[and which all other members can view] and political independence will never be given to them, as it only exists as a platform between the world's countries.

Accurate data that they can't get without states allowing it and independence they can't have while states pay their funding.

Lets be real here, if the WHO was the hard hitting truth telling agency we want them to be China would have simply banned them from the country years ago and we would have known later and with less information.

The world isn't black and white, sometimes playing along and being able to do a little is better then not being able to do anything at all. It sucks and shouldn't be like that but the world isn't fair.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The world isn't black and white, sometimes playing along and being able to do a little is better then not being able to do anything at all. It sucks and shouldn't be like that but the world isn't fair.
    Yeah, I guess humans will always be like that.

Latvia has less than 600 infected still, but more than 20 of those are medicine personel. It really sucks to be them right now and any losses they take impacts overall ability to fight this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Accurate data that they can't get without states allowing it and independence they can't have while states pay their funding.

Lets be real here, if the WHO was the hard hitting truth telling agency we want them to be China would have simply banned them from the country years ago and we would have known later and with less information.
    True, and I doubt China is the only country that would have disliked the truth.

So US intelligence apparently knew in...November that there was something going on in China, I'm curious how much of this virus they hid from the start? obviously they are still hiding the true numbers but...

U.S. intelligence officials warned in November that the coronavirus spreading in China’s Hubei region could become a “cataclysmic event,” ABC News reported Wednesday.

The military’s National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) documented concerns about the initial stages of the pandemic in an intelligence report, two officials familiar with the document told ABC News, which added that the document highlighted how the virus was disrupting life and business and threatened the population in the area.

Intelligence was reportedly obtained through wire and computer intercepts along with satellite images showing the new disease was not under control in China.
    So how would they know for sure that this was something other than the flu? do they have access to Chinese hospital computers? and my god how good are the satellites? god damn I'd love to spend 1 day in a room where they gather intel...

We already knew the dumbfucks in Washington knew about this back in January and did nothing for 2 months but to have possibly know about something that wasn't the flu in November and still not doing anything is fucking wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

I don't know, will Trump step down as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra82 View Post
    I don't know, will Trump step down as well?
    Pretty much this there's a long list of leaders who failed here placing the blame on the WHO is pathetic.

7+ Year Old Account
    There has been complaints by both external observers and insiders that the WHO has been too influenced by the politics of certain nations (most notably, China). This has lead to weird situations, such as Taiwan being barred from the WHA for years.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    There has been complaints by both external observers and insiders that the WHO has been too influenced by the politics of certain nations (most notably, China). This has lead to weird situations, such as Taiwan being barred from the WHA for years.
    DO you think China leaving the WHO and denying their access to the country would have made us more or less prepared for Covid when it reached the West?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I heard from a friend of mine that COVID-19 is saving lives in Chicago. The gun murder rate is down so much its off-setting COVID-19 deaths. Didn't check myself
    Hi. Me again. Remember when I said that was a dumb statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Today's Chicago Tribune
    At least 21 people were shot Tuesday, including a 5-year-old girl who was sitting on a porch on the South Side. A man with her was killed. Six other people were shot to death across the city, the deadliest day from gunfire in nearly two years.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.