10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Good news. (bad for old people).
    Trump will lift the "stay at home" and "travel ban" soon.
    its only good news for people who don't care about the aftereffects.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If you read the Red Dawn emails they make it pretty clear that Trump just ignored every warning he got.
    Had to google that. Well, this yeah, sums it up very nicely:
    "It is remarkable that leaders are reluctant to implement interventions that they will have to implement anyway when they lose control. Do they think the virus is magically going to behave differently when it gets to their community ? Why can't they look at the successful examples and emulate these ?"
    "Great! If we can only make the president, or some of these leaders, to say something at news conferences -- so that every infected State could respond in a timely manner, that would truly work. We are all connected, so we need to synchronize, that way, there's no room for the virus to wriggle."
    Most countries did this and to each it was a "surprise".

As for Trump - it does not matter, voters have chosen willful ingorance or are just that dumb. He will not be blamed enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He can’t do that that.
    Several states won’t follow through and must close state borders. My employer has already stated they will follow CDC, not politicians. They have also announced expansion to working from home policy for when we do return. So... after a year break... I am back to working from home. I like my coworkers...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Good thing he doesn't have the power to do that then, he can huff and he puff all he wants the power rest with the governors.

the ecosystem is recovering i hope the ban lasts longer. the air is cleaner. the animals are flourishing and the earth is healing
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    You can have no health care without an economy. Yes, it's sad that grandma Yetti dies but you need to look at the big picture here.
    Cool, you willing to die in order to make some billionaire some extra ducats then? Will your reasoning mysteriously change when it's YOUR lifeon the line? Or when you get older?

Fuck's sake...

Doesn't matter what trump does. He has no power here. The states are the ones handling this, not him. He could lift the "ban" all he wants. Until the states do so, hes SoL and blowing hot air.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/to...leS?li=BBnbcA1

A major pork plant closed. 4% to 5% of the total US production comes from this plant. I wonder if we will see more?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    70% of the adult US population is overweight. The white devils you hate are just as fat and unhealthy as black people.

Why do fringe leftists seem incapable of admitting that the black population is being disproportionately affected because they are being disproportionately INFECTED, in no small part thanks to the actions of many within their communities?

I see headlines like "40% of Illinois COVID-19 deaths are black despite their only being 15% of the population!" and then it dives into how its because they are less healthy and receive worse care because racism and all that jazz... Then you go Illinois' state website and look at the actual demographics of the virus there beyond just deaths and 30% of the confirmed cases are black (its actually more than 30%, but 28% of their confirmed case reports had no race specified; so unless ALL of the people in that category are not black, its more than 30%)... Meaning they are dying almost exactly proportional to their numbers of infected.

Please explain to me how 'socioeconomic inequalities' cause black people to become 30%-40% of those infected despite only being 15% of the population...

EDIT: Here's Michigan's data as well, the same argument has been made there:
    https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus...173---,00.html

Black people are 14% of the population, but are 33% of confirmed cases (31% of confirmed cases, like Illinois, had no race listed, so likewise higher than 33% there as well).

Your argument might have merit if black people, being 14-15% of the population, represented 14-15% of infections, yet were 40% of the deaths... But they aren't, they represent 2-3 times as many infections as their population percentage.
    The reasons are rather simple black people actually are more obese and tend to have more underlying conditions than others. There's also the fact that people of black descent tend to have low white blood cells even when healthy. They work in jobs where they cannot afford to work from home therefore are more likely to be exposed. They also tend to be poor which means less access to health care and other services. I suspect the illegal immigrant population is suffering much worse than anyone else but they can't go to hospitals out of fear of ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Sounds serious.
    But then you look at the image.

Your abuse of data to create Alternative Stats remains maddening.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/to...leS?li=BBnbcA1

A major pork plant closed. 4% to 5% of the total US production comes from this plant. I wonder if we will see more?
    The state has reported 708 cases, the article says over 200 people at the plant have covid 19. Does that mean 1/3 of the states cases are from one plant? Or does it mean the 708 reported cases seems low?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The state has reported 708 cases, the article says over 200 people at the plant have covid 19. Does that mean 1/3 of the states cases are from one plant? Or does it mean the 708 reported cases seems low?
    Or possibly some of the cases at the plant are from people resident in other states. Sioux Falls is almost right on the borders with Minnesota (which has about 1600 cases) and Iowa (which has about 1500).
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-04-13 at 05:46 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Or possibly some of the cases at the plant are from people resident in other states. Sioux Falls is almost right on the borders with Minnesota (which has about 1600 cases) and Iowa (which has about 1500).
    Or it's possible that some are confirmed, and many more are sick but not "confirmed" because they're self-quarantining but can't get tested.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    No idea. Numbers are seemingly thrown around these days right and left. There's no way to verify them. For all, we know this plant was scheduled to close and they are just blaming it on COVID instead of poor management.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    They commended China in spite of their mishandling of the situation. Acting as though a country has done a good job when they've been dishonest about whether the virus exists, dishonest about the effects of the virus, and then only attempted to act in self interest by fighting against travel restrictions as the pandemic spread, is a problem.

I should also point out, we've already shown that the WHO is willing to exclude countries from the WHA for political reasons. The prime example is Taiwan, who has been left out since at least 2016 for political reasons. The fact that China is able to leverage control over the WHO in this manner is obviously unacceptable.

I'm not defending the US, but this whataboutism isn't helpful. I've condemned the US response multiple times in the thread, have called out the US for accusations made against them of unfair practices, and even criticized countries like Germany for putting restrictions on medical exports in place (though they were tracked back on after 2~weeks). To be transparent, I think the Trump administration has intentionally mishandled the issue and played it down in order to make the public feel safe, feeding into the good-old American exceptionalism to try and increase his popularity, and I think that pulling funding from the WHO, while compromised, is going to be incredibly unhelpful in an already dire situation. That said, the fact that people cannot take the criticisms about specific countries and have to instead try and redirect blame is the most frustrating thing in the world.
    I'm, not sure you're getting it. I have no issues with countries being critical of China, but expecting the WHO to do that, is ignorant at best. My point is that the WHO then would have to be critical, at all countries who were way too slow too react. Everyone has made mistakes in this process, ever single country and organisation, simply because the world has ignored WHO's appeal to prepare for a pandemic. Countries should begin self-reflecting at this point, which Trump is incapable of.

And calling it whataboutism is fucking weak, simply because you're incapable of understanding WHO's role and situation.

Latest Australian stats;

6360 cases
    3141 recovered
    61 dead
    239 hospitalised
    81 in ICU
    35 on ventilators

Today we have had 38 cases, making 5 days in a row of under 100 cases, and most of them are either plague ship (sorry, cruise ship) related or medical facility hotspots. The caveat is that this is over the easter long weekend so testing may be a little lower than normal.

- - - Updated - - -

And in other fun news, the CCP is cracking down on any references to the origin of the virus, basically requiring approval from the government before any research papers are published.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The reasons are rather simple black people actually are more obese and tend to have more underlying conditions than others. There's also the fact that people of black descent tend to have low white blood cells even when healthy. They work in jobs where they cannot afford to work from home therefore are more likely to be exposed. They also tend to be poor which means less access to health care and other services. I suspect the illegal immigrant population is suffering much worse than anyone else but they can't go to hospitals out of fear of ICE.
    It would be interesting to see how high infections rates are when comparing demographics which adhere to social distancing rules and which don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Latest Australian stats;

6360 cases
    3141 recovered
    61 dead
    239 hospitalised
    81 in ICU
    35 on ventilators

Today we have had 38 cases, making 5 days in a row of under 100 cases, and most of them are either plague ship (sorry, cruise ship) related or medical facility hotspots. The caveat is that this is over the easter long weekend so testing may be a little lower than normal.

- - - Updated - - -

And in other fun news, the CCP is cracking down on any references to the origin of the virus, basically requiring approval from the government before any research papers are published.
    I also read that the CCP is trying to push Germany and other European governments to praise how "well" China has done with the Wuhan Virus.

Also, Greece is luckily handling the virus issue well so far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...taly-and-spain

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...191043404.html

Greece is only using 10% of its ICU beds so far. About 2000 confirmed cases and less than 100 deaths.

However, it looks like the Turks are preparing another assault on the border, this time with possibly infected migrants they are busing to the coastline near to Greek islands.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...eece-l8pbvvg58

Greece is bracing for an influx of migrants from Turkey after satellite images appeared to show that Ankara was releasing tens of thousands of refugees from its deportation centres.

Greek forces have been put on heightened alert, further undermining a migration deal that has failed to stop asylum seekers turning to Europe, government officials in Athens claim.

The mobilisation follows intelligence reports and satellite imagery showing refugee groups being moved from remote inland areas to Turkey’s western shores — regions traditionally used by traffickers to smuggle people to remote Greek islands kilometres away.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-04-13 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    the ecosystem is recovering i hope the ban lasts longer. the air is cleaner. the animals are flourishing and the earth is healing
    I agree this is good for the planet give it time to recover some more.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It doesnt work like that.

Ecosystems are not something that recover in a few months. It takes much longer for effects to be noticeable.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.