Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Countries with the worst infrastructure and oldest populations will be effected the most. Italy seems to be a shell of it's former self.
    True but what you are saying is the global figure wont match canada and other nations with nice healthcare (nordic nations etc), which is true. But as the majority of the world doesn't, actually the WHO number is probably quite accurate, and not disingenuous. If you think China is propping the number up wait till this hits india, africa, latin america (or properly gets a grip in the US).

Issue in the US is they have a shit medical infrastructure as well as they are no longer considered a developed nation in comparison to other countries who have the infrastructure and universal healthcare. Their citizens fear going to the hospital.
    For Canada, it will only take a single death for them to be right at the average.

Issue in the US is they have a shit medical infrastructure as well as they are no longer considered a developed nation in comparison to other countries who have the infrastructure and universal healthcare. Their citizens fear going to the hospital.
    This is a bit misleading though.

People who don't have health insurance don't want to go because they can't afford the bill. Illegal immigrants don't want to go because they might get flagged as illegal and have legal action taken against them and may also not have insurance.

I have very little sympathy for either situation.

However, I completely understand some folks not having insurance during difficult financial times because private insurance that's not subsidized by your employer is damned expensive. But there ARE options. Not having any insurance at all is your own fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post

People who don't have health insurance don't want to go because they can't afford the bill. Illegal immigrants don't want to go because they might get flagged as illegal and have legal action taken against them and may also not have insurance.

However, I completely understand some folks not having insurance during difficult financial times because private insurance that's not subsidized by your employer is damned expensive. But there ARE options. Not having any insurance at all is your own fault.
    victim blaming detected.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I wonder what % of cases are ever confirmed.
    All, most likely?

What real reason, politics aside, do you have to believe that they're not being confirmed en masse?

I mean, I can't speak for every state, but I think most states are reporting the data pretty well conclusively.

Washington: 136 confirmed
    Total Tests
    Positive 136
    Negative 1,110
    California: 114 confirmed
    COVID-19 in California by the Numbers (as of 7 a.m. Pacific Time):
    114– Positive tests
    24 – Cases of positive tests related to federal repatriation flights
    90 – Cases not related to repatriation flights
    37 - Travel-related
    23 - Person to person
    14 - Community transmission
    16 – Under investigation
    10,250+ – Number of people self-monitoring who returned to the U.S. through SFO or LAX
    New York: 105 confirmed
    Data last updated 11am March 8, 2020
    Positive Cases
    Westchester County 82
    Nassau County 5
    Rockland County 2
    Saratoga County 2
    Suffolk County 1
    Ulster County 1
    New York State (Outside of NYC) 93
    New York City 12
    Total Positive Cases (Statewide) 105
    That's 355 confirmed cases, just in the three states with the largest outbreaks. I don't see any reason to suppose it's different elsewhere, or that they're mislabeling presumptive cases. In the cases of Washington and California, they're specifying tests done, so that pretty much rules out presumptive positives, anyway.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

It's more from the fact that many Americans are uninsured and have jobs that don't pay if they aren't at work and can't afford to miss a day of work.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    victim blaming detected.
    Holding the person accountable who put themselves into their own bad situation.

Call it what you want, but using the term "victim blaming" to try and pretend they have zero responsibility for, or power to prevent, their own circumstances is ridiculous.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Has it been noted that Ted Cruz is under self imposed quarantine after coming in contact with someone that had the virus.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    It's more from the fact that many Americans are uninsured and have jobs that don't pay if they aren't at work and can't afford to miss a day of work.
    Yes, that is why everyone should want universal healthcare in the US, at this point that kind of security would help millions of people.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a human right in many places, being against it is being greedy plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    All, most likely?

What real reason, politics aside, do you have to believe that they're not being confirmed en masse?
    I'm not talking some massive coverup, I'm talking about how many people have mild symptoms and don't get checked. Similar to the woman that was in an airport so wanted to get checked when she felt ill, but the CDC said she wasn't in the risk category. I'm sure the positive test results are reported, but how many folks get a test done? We've had however many deaths due to flu this year, were all of them tested to confirm they weren't Covid19 related?

If the vast majority of people have mild symptoms, and self-medicate without ever going to the doctor, let alone getting tested, how would we know actual rates?
    Of course, similar discussion applies to the Flu, but I doubt the flu-infection numbers are just the number of people that have tested positive on a test.

That's 355 confirmed cases, just in the three states with the largest outbreaks. I don't see any reason to suppose it's different elsewhere, or that they're mislabeling presumptive cases. In the cases of Washington and California, they're specifying tests done, so that pretty much rules out presumptive positives, anyway.
    That Washington state home really skews the death rate for America, but is a good example of "untested until bodies pile up" I think.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Yes, that is why everyone should want universal healthcare in the US, at this point that kind of security would help millions of people.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a human right in many places, being against it is being greedy plain and simple.
    I don't disagree. But the US has had this system for a long time, people who live here or move here know what they're getting into. We need change, no denying that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    No, its government's fault. Government failed to control corporations that jack up prices. Even without universal healthcare that modern first world countries have, without jacked up prices, cost of insurance would be reasonable.
    Not denying that they are obviously responsible. Point is, there are options. Choosing not to take them and instead blaming the government for the "bad" options and going without insurance in a country where you know the risks is a choice you're making.

When there are no good options, there are no options. Having a choice between starving because insurance has to be paid and going bankrupt because of hospital bill without insurance is not a choice.

Don't excuse shit system.
    I'm not excusing a shit system, there's no denying that the system is overwhelmingly skewed towards people with money. I'm just saying it's not entirely out of the "victim's" hands. Throwing your hands up in the air and giving up entirely saying that it's completely out of your hands while doing nothing because you don't like the options is not really a good option either...because that's basically what you're suggesting.

It may be their fault, but everyone will be hurt by it.

The problem is not even restricted to your country since both the US and Italy have been exporting cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It may be their fault, but everyone will be hurt by it.

The problem is not even restricted to your country since both the US and Italy have been exporting cases.
    I don't disagree with this either. The system needs to be changed, and this is one of the main reasons. If some people who NEED to go, won't go because of their personal situation, the general population will be hurt and affected by it.

I'm just commenting on the system as it is. It sucks, sure, but it's the system we have and so it's the one we have to deal with until something better comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    What i find pretty ironic is that many Americans are talking about how China was/is downplaying the virus when our OWN gov't is doing the same dang thing. The trump administration is feeding and fueling the infodemic about CV. And nope...his followers don't care if he's lying or telling the truth.
    Downplaying? Your odds of getting it are 1 in 68,000 using global data, and the death rate is 3%, and the most likely to die are elderly and those with other serious underlying health issues. People are literally buying Clorox off the shelves as soon as a shipment arrives in. Panicking for literally no reason.
    Last edited by muto; 2020-03-09 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezmon View Post
    True but what you are saying is the global figure wont match canada and other nations with nice healthcare (nordic nations etc), which is true. But as the majority of the world doesn't, actually the WHO number is probably quite accurate, and not disingenuous. If you think China is propping the number up wait till this hits india, africa, latin america (or properly gets a grip in the US).
    its hitting nordic faction too.

most likely virus was in EU for months now people were just unaware and thought they had strong flu.

by now its spread everywhere.

guess somebody decided that world economics needed new opening. who cares if 1-2 bln people die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So which people are worse; the ones freaking out and hoarding everything or the ones who seem to think this is just the flu 2.0?
    both .

a) only staying calm and making nation wide quarantines can contain the virues

b) stop with idiotic comparing it to flu . MDs have been saying for months that for patients with complications it looks like combination of sars and aids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Downplaying? Your odds of getting it are 1 in 68,000 using global data...
    Bwahahahahahaha!

*wipes tear*

Watching people who don't understand statistics play the "odds" game is hilarious, although it would be more so were the situation not more severe.

What you should have said was that the odds that any random person (globally) has already gotten it are 1 in 68k. Many, many, many more will still become infected, so the odds of "getting it" are much, much, much higher.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Bwahahahahahaha!

*wipes tear*

Watching people who don't understand statistics play the "odds" game is hilarious, although it would be more so were the situation not more severe.

What you should have said was that the odds that any random person (globally) has already gotten it are 1 in 68k. Many, many, many more will still become infected, so the odds of "getting it" are much, much, much higher.
    And your odds of getting it will still be low and the death rate will still be 3%. Not to mention as time goes on we get closer to finding treatments, cures, vaccines. They’re already starting clinical trials of drugs like Remdesivir.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remdesivir
    Last edited by muto; 2020-03-09 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And your odds of getting it will still be low
    Why? Because you said so? Because Trump doesn't believe in it? Because unicorns?

Pick a fairy tale, any fairy tale.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Downplaying? Your odds of getting it are 1 in 68,000 using global data, and the death rate is 3%, and the most likely to die are elderly and those with other serious underlying health issues. People are literally buying Clorox off the shelves as soon as a shipment arrives in. Panicking for literally no reason.
    that's better odds than winning the lottery.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Why? Because you said so? Because Trump doesn't believe in it? Because unicorns?

Pick a fairy tale, any fairy tale.
    Because math?