Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    China is doing dam well getting their problem rectified. Serious kudos to Xi. You would have thought other countries *given the fact that people travel to and from China daily, especially from places like Wuhan* they would have been on the ball and started preparing the moment the virus was mentioned. *Uh..President Trump, there is a serious virus coming out of China that could infect many countries..shouldn't we start preparing?*
    Well when you have an authoritarian regime it is quite easy to control people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I used to work as a cook in a hospital when I was younger and I still got hassled by my boss for calling out when I was sick with severe cold/flu. In other words I got verbally berated for not wanting to bring a contagious illness into an area where I'd be literally hands-on working on food for already health-compromised individuals. I have NO doubt there are far more actual cases than reported simply because a lot of people will be too worried about losing their jobs to call out until they can't get out of bed.
    A state agency told caregivers to quarantine themselves in the home/facility they work in so one person could get x amount of people sick with the sick caring for the sick. This isn't for elderly places so though so I don't know if there is a different protocol for people particularly vulnerable to the virus.

But I remember in college the way a virus would spread throughout a lecture hall with people refusing to stay home their body forced them because professors wouldn't just accept being sick to push back assignments/tests.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Here's a nice visual explanation of why it's critical to slow down the epidemic as much as possible EVEN if it does not ultimately change the number of infections:

There are around 100,000 ICU beds in the US. Around 10% of "confirmed cases" are requiring ICU support for survival. If the number of active cases exceeds 1,000,000 then we can expect the fatality rate to approach 10% or more as people die because there are no ICU beds available for them.

If instead we can keep the active number of cases lower by delaying new infections through measures like social distancing, quarantine, aggressive testing, etc. then we stand a better chance of avoiding a complete meltdown of our health care infrastructure and the associated loss of life that would entail.

Just learned earlier today that the people on that cruise ship in san Francisco were not only allowed to disembark but weren't put into any type of quarantine despite it being known to be infected with the virus. These infected people were just allowed to go on their merry way like nothing is wrong

now we have one of those people up here in our hospital and not only did she have to travel though a whole bunch of places to get up here, likely infecting everyone she came in contact with along the way, but apparently she also went to a hospital in a different city before finally arriving here so now they're infected too

I just hope when I go do my grocery shopping tomorrow I can get a thing of toilet paper and I am actually going to carry my knife just in case
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    Just learned earlier today that the people on that cruise ship in san Francisco were not only allowed to disembark but weren't put into any type of quarantine despite it being known to be infected with the virus. These infected people were just allowed to go on their merry way like nothing is wrong

now we have one of those people up here in our hospital and not only did she have to travel though a whole bunch of places to get up here, likely infecting everyone she came in contact with along the way, but apparently she also went to a hospital in a different city before finally arriving here so now they're infected too

I just hope when I go do my grocery shopping tomorrow I can get a thing of toilet paper and I am actually going to carry my knife just in case
    The man in New York was literally among thousands touching everything...and that was after his symptoms reached the point of hospitalization. They did a better job at containing cases of norovirus than this.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Lots of new cases and deaths popping up today. There's no way that the number of infected hasn't broken five digits by now given the incompetent nature of US response.

My brother in law's workplace has a few cases, irony is that they are a pharmaceutical company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    Here's a nice visual explanation of why it's critical to slow down the epidemic as much as possible EVEN if it does not ultimately change the number of infections:

There are around 100,000 ICU beds in the US. Around 10% of "confirmed cases" are requiring ICU support for survival. If the number of active cases exceeds 1,000,000 then we can expect the fatality rate to approach 10% or more as people die because there are no ICU beds available for them.

If instead we can keep the active number of cases lower by delaying new infections through measures like social distancing, quarantine, aggressive testing, etc. then we stand a better chance of avoiding a complete meltdown of our health care infrastructure and the associated loss of life that would entail.
    Also worth noting ICU beds are things that sees regular use in hospitals even when a pandemic isn't an ongoing concern.

That is to say, the amount of available ICU beds are likely yet another step lower than that 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah people quit withe xenophobia but theres a reason coronaviruses tend to come out of China. When you havemeat markets so fresh that it was alive right up until you bought it at checkout you increase the chances of a new coronavirus popping up. There are TONs or different coronaviruses and since they are zoonotic the chances of one jumping from say a chicken to a human go up drastically. So maybe China could chill a bit with its wet markets.
    Are we still rping this is a natural virus? Even china grudgingly admitted this didn't originate from a market...

Quote Originally Posted by Teleros View Post
    Prescient article from William S Lind on all this:

A chink in our armour
    The United States is fortunate to have, in Donald Trump, a President who is likely to act and close our borders if that proves necessary in the case of the coronavirus (if it isn’t already).
    That is not prescient on March 5th; as it seems it was already too late by then.

Starting from the day before, March 4th, the number of reported cases in the US were: 44, 21, 19, 65 (and the day is still young).

WHO on March 5th reported that there was already Local Transmission in the US - https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=ed2ba78b_2

And is the US willing to act to stop local transmissions? https://apnews.com/461e25a61a7304f3446dbc92cf108bb2 And if the spready continues (as seem likely) and not only NBA-matches but also political rallies are seen as a threat, what will Trump do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    Are we still rping this is a natural virus? Even china grudgingly admitted this didn't originate from a market...
    Are you implying that it was engineered?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post

Yep..they tried to track down the people that left. Someone in charge has the IQ of a rock for letting them go.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Are you implying that it was engineered?
    You know when you get right down to it, if I was a scientist tasked with creating a virus that would cut down on population in the most ethical way possible, i'd probably reach for Coronavirus. Let's look at what we know.

- Those whom are elderly or have weak immune systems are affected more while youthful and healthy people are left unscathed. (Basically anyone unable to work or is a burden on the healthcare system)

- Will affect the homeless population greatly. (Also those who are a burden)

- Spreads easily to ensure most of the population is affected. Since it isn't airborne, this means it's also easy to clean up. Simply wiping down surfaces with anti-virus stuff usually does the trick.

- Is known to affect men more than women.

Everything I hear about this virus makes me suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Everything I hear about this virus makes me suspicious.
    Don't forget when they made AIDS to get rid of all the gays too.

/s
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Last edited by Strangebrew; 2020-03-07 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Don't forget when they made AIDS to get rid of all the gays too.

/s
    I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    didnt aids spread to humans because some guy in africa fucked a monkey?
    No.
    But even still, getting rid of homosexuals would do nothing. They can still work. And if nobody knows their gay, who the hell cares?

But jesus, even the non conspiratorial sort have WARNED US about the incoming influx of elderly and infirmed who cannot take care of themselves because of the lack of new doctors and care givers.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you grow your own food. do you not know how to plant crops,hunt? if not i feel sorry for you. this is also why you need a supply of emergency food if shit like this happens. there was a life before supermarkets you know. of course it doesn't make the virus go away it contains where the hell did i say it makes it go away? do you like not know what the purpose of containment and a quarantine is? ITS TO CONTAIN THE SPREAD NOT KILL THE VIRUS. when you have a pandemic this is what happens. easy food supplies run out and your forced to fend for yourself. you don't fucking ignore it and let people spread the virus so more people die that's fucking moronic. money<human life. get it got it good. if not then i can't help you.
    Not only is your scenario not only realistic for most people but you really don't understand humans. You can only slow the virus down you cannot contain it forever unless you want to institute Marshall law and fuck up the world. I am hoping this is a joke since I refuse to believe you are serious about this.

Recently a plane landed in Beijing from Italy. It had 8 people *2 families* all confirmed. They had the symptoms BEFORE coming here yet the plane wasn't denied. Just a few days before, 4 people from Italy came to Beijing. T.T
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And 2 cases at the AIPAC DC conference.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...19/4979822002/
    I expect the see their turnaround on the need for response soon then

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That is not prescient on March 5th; as it seems it was already too late by then.
    I was thinking more of his comments WRT globalism and such, but otherwise yeah, can't disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And is the US willing to act to stop local transmissions?
    I doubt it - but equally, I don't think the virus itself is actually that bad when compared to the usual influenza viruses and such that go around. Obviously the economic damage... yeah that's another thing entirely, and I'm certain that the Chinese authorities have been lying through their teeth about the scale of the epidemic in their country, but overall? Shouldn't be that bad once the dust settles. I expect there'll be a lot of "what were we panicking about?" once this is all over.
    Still not tired of winning.