1. #19321
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    How about no.
    So how long is a sprint then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    And even this isn't true.
    and your source is?

  2. #19322
    Meh... talking about finland, I have been looking at the official numbers for where I live and there are about as much confirmed infections now as it was at start of may.

    I knew it was not going to be gone yet, but I wanted to believe it would come back slower.

  3. #19323
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Yea, mad shout out to Sweden, one of the least densely populated countries on earth for this :rolleyes.
    How many peopel do you think live in "Norrland" most of the population is concentrated around the coast in the South.

  4. #19324
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,999
    Croatia reported 311 new cases of infection.

  5. #19325
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    How many peopel do you think live in "Norrland" most of the population is concentrated around the coast in the South.
    Look at Finland and Norway and tell me Sweden is doing a good job.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  6. #19326
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    + Sweden was ruthlessly "honest" and counted all who did die and was infected as a "corona death" in the statistic, despite other diseases and illness.
    To verify this consider:

    https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...ross-countries

    For that time-period Sweden had 5,787 covid deaths, and 5,340 excess deaths; so more covid deaths than excess deaths.

    That could be due to decrease in other deaths (e.g., flu), random variations, or possibly even minor overcounting of covid deaths. (Hold your US-centric arguments; see https://spectator.us/percentage-covi...otland-sweden/ - but remember that it is a small non-representative study. And the over-counted ones weren't run over by a bus, but died of pre-existing severe diseases.)

    That seems a common trend in the region, Denmark had 579 covid deaths and 459 excess deaths, and Norway 228 covid deaths, and negative 198 excess deaths; and Germany shining with accuracy with 9,115 covid deaths and 9,193 excess deaths.

    For comparison Britain had 13% more excess deaths than covid deaths, Italy 25% more, US 40% more, Spain 54%, Peru 180%, Portugal 236%, and finally Jakarta 758%!

    Obviously some of that can also be random variations, or other causes, and even excess deaths might not be accurately counted yet.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-09-05 at 10:56 AM.

  7. #19327
    I'm absolutely terrified by the reopening of schools in Europe. Thankfully I don't seem to be alone in that, as I've noticed a surge in the number of people diligently wearing PPE - on the other hand politicians formed task forces to tackle the epidemic... and they don't listen to them. Some countries have such ridiculous measures it's gonna be a disaster. Take Italy for instance: social distancing will have to be enforced inside the schools but not on public transportation (which won't be able to carry everyone unless the lowered capacity measures are lifted or the infrastructure gets enhanced which won't happen). Plus, apparently masks will only be mandatory for high schoolers and up. Or those aged 11 and up (the Minister of Public Education likes to change guidelines every 48 hours at least, leaving principals and deans in utter chaos, so much so that many stated - along majors - that they'll refuse to reopen, which is a very sensible idea to me). Disregarding all the evidence against one meter being enough, and the fact that children are the most dangerous carriers because they are the most likely group to not develop any symptom but carry the same viral load that adults do.
    And of course people who don't suffer from Herod's syndrome (which is an Italian idiom to indicate a dislike towards children) perceive them as less dangerous because you know, children are generally perceived as cute and not harmful, plus they have to play, socialize and be hugged... yeah, it's gonna be a disaster.
    Thankfully I managed to instill a healthy amount of paranoia in my relatives and employees who have kids. I'll still probably flee back to my house in the middle of no where, CH. No schools nearby, and a much more competent government handling things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  8. #19328
    My recent post made me ponder a question: How bad is it in Peru?

    Peruvian excess deaths to end of July were 180% more than covid-deaths, which indicate severe under-counting and Peru is still 2nd in per capita covid-deaths after the tiny state of San Marino. Assuming the under-reporting remained (and was actually covid-deaths - it could also be a general health-system collapse) Peru has 82k deaths covid-deaths, or 0.25% of the population.

    Lockdown from March 16th, with gradual opening since June/July (followed by somewhat increasing number of cases). However, lockdown don't work well if you have neither refrigerators nor Uber Eats (or similar).

    Masks mandatory since March 17th; but likely many masks are non-reusable masks being reused.

    Anyone know more?

  9. #19329
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    My recent post made me ponder a question: How bad is it in Peru?
    It might be a problem with elevation. Peru has a large amount of people living at high elevations which can't be good with a respiratory disease. That could be a factor in several of the South American countries having issues. Bolivia and Colombia also have a lot of people living high up. Peru and Bolivia have 9 of the the 11 highest cities (over 10,000 feet elevation) with over 100k population.

  10. #19330
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    It might be a problem with elevation. Peru has a large amount of people living at high elevations which can't be good with a respiratory disease. That could be a factor in several of the South American countries having issues. Bolivia and Colombia also have a lot of people living high up.
    But reports claim lower rates of infection at high altitudes in Peru; and Bolivia and Colombia report less than half the number of cases per capita compared to Peru (don't know about excess deaths).

  11. #19331
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Posts
    959
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common? Argentina doesn't really have cities at high elevation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

  12. #19332
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common?
    The most obvious explanation would be susceptible population (i.e., people not yet infected), cities, and that they actually test.

    The reason we see it now and not earlier is likely that there was less travel from China to Latin America early on, and many of them had early lockdowns that slowed down the spread.

    I would say that the part of the world that is difficult to explain is actually Africa (although a young population helps). Clearly the cases are under-reported (a lot), but the numbers are going down and there hasn't been that much talk about overcrowded morgues and hospitals.

  13. #19333
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Yeah. I can explain the European spike, they were all caught with their pants down when it started. I can explain Persian Gulf spike, they all have tons of foreign workers living in subpar conditions. But why does entire Latin America have high numbers now, what do they all have in common? Argentina doesn't really have cities at high elevation.
    less wealthy countries with less social security nets and less resources to implement measures.

    Lots of Manual labour who can't work from home or can't afford to not go to work.

    I don't think Latin America having high numbers is shocking, them not having high numbers would be much more shocking.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  14. #19334
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    US did pass Sweden in Deaths/1m pop, and Sweden have a very low number of deaths now (looking at the trend, not individual days) Time to give Sweden some recognition of there course of action. It was always a marathon and not a sprint.
    Using the US response to the coronavirus as a measuring stick of success is not the "recognition" you want...
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  15. #19335
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Studies are contradictory. Some show promise, some don't. And it's probably worth noting that given the time table we're operating on, no drug will have the time to go through the proper tests, vaccines included. Steps had to be taken at a legislatory level in order to make sure that they wouldn't have to go through the "proper tests". If we were to stick to the non-emergency timetables, we'd have to wait three or four times more for the vaccines. Evidently we can't wait that much.
    Again though, the problem comes back full swing like in my first reply to you. If we rush,w e risk causing far more deaths or problems. I get people want this fast, but we can't do fast unless they recognize that it will be untested, unproven and unverified for any level of safety. Then the governments would need to accept the fact that people aren't going to take an untested, new and essentially experimental drug with the alternative is something they may not catch and have a very high rate of surviving.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  16. #19336
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Again though, the problem comes back full swing like in my first reply to you. If we rush,w e risk causing far more deaths or problems. I get people want this fast, but we can't do fast unless they recognize that it will be untested, unproven and unverified for any level of safety. Then the governments would need to accept the fact that people aren't going to take an untested, new and essentially experimental drug with the alternative is something they may not catch and have a very high rate of surviving.
    It's not being used as a blanked treatment here, but it's been instrumental in getting a lot of people out of the ICU. Further testing is needed, obviously, that much is not being questioned. And when someone's literally dying to an interstitial pneumonia, you do throw everything you have at it. It's called expanded access or compassionate use depending on which side of the Atlantic you're from and it's been widespread during the pandemic worldwide - and instrumental in making progress.
    Nobody is suggesting to skip the unskippable aside from politicians and people who understand nothing of the matter, which is why I've always been extremely skeptical of announced vaccine availability predictions - and thus far I've never been wrong, as the dates get inevitably pushed forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

  17. #19337
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    22,145
    I thought people had learned to live with this virus in the wild. At least that it would plateau and we would not have to worry about spikes. People need to relax.

    Wear your masks, distance, don't linger, and we can live at a 70% pre-Covid normal. You can do more if you have a circle of friends with integrity that get tested and stay safe while apart. That way yall can be even more social without masks. The getting tested and always being safe outside of your circle is the key part that people don't follow and lie about.

    If my anxious ass can cope I know other people can.

    Side note. A lot of medical treatments fail not because the treatment does not work, it's because people stop treatment the moment they feel better thus regressing. That's what's happening in the world.

  18. #19338
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    987
    I notice absolutely nothing about this dumb virus here, everything is back to normal. Only sign is the actual signs that says ''keep your distance'', because mandatory masks in busy streets failed so they gave up.

    I've been back in the gym and everything, full contact boxing sparring since July 1st.

  19. #19339
    Scarab Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    4,430
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Side note. A lot of medical treatments fail not because the treatment does not work, it's because people stop treatment the moment they feel better thus regressing. That's what's happening in the world.
    Case in point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    I notice absolutely nothing about this dumb virus here, everything is back to normal. Only sign is the actual signs that says ''keep your distance'', because mandatory masks in busy streets failed so they gave up.

    I've been back in the gym and everything, full contact boxing sparring since July 1st.
    They think "everything is back to normal", but in reality they went from averaging ~50 new cases a day at the beginning of July to 500+ a day a month later, and for the month since.

    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  20. #19340
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I thought people had learned to live with this virus in the wild. At least that it would plateau and we would not have to worry about spikes. People need to relax.
    Well clearly you thought wrong, seeing as how people learned nothing at all, keep disregarding social distancing because partying is more important than breathing apparently, and even most of those who are less imbecilic still haven’t learned how to properly use PPE over several months - hell, the situation even worsened, at least when the whole thing was scary they weren’t properly fitted but they at least kept the nose covered, whereas now seeing people covering just their mouth (or using masks as if they were arm bands) is commonplace. Worse yet, we now face throngs of negationists because they “can’t see the virus” (sic) or anyhow believe it’s not a thing for one inane reason or another. There’s very little cause to relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •