10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Yes, I would say that the owner of this business having to shut down their source of income for them and possibly whatever family they had is a tragedy.
    You know what else is a tragedy?

The owner of this business catching COVID and dying, which permanently sets their potential future earnings to....zero.

Businesses can be rebuilt. Lives can't.

I don't know how many people would have died to Covid, if any, if this business were allowed to stay open with restrictions, but we'll never know.
    Actually, we do. We have a whole host of infectious disease experts telling you precisely what sort of scenario's you'd be looking at, you not knowing is a function of deliberately ignoring them because you think they're politically motivated.

Which, again, is solely a function of the fact that the MAGA Marchers can't ever been seen to have made a mistake and turned the existence of a deadly disease into a political issue because their cult leader doesn't like wearing a mask, and because the GDP number would go down.

It was just shut down by government mandate, seemingly arbitrarily and without any kind of debate or discourse. Simply government mandate. We mourn loved ones who pass away, and we mourn financial ruin. Suffering is a spectrum.
    Equating financial ruin with the loss of a life, huh? Man you sure are gonna be disappointed when I tell you how many businesses depend on illegal immigrants for labor, too. Was Kate Steinle's death worth the economic gain, in your view?

Cause I distinctly remember that being dragged up as support of mass deportations, regardless of the economic damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would say that the owner of this business having to shut down their source of income for them and possibly whatever family they had is a tragedy. I don't know how many people would have died to Covid, if any, if this business were allowed to stay open with restrictions, but we'll never know. It was just shut down by government mandate, seemingly arbitrarily and without any kind of debate or discourse. Simply government mandate. We mourn loved ones who pass away, and we mourn financial ruin. Suffering is a spectrum.
    If people actually cared about the small businesses then they would have done everything in their power to slow the spread before it got to the point of direct intervention. People would support social programs to assist small businesses in in times like these so they can safely take precautions without taking food from their tables.

It costs society so much to alive these places open and continue to strain healthcare than to close them down. It costs a lot less to pay for a small business to close for a few months than the what lost of life and full hospital beds do to an economy.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Then your problem should be with Trump and the way America has mishandled the pandemic. Not China.

Deaths in China from Covid-19 - 4,653

Deaths in USA from Covid-19 - 149K+

China dealt with their crisis. The United States is making it worse.
    My problem is with China. USA isn't the only country that got hurt.
    They hid the virus.
    They misinformed.
    They arrested the doctors who tried to warn the world.
    And many more i am too lazy to type right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If people actually cared about the small businesses then they would have done everything in their power to slow the spread before it got to the point of direct intervention. People would support social programs to assist small businesses in in times like these so they can safely take precautions without taking food from their tables.

It costs society so much to alive these places open and continue to strain healthcare than to close them down. It costs a lot less to pay for a small business to close for a few months than the what lost of life and full hospital beds do to an economy.
    But that'd be giving free money to people who didn't earn it, you see.

There's always a neat excuse, and there's never any guiding principle besides "greed is good". Not life, not liberty, not the pursuit of happiness.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Well I didn't fail. My situation is perfect. I live in a village by seaside far to anything.
    I am simply better than you.
    So you have no idea what you are talking about about and choose consume information from the worst possible sources without an ounce of critical thinking. If that makes you better then I am perfectly fine on what imaginary ledge you think I'm on.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but close. I read it on twitter of WHO.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/statu...43229427761152

WHOOPS
    And they retracted that statement in light of new findings.

Remind me how you people think the scientific method works, again?

So you have no idea what you are talking about about and choose consume information from the worst possible sources without an ounce of critical thinking. If that makes you better then I am perfectly fine on what imaginary ledge you think I'm on.
    Still doesn't change the fact the virus is named "Chinese Wuhan Virus", this is from the best resources i assure you sir.

They hid the virus.
    They misinformed.
    And Trump hasn't done any of these things? He downplayed the virus. He has been spreading misinformation about the virus since it began. He is attacking the lead doctor in charge of infectious diseases. He prevented some states from receiving needed medical equipment because of his political bias.

And many more, but you are too lazy to care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And they retracted that statement in light of new findings.

Remind me how you people think the scientific method works, again?
    Well, if you can tell me how scientific it is to parrot what chinese told you without any studies then i will tell you how i think.
    And we know the virus can be transmitted between humans from the doctors that Chinese government arrested. They were arrested cos they wanted to warn the world.
    And these doctors had spread the information before WHO tweeted/parroted this tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by headfistass View Post
    now now, lets not get too upset, considering how upset all these ghouls will be when this attitude leads to a sweeping defeat for Trump in November.
    I'm in Florida.

I'm over being nice about it.

3+ Year Old Account
    They hid the virus.
    They misinformed.
    I'm going to cut to the chance here because why on earth are you wrapped up on the fact it came from china, when china happens to have an authoritarian government other than to push this narrative that China needs to be punished for it. so here's my question: when are you signing up for army?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I'm in Florida.

I'm over being nice about it.
    you know what, fair enough.

Losing their source of income, I don't think these businesses can just re-open. They're not temporarily closed, the real estate is up for sale. The business is lost.

3+ Year Old Account
    Losing their source of income, I don't think these businesses can just re-open. They're not temporarily closed, the real estate is up for sale. The business is lost.
    "if only the government did more for small businesses instead of giving giant corporations a blank check that they don't have to pay back!" is what I hope you're arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    And Trump hasn't done any of these things? He downplayed the virus. He has been spreading misinformation about the virus since it began. He is attacking the lead doctor in charge of infectious diseases. He prevented some states from receiving needed medical equipment because of his political bias.

And many more, but you are too lazy to care about that.
    I am not caring what trump did. I don't care.
    This is Chinese Wuhan Virus and evil doing of chinese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still doesn't change the fact the virus is named "Chinese Wuhan Virus", this is from the best resources i assure you sir.
    If you really want to be technical, the virus strain that's having its way with the US is from Europe. Im sure your sources told you that.

Quote Originally Posted by headfistass View Post
    I'm going to cut to the chance here because why on earth are you wrapped up on the fact it came from china, when china happens to have an authoritarian government other than to push this narrative that China needs to be punished for it. so here's my question: when are you signing up for army?

- - - Updated - - -
    Why would i try to hide such thing if I wasn't guilty and allow many die?

Anyways, i served in my country 17 years ago on mountains with the expectation of getting ambushed any moment.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really want to be technical, the virus strain that's having its way with the US is from Europe. Im sure your sources told you that.
    Yep cos on those times there were many fairs in Italy which thousands of chinese companies attended. Pretty normal to me.

To give an example of the arbitrary nature, JCPenney is on the brink of financial ruin, while Walmart is not. Why? Because Walmart also sells food, and if you happen to be in there for some beef, you can also pick up some apparel or jewelry. Now, if JCPenney had a deli on the side, they'd be in much better shape.

Similarly, protests in the street with many not wearing masks, demonstrably on video, that does not increase Covid transfer according to media reports. But people attending a funeral for dead loved ones, with masks and and social distancing, that would help to spread the disease. It's all very arbitrary. One would be forgiven for being frustrated and angry.

To give an example of the arbitrary nature, JCPenney is on the brink of financial ruin, while Walmart is not. Why? Because Walmart also sells food, and if you happen to be in there for some beef, you can also pick up some apparel or jewelry. Now, if JCPenney had a deli on the side, they'd be in much better shape.

Similarly, protests in the street with many not wearing masks, demonstrably on video, that does not increase Covid transfer according to media reports. But people attending a funeral for dead loved ones, with masks and and social distancing, those would help to spread the disease. It's all very arbitrary. One would be forgiven for being frustrated and angry.
    It's not media reports.

Jesus fucking wept.

10+ Year Old Account

Similarly, protests in the street with many not wearing masks, demonstrably on video, that does not increase Covid transfer according to media reports. But people attending a funeral for dead loved ones, with masks and and social distancing, those would help to spread the disease. It's all very arbitrary. One would be forgiven for being frustrated and angry.
    JCPenney was looking bad before the pandemic, a lot of it because they didn't embrace to move to online retail. Walmart on the other hand has leaned in hard on online retail.

3+ Year Old Account
    Why would i try to hide such thing if I wasn't guilty and allow many die?

Anyways, i served in my country 17 years ago on mountains with the expectation of getting ambushed any moment.
    how is this any different from Trump telling the CDC not to report COVID deaths? it's almost as if authoritarians care about not losing face more than peoples general welfare.

that doesn't justify a god damned thing you're suggesting.