Merkel just admited that they are estimating that 70-80 % of germans will catch the virus.

if germans admit they are unable to contain it lets be real no country can viably contain it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Merkel just admited that they are estimating that 70-80 % of germans will catch the virus.

if germans admit they are unable to contain it lets be real no country can viably contain it.
    If anything germany is a very bad example of how to handle this. I'm sure pretty much any country can and will do better. Reacting too slow and soft.. not banning mass events / travel from italy / china. Letting carnival events happen when it already had hit italy was just a joke.

The battle isn't to stop people catching the virus. That's close to impossible unless you shut all of your borders and quarantine everyone. The battle is to delay the spread so the medical infrastructure can manage the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    The battle isn't to stop people catching the virus. That's close to impossible unless you shut all of your borders and quarantine everyone. The battle is to delay the spread so the medical infrastructure can manage the load.
    I already explained that some pages ago but some people don't seen to get the concept.
    Let's see if an image is more descriptive:

4-5k dead so far world wide is still a very low number when you realise how many people there are, some 400 infected here but no deaths so far just a matter of time though. Also mostly elderly and weak that dies.

Wonder how the planet would handle a new black death scenario if it's that hard to stop this one.

Would probably be good for the planet but humanity would be fucked seeing how many people we are compared to back then.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2020-03-11 at 10:48 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what did I say that was wrong, I'd love to hear the "correction".

you left out the part about ghosting most threads the second you are proven wrong, hypocrite.
    Lol bullshit, if I am ever proven wrong I admit being wrong because unlike a lot of people here I man up to my mistakes. If I stop repying to a thread it's because I already made my point and I am not going to argue in circles. That's some flat earther logic right there "oh look he stopped replying to me guess he finally realizes I am right the earth is flat"

And voila, a few newspaper blaming Noord-Brabant .. comments are all discrimating and rascistic against the ''brabo's''. Great. People losing there mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    *did read something called canine coronavirus..but not sure what that is to be honest*
    A coronavirus infecting dogs, of course.

COVID-19 is caused by one specific new coronavirus, in humans other coronaviruses cause SARS and some cases of the common cold (but most cases of the common cold are caused by other viruses). Other coronaviruses also exist in animals (bats, alpacas, dogs, birds) etc. Generally they don't spread between animals, and all coronaviruses have some similarities - but also large differences (so it's not strange that mild cases of Covid-19 sound similar to the common cold; the difference is that some cases are not that mild). Oh, and some canine coronaviruses infect puppies more than adult dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    2-4% is with proper medical care. If you're getting enough cases that ICUs and hospitals are being overwhelmed (which won't take much given how close to capacity a lot of hospitals run), the mortality rate is going to rise, potentially into double digits (i.e. literally decimate).
    Thats why so many deaths started rolling from Italy. The hospitals couldn't properly handle all the infected people once it went over a certain number.
    If you could have an infinite number of hospital beds with an infinite number of assisted ventilation machines plus an infinite number or nurses there would hardly be any deaths but we don't live in that fantasy scenario. The more will get infected the bigger the general clusterfuck. Death rate will skyrocket just because there won't be even basic medical care available.

hmm..this the same Merkel that said Fabio was the sexiest man alive in 2019?:P
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

The Swedish state just removed the... not sure how to really translate it into English, but if you are sick you won't get paid at all for the first day (following days you get 80%, though), which, naturally, has lead to many people feeling like they can't afford to get sick.

Good move, now people may stay home instead of feeling forced in having to go to work.

This will last for 1½ month.

121 new cases for a total of 503 in the Netherlands. 5th death. Note: amount of new cases might be higher, not everyone is getting tested, mostly due to: ''already in quarantine, cba testing those'' ... How can a country fail so hard?

10+ Year Old Account
    State health officials joined Chu in asking the CDC and Food and Drug Administration to waive privacy rules and allow clinical tests in a research lab, citing the threat of significant loss of life. The CDC and FDA said no. "We felt like we were sitting, waiting for the pandemic to emerge," Chu told the Times. "We could help. We couldn't do anything."

They held off for a couple of weeks, but on Feb. 25, Chu and her colleagues "began performing coronavirus tests, without government approval," the Times reports. They found a positive case pretty quickly, and after discussing the ethics, they told state health officials, who confirmed the next day that a teenager who hadn't traveled abroad had COVID-19 — and the virus had likely been spreading undetected throughout the Seattle area for weeks. Later that day, the CDC and FDA told Chu and her colleagues to stop testing, then partially relented, and the lab found several more cases. On Monday night, they were ordered to stop testing again.
    Source: https://news.yahoo.com/seattle-lab-u...053628224.html

Bureaucracy, China doesn't have a monopoly on it. :P
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    121 new cases for a total of 503 in the Netherlands. 5th death. Note: amount of new cases might be higher, not everyone is getting tested, mostly due to: ''already in quarantine, cba testing those'' ... How can a country fail so hard?
    Yet it handling way better than the US or Italy, but hey, how else are you gonna be hyperbolic?
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-03-11 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    2-4% deathrate, mostly being the elderly isn't civilization ending, wtf are you on.
    Civilization-ending, not extinction level event. After this is over and 4% of the world's population has died, say goodbye to globalism, international travel and trade, "work yourself to death even if you're sick" culture and all the rest of human retardation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Civilization-ending, not extinction level event. After this is over and 4% of the world's population has died, say goodbye to globalism, international travel and trade, "work yourself to death even if you're sick" culture and all the rest of human retardation.
    Where do you even get these ridiculous idea?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Oh. I know not to believe the media when they say things are getting better.
    What media, aside from maybe fox. Is saying it's getting better?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Lol bullshit, if I am ever proven wrong I admit being wrong because unlike a lot of people here I man up to my mistakes.
    Bull fucking shit. liar.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Again. Below 60, 99% will he fine. Remember that in Italy they aren't even testing people that aren't severe so the statistics re extremely biased. South Korea for example has extremely low death rate of 0.6%. Children barely show any symptoms. Healthy adults will feel like it's just a flu. The quarantine itself and the danger to older people is what's important. Civilization will do fine.
    That is factually wrong. People who are obese are higher risk along those who smoke. I learned more watching this video than I have the last few weeks from the media.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    4-5k dead so far world wide is still a very low number when you realise how many people there are, some 400 infected here but no deaths so far just a matter of time though. Also mostly elderly and weak that dies.

Wonder how the planet would handle a new black death scenario if it's that hard to stop this one.

Would probably be good for the planet but humanity would be fucked seeing how many people we are compared to back then.
    Sigh. It isn't a matter of 4.4k people dead...it's that 4.4k people died out of 122k infections.

The reason this is being treated so seriously is that this is about 2.5 times more infectious than the flu and more than 10 times deadlier.

So, in the US, we typically see 10 million to 40 million people infected with the flu, and usually see 15k to 60k people die and 250k to 1m people hospitalized. If COVID-19 reaches that many people, we'll see 350k to 1.4m people dead and 1.5m to 6m people hospitalized...and the US doesn't even have 1m hospital beds.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Sigh. It isn't a matter of 4.4k people dead...it's that 4.4k people died out of 122k infections.

The reason this is being treated so seriously is that this is about 2.5 times more infectious than the flu and more than 10 times deadlier.

So, in the US, we typically see 10 million to 40 million people infected with the flu, and usually see 15k to 60k people die and 250k to 1m people hospitalized. If COVID-19 reaches that many people, we'll see 350k to 1.4m people dead and 1.5m to 6m people hospitalized...and the US doesn't even have 1m hospital beds.
    Can't say I know anyone worrying about this to much and life goes on as usual. Guess old people should be more worried and stay away from people to be more safe.

Only thing that sucks is that there is a chance they cancel hockey events here and perhaps even VM.

But sure it's pretty bad in some places.
    Do you hear the voices too?