Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    All the "progress" that's been made since 1945 turned out to be complete and utter drivel. None of the major countries or their leaders ever believed in the equality of races. A biological weapon that's fatal for one ethnicity in particular is magnitudes worse than any act of racism perpetrated during WW2. Racism is alive and well.
    countries are ignorant. this is nothing new. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Hey, what about the business?
    Will companies and factories open in any date soon? I saw many will be close till 1 march, is it true?

I can't imagine its effect on world economy. Everyone says it will be bad for China but i think it will create inflation all over the world.
    Read stuff that many product orders will be cancelled and passed to other countries but noone says if those countries are ready for it? Raw material is mainly from China and I don't think anyone has enough stock and able to offer production for same price.

Just found this article, if these large companies don't have anything to sell, they will have to fire some employees and close some shops all over the world.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/7/21...n-delay-impact
    Last edited by sabe; 2020-02-10 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Not all who die are weak. Did the doc who tried to warn everyone have any immunity weaknesses or was old?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Honestly, though, that’s still a low number compared to those infected. And iirc, those dying are older and/or have weakened immune systems.
    Going by this https://focustaiwan.tw/sci-tech/202002090008
    It's what is called a Cykotine storm or a "storm of inflammation". If that sounds familiar, it's cause that was exactly what the 1918 Spanish Influenza did to kill many young healthy people. It effectively overdrived the person's immune system into destroying itself so having a good immune system in this case is detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Will companies and factories open in any date soon? I saw many will be close till 1 march, is it true?
    It was supposed to open TODAY, instead the government locked down Beijing and Shanghai.
    The workers couldn't get into the city.

The central government and poor people want to go back to work.
    The local government doesn't want to become another WuHan.
    To open, you must get approved by the local government.
    Unless you bribe, many small business will go bankrupt.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-02-10 at 11:41 PM.

This "pandemic" is pretty irrelevant outside of Wuhan.

News sites just need something to sell.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by Poe View Post

Are you saying that the virus is contained outside of Wuhan?
    Only time will tell.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2020-02-11 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post

I can't imagine its effect on world economy. Everyone says it will be bad for China but i think it will create inflation all over the world.
    Read stuff that many product orders will be cancelled and passed to other countries but noone says if those countries are ready for it? Raw material is mainly from China and I don't think anyone has enough stock and able to offer production for same price.

Just found this article, if these large companies don't have anything to sell, they will have to fire some employees and close some shops all over the world.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/7/21...n-delay-impact
    People should have started to go back to work this week in Beijing. *don't know about the rest of China* Schools are getting pushed back. I placed a taobao coffee order 2 weeks ago, still hasnt shipped. *even with the shipment by 10th date* ordered 2 more this morning and should be shipped on time. I drink a lot of coffee lol

- - - Updated - - -

Let's see..a virus that has infected and killed more people than SARS is considered irrelevant? I'm sure if someone you know or live with gets the virus, it will become relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Muajin76 Have your gf check JD.com for you. Taobao was not delivering because of Spring Festival from somewhere around mid January, so youngest gan nv'er stocked me up on instant mashed potatoes, butter, and (instant) coffee from JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76
    Let's see..a virus that has infected and killed more people than SARS is considered irrelevant?
    Honestly, yes.

Unless a particularly virulent strain of influenza is making the rounds on a slow news day, it gets counted as business as usual. But by the end of any given round of seasonal flu the death count will be hundreds of thousands worldwide. Given the way the US handles sick days, how often do you see us even tell people to stay home if it looks like they have the flu?

It sucks that people are losing family members to yet one more thing this year, but I don't think anyone is going to say "thank the gods, Auntie was run over by a truck and didn't get the Wuhan virus!"

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3
    It was supposed to open TODAY
    So ... what's your point? You never cite any sources and you're all over the place on your panic. Your only constant theme seems to be you want to bitch about China. A few days ago, you were on about how the central government wanted people back to the salt mines to bring in dollars, then it was ZOMG people are going to be going back to work with the implication infections would explode, now it is ZOMG1!1! poor people want to go back to work and the evil government system won't let them earn money. Do you just pull random things off of Reddit for attention?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Let's see..a virus that has infected and killed more people than SARS is considered irrelevant? I'm sure if someone you know or live with gets the virus, it will become relevant.
    Everyone I know has a higher chance to get harmed by gun violence, car crash, HIV/AIDS, targeted by a serial killer or literally anything else. This virus should be the least of everyone's concerns unless of course, you live in Wuhan.

Or unless you know people who live in Wuhan, the chances of you knowing someone who will catch Wuhan coronavirus is so abysmal that it's irrelevant to even worry about. News organizations are blowing this story up because it sells.
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-02-11 at 08:19 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone I know has a higher chance to get harmed by gun violence, car crash, HIV/AIDS, targeted by a serial killer or literally anything else. This virus should be the least of everyone's concerns unless of course, you live in Wuhan.

Or unless you know people who live in Wuhan, the chances of you knowing someone who will catch Wuhan coronavirus is so abysmal that it's irrelevant to even worry about. News organizations are blowing this story up because it sells.
    It amazes me the freak out I've been seeing in the West over this. There's been a couple dozen confirmed cases within 30 minutes drive of where I am, and no one around me is overly concerned unless they have small children (which makes perfect sense). You can only do so much before it starts taking a much heavier mental toll on yourself than the physical damage of getting the virus could ever do.

gun violence, car crash, HIV/AIDS, none of them causes 61 countries stop Chinese to enter their countries.
    Many students cannot go back to school, because the evil foreign countries don't let them in.

The school offered them to take online classes.
    They couldn't, because of Great Firewall of China.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    gun violence, car crash, HIV/AIDS, none of them causes 61 countries stop Chinese to enter their countries.
    Maybe because violence, car crashes and HIV is already happening in those 61 countries.

I don't know anyone, i'm hoping nobody I know or close to gets it. The recovery rate is very low. Yes, it's one of the current trending news, now that Kobe and Impeachment stuff has blown over. Nobody in my family are remotely close to any area that will put them in a chance to get CV. Wisconsin has ONE but the county is a few away from where my dad/relatives live.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    It amazes me the freak out I've been seeing in the West over this. There's been a couple dozen confirmed cases within 30 minutes drive of where I am, and no one around me is overly concerned unless they have small children (which makes perfect sense). You can only do so much before it starts taking a much heavier mental toll on yourself than the physical damage of getting the virus could ever do.
    Shijingshan/Beijing has 13 current cases and i worry about one of my students *elementary school* getting it. For various reasons. My district is pretty big but taking the chance of bumping into one of them 13 people is still a chance. T.T

- - - Updated - - -

So I've been enjoying watching CNN on my Pc and iphone since i got to china 2.5 years ago. It hasn't worked on my pc/phone for a few days now, not unless I use a vpn. Have any of you others living here had the same problem? Before, no vpn was needed to access CNN. Now, it seems you need a vpn to access the site. *to keep up with current cv news outside of china*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Shijingshan/Beijing has 13 current cases and i worry about one of my students *elementary school* getting it. For various reasons. My district is pretty big but taking the chance of bumping into one of them 13 people is still a chance. T.T
    Yeah I work with younger kids and I'm worried for them, but it seems the virus generally hurts the elderly more than younger ones. That could be because the younger ones get the bulk of the medical treatment though. There have been no confirmed cases in any of the villages I'm near, and I haven't left them in a couple weeks, so I have little to no worry of getting it, and even if I did classes won't convene for at least another three weeks.

Instead of online classes like most schools are doing, mine is filming classes to then send to the students for them to watch. Interesting/fun way of doing things.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    All the "progress" that's been made since 1945 turned out to be complete and utter drivel. None of the major countries or their leaders ever believed in the equality of races. A biological weapon that's fatal for one ethnicity in particular is magnitudes worse than any act of racism perpetrated during WW2. Racism is alive and well.
    US bio labs surrounding Russia n China, why they put up with this shit...

The Concern for the Secretive Bio-Geopolitics.

https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...o-geopolitics/
    By Dan Steinbock | Oct 11, 2019 | Asia Pacific, News & Analysis, Politics, US

Biological warfare cannot be excluded from the a possible causes of deadly and costly epidemics.

Entomological, anti-animal and crop-based diseases typically occur for natural reasons. All three have also be aggravated by globalization and climate change. However, evidence suggests that some of these outbreaks may also involve prior deployment in “biological programs” and “research.”

Take anthrax, for instance. Despite the post-9/11 concerns, the bacteria continue to be “researched.” In May 2015, Pentagon confirmed that its lab in Utah had “inadvertently” sent live anthrax samples to one of its military bases in South Korea. Last April, civic groups and residents took to the street to protest against biological agent experiments, which the US was reportedly conducting at Busan’s Port Pier 8. Pentagon’s budget estimates suggest the project was ongoing with funds set aside for live agent tests.

These issues remain sensitive in East Asia, in light of the US biowarfare against North Koreans and Chinese in the 1950s and contemporary geopolitics. Biological agents have dual-use functions. Like new technologies, they can save but also incapacitate and destroy human lives.

Asian Swine Fever: Epidemics Vs Geopolitics
    Asian swine fever (ASF) is a hemorrhagic fever of pigs with mortality rates close to 100 percent and major economic losses. Historically, the first ASF outbreak took place in Kenya in 1907 and the first outside Africa in Portugal in 1957. That’s the official story.

In reality, by the early ‘50s, several viruses, including ASF, were available in Fort Terry, a US bio-warfare facility in Plum Island, New York. Between the 1960s and late ‘90s, Cuba accused Washington of ten biological warfare attacks following serious infectious disease outbreaks. None were proven conclusively, but several most likely occurred. In 1971, pigs in Havana hog farm were diagnosed with ASF virus, which caused half a million pigs to be slaughtered. As Cuba suffered food shortage, the UN labeled the outbreak the “most alarming event” of 1971.

The debacle remained a mystery until 1977, when Long Island Newsday reported the virus was delivered from a US army base; the site of joint Army-CIA covert operations in the Panama Canal Zone. US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) denied involvement. Yet, bio-warfare historian Norman Covert has affirmed CIA had access to the laboratories.

Following the Cold War, the ASF threat seemed to have been defused. But as a series of “color revolutions” took off in Eastern Europe – in countries targeted for NATO enlargement – the ASF in 2007 spread to Georgia in the Caucasus and thereafter widely to neighboring countries, including Armenia, Azerbaijan and several territories in Russia.

After a decade of relative quiet, the first ASF outbreak in China was reported in Shenyang in August 2018. It was thought to have come to China via Russia or Eastern Europe; that is, through the “color revolutions” countries.

The timing is intriguing. In China, the spread of ASF began with the US trade war after mid-2018. As a result, US pork sales to China were over three times pricier already last spring than a year before, despite the US retaliatory tariffs. China’s over 400 million pigs account for half of the world total. The ASF is a major threat to global food security.

Ethnic Bio-Bombs, Non-Endemic Outbreaks
    After the Cold War, the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction Program (CTRP) was created presumably to keep the former Soviet Union’s nuclear and chemical infrastructure from rogue nations and terrorists. But as Congress in 1996 began to expand the program internationally, so did efforts to capitalize on its offensive uses.

In particular, the neoconservative Project for New American Century (PNAC), the ideological force behind the subsequent Bush administration’s foreign policy, declared in its manifesto Rebuilding America’s Defenses (2000) that “advanced forms of biological warfare that can ‘target’ specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool.”
    https://archive.org/details/Rebuildi...enses/mode/2up

Previously, such efforts at biological “ethnic bombs” had occurred mainly in apartheid-era South Africa and Rhodesia; the PNAC builds on the Israeli “ethno-bomb” idea to target specific genetic traits among target populations.

By May 2007, Russia banned all exports of human bio samples, due to concern for “genetic bio-weapons” targeting Russian population. Reportedly, some of these institutions, including Harvard Public Health and USAID, have collected biological material in China as well. In October 2018, Russian Defense Ministry claimed the spread of viral diseases from Georgia, including African swine fever since 2007, could be connected to a US lab network in the area, where more than 70 Georgians had died in odd conditions.

The lab network, a branch of the Nunn-Lugar bio-initiative, belongs to the multimillion-dollar Cooperative Biological Engagement Program (CBEP) funded by Pentagon’s Cooperative Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA). The CBEP labs are located in 25 countries, including in Eastern Europe (e.g., Georgia and Ukraine), the Middle East, Africa and Southeast Asia. In several locations, there have been reported outbreaks of tropical diseases, which are not endemic to the area.

Despite high-level Russian calls for a “comprehensive evaluation” and “joint inspections,” pleas for multilateral cooperation have been ignored. In its 2020 multimillion-dollar budget, the DTRA characterizes the “bio-security” program in Asia as “the partner of choice in a region competing against Chinese influence.”

Pressing Need for Multipolar Cooperation
    Even the discoverer of the devastating Lyme disease Willy Burdorfer participated in US bio-warfare, according to science bestseller Bitten (2019). That has triggered New Jersey Rep. Chris Smith’s investigation into whether Pentagon has experimented with tics and other insects as biological weapons.

International concern is rising over the role of potential covert goals in viral outbreaks. By September, the Fall armyworm, a pest that can damage a wide variety of crops, had spread to 25 Chinese provinces posing a severe threat to food security. Described first in 1797, it used to be endemic only to Americas. After the Trump 2016 win, it has globalized faster than Facebook. Only crisis measures permitted China to contain the threat “for this year.”

A new Pentagon program called “Insect Allies” funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) relies on gene editing and hopes to infect insects with modified viruses, presumably to make US crops more resilient. In contrast, international scientists suggest such programs do not represent agricultural research but new bio-weapon programs, which violate the Biological Weapons Convention.

During the Cold War, the threat of the mutually assured destruction constrained nuclear and bio-warfare risks, however. The contemporary era is devoid of such constraints and thus far more dangerous. The most effective way to resolve the contested bio-warfare challenges would be to build on international multilateral biological arms control, particularly the 1925 Geneva Protocol, the 1972 Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC) and the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC).

With rising climate risks and geopolitical tensions, no single country should have monopoly over biological agents in the 21st century. What’s desperately needed is multipolar cooperation among the major advanced economies and large emerging powers.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-02-11 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    US bio labs surrounding Russia n China, why they put up with this shit...

Ok now I'm ready to continue with this thread. Between this and the mythical "bio weapon that targets and ethnicity" I think the thread is full on crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Muajin76 I can get CNN about 4 times a day if I spam it. It started not loading for me sometime around the 8th, when they were pushing things like the Where is Xi story. Yahoo is still loading reliably and that's about it.

Be prudent, but Cupcake hasn't given me any warnings and I know she would if things were dangerous.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    Ok now I'm ready to continue with this thread. Between this and the mythical "bio weapon that targets and ethnicity" I think the thread is full on crazy.
    Maybe u should read the article?

Also, fyi I never made a claim what's what to this corona situation, just as likely, well more likely chinese treatment of food is culprit.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-02-11 at 02:45 PM.

Comments like this honestly are really odd. Like if the same thing happens but the city on lock down was New york or Paris then it'd be completely normal that it'd be all over the world news, even if there were 0 cases outside that city. But just because its a city in China (with 11 million people living in it) its "irrelevant" else where. A massive city on total lock down due to a virus is honestly pretty relevant to world news

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Comments like this honestly are really odd. Like if the same thing happens but the city on lock down was New york or Paris then it'd be completely normal that it'd be all over the world news, even if there were 0 cases outside that city. But just because its a city in China (with 11 million people living in it) its "irrelevant" else where. A massive city on total lock down due to a virus is honestly pretty relevant to world news
    If anything, China showing that they can lockdown 68 million people without batting an eye is far more of a news story than some 1,000 people dying of pneumonia.