10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It's just the WHO that's a bit slow on actually calling it that.
    WHO won't call it. They scrubbed that from their dictionary after all.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...till-emergency

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    For whatever reason young children have extremely low susceptibility to the disease. The number of 0-9 year olds who have died due to this is practically non-existent.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...-safe/12013842
    How does it kill the corona virus? by a citokyne storm? or by another means?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona
    How does it kill the corona virus?
    A general article, not up to the moment but probably a decent enough overview.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...s-to-the-body/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Apparently Florida has two cases now. That article doesn’t mention how they were infected, possibly waiting until it is confirmed by cdc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-upd...es-2020-03-01/

Here is a better article.

https://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...c-02857cea4a83

The Florida Department of Health said the patient from Manatee County hasn't traveled to countries identified for restricted travel by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That person, described only as an adult, went and got medical care and is now isolated until public health officials give the all-clear. Medical professionals are working closely to monitor anyone who may have come into contact with the person.

The second person -- also an adult -- is from Hillsborough County and had traveled to Italy, according to the Florida Department of Health. That person is isolated and will continue to remain isolated until cleared by health experts.
    So looks like the first case is already a community transmission, so I guess Florida is already f’d and has the virus spreading.
    Last edited by swiftowner; 2020-03-02 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Apparently Florida has two cases now. That article doesn’t mention how they were infected, possibly waiting until it is confirmed by cdc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-upd...es-2020-03-01/

Here is a better article.

https://www.wtsp.com/mobile/article/...c-02857cea4a83

So looks like the first case is already a community transmission, so I guess Florida is already f’d and has the virus spreading.

welp we got the east and west cost now officially covered.

transmission through chicago pretty much means its gone throughout the country and we can expect midwest and southern cases to pop up by weeks end.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Ugh, I should probably stop with the anti-social postings. I've undergone some major changes in the way I view and want to interact with the World over the past few weeks. (It's a long story that began 13 years ago.) Over two weeks later, my apologies for the delay in replying, but I am an asshole.

When I find something that intrigues me, I study it intensely and ignore almost everything else, it's just the way my brain works. I've been off trying to find as much information about this virus as I can as well as thinking about how this will effect me and my family, how everything will probably play out and what I need to do to prepare for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    How close are you to confirmed cases? Seems way overkill unless you're living in a village that has confirmed cases.
    At the time, I remember that we just had those dozen or so that were in quarantine from China. I didn't really view it as overkill from what I envisioned that would be coming in the weeks, months and years ahead. Sure it was a bit of a gamble, but I wasn't one of the panic-stricken hordes of people that raided Costco and Sam's yesterday. I wanted to get ahead of the coming wave of people, to get my freak-out-moment behind me so I could think about this with a cooler head.

Of course, all that has changed now, with this "super-cold" causing outbreaks all around the World as well as emerging ones now in Washington, California, and Rhode Island, I am pretty sure that it is already spreading here in Texas. We should start seeing our first confirmed cases in about a week, perhaps less if that one at Rice University proves positive.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Just out of curiosity, in which Chinese city do you live that you need to make such preparations?
    In a suburb of Houston, TX. We live in Hurricane country, lots of folks get prepared around here, but not this early in the season. I witnessed the panic-buying hell of gasoline on 9/11 behind a register at a Chevron Food Mart on I-40. I remember the panic and desperation that I saw in people's eyes at the time, I did not want any part of that this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    You are a parent and of course you worry about your kids. I would, however, ask that you reflect on the lessons you want to teach them. What you have described is hoarding. Instead of "screw y'all, we're going to be safe when the Zombie Apocalypse comes", think about teaching them a lesson that they are more likely to need in the future -- to care about other people. Think about donating some of that stuff to lower income people, or selling it back at cost online. They might never be exposed to the virus, but you are exposing them to negative life lessons like greed, paranoia, and "me first".

If, after reflection, you feel you really need to do this -- do it right. You've left out eye protection and surgical gloves. The advice here is to take steps to avoid contact with your eyes or nose -- don't shake hands, cough into the crook of your elbow rather than using your hand to cover your mouth, wear at least ordinary gloves when outside, and avoid unnecessarily touching common surfaces. Keep in mind that N95 masks are fatiguing to wear for an extended period; if you think they aren't your mask probably isn't properly fitted and they aren't much good if they don't fit.
    Yes, unfortunately it is hoarding, but I am also an American living in a lower to middle class neighborhood. I guarantee you that people around here will lookout for themselves first.

Not far from where I live, this happened just this past year. https://www.fox26houston.com/news/2-...area-apartment

These kind of occurrences will likely become more common in my area as people begin to get desperate. This is why I have arranged to have access to something that I never wanted in my house to begin with. I am sure you are familiar with our President, this is why I have been anticipating a worst case scenario. When it gets really bad around here, we're going to be on our own.

Got the gloves, vitamins to aid the immune system and I wear glasses, but I have plenty of saran wrap that I can use to fashion a disposable airtight seal over my eyewear. Thank you, I am familiar with masks, I used to be a medic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Question for everyone posting here. Now that the US surgeon general and even S.Korea's president also told it's people to not wear masks. *probably following what US said* How many of you decided not to wear masks? I dunno bout you guys but i feel much safer wearing mine. I mean..you go into a crowd of people in a store or at the bus/train station and people are coughing, do you honestly feel safe NOT wearing a mask cause both the president and surgeon general said don't?
    It's a tough one. In China everyone is already fully used to wearing masks, and has a supply of them. They know proper mask etiquette generally better than any other country just from constant use. That doesn't mean everyone is using them correctly even in China, most aren't, but I do think it does help somewhat. It seems what China was going for more was by forcing everyone to wear a mask, it would keep social distancing up everywhere, and the people who did have the virus would not spread it as easily.

The rest of the world, especially the US, doesn't have that history of wearing masks, there aren't already large supplies available, and the hoarding is affecting the medical industry from getting the supply that is available. The people who do get it will not use it properly, and unless everyone and their mother is wearing a mask, it won't stop people who unknowingly are carrying the virus from transmitting it as easily.

A couple paranoid people wearing masks won't do anything to help anyone in the US. If everyone in the country was forced to wear them going out I imagine it will help in one way or another, but it will also greatly harm the medical industries abilities to combat the virus from lack of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Ugh, I should probably stop with the anti-social postings. I've undergone some major changes in the way I view and want to interact with the World over the past few weeks. (It's a long story that began 13 years ago.) Over two weeks later, my apologies for the delay in replying, but I am an asshole.

When I find something that intrigues me, I study it intensely and ignore almost everything else, it's just the way my brain works. I've been off trying to find as much information about this virus as I can as well as thinking about how this will effect me and my family, how everything will probably play out and what I need to do to prepare for it.

At the time, I remember that we just had those dozen or so that were in quarantine from China. I didn't really view it as overkill from what I envisioned that would be coming in the weeks, months and years ahead. Sure it was a bit of a gamble, but I wasn't one of the panic-stricken hordes of people that raided Costco and Sam's yesterday. I wanted to get ahead of the coming wave of people, to get my freak-out-moment behind me so I could think about this with a cooler head.

Of course, all that has changed now, with this "super-cold" causing outbreaks all around the World as well as emerging ones now in Washington, California, and Rhode Island, I am pretty sure that it is already spreading here in Texas. We should start seeing our first confirmed cases in about a week, perhaps less if that one at Rice University proves positive.

In a suburb of Houston, TX. We live in Hurricane country, lots of folks get prepared around here, but not this early in the season. I witnessed the panic-buying hell of gasoline on 9/11 behind a register at a Chevron Food Mart on I-40. I remember the panic and desperation that I saw in people's eyes at the time, I did not want any part of that this time around.

Yes, unfortunately it is hoarding, but I am also an American living in a lower to middle class neighborhood. I guarantee you that people around here will lookout for themselves first.

Not far from where I live, this happened just this past year. https://www.fox26houston.com/news/2-...area-apartment

These kind of occurrences will likely become more common in my area as people begin to get desperate. This is why I have arranged to have access to something that I never wanted in my house to begin with. I am sure you are familiar with our President, this is why I have been anticipating a worst case scenario. When it gets really bad around here, we're going to be on our own.

Got the gloves, vitamins to aid the immune system and I wear glasses, but I have plenty of saran wrap that I can use to fashion a disposable airtight seal over my eyewear. Thank you, I am familiar with masks, I used to be a medic.
    I would recommend stocking up on some basics as well everyone seems to know of rice beans,and water but try to have some powdered milk, canned meat ( ideally fish) and dried non sweetened fruit around as well.

Even if nothing happens all these products can be consumed later and will not spoil for quite some time.

It's actually not that dangerous and a lot of infected have recovered yet

so what actually kills you with this thing? is it just the pneumonia? or is there some other symptom of it that i haven't heard of?

cause everything i've heard makes it seem like the other symptoms are like a mild flu, if that even.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    so what actually kills you with this thing? is it just the pneumonia? or is there some other symptom of it that i haven't heard of?

cause everything i've heard makes it seem like the other symptoms are like a mild flu, if that even.
    It depends on what sources you trust. The people china black bagged claim that the first time is suffocation from the lungs filling and then you are vulnerable to reinfection that attacks the heart.

To be honest there has been such a effort to obfuscate what is going on that we likely won't know the full story for another few weeks.

China was/is concerned about the cost in human lives enough to halt its production that alone has me stock piling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus
    I've undergone some major changes in the way I view and want to interact with the World over the past few weeks. (It's a long story that began 13 years ago.) Over two weeks later, my apologies for the delay in replying, but I am an asshole.
    Sounds like there is another problem and like you're trying to get that under control. May you find peace of mind.
    @Muajin76 The mask strikes me as a precaution to limit the spread mainly through keeping people from coughing and sneezing on each other. To that extent, I consider it useful. Outside of China, I would be unlikely to wear one unless the population in general wore masks to a degree similar to what we see in China -- perhaps in South Korea, for example.

Ideally, I'd like this to make an impression on other countries so that people begin to get more serious about how they see diseases to the point they start getting vaccinated, start taking sick days, and start using masks if they have to go out in public when they don't feel well. Moving away from paper currency would be nice too.
    @derpkitteh Posted just up the page:

A general article, not up to the moment but probably a decent enough overview.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...s-to-the-body/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    welp we got the east and west cost now officially covered.

transmission through chicago pretty much means its gone throughout the country and we can expect midwest and southern cases to pop up by weeks end.
    Yeah from east coast to west, north through south, through major airports and transportation hubs. It's all over the US now.

Went to Wal-Mart last night, decided to grab some Lysol, only 8 cans were left out of 3 shelves.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

- Stock up on weapons and ammo.
    - Board up your windows.
    - Trust no one, not even your neighbor.
    - Cannibalism may become necessary

I work at the airport, and there's confirmation that people through have been detected with it... time to quit.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200302003355320

South Korea reported a continued rise in the confirmed cases of the new coronavirus on Monday, bringing the total infections here to more than 4,300.

School breaks were again extended nationwide, until March 23, as the nation provides an "all-out response" to the fast-spreading virus that includes a massive testing program.

The 599 new cases of the novel coronavirus brought the nation's total number of infections here to 4,335, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

Monday's additional cases followed the nation's sharpest daily spikes of 1,062 on Sunday and 813 on Saturday.

So far, 26 people, mostly ones with underlying illnesses, have died here from COVID-19, which first emerged in China. Four new deaths were reported earlier in the day, including an 82-year-old man and an 87-year-old woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda a recap:

But this is hilarious:
    http://www.werewolfsolution.com/

Washing hands probaly wont be enogh tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta hoard all that food that will last you a month at best and then go out again for more in the middle of the outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    I don't agree with the name change. This must be called Wuhan virus since there are many types of Corona virus.
    This must stand like Spanish flu.
    Could be renamed Covid-19, as it is the disease's official name for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Nasa images show pollution over China has cleared as coronavirus keeps people inside.

Link: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-m...190523927.html

Maybe an explanation on the staggering of new cases in China? As there's less pollution, the general population is more healthy and less vulnerable to infection or worsening of symptoms?

On the local news :

In Europe, it is becoming a major issue due to the number of cases in Italy, now numbers of infected show up everywhere after having traveled there or been in contact with a traveler. France has banned public event of more than 5k people.

Here the government banned public events of 1k+ people (hard times for the Geneva Motor Show, and many sport competitions and late carnival regional events). A number of big international companies and organizations have taken measures such as putting on quarantine all their staff that had been to Italy (given that you had Fashion Week in Milan and the Venice Carnival...), cancelling all business trips, and in some cases asking employee to cancel any private trips, if not having the entire staff medically examined (talking about offices with close to 1k staff).

On the education front, we only have a few classes that are under quarantine, but all school-trips to Italy are cancelled in public schools, and some private schools are cancelling all their trips altogether.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2020-03-02 at 12:48 PM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

true true. i do find it very very hard how he can claim it as a hoax. it's beyond mind boggling

- - - Updated - - -

ok. i posted the post in the politics forum to discuss.
    Which was shut down by Thwart 2.0 (Rozz) because he seems to think the shitshow thread is somehow appropriate for political discussion of a virus that is killing more than a few people.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully there won't be another pandemic out of China after this one.
    Pandemics that start in other countries are fine though? What the actual fuck?