100k new cases every day.
    36000k or 36 million a year

Relax!
    It will take 100 years to get to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Fact is, Japan due to its low air quality in their cities, they are use to wearing masks all the time, so its business as usual for them to wear them.

Western countries not so much.
    also fact, they wear it whenever they are sick or want to prevent others from getting sick.
    So it's indeed a social norm.
    But basically saying that masks are the reason why it didn't spread so much is just funny.
    It most likely took more than that. Discipline and respect for example.

Something most people don't have.
    Look at all the patriots that would "die for their country", but are not able to wear a face mask or stay at home and not party for a few months because "muh freedom"
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-21 at 03:47 PM.

Two new studies suggest COVID-19 antibodies provide immunity

A pair of peer-reviewed lab studies conducted by research teams at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in Boston suggest that antibodies created in response to COVID-19 provide immunity from the disease.

The studies suggesting one can't become reinfected with the coronavirus were both published in the journal Science on Wednesday.

"We have to be careful about making predictions for humans," Dan Barouch, lead author of the studies and head of BIDMC's Center for Virology and Vaccine Research, told The Boston Globe. "But I can say these data increase our optimism that natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity can be achieved in humans."

He added, "It has long been suspected that there would be natural protective immunity [after recovery from COVID-19] because most viruses do that, but that's not always the case. Our team found this data very compelling."

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Do not attribute ethic values to things that have none.
    It does not qualify as genocide, because genocide is targeted, a virus is not.

I get that it is horrible for the families involved but I really dislike the hyperbole and theatrics displayed by certain forum members.

Did Sweden fail to protect the vulnerable? Absolutely.
    Should there be consequences for the people in power? Definitely, if the Swedes want that.
    Well spoken for someone who defends mass murder.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Are you saying people are being deliberately targeted and killed?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Are you saying people are being deliberately targeted and killed?
    In the sense that leaving a bomb out in the open public and seeing who's unlucky enough to get hit by the explosion is miles better than singling someone out and planting a bomb in their house.

But this is MMOC, the forum where ethically and morally deficit deplorables consistently downplay and apologize for ethically and morally deficit entities and their ethically and morally deficit actions.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

Relax!
    You either forgot the /s at the end or do not know how exponential functions work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

And likely 10 times or more if we include all the unconfirmed cases, but the number of daily cases may change in the future even though it's been fairly stable for more than a month.

So far it has been the case of it exploding in countries one by one and then that country getting under control, and then another country takes off. Looking back it was China, Italy, and then Spain having cases exploding and getting it under control and decreasing, then UK and US increasing and plateauing off, Russia increasing and getting it under control with a slight decrease, and now India and Brazil are steaming ahead.
    We have not yet seen second waves, or large countries having confirmed cases exceeding 0.6% of their population.

Well, changing it to 10 years isn't that great either - and it's likely that after a few years the already infected have (partially) lost their immunity, and the virus may have mutated enough as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about the kind of mask. It's the willingness to wear one...
    I'll be jogging in an hour. And I won't be wearing one.

- - - Updated - - -

Pfft...some of the EU perspective tend to obsess over a paltry few... I mean a world war was started over one.
    yes let's just ignore the entire historical context of that so you can be intellectually dishonest just use it to further your obvious agenda. also why did you post when your going jogging and if your going to be wearing a mask? seems oddly specific to me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It's not about the kind of mask. It's the willingness to wear one...
    I'll be jogging in an hour. And I won't be wearing one.
    Weird flex but OK. I hope you'll at least have the decency to stay well away from other people. And yes, it's also about the right kind of mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Weird flex but OK. I hope you'll at least have the decency to stay well away from other people. And yes, it's also about the right kind of mask.
    just wait for him to start bragging about how he's going to shake hands with everyone he meets and take large deep breaths within 6 ft of everyone.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    just wait for him to start bragging about how he's going to shake hands with everyone he meets and take large deep breaths within 6 ft of everyone.
    Wouldn't be surprising, considering the shit people do. It's not confined to Ireland either, I've seen a group of teenagers/early 20s spitting at each other from my window just the day before yesterday. And if one isn't keen on believing individual reports from random forum users, he can easily fire up google translate and check the local news of many countries for themselves, and stumble upon countless similar idiots, such as this guy who filmed himself spitting on the fruit at a supermarket and uploaded the videos to Facebook. Which reminds me, one's probably better off searching directly in the social media, I suppose many such cases don't get caught by LE but remain on social media. I don't have any though, so I wouldn't know where to search in that cesspool.
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    Masks are pretty useless for the average person because they have no clue how it should be used.

See people at store wearing masks, with facial hair so it doesn't fit properly.

See people constantly touching their mask or even take it off and touching all over it and then putting it back on.

See people just cover their mouth, nose is free.

If it wouldn't hurt so much I'd bang my head against closest desk how bad people are at actually using a mask.
    Even a badly-worn surgical mask can help protecting others a great deal. It won't do the wearer much good or any at all of course, but at least it'll lessen the impact of those who can't (or won't) use PPE properly on those who can.
    ...and don't get me started on people who wear gloves and touch everything with them - first the supermarket trolley, then their smartphones or face. All of that despite the ton allegedly "viral" (but evidently not enough) videos about cross-contamination and TV ads on proper PPE use.

ok - time to review the results of the MSN virus tracker.

It sounds like all of the complaints about fake numbers have had their effect. For a while, the numbers dropped a LOT for no discernible reason. Maybe that really is what happened, there is no way to know. And it doesn't really matter what the US media says about it anyways due to their dishonesty.

But for what it's worth, here are the numbers as of 5/21, 5:30 EST.

US Fatal Cases: +1,518 up to 94,629. A drop of what it was a few weeks ago, but a lot more than the lows that it dropped to a week ago.
    World Wide Fatal Cases: +2,750 up to 328,462.

So according to the MSN virus tracker, over the last day more Americans have died to the virus than the rest of the world combined.

Here is an interesting other story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...y61?li=BBnb7Kz

Title: COVID-19 spreading through Southern, Midwestern states

Excerpts:

In the last week, 176 counties have started to see substantial spread of the virus. The vast majority of those, 159, are smaller exurban or rural counties. The increased transmission in those areas shows the virus's spread outward from its initial hubs in major cities like New York, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle and New Orleans and into neighboring regions.

But the virus is also beginning to attack some cities that avoided an initial wave, a troubling reminder that it could still infect millions of Americans who have so far been safe.

Highly populated areas like Tampa and St. Petersburg, Fla., are now reporting dozens of new cases. Collin County, Texas, in the Dallas metroplex, and Wake County, N.C., are also showing signs of broader spread.

So are smaller, more rural communities like Yell County, Ark., and exurban areas outside of major cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Columbus, Ohio.
    As the virus spreads to more rural areas, it is increasingly presenting a risk to President Trump's most ardent supporters. The 176 counties where the virus is newly spreading collectively gave Trump almost 53 percent of the vote in the 2016 presidential election, and gave Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton just 41 percent of the vote.

More than three times as many counties where the virus is spreading widely favored Trump over Clinton, according to Frey's analysis.
    Now it is possible that the numbers were kind of correct.

New York and other places initially hit hard: the numbers continued to drop, which was reflected in the low numbers last week
    Everywhere else: virus just started to ramp up

So the drops in the urban areas where the virus first stared more than covered up for the rise in the newer more rural areas. Combine this with stories about Florida and Georgia ... working hard to reduce the number of REPORTED cases and deaths, and between the three of these the low numbers from last week could be accounted for.

So, with this in mind, the newer increased numbers could be a result of pretty much all three of the above issues converging together in a very bad way. More attention to how states report means the numbers will be more accurate, the urban areas will stop dropping so much since they already experienced their biggest drops already, and the exponential curve is hitting new virus areas harder than before. All of these foretell larger numbers over the near future.

I have no idea how close this is to reality. It seems to me that stomping the virus out that is infecting people over a whole state will be tougher than stomping it out when it is infecting people in a city. Presumably there will be lots of "mini-shutdowns" once people get it through their heads that not shutting down means more virus and more people dying.

The US has politicized the virus so badly that it is hard to know what really is happening. My feeling is that the virus will continue bopping around the country for a long long time. As someone in a previous post stated, at the rate that the virus kills off people it will be CENTURIES before it kills everyone off. If his premonition is correct, the virus will be around in the US for a long long time.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-05-21 at 09:52 PM.

Relax!
    I agree with your suggestion that, in the US, the virus will be around for a very very long time. Maybe not the 100 years that you are predicting, but something that is definitely measured in years rather than months. In the US, it will take a while for people to acclimate to new social distance rules and conventions, which of course means that extra people will die from the virus. But as you stated very eloquently, it will be a long long time before herd immunity is of any use.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    While not that large, there have been such block parties DURING the lockdown, so it probably won't make a huge difference.
    It will, Florida will see a huge wave of Infections.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    all they would need to make it complete is cases of corona brand beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming as no great surprise to any person capable of critical thinking:

CNN: Sweden is still nowhere near 'herd immunity,' even though it didn't go into lockdown
    Sweden has revealed that despite adopting more relaxed measures to control coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had developed the antibodies needed to fight the disease by late April.

The figure, which Sweden's Public Health Authority confirmed to CNN, is roughly similar to other countries that have data and well below the 70-90% needed to create "herd immunity" in a population.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

CNN: Sweden is still nowhere near 'herd immunity,' even though it didn't go into lockdown
    except for one person. who is still nowhere to be seen.HMMM.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Doubt it, Florida isn't laid out like that. We'll see though, since hopefully the lockdowns in the remaining areas are coming down soon. 3 weeks to flatten the curve became 3 months to wait for a cure and the people gave up on it a month ago, so time for the government to recognize it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

So does that mean their actual infection rate has been similar to all the other countries that did lock down? Wouldn't the antibody rates directly correlate to the infection rates?
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."