1. #18821
    So now there are people talking about possibly being fined or jailed, if states so choose, for refusing a covid vaccine. Honestly though, I wonder how much ground they have to try to impose an untested and untried vaccine on the masses. I am seeing this pop up more and more all over. Though I don't believe a viable vaccine will come for years.

    This pandemic is bringing out all kinds of legal things no one knew existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  2. #18822
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    We (new zealand) are sadly going back into lock down after 2 months of relative normality

    Pretty much from people not doing quarantine properly and skipping it completely when flying into the country.
    Saw that. Go over 100 days with no cases and then suddenly it reappears. Shows how nasty this thing really is.

    As for the Russian vaccine, yeah, count me as dubious. After all they were just busted trying to hack the work others were doing on vaccines, which is not the actions of those who believe they have a viable vaccine almost ready to go. Not unless they are just habitual hackers.

    Rushing a vaccine is the last thing we need to do. If there are side effects then it is just going to play into the hands of the rabid anti-vaxxers, who are really amping up with this whole covid thing. Seems they prefer hundreds of thousands of people dying a year than a cure. But then again a working vaccine that eliminates this thing is an existential threat to their belief system. Very few people are alive who have seen first hand just how effective vaccines are in eliminating threats, like small pox. Having one actually play out before people's eyes will hopefully be enough to stamp out this nonsense.

    But then again, the hardcore anti-vaxxers have drunk so much cool-aid that there isn't much that will get through to them anymore.

  3. #18823
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Saw that. Go over 100 days with no cases and then suddenly it reappears. Shows how nasty this thing really is.

    As for the Russian vaccine, yeah, count me as dubious. After all they were just busted trying to hack the work others were doing on vaccines, which is not the actions of those who believe they have a viable vaccine almost ready to go. Not unless they are just habitual hackers.

    Rushing a vaccine is the last thing we need to do. If there are side effects then it is just going to play into the hands of the rabid anti-vaxxers, who are really amping up with this whole covid thing. Seems they prefer hundreds of thousands of people dying a year than a cure. But then again a working vaccine that eliminates this thing is an existential threat to their belief system. Very few people are alive who have seen first hand just how effective vaccines are in eliminating threats, like small pox. Having one actually play out before people's eyes will hopefully be enough to stamp out this nonsense.

    But then again, the hardcore anti-vaxxers have drunk so much cool-aid that there isn't much that will get through to them anymore.
    Yeah im certainly not going to rush in for the first vaccine.

    I'm in support of drugs taking a long time to make. Only time can reveal some side effects.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

  4. #18824
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    29,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Why no way, there is certainly a "way", they have the capabilities for it - there are many brilliant scientists and researchers and they do have the equipment and $$ for this one.

    I am pretty certain that it's at least half-true. For one you can be sure they made a considerable effort at it, as every nation with any sort of decent research capability and it's quite probable they at least were on to something.

    The problem, most likely, is in testing, reliability and maybe safety. Even besides that, it could work, but require multiple applications to take effect or simply not always produce the desired effect.

    I mean there is a chance there is no problem at all too, let's not all be hasty there - that's why the thing will need to be scrutinized before you can just wave it off as another doze of Russian bullshit.
    The problem is that Russia is completely run by a competent and intelligent version of Trump, which means that the lies and maristroika are actually good/great. Russia has been pushing out lies regarding their technological progress for decades, with little to no actual results or proof. Given that track record, their claim to having a viable vaccine, ahead of every other developed nation, shouldn't even be taken with a grain of salt. It's borderline ridiculous.

    While your point about there being "a chance there is no problem" is scientifically valid, there is the same percentage of chance that I'll win the lottery tonight.

  5. #18825
    So Russia is "hacking" for a vaccine they worked for years to develop...hacking others that have been at it a month or two? Lol?

    And you think they'll randomly combine shit like mad scientist because that fits ur unscientific shitty tabloidesque current media?

    You are all free to skip vaccine n enjoy the virus due to ur phobias.

  6. #18826
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Putin announced his daughter has taken the vaccine.

    That's more significant then some might realize. In Eastern Europe, especially for families like Putin's, to put your children on health on the line is fairly extraordinary.

    Wait and see is my point of view.
    Imagine falling for this kind of crap. It's like Trump bragging about prophylactic hydroxychloroquine.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I can't believe you idiots banned my main forum account because I was only showing you proof of your trolling. I will keep posting here and I will not stop this war. Just stop disrupting roleplay. You have done enough damage already.

  7. #18827

  8. #18828
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    , because you've been fighting tooth and nail to resist that fact.
    Which fact? That no country except one outlier could reach 3% cases? You were wrong BTW when you were talking about passage of time a few posts back; it's testing coverage that matters, not time itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Your apparent lack of being able to comprehend the difference between "figurative" vs. "literal" aside, I don't need to do a thing to prove that the obviously false hypothesis is obviously false.
    So you can't. Which means my 3% conjecture remains correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    There are almost certainly far more than 10 million people who have already been infected in the US.
    Infected and sick are different things. INB4 you tell me that word "asymptomatic" figuratively means "sick"

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Dictionaries aren't in the habit of giving figurative meanings, only literal ones. I'm not sure why you think they would, but then again, you don't seem to understand the difference between the two. FYI, both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries have entries for "figuratively" that you might want to read.
    CAN ANY ENGLISH SPEAKER READING THIS WEIGH IN PLEASE?

    Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?

    I think PhaelixWW is wrong about what the English word "peak" means. Confirm/deny?



    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I'm not particularly keen on other people lying about what is "truth" and "fact", either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

  9. #18829
    With data going thru HHS (conveniently the number of new cases in the US went down or stable on the very day they too over), not CDC. Nothing strange at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I can't believe you idiots banned my main forum account because I was only showing you proof of your trolling. I will keep posting here and I will not stop this war. Just stop disrupting roleplay. You have done enough damage already.

  10. #18830
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    With data going thru HHS (conveniently the number of new cases in the US went down or stable on the very day they too over), not CDC. Nothing strange at all.
    Key indicators, such as estimates of the portion of inpatient beds occupied by Covid-19 patients, are lagging by a week or more, making it harder for citizens and local officials to get a handle on how the pandemic is progressing and for agencies to allocate supplies of antiviral drugs and personal protective equipment, public-health experts say.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...rt-11597178974

  11. #18831
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So Russia is "hacking" for a vaccine they worked for years to develop...hacking others that have been at it a month or two? Lol?

    And you think they'll randomly combine shit like mad scientist because that fits ur unscientific shitty tabloidesque current media?

    You are all free to skip vaccine n enjoy the virus due to ur phobias.
    they worked for years to develop huh? rofl

  12. #18832
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    With data going thru HHS (conveniently the number of new cases in the US went down or stable on the very day they too over), not CDC. Nothing strange at all.
    It is about to get ugly. Schools in some states are reopening. Both TX and FL have positivity rate of well above 10%, and they are still going to reopen schools. The biggest problem is the Covid-19 tests. The instant cheap tests ($5 or lower) is still under review because of their high error rate at the initial and end stages of Covid-19 when the virus counts are at their lowest. The only tests currently available cost around $100 a pop including analysis. It costs a lot of money for schools to make sure that their employees and students are not spreading the disease. On top of that, labs nationwide are overwhelmed. Test turnaround ranges between 3 - 7 days right now.

  13. #18833
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    19,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    CAN ANY ENGLISH SPEAKER READING THIS WEIGH IN PLEASE?

    Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?
    I wonder whether infection rate has peaked or whether we're at capacity in regards to testing like we were in April.

  14. #18834
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I wonder whether infection rate has peaked or whether we're at capacity in regards to testing like we were in April.
    Here is the number of Covid-19 tests given in the US on a daily basis. The test numbers are trending down. We are doing less tests.

    https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily

  15. #18835
    Brewmaster Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Nearly a week ago I made a post saying "It seems the world as a whole has peaked" (see picture below, peak highlighted). PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over" and that dictionaries are not to be trusted. Does this look like it's over to you? How can a pandemic at its peak be over?

    I think PhaelixWW is wrong about what the English word "peak" means. Confirm/deny?

    last time the world has "Peaked" somewhere around here



    What makes you think the current peak is the final one?
    Lives matter

  16. #18836
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Which fact? That no country except one outlier could reach 3% cases?
    No, the fact that even though no country except one outlier have reached 3%, it's not because of any kind of "soft cap".


    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    You were wrong BTW when you were talking about passage of time a few posts back; it's testing coverage that matters, not time itself.
    You don't think time matters in an infection timeline? Wow, that's... special. I mean, testing coverage matters, too, but trying to pretend that time doesn't matter is absolutely ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    So you can't. Which means my 3% conjecture remains correct.
    Your "3% conjecture" was never correct to being with, so it certainly can't "remain" so. And "I don't need to" isn't the same as "I can't." On the contrary, I've already, at length, explained the evidence that points out the obvious flaws in your theory.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    PhaelixWW here keeps repeating, day after day, that "has peaked" figuratively means "it's over"...
    Good lord, you can't even get your errors correct. I used "is over" figuratively to mean "has peaked", not the other way around, in relation to your position. And the context was immediately, and clearly, described in the follow-up sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And you're wrong, because you're presupposing that this pandemic is over already. You steadfastly refuse to believe that case counts can and will go up again if people relax their measures... all while saying that countries should relax measures or risk being a "nation of paupers". It's such a myopic viewpoint that I'm surprised you don't walk into walls all the time.
    And again, I never mistook your position; you just failed to understand my characterization of it, which changes nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    ...and that dictionaries are not to be trusted.
    Lulz. I explain to you that dictionaries concern themselves with literal definitions, not figurative meanings, and even link for you the definition of "figuratively", and your takeaway is that I think dictionaries are "not to be trusted"?

    (There's really not an eyeroll emoji big enough t do this one justice.)


    Aaaaand so today's total is at 274k so far. We still have ~10k or so remaining to add from countries that still haven't finished reporting for the day, which means the daily count will likely end up at around 284k. That's 13k above last Wednesday's total, meaning that the new 7-day average after today is finished will be around 261200.

    So allow me to predict your next question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep
    Which is bigger, 260283 or 261200?
    (Ahem.) That would be 261200.

    I guess there's a new "peak", huh?
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  17. #18837
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It is about to get ugly. Schools in some states are reopening. Both TX and FL have positivity rate of well above 10%, and they are still going to reopen schools. The biggest problem is the Covid-19 tests. The instant cheap tests ($5 or lower) is still under review because of their high error rate at the initial and end stages of Covid-19 when the virus counts are at their lowest. The only tests currently available cost around $100 a pop including analysis. It costs a lot of money for schools to make sure that their employees and students are not spreading the disease. On top of that, labs nationwide are overwhelmed. Test turnaround ranges between 3 - 7 days right now.
    In Georgia, Trump supporters are making emotional appeals about how important it is for them to go to school in person and without masks. Don't let fearful people restrict my freedom! is their rallying cry.

    At this point, they have the power. In Georgia, from schools reopening 1200 people are already under quarantine - after less than 2 weeks of opening - and as more and more places open up it will only get worse. The best everyone else can do is to stay away from these people so they don't get us infected.

    The worst is yet to come. Hunker down and take care of yourselves and the people that you care about.

  18. #18838
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post

    Aaaaand so today's total is at 274k so far. We still have ~10k or so remaining to add from countries that still haven't finished reporting for the day, which means the daily count will likely end up at around 284k. That's 13k above last Wednesday's total, meaning that the new 7-day average after today is finished will be around 261200.
    261408. Very close to your prediction.

  19. #18839
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    956
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I wonder whether infection rate has peaked or whether we're at capacity in regards to testing like we were in April.
    Good point. Could be that late July peak only appears that way because countries currently growing can't detect enough cases.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    last time the world has "Peaked" somewhere around here

    What makes you think the current peak is the final one?
    Nothing. I answered this question before:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    It could be just a local peak, hence "it seems".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Daily cases can rise again. Another peak could come in the winter if the second wave actually happens, which is quite possible. Or maybe India could keep rising and carry the world instead of USA, exceeding current peak after only 2 weeks of decline. I said explicitly that it could happen.
    I was even right in details: peak from 2 weeks ago became local and India is carrying the world now.

    And you're right too, world's rolling average also peaked in April and was flat for a while before it started to grow again. Wasn't over then, too. For many more months we won't know whether the current peak is the final one.

    Ancient Mesopotamians created the great flood myth, where whole world is covered by water except the prominent peak of mount Ararat. They didn't know that just a little bit to the north there's a whole chain taller than Ararat. And they didn't know about Himalayas either, that's why the Bible says the whole world was underwater except one rather smallish mountain: Mesopotamians didn't know all peaks back then. We still call Ararat a peak, on a planet where Himalayas exist.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I guess there's a new "peak", huh?
    See above. No, there's no new peak yet, but last peak was exceeded, and I predicted in details how it happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    No, the fact that even though no country except one outlier have reached 3%, it's not because of any kind of "soft cap".

    You don't think time matters in an infection timeline? Wow, that's... special. I mean, testing coverage matters, too, but trying to pretend that time doesn't matter is absolutely ridiculous.

    Your "3% conjecture" was never correct to being with, so it certainly can't "remain" so. And "I don't need to" isn't the same as "I can't." On the contrary, I've already, at length, explained the evidence that points out the obvious flaws in your theory.
    Facts disagree with your emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    you're presupposing that this pandemic is over already. You steadfastly refuse to believe that case counts can and will go up again
    At no point did I say that the pandemic is over, or even will be over within a year. And I literally said that case counts can go up again. In other words, you're a liar, and your lies are documented. Calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

  20. #18840
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...l-coronavirus/

    Jesus christ Georgia is a fucking mess.
    Worse, Georgia just had two days in a row with > 100 deaths. These are the highest number of deaths per day in Georgia in the whole of the pandemic, and we've had a steady ~70-90 per day since July 20.

    Meanwhile, Kemp is giving victory speeches, implying the worst is behind us even if we're "not out of the woods yet."

    In case you guys didn't know, Brian Kemp is a murderous fuckbag.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •