People are wanting to stop people from China coming here now.

https://www1.president.go.kr/petitions/584593

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post

Yeah there shouldn’t be any outgoing flights from China until this shit is contained. I saw there was now cases in LA and Phoenix and was like well here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    I wonder the relation between these Chinese and the infection.
    People blame animals, maybe Canadians created this mutation and Chinese stole it.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...d-weaponize-it
    Funny you mention that, there were wechat groups *whether joking or not* mentioned that the virus was sent by the US for the trade issues. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Malaysia isn't accepting anyone from Wuhan. There are many that managed to escape Wuhan before the travel ban went into affect *this is apparent by people posting pics and vids of themselves in places like France with symptoms and bragging that they managed to get out* Not accepting any Chinese is a drastic move but is well warranted i'm sure.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Jinro Under the circumstances, it is probably reasonable. Hell, even China is restricting travel, at least at my campus those who have traveled outside of Beijing are asked to participate in a 14 day quarantine. :P

Edit: @Muajin76 The Beijinger is now running numbers for districts within Beijing, including fatalities and recoveries. Here's hoping that this 14 day "voluntary quarantine" thing doesn't become "since school will start late, all teachers must undergo a 14 day voluntary quarantine before starting their classes." If I were a betting man though, I'd say there is a high probability of just that.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-01-27 at 02:54 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

containment is important
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    This has been a fun exercise in sinophobia and an illustration of how unprepared we are for a pandemic.
    Well the problem is it has an incubation period, which means someone can pass the fever test coming off the plane, and go about their business coming in contact with 100s of people. Imagine if they cough and use their hand to cover it and then go on to touch some doorknobs.

Sars virus also from china btw ran for about 8 months and killed some 800 people around the world, think it will be the same. A few months and it will be gone.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Sars virus also from china btw ran for about 8 months and killed some 800 people around the world, think it will be the same. A few months and it will be gone.

This is the problem with novel new diseases that come out. Most of the time they run their course with minimal deaths people gain immunity and go back to business. And then once in a generation you get something like the spanish flu where one of these things mutates and just runs through the population like wildfire.

Docs in Wuhan estimate 100k people are infected. Rule of thumb for viruses, if you see a reported number. multiply that by a few times. this 2700 number is too small for a virus like this. It has to be higher. The situation is worse than what news and tv are reporting *for China, other countries i'm sure the number is closer to what we're seeing on the news*.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Jinro Under the circumstances, it is probably reasonable. Hell, even China is restricting travel, at least at my campus those who have traveled outside of Beijing are asked to participate in a 14 day quarantine. :P

Edit: @Muajin76 The Beijinger is now running numbers for districts within Beijing, including fatalities and recoveries. Here's hoping that this 14 day "voluntary quarantine" thing doesn't become "since school will start late, all teachers must undergo a 14 day voluntary quarantine before starting their classes." If I were a betting man though, I'd say there is a high probability of just that.
    My school requests that all teachers give a health report by 10am daily. I doubt all schools are doing this, I told my teacher friends and they haven't heard about this. I'm also one of the few teachers I know of that are in their school's teacher wechat group. My school follows the govt pretty strictly, so if something gets passed down, my school does it and requires me to also. hehe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    This has been a fun exercise in sinophobia and an illustration of how unprepared we are for a pandemic.
    Well, you have to take into account the piss poor handling of the initial situation by China's central govt. Docs were told NOT to spread the information about the symptoms for a few weeks, until the first international case broke, prompting China to mention it. It's not a matter of being unprepared, it's not learning their lesson from the SARS outbreak.
    Granted, Xi is doing everything he can to handle the situation now, i'll give him that much!

It just got diagnosed 30km from where I live in Germany.

I'll start writing my last will and testament tomorrow

Happy pandemic games, and may the odds be ever in our favor!

https://www.dw.com/en/first-coronavi...any/a-52169007
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-01-28 at 12:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's a map tracking infections/deaths/recoveries in real time:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Rumor has it 2 years ago in Wuhan opened the Wuhan Institute of Virology to examine exactly these type of viruses.
    Rumor has it that the evil west warned them since 2017 that viruses may escape into Wuhan...
    The scientists can tell if the virus is from wild animal or man-made.
    Of course, the DNA sequence provided by China is ok, but people suspect it has many versions.

As for the Sars only killed 800 people, it is cry wolf.
    Eventually, a wolf will come.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-01-28 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

The problem with this is that it's not reliable. At least for the infections. Not all are reported. Things are different outside of China, cases are reported. Here many don't trust the govt, so not all are reported.

This was from two days ago, paints a rather unpleasant picture in terms of lack of government action and preparedness. It's hard to get a clear picture of whats happening and how fast spreading/deadly this disease is when the Chinese government doesn't volunteer information, and shuts down the internet of large sections of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post

This was from two days ago, paints a rather unpleasant picture in terms of lack of government action and preparedness. It's hard to get a clear picture of whats happening and how fast spreading/deadly this disease is when the Chinese government doesn't volunteer information, and shuts down the internet of large sections of the country.
    At first it was completely restrictive regarding the information getting out. Now, you have many outlets of info coming from Chinese citizens. Many here are getting increasingly angry and frustrated at how the govt handled the situation/still handling it. SARS was different as it was a new virus and the govt promised to be better prepared. Fast forward 18 years and the same thing happened initially, so i can fully understand how the Chinese feel. At least we have the CDC getting involved and going to wuhan to find out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    SARS was different as it was a new virus and the govt promised to be better prepared. Fast forward 18 years and the same thing happened initially
    That was a different time and different environment, I was here during SARS. Back then, news was going around through SMS and OICQ. Purely as a personal perception, reaction has been faster and more transparent, but we're living in times shaped by WeChat and JD.com where people expect instant results and constant feedback. On top of that, this ramped up while people were starting an extended holiday. Their holiday went to hell and there are now a lot of unhappy people with a phone in their hand, free time, and getting "follows" is a thing for many of them.

I'm taking it all, whether WeChat or government announcements, with a huge dose of salt. Remember, TiC, on a good day and with the best of intentions, they use an indirect communication model that often leaves even the Chinese wondering what the hell was just said.

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde
    and shuts down the internet of large sections of the country.
    Wait, what? Where? When?

Filters the hell out of it, certainly, but is it being shut down now?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Nice find on the map. That shit is literally all over China.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Last edited by muto; 2020-01-28 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was an article linked by a student that I haven't been able to get a link to, but it is estimated that 5 million people left Wuhan for Spring Festival before things were locked down.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Nice find on the map. That shit is literally all over China.
    You see that CNN says 4000 cases now? This is not surprising. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the number of infected people are well over 4000, cause not every infected person is known. Rule of thumb with a virus, especially one like this. Wuhan doctors estimate the infected number to be well over 4000, which is more realistic. I won't be surprised at all if Beijing or any other tier 3 city does the same lock-down as Wuhan. Of course it will suck ass, but it wouldn't be a shocker.
    Last edited by Muajin76; 2020-01-28 at 08:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    The problem with this is that it's not reliable. At least for the infections. Not all are reported. Things are different outside of China, cases are reported. Here many don't trust the govt, so not all are reported.
    I'm sure the infected number is a lot larger, but the map is not a video game, it's not going to report an infection as soon as it starts in someone.
    It has to be reported. It does its job.

Anyway i went to bed and it showed a bit over 2900 infected and 82 deaths.
    Woke up to 4474 infected and 107 deaths.