Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    You don't have any parents, or grandparents you care about?
    Typical swedish thinking.
    Hah just my mom but she's good and not that old 50ish so no not really. She also works in a hospital but it's fine atm where we live in skåne.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    You're kidding, right?

The Black Plague killed around 50-100 million people. The Spanish Flu killed about 25-50 million people.

If COVID-19 isn't contained (which increasingly looks likely) and roughly 70% of the world's population gets it, then the current 3% mortality rate would imply over 150 million people dead from this virus.

Now, that's certainly a much smaller percentage of the population than died in the days of the bubonic plague, but it's pretty damn close to the percentage of the Spanish Flu, which occurred with a global population just shy of 2 billion, compared to the 7.7 billion of today.
    Well see.. dont think we should compare to black death and the likes as we wont get anywhere near those figures, this isnt the 14th century with shitty healthcare and hygine. Well except some places.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-11 at 08:18 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Hah just my mom but she's good and not that old 50ish so no not really. She also works in a hospital but it's fine atm where we live in skåne.
    I, for one, feel sorry for what your mother will probably have to go through working in a hospital in the coming months. Here's hoping that she stays healthy and comes through okay.

Well see...
    Seriously, try and find any health organization official who is even remotely downplaying the likely impact of COVID-19. Like even a single one. The people who know what they're talking about are all saying one thing, and your response is "We'll see.."

I guess we will.

...and i talked back then of course more people would die today as we are plenty oh plenty of more people around.
    Well, your response was to "How many dead people are you comfortable with having?", not "What percentage...?", but sure. The impact of the Black Death and the Spanish Flu were much more severe, both in mortality rates, but also in the fact that they targeted young as well as old.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I, for one, feel sorry for what your mother will probably have to go through working in a hospital in the coming months. Here's hoping that she stays healthy and comes through okay.
    Thanks man yeah well see how much it spreads here it does look like they have zero clue as usual here in sweden atleast they plan to stop big gatherings like sport event and the likes.

And nah mostly said that we should not really compare to black death and the likes as this isnt the 14th century with shitty healthcare and hygine. Well except some places.

But sure im not dumb i see how it looks and gets worse in the world and it's of course shitty and i do hope it will get better but i also know that it wont anytime soon and these things are expected to happen once in a while on this planet, but we do have it alot better atleast with healthcare and the likes these times around.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-11 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    You are right. There is every possibility it will be worse. We know next to little about this virus but what we do know is that it is causing perm lung damage and organ failure and we have no clue what the actual long term effects will be for those who survive.
    There are as far as I know only reports of permanent lung damage for those that have severe variants of covid-19.

10+ Year Old Account
    And it looks like the markets are going to close with the DOW down almost -1500 today, so we're officially going to end up today down 20% against the high four weeks ago.

Is there such a thing as a double correction? I'm asking for a friend...

EDIT: This was meant for another thread, but I'll leave this here anyway, since it's definitely related to the coronavirus outbreak.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2020-03-11 at 08:33 PM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Just so people know, if Trump gets this he is dead. He is not a healthy man just by looking at him.
    Trump, Bernie, Hillary, Biden.

I can't imagine any of them would fare well with it. Hell, even Obama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    There are as far as I know only reports of permanent lung damage for those that have severe variants of covid-19.
    The thing that's scaring me even more is that the infected in the US seem to have mostly contracted the weaker of the two strains of COVID-19. There are reports of people getting sick twice, which I assume to be them getting the more aggressive strain after recovering from the weaker one. So the US may indeed see two waves of sickness rather than just one, once the second strain makes is way through our system.

My hope, though, is that getting the weaker strain first may help people by allowing them to more successfully fight of the second, more aggressive strain. May not do too much to help the elderly, if they have to go through this illness twice, but it may lead to a lower mortality rate for those younger than 60.

It may, however, increase their chance of developing permanent lung conditions, though that is better than death, I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

And nah mostly said that we should not really compare to black death and the likes as this isnt the 14th century with shitty healthcare and hygine. Well except some places.
    That being said, can you imagine the converse? Like, forget COVID-19; what would it have been like if MERS or even SARS were let loose upon the world during that same timeframe? I doubt they would have been contained like they were in the here-and-now, and the mortality rate would likely have been much higher without modern care.

Yeesh.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    A colleague of mine just got himself a 14day worth of vacation(quarantine) because he was in spain from 1 of February to 7. He got sick 2 days ago so our company decided to send him home.

He did not even get tested or went to the hospital. I was with him yesterday

What a fucking joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Either you missed the point or I'm not informed properly on incubation periods for this virus, the point there was the he was in Spain more than a month ago. I saw some incubation estimates topping off at 14 days. It's 11th of March.

So he had to become sick like 15 days ago if it was indeed corona, not 2 days ago. Now they're sending him home another 14 days

The dude is constipated and didn't even have fever yesterday
    There have been outlier cases where it is thought someone may have had the virus in incubation stage for ~1mo. This is clearly not the norm. This still does not rule out community transfer.

Besides this, you now claim in your follow up post that it’s constipation, whereas your initial post made it seem as if you were thinking that it could possibly be the COVID-19. How are we supposed to glean from your post that it’s constipation given the context of your post, and you mention he got sent home, and he didn’t want to get tested, what else are we supposed to assume.

Not sure if you were just looking to start something, or what. But given your new info, seems like your post was just spam.
    Last edited by swiftowner; 2020-03-11 at 08:33 PM.

That being said, can you imagine the converse? Like, forget COVID-19; what would it have been like if MERS or even SARS were let loose upon the world during that same timeframe? I doubt they would have been contained like they were in the here-and-now, and the mortality rate would likely have been much higher without modern care.

Yeesh.
    When you put it like that yeah it would have been devestating.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Trump, Bernie, Hillary, Biden.

I can't imagine any of them would fare well with it. Hell, even Obama.
    Yep definitely going to be crazy when the older politicians start getting it.

Just so people know, if Trump gets this he is dead. He is not a healthy man just by looking at him.
    All the UV from the tanning beds probably nukes whatever he gets on him.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    There have been outlier cases where it is thought someone may have had the virus in incubation stage for ~1mo. This is clearly not the norm. This still does not rule out community transfer.
    At least some of these cases were later amended to be suspected double-infections: recovered from one strain, then got sick with the other.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post

Besides this, you now claim in your follow up post that it’s constipation, whereas your initial post made it seem as if you were thinking that it could possibly be the COVID-19. How are we supposed to glean from your post that it’s constipation given the context of your post, and you mention he got sent home, and he didn’t want to get tested, what else are we supposed to assume.

Not sure if you were just looking to start something, or what. But given your new info, seems like your post was just spam.
    I said he was sick and I never said he didn't want to get tested. I said he wasn't tested. wtf are you even talking about?~

He got sick 2 days ago
    He did not even get tested or went to the hospital. I was with him yesterday
    are you sure you quoted the right person or are you just so unbelievably mad I implied you missed my point that you had to go out of your way to miss my point yet again?

It's kinda funny how some people are completely incapable of handling just the tinniest amount of correction.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2020-03-11 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Ok that is pretty funny.

- - - Updated - - -

At least some of these cases were later amended to be suspected double-infections: recovered from one strain, then got sick with the other.
    I just got over a bad flu with respiratory/lung infection infection and the effects have lingered for like 2 weeks, hopefully I don't get anotherone once I inevitably get this.

That would certainly set off congress in taking things more seriously.

The thing that's scaring me even more is that the infected in the US seem to have mostly contracted the weaker of the two strains of COVID-19. There are reports of people getting sick twice, which I assume to be them getting the more aggressive strain after recovering from the weaker one.
    Another explanation for those reports is that they are incorrect, or isolated cases.

geeze the snow ball is rolling....

NCAA bans all spectators to march madness games. MLB up next. RIP spring training.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Any citation on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    geeze the snow ball is rolling....

NCAA bans all spectators to march madness games. MLB up next. RIP spring training.
    They just banned all spectators for shl hockey games here, not fucking good as it's closing for season finals and tomorrow was a big game (rögle-malmö) and we where going to support rögle in the (klack) where you stand and scream jingles to support the team.

Gotta feel shitty playing with no supporters as that's a big part of the games.

Too much fake tan inhalation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Lol, like he actually tans, it's all spray on.