Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So Russia is "hacking" for a vaccine they worked for years to develop...hacking others that have been at it a month or two? Lol?

And you think they'll randomly combine shit like mad scientist because that fits ur unscientific shitty tabloidesque current media?

You are all free to skip vaccine n enjoy the virus due to ur phobias.
    they worked for years to develop huh? rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    With data going thru HHS (conveniently the number of new cases in the US went down or stable on the very day they too over), not CDC. Nothing strange at all.
    It is about to get ugly. Schools in some states are reopening. Both TX and FL have positivity rate of well above 10%, and they are still going to reopen schools. The biggest problem is the Covid-19 tests. The instant cheap tests ($5 or lower) is still under review because of their high error rate at the initial and end stages of Covid-19 when the virus counts are at their lowest. The only tests currently available cost around $100 a pop including analysis. It costs a lot of money for schools to make sure that their employees and students are not spreading the disease. On top of that, labs nationwide are overwhelmed. Test turnaround ranges between 3 - 7 days right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    CAN ANY ENGLISH SPEAKER READING THIS WEIGH IN PLEASE?

Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?
    I wonder whether infection rate has peaked or whether we're at capacity in regards to testing like we were in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I wonder whether infection rate has peaked or whether we're at capacity in regards to testing like we were in April.
    Here is the number of Covid-19 tests given in the US on a daily basis. The test numbers are trending down. We are doing less tests.

https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?

I think PhaelixWW is wrong about what the English word "peak" means. Confirm/deny?

last time the world has "Peaked" somewhere around here

What makes you think the current peak is the final one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Which fact? That no country except one outlier could reach 3% cases?
    No, the fact that even though no country except one outlier have reached 3%, it's not because of any kind of "soft cap".

You were wrong BTW when you were talking about passage of time a few posts back; it's testing coverage that matters, not time itself.
    You don't think time matters in an infection timeline? Wow, that's... special. I mean, testing coverage matters, too, but trying to pretend that time doesn't matter is absolutely ridiculous.

So you can't. Which means my 3% conjecture remains correct.
    Your "3% conjecture" was never correct to being with, so it certainly can't "remain" so. And "I don't need to" isn't the same as "I can't." On the contrary, I've already, at length, explained the evidence that points out the obvious flaws in your theory.

PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over"...
    Good lord, you can't even get your errors correct. I used "is over" figuratively to mean "has peaked", not the other way around, in relation to your position. And the context was immediately, and clearly, described in the follow-up sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And you're wrong, because you're presupposing that this pandemic is over already. You steadfastly refuse to believe that case counts can and will go up again if people relax their measures... all while saying that countries should relax measures or risk being a "nation of paupers". It's such a myopic viewpoint that I'm surprised you don't walk into walls all the time.
    And again, I never mistook your position; you just failed to understand my characterization of it, which changes nothing.

...and that dictionaries are not to be trusted.
    Lulz. I explain to you that dictionaries concern themselves with literal definitions, not figurative meanings, and even link for you the definition of "figuratively", and your takeaway is that I think dictionaries are "not to be trusted"?

(There's really not an eyeroll emoji big enough t do this one justice.)

Aaaaand so today's total is at 274k so far. We still have ~10k or so remaining to add from countries that still haven't finished reporting for the day, which means the daily count will likely end up at around 284k. That's 13k above last Wednesday's total, meaning that the new 7-day average after today is finished will be around 261200.

So allow me to predict your next question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep
    Which is bigger, 260283 or 261200?
    (Ahem.) That would be 261200.

I guess there's a new "peak", huh?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It is about to get ugly. Schools in some states are reopening. Both TX and FL have positivity rate of well above 10%, and they are still going to reopen schools. The biggest problem is the Covid-19 tests. The instant cheap tests ($5 or lower) is still under review because of their high error rate at the initial and end stages of Covid-19 when the virus counts are at their lowest. The only tests currently available cost around $100 a pop including analysis. It costs a lot of money for schools to make sure that their employees and students are not spreading the disease. On top of that, labs nationwide are overwhelmed. Test turnaround ranges between 3 - 7 days right now.
    In Georgia, Trump supporters are making emotional appeals about how important it is for them to go to school in person and without masks. Don't let fearful people restrict my freedom! is their rallying cry.

At this point, they have the power. In Georgia, from schools reopening 1200 people are already under quarantine - after less than 2 weeks of opening - and as more and more places open up it will only get worse. The best everyone else can do is to stay away from these people so they don't get us infected.

The worst is yet to come. Hunker down and take care of yourselves and the people that you care about.

Aaaaand so today's total is at 274k so far. We still have ~10k or so remaining to add from countries that still haven't finished reporting for the day, which means the daily count will likely end up at around 284k. That's 13k above last Wednesday's total, meaning that the new 7-day average after today is finished will be around 261200.
    261408. Very close to your prediction.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Good point. Could be that late July peak only appears that way because countries currently growing can't detect enough cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    last time the world has "Peaked" somewhere around here

What makes you think the current peak is the final one?
    Nothing. I answered this question before:
    It could be just a local peak, hence "it seems".
    Daily cases can rise again. Another peak could come in the winter if the second wave actually happens, which is quite possible. Or maybe India could keep rising and carry the world instead of USA, exceeding current peak after only 2 weeks of decline. I said explicitly that it could happen.
    I was even right in details: peak from 2 weeks ago became local and India is carrying the world now.

And you're right too, world's rolling average also peaked in April and was flat for a while before it started to grow again. Wasn't over then, too. For many more months we won't know whether the current peak is the final one.

Ancient Mesopotamians created the great flood myth, where whole world is covered by water except the prominent peak of mount Ararat. They didn't know that just a little bit to the north there's a whole chain taller than Ararat. And they didn't know about Himalayas either, that's why the Bible says the whole world was underwater except one rather smallish mountain: Mesopotamians didn't know all peaks back then. We still call Ararat a peak, on a planet where Himalayas exist.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess there's a new "peak", huh?
    See above. No, there's no new peak yet, but last peak was exceeded, and I predicted in details how it happened.

No, the fact that even though no country except one outlier have reached 3%, it's not because of any kind of "soft cap".

You don't think time matters in an infection timeline? Wow, that's... special. I mean, testing coverage matters, too, but trying to pretend that time doesn't matter is absolutely ridiculous.

Your "3% conjecture" was never correct to being with, so it certainly can't "remain" so. And "I don't need to" isn't the same as "I can't." On the contrary, I've already, at length, explained the evidence that points out the obvious flaws in your theory.
    Facts disagree with your emotions

you're presupposing that this pandemic is over already. You steadfastly refuse to believe that case counts can and will go up again
    At no point did I say that the pandemic is over, or even will be over within a year. And I literally said that case counts can go up again. In other words, you're a liar, and your lies are documented. Calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...l-coronavirus/

Jesus christ Georgia is a fucking mess.
    Worse, Georgia just had two days in a row with > 100 deaths. These are the highest number of deaths per day in Georgia in the whole of the pandemic, and we've had a steady ~70-90 per day since July 20.

Meanwhile, Kemp is giving victory speeches, implying the worst is behind us even if we're "not out of the woods yet."

In case you guys didn't know, Brian Kemp is a murderous fuckbag.

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/sta...778398208?s=19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...den/?variant=1

According to Ron DeSantis, governor of Florida and Village Idiot for every village in the state, opening the Martin County School System is akin to the challenges the Navy Seals had to overcome in their raid to kill Bin Laden.

Few questions...

1. Who are the Navy Seals in this, the teachers? So does that make the students Navy Seals too since they're sharing the dangers I guess?

2. Did they sign up for a deadly mission? I don't think the children can give consent without their parent or guardian. Did the teachers?

3. What special training did they receive to surmount the obstacles in front of them?

4. Do they have helicopters?

5. Why does sound come out of Ron DeSantis' air hole?

I am so confused and I fear it's too late for me to process this.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...67651591012352

"Let's move on with our life! When they stormed Normandy, they knew there were going to be casualties -- there were going to be risks."
    I am so sorry that Lou Holtz is going crazy because he's locked up in his lovely home due to an ongoing pandemic. I guess we should just send out...*checks notes* a bunch of kids who are already risking serious longterm injury to play a sport where they aren't supposed to be risking their lives, out to the fields to risk their lives, and the lives of those around them, so that you can be entertained.

America has unironically entered the "Coliseum" phase of the empire.

For any history buffs, whereabouts does this put us compared to the ark of the Roman empire?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    they worked for years to develop huh? rofl
    SARS & Covid-19, both are Corona-viruses.

Corona started decades ago n China has been told for years to get its shit together, ofc they didn't listen n we got covid-19 which was foretold would come.

Russia is a worried neighbor n has for years been working on corona vaccines.

Another annoyance is Mongolia that likes to munch uncooked little rodents, hamsters or some shit n now Russia is worried about the bubonic plague spreading...

As Bubonic Plague Kills Another Man in Mongolia, Russia Starts Mass Vaccination Against Black Death.

https://www.newsweek.com/bubonic-pla...-1524592?amp=1
    BY ARISTOS GEORGIOU ON 8/12/20 AT 9:59 AM EDT

A man died from bubonic plague in western Mongolia on Tuesday after coming into contact with dead marmots, according to local health officials.

The 42-year-old from Khovd Province reportedly purchased two of the large rodents before contracting the disease, a spokesperson for the country's health ministry said.

The spokesperson, Dorj Narangerel, urged citizens to avoid hunting or eating marmots, which are carriers of the disease in the region, Chinese state-run news agency Xinhua reported.

It is illegal to hunt marmots in Mongolia. However, at least one person dies from plague every year in the country, usually after eating or coming into contact with marmots—a large member of the squirrel family.

Many people in Mongolia consider the rodent a delicacy, with the meat believed to provide health benefits.

The landlocked Asian country has confirmed four cases of bubonic plague this year, among a total of 12 suspected cases. In July, a 15-year-old boy in the neighboring Mongolian province of Govi-Altai died from the disease around three days after eating marmot meat, according to the country's National Center for Zoonotic Diseases (NCZD).

In fact, the NCZD said that 17 out of 21 Mongolian provinces are now at risk of bubonic plague cases.

According to Mongolian health authorities, more than 70 people who had recently been in close contact with the deceased 42-year-old will now be placed in quarantine and tested for the disease.

Bubonic plague is a potentially deadly disease caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis, which initially affects the lymph nodes, leading to swellings known as buboes. It has a mortality rate of around 30-50 percent if left untreated. Modern antibiotics are effective against the illness.

Although this is the most common form of plague, infection with the bacteria can also cause other diseases, such as pneumonic and septicemic plague, which primarily affect the lungs and blood respectively, and are invariably fatal without prompt treatment.

The Yersinia pestis bacteria is usually carried by small mammals, such as rats and marmots, as well as the fleas that live on them. The bacteria is typically transmitted to humans through the bites of these fleas. However, infection can occur after direct contact with the tissue or bodily fluids of an infected animal.

Thus, if people are able to avoid contact with rodents known to be carriers, they are unlikely to become infected. Transmission of the plague bacteria from human to human is very rare and only occurs when someone is in close contact with an individual who has pneumonic plague and breathes in their infectious cough droplets.

"There are rarely large outbreaks of plague. Plague is a relatively rare disease, showing it is quite hard for humans to be infected," Michael Head, senior research fellow in global health at the University of Southampton, U.K., told Newsweek.

This month, health officials in the Inner Mongolia region of China—which borders the country of Mongolia—also reported two plague deaths. These cases prompted officials in the nearby Russian region of Buryatia to begin testing rodents for the plague and issue warnings to residents not to hunt or eat marmots.

Meanwhile, the Russian regions of Trans-Baikal and the Altai Republic are also monitoring the prevalence of the pathogen. Furthermore, the Republic of Tuva, which borders Mongolia, has begun a mass vaccination campaign to prevent the spread of plague.

So far, more than 3,000 people have been vaccinated as part of the campaign in the region after "a large distribution of the plague pathogen" was detected in two districts, according to Rospotrebnadzor, Russia's health watchdog.

While plague—the cause of the infamous "Black Death" pandemic of the Middle Ages—is rare today, it has not totally been confined to the history books.

A few hundred cases of bubonic plague are typically recorded every year around the world, with most occurring in Asia and parts of Africa, although isolated cases are also found in places such as the U.S.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    SARS & Covid-19, both are Corona-viruses.

Corona started decades ago n China has been told for years to get its shit together, ofc they didn't listen n we got covid-19 which was foretold would come.

Russia is a worried neighbor n has for years been working on corona vaccines.

Another annoyance is Mongolia that likes to munch uncooked little rodents, hamsters or some shit n now Russia is worried about the bubonic plague spreading...
    Covid-19 isn't a virus. It's a disease caused by the virus SARS-Cov-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Worse, Georgia just had two days in a row with > 100 deaths. These are the highest number of deaths per day in Georgia in the whole of the pandemic, and we've had a steady ~70-90 per day since July 20.

Meanwhile, Kemp is giving victory speeches, implying the worst is behind us even if we're "not out of the woods yet."

In case you guys didn't know, Brian Kemp is a murderous fuckbag.
    Here is a relevant quote:

The state of Georgia now leads the nation in the rate of new daily cases per capita of the coronavirus, ahead of Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, California and Idaho, according to data published Wednesday by the Washington Post. Georgia also ranks tied for fourth in the per capita rate of newly reported deaths, the Post reported.
    The article that Edge linked: https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...l-coronavirus/

explains why. It's quite an upsetting article
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-08-13 at 10:17 AM.

Meh its behind a paywall.

Is the answer to why no social distancing, no masks and "muh rights"?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/sta...778398208?s=19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...den/?variant=1

According to Ron DeSantis, governor of Florida and Village Idiot for every village in the state, opening the Martin County School System is akin to the challenges the Navy Seals had to overcome in their raid to kill Bin Laden.

Few questions...

1. Who are the Navy Seals in this, the teachers? So does that make the students Navy Seals too since they're sharing the dangers I guess?

2. Did they sign up for a deadly mission? I don't think the children can give consent without their parent or guardian. Did the teachers?

3. What special training did they receive to surmount the obstacles in front of them?

4. Do they have helicopters?

5. Why does sound come out of Ron DeSantis' air hole?

I am so confused and I fear it's too late for me to process this.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...67651591012352

I am so sorry that Lou Holtz is going crazy because he's locked up in his lovely home due to an ongoing pandemic. I guess we should just send out...*checks notes* a bunch of kids who are already risking serious longterm injury to play a sport where they aren't supposed to be risking their lives, out to the fields to risk their lives, and the lives of those around them, so that you can be entertained.

America has unironically entered the "Coliseum" phase of the empire.

For any history buffs, whereabouts does this put us compared to the ark of the Roman empire?
    Adding more to the great state of FL in which I reside, a police sheriff just went full Floridian. I hope the sheriff faces some repercussions because he's putting his politics in priority over basic science and safety.
    Last edited by kail; 2020-08-13 at 04:25 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Only an absolute goddamn moron would take the Russian vaccine.
    So, 30% of the US will be lining up for it?

Or, wait, is the virus a hoax... uhhhh...

10+ Year Old Account
    Only an absolute goddamn moron would take the Russian vaccine.
    Jokes on you, a moron would never take any vaccine

I honestly don't know what to say...

...I hope it is as low as 30%?
    Cant wait for all those anti vaxxers suddenly embracing Russian vaccine. If the recent events have showed me anything, the moronic part of population is filled with contrarians.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't know what to say...

...I hope it is as low as 30%?
    TBF, a large percentage of the morons in this country are also anti-vaxxers, so it's kind of a crapshoot whether or not they'd be getting it either way.