Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Im pretty sure that the Netherlands will end up like Iran. I mean 4 deaths on 325 infected? thats quite high already, and the advise of not ''shaking hands'' what the hell is that for a weak advise?
    4 deaths for 325 infected is about 1% - that is similar to the statistics for S. Korea; so not necessarily a problem.

The question is more - do they know how they got infected, and are they controlling that? The first case was from Italy, but then I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Places in the US are already trying to dissuade people from meeting publicly, professional sports teams are deciding to play in empty arenas instead of having them crammed full of people, other public events are being cancelled. Precautionary measures are being taken and recommendations are being sent, work places are sending updates and working to try and set people up to allow them to work from home, as applicable.

I'm just saying I don't think the military will step in and enforce quarantines, with martial law invoked. I don't think it will ever get THAT bad.
    I hope you are correct. I REALLY REALLY hope you are correct

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Im pretty sure that the Netherlands will end up like Iran. I mean 4 deaths on 325 infected? thats quite high already, and the advise of not ''shaking hands'' what the hell is that for a weak advise?
    You realize that is below the average death rate of the virus?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    4 deaths for 325 infected is about 1% - that is similar to the statistics for S. Korea; so not necessarily a problem.

The question is more - do they know how they got infected, and are they controlling that? The first case was from Italy, but then I don't know.
    Plenty is done within the powers that the health organizations have. your average dutch citizen, who has healthy lungs, is not worried about this.

The first case was in germany, not Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarw View Post
    The first case was in germany, not Italy
    The first dutch case was because of a visit in Italy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're taking those statistics too much at face value, you know.

The Netherlands had their first case of COVID-19 via Italy only 11 days ago and the first death was only 3 days ago. It's still very early in the timeline for those 321 infected. Don't expect that 1% to last.

You keep touting that 1% from S. Korea like it's the most meaningful number. But they only list 166 of their nearly 7500 as "recovered", so there's definitely a huge grain of salt there. In fact, they had their big outbreak only about 18 days ago, so more than a few of those infected are still in early stages.

The global numbers indicate that the mortality rate is 6% for "closed" cases, though that number is conversely high due to lack of universal testing and non-reported cases.

The truth is more likely to be between those numbers, which indicates the 3-3.5% rate currently used by the WHO.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    You're taking those statistics too much at face value, you know.

The Netherlands had their first case of COVID-19 via Italy only 11 days ago and the first death was only 3 days ago. It's still very early in the timeline for those 321 infected. Don't expect that 1% to last.

You keep touting that 1% from S. Korea like it's the most meaningful number. But they only list 166 of their nearly 7500 as "recovered", so there's definitely a huge grain of salt there. In fact, they had their big outbreak only about 18 days ago, so more than a few of those infected are still in early stages.
    We will see, they are likely to increase a bit - but it will depend on other factors as well.

However, the point was to contrast the Netherlands and S. Korea (that have similar fatality rates) with Italy; Italy claims to have the same number of cases as S. Korea, but 7 times as many dead - and it's early in the outbreak for Italy (the numbers are still increasing dramatically).

Together with the fact that infections coming from Italy have been detected in many countries it's very likely that Italy has a lot more cases than reported, but the numbers in the Netherlands may be correct.

Obviously the numbers don't need to be similar: if you don't have a real outbreak only a subset with possibly different demographics is infected, e.g. lots of happy party-goers and skiers going to Italy a few weeks ago; and less 80+ with health problems.

Fun fact :

There are only ~19k confirmed active cases inside mainland China. ~61k have either recovered or died.

There's more sick people outside of China than there is inside.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post
    Fun fact :

There are only ~19k confirmed active cases inside mainland China. ~61k have either recovered or died.

There's more sick people outside of China than there is inside.
    And you think China is being honest about the numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    And you think China is being honest about the numbers?
    Can you provide a source that proves otherwise ? Or is this a conspiracy theory thread now?
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you provide a source that proves otherwise ? Or is this a conspiracy theory thread now?
    Excepting a liar to lie is not much of a conspiracy, but okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    They've already been caught fabricating numbers earlier in this matter.

Suspecting that a liar is continuing to lie is not a conspiracy theory.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They've already been caught fabricating numbers earlier in this matter.

Suspecting that a liar is continuing to lie is not a conspiracy theory.
    That article contains no factual information or proof that China is lying about their numbers.

I can supply you with the up to date stats from wechat's health app as to their reported cases/deaths/recoveries. if you want.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rumors circulating on various outlets that Trump might have been exposed to the virus.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Rumors circulating on various outlets that Trump might have been exposed to the virus.
    Matt Gaetz who is on voluntary quarantine, was on Air Force One with Trump yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Matt Gaetz who is on voluntary quarantine, was on Air Force One with Trump yesterday.
    The guy that runs CPAC apparently came in contact with one guy that was infected at CPAC, then he shook Trump's hand at CPAC.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If Trump dies to the virus he bungled the handling of, it would be one of the most (if not THE most) ridiculous example of self ownage in history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    The guy that runs CPAC apparently came in contact with one guy that was infected at CPAC, then he shook Trump's hand at CPAC.
    I was about to say that just sharing a plane with someone isn't the worst case scenario if you wash your hands and they don't cough into your mouth...shaking hands though...

Ironically enough I crossed paths with a PA today who went on a rant about how Trump gutted the CDC and there's a huge lack of leadership coming from the government. He also seemed jaded into people asking about the virus since the CDC isn't telling them anything useful. For all he knows someone could have contaminated the entire waiting room and there's no way to warn people until they show symptoms (because testing is inefficient)

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    just read there's a confirmed case in my county the panic incoming is gonna be something to watch
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together