Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Don't want to turn this into a religious argument but what was the logic behind Trump overriding state governments and making in person religious services essential ?
    Sorry, but Trump and logic...?

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't want to turn this into a religious argument but what was the logic behind Trump overriding state governments and making in person religious services essential ?
    Fodder for his base. That’s it. (He can’t btw, trump has no say in states orders there. However the legality of the orders about religious institutions is murky.

*Note: I am not saying that it’s ok or not ok to force religious institutions to be allowed to open, it’s just that the first amendment makes the argument murky.)
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2020-05-23 at 11:12 PM.

Catholic Church already said "nope."

Many of his voters are religious conservatives.
    And yes Trump has very little to do with religious values, quite the opposite yet many of his voters still are.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    She's a liar or a fucking moron.

We'll let Trump decide which it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Seriously?
    Didn't these people have basic biology in School? O_o
    as an aside in my public school district if you got placed in education disability program you could substitute biology for their replacement if you acted out enough by getting kicked out of class repeatedly or if your teacher just didn't want to deal with you (our hs's biology teacher just refused to deal with ed students the first instance of acting out and you were booted from her class permanently.in fact quite a few teachers engaged in this basically blacklisting ed students through this method.)which was just basically reading a book and answering questions about each short stort at the end of it and turn it in and still 'pass the class'. i know because i did it. so no it's not technically required for ed teenagers (in wisconsin?) at last when i was in high school. there was a limit to how many you could do this with before they made you retake the courses though. i think it was 2 or 3. a lot of teachers did not want to deal with my adhd and some would just refuse to teach me and send me back to our ed rooms.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-05-24 at 04:48 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Let's see how my county is doing with the social distancing so far this weekend.

It's going swimmingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't Trump and I another situation, a POTUS making such a move would exercising the federal governments duty to protect the religious rights of citizens even if a state government says otherwise.

Trump only cares about his own agenda though.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the first national week out has resulted in spikes in a number of areas and Memorial Day weekend isn't even over yet.

Hmm. If I was already working on Monday I'd definitely be staying home.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    as an aside in my public school district if you got placed in education disability program you could substitute biology for their replacement if you acted out enough by getting kicked out of class repeatedly or if your teacher just didn't want to deal with you (our hs's biology teacher just refused to deal with ed students the first instance of acting out and you were booted from her class permanently.in fact quite a few teachers engaged in this basically blacklisting ed students through this method.)which was just basically reading a book and answering questions about each short stort at the end of it and turn it in and still 'pass the class'. i know because i did it. so no it's not technically required for ed teenagers (in wisconsin?) at last when i was in high school. there was a limit to how many you could do this with before they made you retake the courses though. i think it was 2 or 3. a lot of teachers did not want to deal with my adhd and some would just refuse to teach me and send me back to our ed rooms.
    This is messed up. Our teachers do not have these liberties.
    These days, ADHD seems to be a popular diagnosis and is used to excuse many things, often enough that includes simply bad parenting. (not directly aimed at you)
    I know kids like these are a pain to deal with but still, it's the job of a teacher to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sadly there are many Churches in the US that don't follow what the Catholic Church says and have their own version of Christianity with their own leadership structure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Let's see how my county is doing with the social distancing so far this weekend.

It's going swimmingly.
    Hope all these idiots catch it tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Nope" about what? Because there are a lot of Catholic priests pushing for resuming services (which they partially already obtained in some parts of Europe). The majority of the clergy is in favour of resuming religious services, as a matter of fact - and whatever orders come from above are often ignored and enforced, so much so that sometimes local LE is forced to heavily fine priests and the faithful participating in religious functions who break sanitary restrictions (which is like poking a beehive, because zealots don't take it kindly when the police is forced to barge into a church and kick everybody out, in one case specifically because they had "brought weapons into the house of the Lord" - what were they supposed to, leave their pistols and SMGs outside?).
    TL;DR it's a very discretionary matter and whatever the Church officially says is rather moot because many priests make their own decisions.

Thankfully not all priests are idiots - a friend of mine for instance refuses to partake into any kind of religious function, even those that have been recently authorized, and routinely kicks those who aren't wearing PPE from the his church. He also drained holy water fonts and put hand sanitizer dispenser inside them instead, with a label stating "use this instead, I've blessed it so it serves two purposes".
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    If they do, they will spread it to people more at risk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    I just view this as taking the safety labels off of everything and letting the problem solve itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    These days, ADHD seems to be a popular diagnosis and is used to excuse many things, often enough that includes simply bad parenting. (not directly aimed at you)
    I know kids like these are a pain to deal with but still, it's the job of a teacher to do so.
    yeah quite a number of our teachers just didn't want to teach what they deemed disruptive students.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the parents, mostly. Before when i was younger and at school your parent siding with you over what a teacher said was a rare occasion nowadays and i hear this quite a lot of people who teach themselves as that it's the complete opposite, so i ask you how are these teachers suppose to create discipline and call them into line when their parent(s) tell them to ignore the teacher.

It's an impossible situation to be in, so it's a bit too easy to state it's their job. I also find it is not the teachers job to raise their child in the first place and teach them manners, especially not when they expect them to pander to the kid. Now i am not saying we need to go back to the times getting hit by a ruler or humiliated is the way forward but this whatever this modern day situation is not something that works either.

https://thecity.nyc/2020/05/brooklyn...-patients.html

So a company makes hundreds of millions on the pandemic? Building "temporary hospitals" without them even being used?

10+ Year Old Account
    Posted without further comment.

CDC warns of 'unusual or aggressive rodent behavior' in search for new food sources

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is warning that rodents are becoming increasingly aggressive as they scavenge for food amid a mass closure of restaurants caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

In an advisory posted to its website
    Link to CDC website

the health agency noted that rodents rely on food and waste generated at commercial establishments such as restaurants. Closures and limits on service have caused rodents to search for new sources of food and to exhibit more erratic behavior.

The CDC said some areas have reported "an increase in rodent activity" and that environmental health and rodent control programs should be prepared for more calls about "unusual or aggressive rodent behavior."

Residents and business owners can prevent attracting rodents by sealing up access to their homes or buildings, removing debris and heavy vegetation, keeping garbage in tightly covered bins, and removing pet food, the CDC advised.

The agency also noted the need for following established protocols when cleaning up after rodent infestations in order to prevent exposure to rodent-borne diseases.

Rodents have posed problems for several cities in the U.S. amid the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.

Washington, D.C., had nearly 500 calls regarding rodents during a 30-day period between March and April, according to NBC News.

Baltimore reportedly saw 11,000 "proactive" calls or online 311 requests about rats during the same period.

Chicago is also among the cities seeing rodents change their behavior as they search for food.

"As they look for food, people are noticing them more," Robert Villamil, owner of Chicago-based Crow Pest Control Inc., told the Chicago Tribune. "Rats carry disease and they’re very unsightly, so it’s a big thing. People are wanting to take steps to keep rats away from their homes."
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigStones View Post
    Building "temporary hospitals" without them even being used?
    It's a lot like purchasing a handgun for home defense and complaining that nobody ever broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's a lot like purchasing a handgun for home defense and complaining that nobody ever broke in.
    Not a good analogy. But I am surprised about the amount of money, for something that can be reused another time.