There are rules for price gouging. People are working around that by selling them online as collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    There are rules for price gouging. People are working around that by selling them online as collectibles
    ouch. nothing collectible about medical supplies. lol
    People are being really retarded during something so dangerous.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Whatever floats your boat.
    I was simply adding to the blame theme.

- - - Updated - - -

You would think the US would crack down on American based companies price gouging. It surely does seem like politicians have used the virus as some political situation rather than a purely science/medical one. T.T
    I think the American political system should burn and we rebuild a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone see that the Czech republic created a 130k$ fine for anyone breaking quarantine isolation? Why oh why isn't the US doing this?
    That would be seen as government overreach by many in the US no doubt. But these people who break quarantine and knowingly take the risk of infecting others could very well be directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. Normally that gets you thrown in jail, or something.

The US response to this disease has been pathetic so far. The government is asking people nicely to quarantine themselves (in most cases - I think NY for example is taking a stronger stance). How is that a viable strategy? One moron breaking quarantine can infect a hundred others and ~50% of the country has IQ <100. This will become a pandemic within 2 weeks if stronger policies are not put into place and enforced - although in my opinion, we've already lost control of the disease and it's only a matter of time before we see infected in the millions. It'll probably slow down in the northern hemisphere over summer, reappear in fall, and then we'll have vaccines in winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Most of the news coverage on this virus is nothing but a political and corporate stunt made to make people buy medical supplies. Literally some hand sanitizers online are 85 dollars. give me a break. oh and let china burn. its people will rebuild it as it should be.
    This is a global phenomenon. And it will probably be worse in the US than it was in China, because our government just isn't as functional/unified/able to enforce quarantines as theirs is. China basically has the disease under control - which, by the way, is extremely impressive; in the west, coronavirus is just getting started, and we won't be willing to hand out mandatory quarantines to 12 million people until it's way too late. China will emerge from this with 1 quarter of low gdp growth and a validation of their authoritarian governance. Unless the US changes course, the damage to US policies, governance, and leadership in the world will be irreversible and in the future likened to the events to catalyzed the fall of Rome.

There's no real need to buy medical supplies, so it's not really price gouging. Idiots buying $85 hand sanitizer aren't decreasing their chances of getting infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post

This is a global phenomenon. And it will probably be worse in the US than it was in China, because our government just isn't as functional/unified/able to enforce quarantines as theirs is. China basically has the disease under control - which, by the way, is extremely impressive; in the west, coronavirus is just getting started, and we won't be willing to hand out mandatory quarantines to 12 million people until it's way too late. China will emerge from this with 1 quarter of low gdp growth and a validation of their authoritarian governance. Unless the US changes course, the damage to US policies, governance, and leadership in the world will be irreversible and in the future likened to the events to catalyzed the fall of Rome.

There's no real need to buy medical supplies, so it's not really price gouging. Idiots buying $85 hand sanitizer aren't decreasing their chances of getting infected.
    China is doing dam well getting their problem rectified. Serious kudos to Xi. You would have thought other countries *given the fact that people travel to and from China daily, especially from places like Wuhan* they would have been on the ball and started preparing the moment the virus was mentioned. *Uh..President Trump, there is a serious virus coming out of China that could infect many countries..shouldn't we start preparing?*

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Many virus's are seasonal - it could disappear completely in a couple of months due to the change in weather / people's behavior.
    This is a viral infection, not a bacterial infection.

Viral infections never "disappear completely ".
    Last edited by Poe; 2020-03-07 at 02:13 AM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

10+ Year Old Account
    And 2 cases at the AIPAC DC conference.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...19/4979822002/

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to worry until I get infected.

Most of the news coverage on this virus is nothing but a political and corporate stunt made to make people buy medical supplies. Literally some hand sanitizers online are 85 dollars. give me a break. oh and let china burn. its people will rebuild it as it should be.
    Imagine buying hand sanitizer for a viral infection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    *hey man..want a shot of this new expensive hand sanitizer i just got?* :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercarp View Post
    I'm not going to worry until I get infected.
    what about your parents, other half, family or friends?

Hand sanitizers are generally alcohol gels which will quite happily destroy both critters and viruses.

P.S. The primary mechanism of hand washing with soap isn't that it destroys stuff, it's that it makes your hands really slippery and the bad things slide off and go down the drain. Seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about it? 70% alcohol will kill pretty much anything microbial, be it bacterial or viral. Or fungal, protozoal, etc.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    what about your parents, other half, family or friends?
    That's not something I can do anything about. If someone gets infected, it's between them and their immune system.

Either way, I'm done worrying, because worrying doesn't accomplish anything. Unless your goal is to weaken your immune system by being stressed all the time.

SARS-COV-2 is the name of the virus that causes the disease Covid-19. It is a single-stranded RNA virus containing 29,878 bases in its RNA strand. Multiple copies of the RNA are enclosed in a protein capsid, and the outer surface of that is covered with "spike" proteins which are like keys that fit into a very specific lock, which happens to be the mammalian ACE2 receptor found on the surface of many different types of cells in your body. When it encounters such a receptor, it binds to it and mechanically merges with the target and the RNA enters into the cytoplasm of the cell, where the cell's own machinery executes the code in the RNA to produce more of each of the components required to construct more virus particles.

The RNA contains ten different "open reading frames" which will get translated into ten different protein products, some of which get cleaved into multiple parts, each with its own function.

Just for fun, here is the complete RNA code for the virus as sequenced from a patient in Washington state USA. In the actual RNA the "T"s will actually be "U"s, but they are shown as T by convention (as if this were a DNA strand)

This is your enemy...

<Code was stretching the post and the page excessively. Use a link instead.>

- - - Updated - - -

And here's a nice painting of a cross-section of a virus particle by the famous molecular artist David Goodsell. Link below to the ludicrous size version for making into wallpaper etc.

"This painting depicts a coronavirus just entering the lungs, surrounded by mucus secreted by respiratory cells, secreted antibodies, and several small immune systems proteins. The virus is enclosed by a membrane that includes the S (spike) protein, which will mediate attachment and entry into cells, M (membrane) protein, which is involved in organization of the nucleoprotein inside, and E (envelope) protein, which is a membrane channel involved in budding of the virus and may be incorporated into the virion during that process. The nucleoprotein inside includes many copies of the N (nucleocapsid) protein bound to the genomic RNA."

Big version: https://cdn.rcsb.org/pdb101/goodsell...oronavirus.tif
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2020-03-07 at 05:44 AM.

No corporation is selling it for 85 dollars that son is good old american free citizens doing the good old capitalism...duh...
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How do you plan on having shiny things as you call them like food, services and supplies without travel and transportation? you are basically saying you can survive on what you have until the virus passes. Also let's be clear quarantines and other measures are there to buy you time it doesn't make the virus go away.
    you grow your own food. do you not know how to plant crops,hunt? if not i feel sorry for you. this is also why you need a supply of emergency food if shit like this happens. there was a life before supermarkets you know. of course it doesn't make the virus go away it contains where the hell did i say it makes it go away? do you like not know what the purpose of containment and a quarantine is? ITS TO CONTAIN THE SPREAD NOT KILL THE VIRUS. when you have a pandemic this is what happens. easy food supplies run out and your forced to fend for yourself. you don't fucking ignore it and let people spread the virus so more people die that's fucking moronic. money<human life. get it got it good. if not then i can't help you.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-03-07 at 04:51 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure a lot more people in the US have than reported simply due to the amount of people exposed and the rate that 'confirmed cases' go up each day. Its been incubating and we're simply seeing who are showing symptoms (or those unfortunate enough to have complications). A lot of people aren't going to even go to urgent care for their symptoms and completly fall under the radar.

Self-quarentine doesn't exactly resonate with US culture nor do we have the infrastructure/economy to support it. Many people simply cannot afford the medical bills to go get a positive test, maybe stay in the hospital for a fews and/or be quarantined. I don't see anyone leaders saying 'hey, if you're sick we'll support you until you get better' either. if you kid's school gets closed we'll watch them while you go to work, etc".

I know theres people who know a thing or two about immunology around here. Seems like one of the biggest concerns with this virus is that its new and there's risks of worst mutations? The less it spreads the less it can mutate, the lower the chances of a super bug in the Fall.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever floats your boat.
    I was simply adding to the blame theme.

- - - Updated - - -

You would think the US would crack down on American based companies price gouging. It surely does seem like politicians have used the virus as some political situation rather than a purely science/medical one. T.T
    I think the American political system should burn and we rebuild a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone see that the Czech republic created a 130k$ fine for anyone breaking quarantine isolation? Why oh why isn't the US doing this?
    "for the corporations by the corporations"

- - - Updated - - -

yes let's murder billions and commit genocide cause your mad. give me a fucking break. go sit in the corner and think about the awful shit you just posted.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm pretty sure a lot more people in the US have than reported simply due to the amount of people exposed and the rate that 'confirmed cases' go up each day. Its been incubating and we're simply seeing who are showing symptoms (or those unfortunate enough to have complications). A lot of people aren't going to even go to urgent care for their symptoms and completly fall under the radar.

Self-quarentine doesn't exactly resonate with US culture nor do we have the infrastructure/economy to support it. Many people simply cannot afford the medical bills to go get a positive test, maybe stay in the hospital for a fews and/or be quarantined. I don't see anyone leaders saying 'hey, if you're sick we'll support you until you get better' either. if you kid's school gets closed we'll watch them while you go to work, etc".

I know theres people who know a thing or two about immunology around here. Seems like one of the biggest concerns with this virus is that its new and there's risks of worst mutations? The less it spreads the less it can mutate, the lower the chances of a super bug in the Fall.
    I used to work as a cook in a hospital when I was younger and I still got hassled by my boss for calling out when I was sick with severe cold/flu. In other words I got verbally berated for not wanting to bring a contagious illness into an area where I'd be literally hands-on working on food for already health-compromised individuals. I have NO doubt there are far more actual cases than reported simply because a lot of people will be too worried about losing their jobs to call out until they can't get out of bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes let's murder billions and commit genocide cause your mad. give me a fucking break. go sit in the corner and think about the awful shit you just posted.
    Yeah people quit withe xenophobia but theres a reason coronaviruses tend to come out of China. When you havemeat markets so fresh that it was alive right up until you bought it at checkout you increase the chances of a new coronavirus popping up. There are TONs or different coronaviruses and since they are zoonotic the chances of one jumping from say a chicken to a human go up drastically. So maybe China could chill a bit with its wet markets.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you grow your own food. do you not know how to plant crops,hunt? if not i feel sorry for you. this is also why you need a supply of emergency food if shit like this happens. there was a life before supermarkets you know. of course it doesn't make the virus go away it contains where the hell did i say it makes it go away? do you like not know what the purpose of containment and a quarantine is? ITS TO CONTAIN THE SPREAD NOT KILL THE VIRUS. when you have a pandemic this is what happens. easy food supplies run out and your forced to fend for yourself. you don't fucking ignore it and let people spread the virus so more people die that's fucking moronic. money<human life. get it got it good. if not then i can't help you.
    Yeah hunt for food in cities. Do you mean humans? Because cities dont have deer walking around. Not like theres enough land for everyone to have their own garden either, unless you think everyone can afford that, in which case let me sell you a bridge.

You're a seriously troubled/ignorant individual.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.