1. #14401
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,568
    Hm from 1.st april to 1.st may 1095 people are considered healed. 94 died. (1439 infected in total)

    Still 250 carriers (60 are in hospital).

    7.90% death rate.

    Not sure if its a good idea to open shops and stuff here right now. Heck even religios groups want to open their stuff.

  2. #14402
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    The problem here is that if the US are going down, it doesn't matter how the EU will deal with, because we will be next, just a number, 1929.
    The issue in the US is not the US going down, Corporate America appears to have enough lifeboats and if not the government will bail them out gladly especially the current one. It is the worker class that will hurt from it.

    And obviously in today's world big economic regions have an impact on each other, if the EU were to go down the US would also feel that significantly. However both can to a point safeguard themselves, so it does matter how something is handled.

  3. #14403
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Hm from 1.st april to 1.st may 1095 people are considered healed. 94 died. (1439 infected in total)

    Still 250 carriers (60 are in hospital).

    7.90% death rate.

    Not sure if its a good idea to open shops and stuff here right now. Heck even religios groups want to open their stuff.
    Lol, you sure know how to count because that's not how this works. You forgot to factor the whole population.

  4. #14404
    The Lightbringer Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    3,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No.
    This is why I never accept arguments from those that don't live here regarding American society. Because you just don't understand and you never will.
    First and foremost...de-escalation. You have an armed population, some of which are likely in favor of the protesters, and that includes the very police that you fantasize will blindly follow orders. Think again. If I recall there are whole regions where law enforcement has refused to enforce lockdowns. And I'm certain this has in part played into decisions to reopen parts of many states. (And I'm looking at PA as another fine example) Politicians need to encourage the thought that everything is going accordingly...and it's all under control.
    You don't need to be American to understand a few things though.
    The image is chilling, i'm not even sure how the fuck the rifles these guys are possessing are sold to general public.

    You are fubar as a nation, you will never manage to disarm them, you are literally sitting on a time ticking bomd.

  5. #14405
    Pandaren Monk Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    1,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The issue in the US is not the US going down, Corporate America appears to have enough lifeboats and if not the government will bail them out gladly especially the current one. It is the worker class that will hurt from it.
    More unemployed people means less product demand, with less demand small companies will start falling... I could keep typing, its a stupid snowball effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And obviously in today's world big economic regions have an impact on each other, if the EU were to go down the US would also feel that significantly. However both can to a point safeguard themselves, so it does matter how something is handled.
    The EU already has those measures, but in the US is basicly everyman for himself, yes, big companies will have governement support, but other won't.

    I still see hoppe, bothe to the US and the EU. During the XIV century plague event, most countries managed to find solutions. The solution to this might be bringging the production of products from China back to the EU/US, and with the current whinning for China, i'm actually seeing that happening.

  6. #14406
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,537
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryDD View Post
    Because unemployment is magic money right. Are you all serious here? You're not asking where the money is coming from and when you'll have to pay for it?
    its that or let your population die of starvation and cripple your economy as a result.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  7. #14407
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    21,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The issue in the US is not the US going down, Corporate America appears to have enough lifeboats and if not the government will bail them out gladly especially the current one. It is the worker class that will hurt from it.

    And obviously in today's world big economic regions have an impact on each other, if the EU were to go down the US would also feel that significantly. However both can to a point safeguard themselves, so it does matter how something is handled.
    What I really really question is how rating agencies have the guts to downrate countries like Italy and make their life harder while the US seems to be able to just throw money out the window without any repercussions or fear of downgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  8. #14408
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    More unemployed people means less product demand, with less demand small companies will start falling... I could keep typing, its a stupid snowball effect.


    The EU already has those measures, but in the US is basicly everyman for himself, yes, big companies will have governement support, but other won't.

    I still see hoppe, bothe to the US and the EU. During the XIV century plague event, most countries managed to find solutions. The solution to this might be bringging the production of products from China back to the EU/US, and with the current whinning for China, i'm actually seeing that happening.
    Of course as consumption shrinks so will the economy and i do have concern for small businesses in the US, a group often talked about come elections but often left to fend for themselves in my opinion. Another thing to keep in mind is that when looking at the US you need to adjust your predictions per state, some states do support their citizens more than others. This is especially true how divided the nation is and how much of a mess the relationship between states and the federal government is right now.

    I would always have hope, being fatalistic serves nobody in my opinion. I will say bringing the production back won't be done, companies invested over there and penalizing companies there for goods they want to import here well, we all know how great that last trump trade war turned out. Strategic important products will resurface here or in the region at least as i am a big support of not falling back on blind nationalism and protectionism but for working out a plan or project that supports the whole of Europe.

    There are also opportunities to be had here for the multinational projects if done on an EU level means too much red tape and diplomacy. In theory infrastructure permitting you could raise manufacturing companies in certain regions that are highly dependent on sectors like tourism for these strategic supplies, no idea how realistic that is however.

  9. #14409
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I always feel kinda sorry for those that cheat as not understanding what you learned can always come back and bite you in the ass. Not sure how much things are changing, Germany just held their exams and applied physical distancing rules.
    Sitting too close together during an exam is weird; regardless of any virus.

    However, many universities (and assumedly schools) have switch to home exams, which take more care to do right to avoid cheating - and I'm sure there are other changes as well that can cause new unexpected problems.

  10. #14410
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What I really really question is how rating agencies have the guts to downrate countries like Italy and make their life harder while the US seems to be able to just throw money out the window without any repercussions or fear of downgrading.
    Rating agencies are paid for their services, people over value what they are worth. I mean we all learned in 2008 how reliable they were.

    For Italy it was expected, why it is being done now for just one nation and all others not the just the US are being left alone should raise plenty of questions about said rating agency their credibility.

  11. #14411
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What I really really question is how rating agencies have the guts to downrate countries like Italy and make their life harder while the US seems to be able to just throw money out the window without any repercussions or fear of downgrading.
    Because the job of rating agencies is to give accurate ratings to lenders, not to give feel-good numbers. (Not saying that they always succeed.)
    If lenders see that rating agencies start giving out feel-good numbers to countries there is a significant risk that they will stop buying them altogether - since they wouldn't know how bad they really are.

    And the ones lending (by buying government bonds) may be your pension funds.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Rating agencies are paid for their services, people over value what they are worth. I mean we all learned in 2008 how reliable they were.

    For Italy it was expected, why it is being done now for just one nation and all others not the just the US are being left alone should raise plenty of questions about said rating agency their credibility.
    France got a minor change as well from DBRS during the last month (outlook changed from stable to negative).

    US is different from Euro-Zone countries since they can just print more dollars without defaulting, and in time of crisis people normally buy dollars.

  12. #14412
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    21,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Because the job of rating agencies is to give accurate ratings to lenders, not to give feel-good numbers. (Not saying that they always succeed.)
    If lenders see that rating agencies start giving out feel-good numbers to countries there is a significant risk that they will stop buying them altogether - since they wouldn't know how bad they really are.

    And the ones lending (by buying government bonds) may be your pension funds.
    How do they work? Like, who pays them to produce ratings? They are not universally funded agencies that don't have to worry about receiving payments, right? I seriously question their value in the world and how a pension fund might be tricked into buying better-rated stocks that are garbage and received that rating just because someone paid the rating agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  13. #14413
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Because the job of rating agencies is to give accurate ratings to lenders, not to give feel-good numbers. (Not saying that they always succeed.)
    If lenders see that rating agencies start giving out feel-good numbers to countries there is a significant risk that they will stop buying them altogether - since they wouldn't know how bad they really are.

    And the ones lending (by buying government bonds) may be your pension funds.

    - - - Updated - - -


    France got a minor change as well from DBRS during the last month (outlook changed from stable to negative).

    US is different from Euro-Zone countries since they can just print more dollars without defaulting, and in time of crisis people normally buy dollars.
    I wouldn't say it is so much about feelings and while the US has deeper pockets than Italy, there is a system of support behind Italy while there's no collective debt in the EU. Don't misunderstand me i know why Italy has gotten a lower rating, i just find the timing peculiar that's all.
    As for dollars being bought more it is know that on the forex that US currency pairs are the standard but i wouldn't say that people tend to stock up on dollars, trade in dollar pairs certainly but it is not like gold so far i am aware.

    My stance about rating agencies is not something that i can easily be swayed on however as i don't view them as pristine institutes out there to give us a correct image of the situation. Regardless if the rating drop here was justified or not.

  14. #14414
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It should be repeated as many times as it takes: This is not a flu.
    I was talking about this earlier.

    You people need to introduce a word for Acute Respiratory Viral Infections real fast. I mean, when you say "cardiovascular" everyone understands it, right? But you cannot say "Covid is a much more severe ARVI than flu" because you lack the widely understood acronym for ARVI. Our authorities here said that sentence without a problem and everyone understood them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    He just compared Accidents to a contagious Virus with no Vaccine, it's not the same, Bill Maher did nothing to challenge him in any of the questions.

    People still need testing and Contact Tracing before opening society back up slowly. He has no proof that Herd Immunity will work.
    I think I know why you attack him. They say he appeared on Fox News, which makes him an infidel, a heathen, right? No matter what is being said, if it's said on Fox News it must be thrown into garbage? This intolerance is y'all's problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

  15. #14415
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No.
    This is why I never accept arguments from those that don't live here regarding American society. Because you just don't understand and you never will.
    First and foremost...de-escalation. You have an armed population, some of which are likely in favor of the protesters, and that includes the very police that you fantasize will blindly follow orders. Think again. If I recall there are whole regions where law enforcement has refused to enforce lockdowns. And I'm certain this has in part played into decisions to reopen parts of many states. (And I'm looking at PA as another fine example) Politicians need to encourage the thought that everything is going accordingly...and it's all under control.

    - - - Updated - - -



    And it won't ever happen.
    So get that out of your head.
    Then you have a failed country where the rule of law gives way to anarchy.

  16. #14416
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Then you have a failed country where the rule of law gives way to anarchy.
    You mean you have a Wild West where dangerous people are polite to each other because they don't want to be shot dead ;p

    But yes I agree with you, this behavior should be unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

  17. #14417
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    How do they work? Like, who pays them to produce ratings? They are not universally funded agencies that don't have to worry about receiving payments, right? I seriously question their value in the world and how a pension fund might be tricked into buying better-rated stocks that are garbage and received that rating just because someone paid the rating agency.
    They have value so long as the system works as its supposed to.
    But the system stopped working as its supposed to a long time ago and the last crash again highlighted it.

    You should watch "The Big Short" if you've never seen it before.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  18. #14418
    The Lightbringer PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I was talking about this earlier.

    You people need to introduce a word for Acute Respiratory Viral Infections real fast. I mean, when you say "cardiovascular" everyone understands it, right? But you cannot say "Covid is a much more severe ARVI than flu" because you lack the widely understood acronym for ARVI. Our authorities here said that sentence without a problem and everyone understood them.
    "The coronavirus is not a flu" is easy enough to comprehend. That's not the problem.

    People hear what they want to hear.

    Willful ignorance, not just ignorance, is the problem.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  19. #14419
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Then you have a failed country where the rule of law gives way to anarchy.
    Welcome to America.

    I'd draw your attention to when the Bundys occupied a wildlife refuge with a heavily armed militia back in '14 as a real example of armed civilians trying to fight the government through threat of arms.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  20. #14420
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    "The coronavirus is not a flu" is easy enough to comprehend. That's not the problem.

    People hear what they want to hear.
    Okay it's not a flu, then what is it? A diarrhea? No, cooties maybe? You don't need to sit home if you have cooties? How are you going to convince me? You want to convince me, I hope, since you can't really make me? See what I'm trying to tell you?

    People will call it "a flu" because they lack a better word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •