Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Wow. Talk about unhinged.
    Yes, some people are unhinged.

The logic of blaming China for not containing something that most other countries have, after more warning, failed to contain doesn't really make sense.

However, it's always easier to blame someone else for the problem, and in general we see a distrust of science - in several different ways.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-09-30 at 06:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    oh look it's back again....

- - - Updated - - -

do you have anything to back that up other than your feels?

- - - Updated - - -

on another note: imo he should have gotten 5 years prison time.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...f-covid-order/
    I live in Sweden.
    What is your proof?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I live in Sweden.
    What is your proof?
    ancedotal stories are not proof. furthermore the onus is on YOU to provide proof not me. i asked you to provide proof. you didn't even provide that. hell you didn't even provide a story. you just typed a sentence.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another reminder that recovery doesn't necessarily mean recovery when it comes to this virus.

Nine in ten recovered COVID-19 patients experience side-effects - study

SEOUL (Reuters) - Nine in ten coronavirus patients reported experiencing side-effects such as fatigue, psychological after-effects and loss of smell and taste after they recovered from the disease, according to a preliminary study by South Korea.

The research comes as the global death toll from COVID-19 passed 1 million on Tuesday, a grim milestone in a pandemic that has devastated the global economy, overloaded health systems and changed the way people live.

In an online survey of 965 recovered COVID-19 patients, 879 people or 91.1% responded they were suffering at least one side-effect from the disease, the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) official Kwon Jun-wook told a briefing.

Fatigue was the most common side-effect with 26.2% reading, followed by difficulty in concentration which had 24.6%, Kwon said.

Other after-effects included psychological or mental side-effects and loss of taste or smell.

Kim Shin-woo, professor of internal medicine at Kyungpook National University School of Medicine in Daegu, sought comments from 5,762 recovered patients in South Korea and 16.7% of them participated in the survey, said Kwon.

While the research was done online for now, lead researcher Kim will soon publish the study with detailed analysis, he said.

South Korea is also conducting a separate study with some 16 medical organisations on potential complications of the disease through a detailed analysis involving CT scans on recovered patients next year, Kwon told the briefing.

The country reported 38 new infections by midnight on Monday, for a fifth day of double-digit increases, taking the national tally to 23,699 cases, with 407 deaths.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Yes, some people are unhinged.

The logic of blaming China for not containing something that most other countries have, after more warning, failed to contain doesn't really make sense.

However, it's always easier to blame someone else for the problem, and in general we see a distrust of science - in several different ways.
    I'm sorry, but no.

China's communist party regime with its traditional commie ways of doing things robbed the world of precious 2 months, while they tried to hush hush and obfuscate the epidemic growing out of control. You know what this means? It means all the vaccine efforts were delayed, initial preparation time was cut down and hundreds of thousands dead just because of that time waste.

Nobody expects miracles from China, virus is a virus and they can't magically fix it there, but at the very least they could have let the world know instead of trying to hush it up and coercing WHO to ignore warnings or spread disinformation at the very beginning, like that no human transmission and Taiwan incident at the very beginning.

They burned too much time with their bullshit and a lot of people died as a result worldwide.

Heck, if they would just come clean just even a month earlier, then maybe disasters in Spain, Italy and NY could have been prevented or at least the body count slashed by a good measure - those places literally needed to put measures in place just about 3 weeks earlier for massive benefit already. If flights and lockdowns were in place just a month earlier, you'd see tens of thousands of people who died - alive.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-09-30 at 10:18 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    ancedotal stories are not proof. furthermore the onus is on YOU to provide proof not me. i asked you to provide proof. you didn't even provide that. hell you didn't even provide a story. you just typed a sentence.
    No, I don't need to prove anything to you. Good day.

Which means, if you can't back up anything, you lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Heck, if they would just come clean just even a month earlier
    In theory: yes. Absolutely.

In practice. Do you honestly believe that our governments would have believed them?
    Especially the Trump administration in the U.S., considering the whole "trade bickering" that has been going on for quite some time?

I doubt it.

I'm sorry, but no.

China's communist party regime with its traditional commie ways of doing things robbed the world of precious 2 months, while they tried to hush hush and obfuscate the epidemic growing out of control. You know what this means? It means all the vaccine efforts were delayed, initial preparation time was cut down and hundreds of thousands dead just because of that time waste.
    I'm not saying that China (or any other country) did great; and the death of the eye-doctor is at least suspicious.

However, I have seen nothing indicating that we wasted 2 months due to China.

The first cases of a new disease in China that were identified in December; first reported onset of symptoms was December 8th.
    China reported the disease to WHO December 31st.
    The cause of the disease was identified as a virus on January 7th.
    The first death is record in China January 11th.
    The complete genome sequence was published latest January 11th/12th.
    Wuhan under quarantine January 23rd.
    WHO declares it a global public health-emergency on January 30th.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...20-3?r=US&IR=T

As soon as we knew it was deadly and we had the genetic sequence we could start developing a vaccine.

Nobody expects miracles from China, virus is a virus and they can't magically fix it there, but at the very least they could have let the world know instead of trying to hush it up and coercing WHO to ignore warnings or spread disinformation at the very beginning, like that no human transmission and Taiwan incident at the very beginning.
    Taiwan incident is just Taiwan-China trying to score political points against mainland China; and it has no real substance. If they wanted to warn the world they could have told the world, instead of sending a vague message through WHO that they knew would be lost.

The "no human transmission" part might have delayed it a few days at worst; not 2 months.

The statement was "no clear evidence of human to human transmission" on January 14th. Less than a week later WHO clearly had seen evidence (January 20th), and regardless of China both Japan and Thailand had reported import cases on January 15th.

If flights and lockdowns were in place just a month earlier, you'd see tens of thousands of people who died - alive.
    Unlikely, the virus had entered other countries before that, and the first US case was reported January 20th. And I doubt that any country would have ordered a lockdown earlier without seeing the problem.

S. Korea have managed fairly well; they have never had a full travel ban nor a complete lockdown.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe most are lost in regards to what you two are discussing, and I'm not sure you agree on that.

Is it that all who have died in covid-19 would otherwise be dead to other diseases by now?
    Obviously false.

Is it that some of the ones who are registered as having died in covid-19 in Sweden would otherwise be dead to other diseases by now, as Strawberry first wrote?
    True, and some even died of those other causes (perhaps it's in total 7% - but not more than 15% based on some study in Sweden).

Globally it varies. In some other countries it is similar, but in others it may technically be true, but misleading. When the excess deaths are 40% higher than covid-deaths (as in the US) focusing on those cases is focusing on the wrong thing; as it will not lower the total death-toll - but would merely indicate that even more covid-deaths were missed.

(A country can in some sense have both under- and over-reporting at the same time.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    It comes off as a Chuck Norris wannabe-joke; and they are not even fun with Chuck Norris.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least singapure is doing something smart:

You can get 2 free masks, but you need to use some type of ID to get them (as they are on limit per person).

10+ Year Old Account
    It comes off as a Chuck Norris wannabe-joke; and they are not even fun with Chuck Norris.
    Coronavirus wears a mask to protect itself from Chuck Norris.

sorry
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    so you have no argument then. come back when you do. "because i said so" is NOT an argument. it's what a grade school student yells at another grade school student when they get into an argument on the playground. YOU were the one making the claim so it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVE YOUR POINT.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This needs to be saved for anytime you want to be taken seriously.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...trump-n1241707

Report that the single largest source of disinformation about the virus in the US is...the President of the United States of America.

According to a new study from Cornell University, President Donald Trump is the world’s biggest spreader of coronavirus misinformation.

Nearly 38 percent of the “misinformation conversation” began with Trump doing things such as promoting unproven “miracle cures” for Covid-19 or claiming with zero evidence that the pandemic was a “Democratic Party hoax” aimed at derailing his presidency, the researchers from the Cornell Alliance for Science found.
    And more "bad" news if folks bought the lie that vaccines were on the horizon - https://apnews.com/article/election-...1bb911af33780f

The head of Pfizer, one of the drugmakers racing to develop a coronavirus vaccine, told employees he was disappointed that its work was politicized during this week’s presidential debate and tried to reassure U.S. staff that the company won’t bend to pressure to move more quickly.

Chief Executive Officer Albert Bourla told the employees Thursday that the company is “moving at the speed of science,” rather than under any political timing, according to a staff letter obtained by The Associated Press.

“The only pressure we feel — and it weighs heavy — are the billions of people, millions of businesses and hundreds of government officials that are depending on us,” Bourla wrote.
    They're not under a political timetable, but a science-based one.

10+ Year Old Account
    South park has The Pandemic Special episode

God dammit Randy.

And Trump now in quarantine
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN26N01B

A generally unreliable source reports that they are even positive for covid-19 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...92190680014849

A generally unreliable source reports that they are even positive for covid-19 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...92190680014849
    There's gotta be something poetic about three very similar leaders of nations all having very similar dismissive/bumbling responses to the virus, all getting the virus.

Yes, we are getting through this TOGETHER.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's gotta be something poetic about three very similar leaders of nations all having very similar dismissive/bumbling responses to the virus, all getting the virus.
    My guess is Webster is going to update the pictures under "Irony" real soon now.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2020-10-02 at 05:29 AM.

2020 leaked calender updates: