Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is not good - there are cases emerging where victims who had recovered from the virus (and should therefore have been immune) are contracting it again and, in at least one case, dying from it.
    This could mean its impossible or extremely hard to build a vaccine against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Colorado ended up with two cases, the first in the airport the same day I was. I feel like it followed me back from China.

Might end up being safer for me to have stayed in China rather than come back with how things are going.
    You aren't the first person to make the observation. Fingers crossed that things don't get too bad here.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoholist View Post
    If you run the numbers the virus is actually spreading slower than it was in China.
    Are we so sure about that? Being we aren’t even testing properly

This is not good - there are cases emerging where victims who had recovered from the virus (and should therefore have been immune) are contracting it again and, in at least one case, dying from it.
    There are multiple strains, apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not a drill. ... This is a time for pulling out all the stops. Countries have been planning for scenarios like this for decades. Now is the time to act on those plans.
    -- the WHO

The article cited above suggests China's problems aren't as bad, because China's willing to just lock people up. Most countries won't do that.

No-one is above the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    LOL my god this country.....

The social media team behind Tito's Vodka has been hard at work telling people that its liquor should not be used to make hand sanitizer.
    I would laugh if we didn't have an issue of kids eating tidepods for memes. So good on them for trying to stop what they can.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The article cited above suggests China's problems aren't as bad, because China's willing to just lock people up. Most countries won't do that.
    That's the main reason why I believe China is being somewhat truthful with their numbers. A virus can't spread if literally everyone in the country is being strongly told or forced to stay within their own homes, schools and work places are shut down, and everything around them is closed.

That won't be the case anywhere else (except maybe N Korea, but who knows what is really happening there). No other country is willing or capable to lock up their populace.

Meanwhile in Australia, not only do we have ridiculous panic buying going on, but it appears to have breached containment in Sydney, with an 1100-sudent high school, an aged care facility and a child care facility all in lock down after cases appeared there, as well as a doctor contracting the virus from a patient.
    there's panic buying going on here too. stores here are all sold out of face masks and disinfectant is being bought in bulk. store i work for their warehouse is completely out of face masks.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Pandaren Monk
    I'm less concerned about the virus itself than I am about the secondary impacts on the economy. For example, I have a friend who works as the safety supervisor at an industrial bakery (supplies various baked goods to supermarkets in the region), and they might have to temporarily shut down. Why? Not because there is anyone sick. But because they're working with food, so they are required to wear face masks, and they can't actually get any because all their suppliers are out of them. Those kind of ripples through the supply chains can cause a huge mess that makes what is already a bad situation very much worse.

This thing is spreading mad in germany.. not suprising with how slow and bad officials are reacting. Few weeks ago they sent masks to china to help and now we already have a shortage of masks for hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This thing is spreading mad in germany.. not suprising with how slow and bad officials are reacting. Few weeks ago they sent masks to china to help and now we already have a shortage of masks for hospitals.
    I find it odd how it seems to not be spreading in Africa. To the best of my knowledge they had no more then three cases. I wonder if they have a certain genetic immunity or resistance to the virus strain similar to how Ebola didn't effect certain nationalities.

Though it could also be a lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.
    It's probably this.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I'm dang surprised places in the US havent started using that hand held temp scanner. In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    I asked my mom to mention it to a Walmart manager, guess they don't do anything unless told by the higher ups. T.T sad..cause that would help a lot.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    I find it odd how it seems to not be spreading in Africa. To the best of my knowledge they had no more then three cases. I wonder if they have a certain genetic immunity or resistance to the virus strain similar to how Ebola didn't effect certain nationalities.

Though it could also be a lack of testing equipment available to determine what is the virus versus other illnesses in the area mimicking its symptoms.
    no testing no registered cases

worst thing in this shitty diesease is a panic.

nobody knows how many suffered from it and recovered by themselves taking it as a general flu or cold

there were a lot of more dangerous and contiguous strains in the past years that also affected animals but nobody cared

smh people going insane about pneumonia now

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    Just as an update, I went out for groceries and the regular guys were back in charge of the gate. I had absolutely no hassle. Looks like more of the neighborhood stores are open again.
    "No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

Sixty years. One sexagenary cycle complete, a new adventure awaits.
    shadowmouse, previously bungeebungee

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    I'm dang surprised places in the US havent started using that hand held temp scanner. In China, you get temp scanned everywhere now.
    I asked my mom to mention it to a Walmart manager, guess they don't do anything unless told by the higher ups. T.T sad..cause that would help a lot.
    In reality it has proven to be fairly inefficient for travellers, and WHO does not recommend it, and some of the underlying reasons also apply for Walmart.

Temperature screening alone, at exit or entry, is not an effective way to stop international spread, since infected individuals may be in incubation period, may not express apparent symptoms early on in the course of the disease, or may dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics; in addition, such measures require substantial investments for what may bear little benefits. It is more effective to provide prevention recommendation messages to travellers and to collect health declarations at arrival, with travellers’ contact details, to allow for a proper risk assessment and a possible contact tracing of incoming travellers.
    "dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics" is a fancy way of saying that people take aspirin to reduce their fevers, and thus don't show up on thermal scanners.

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_ad...raffic-rev/en/
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-03-06 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You can't be sure about anything, but so far the spread is slower. If the spread is just as fast as in China we will be at 27,000 infected outside of China by the end of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    "dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics" is a fancy way of saying that people take aspirin to reduce their fevers, and thus don't show up on thermal scanners.

https://www.who.int/ith/2019-nCoV_ad...raffic-rev/en/
    Hey I avoided getting quarantined for two whole days during the swine flu epidemic in China using antipyretics (I did turn myself in willingly though)
    Hail Lilith and see you in Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by mmoholist View Post
    You can't be sure about anything, but so far the spread is slower. If the spread is just as fast as in China we will be at 27,000 infected outside of China by the end of tomorrow.
    The crazy thing is out of the ~80k confirmed cases in China, almost 60k have already either recovered or died.

So within the next couple days there will actually be more sick people outside of China than inside if not already.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    You'll have people up in arms about Gubbermint intrushun and their freedumbs if they had to be temp scanned anywhere.
    Even if it'd save their lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    The crazy thing is out of the ~80k confirmed cases in China, almost 60k have already either recovered or died.

So within the next couple days there will actually be more sick people outside of China than inside if not already.
    Assuming they aren't grossly underreporting cases and you are actually naive enough to buy into that crap.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future