Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    To be fair, our standard of living is so high that what we tend to consider a "decent life" seems like a warped perspective to many outside the country.
    To me a decent life is a roof over your head and food on the table, in the US min wage barely provides that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    What? Most Americans don't even make enough to live a decent life. Making 8 dollars an hour US doesn't mean much went rent is over 800-1000 a month, plus utilities at another 2-300.

You'd have to work 100 hours just to cover rent at 8 dollars an hour.
    A bad life in America is much better than an average life in many other poor countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    And whats the cost of living there? You do know, that you have to pay for medical aid yourself and that some prices are insane over there?
    Cost of living may change the numbers slightly, but it still doesn't stop Americans from being far wealthier than a vast majority of people on Earth, many of which don't have clean water or medicine.

I know it's hard for the average American to even think of leaving their borders and traveling somewhere else, but even the homeless in America are better off than many people in developing nations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    being poor in a rich nation isn't much better. the only difference is your settings are a bit comfier. it still sucks being poor in the u.s. as it does for someone living anywhere else. they still experience the same hopelessness,despair, inability to consistent pay bills, financial insecurity and in some cases lack of proper nourishment that other nations experience. YES THERE ACTUALLY ARE HUNGRY PEOPLE IN THE U.S. this post is frankly completely insulting. also the minimum wage here in some cases doesn't even provide that as some don't even have homes to live in. so stuff it with your "at least they are richer in the u.s." bullshit. like we don't suffer because we live in a richer country.

also have you seen our medical bills?
    I worked in a food bank for a year, and through that worked with various other food banks. The "people starving in America" thing is complete bullshit. Half of our stock we had to throw away weekly because people were too picky or refused to use a food bank.

Even if it's tough to pay your bills, at least people are able to get the things those bills pay for (electricity, running water, even cable or Netflix). Many people on Earth don't even have a choice to have those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    A bad life in America is much better than an average life in many other poor countries.

Cost of living may change the numbers slightly, but it still doesn't stop Americans from being far wealthier than a vast majority of people on Earth, many of which don't have clean water or medicine.

I know it's hard for the average American to even think of leaving their borders and traveling somewhere else, but even the homeless in America are better off than many people in developing nations.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked in a food bank for a year, and through that worked with various other food banks. The "people starving in America" thing is complete bullshit. Half of our stock we had to throw away weekly because people were too picky or refused to use a food bank.

Even if it's tough to pay your bills, at least people are able to afford the things those bills pay for (electricity, running water, even cable or Netflix). Many people on Earth don't even have a choice to have those.
    go tell that to the homeless people living out of their car. i'm sure they would love to hear your discussion on why they are too lazy to have netflix.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    A hypothesis is not evidence. Where did you learn about science, anyway?
    The about 1% estimate wasn't a hypothesis, it was a conclusion from their study.

Whereas "Evidence, broadly construed, is anything presented in support of an assertion."

So, that study was evidence for the statement that about 1% of the infected die, i.e. there isn't Zero evidence for it.

Oh, and to clarify - I didn't mean the newspaper report on the study, but the actual study - as it is called "Report 4".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    go tell that to the homeless people living out of their car. i'm sure they would love to hear your discussion on why they are too lazy to have netflix.
    They have a car, that already makes them richer than most of the people on Earth.

I know it's hard for people to wrap their heads around, but worldwide wealth inequality is far worse than wealth inequality within the United States.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean great, we're better off than a good chunk of the world. That doesnt stop problems being problems. Like coronavirus generally doesnt give a shit about your wealth level.

Whats the point other than to poo poo Americans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I mean great, we're better off than a good chunk of the world. That doesnt stop problems being problems. Like coronavirus generally doesnt give a shit about your wealth level.
    I would argue the opposite. The wealthier you are, the better your health infrastructure is. The death rate will be far worse in countries that do not have a proper medical infrastructure.

This will hardly hit the US in comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue the opposite. The wealthier you are, the better your health infrastructure is. The death rate will be far worse in countries that do not have a proper medical infrastructure.

Our health infrastructure is questionable at best. For those that make a lot of money its fine, but those without health insurance and those with crap health insurance, its often unachievable because of the sheer amount of money it costs. a Min wage person isnt gonna be able to afford a 3k medical bill. They arent going to be able to afford quarantining for 2 weeks with no pay.

I think you mistake assuming that because we are a wealthy nation, that our infrastructure is good. Our health infrastructure cant really compare to Europe, for example
    Last edited by Crissi; 2020-03-12 at 09:18 PM.

The US health infrastructure isn't anywhere near other first world countries, most people can't even afford to get care. People DIE daily because they can't afford medical care.

Wait...I thought the death rate for elderly was close to 10%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wait...I thought the death rate for elderly was close to 10%
    depend son the age range. Over 80 its 14%. 70-79 its like 8%. 60-69 its...3-4% I think

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Our health infrastructure is questionable at best. For those that make a lot of money its fine, but those without health insurance and those with crap health insurance, its often unachievable because of the sheer amount of money it costs. a Min wage person isnt gonna be able to afford a 3k medical bill. They arent going to be able to afford quarantining for 2 weeks with no pay.

I think you mistake assuming that because we are a wealthy nation, that our infrastructure is good. Our health infrastructure cant really compare to Europe, for example
    I'm talking comparatively good. I realize the USA's health infrastructure is pretty bad, but at least we have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Belgium in lockdown starting tomorrow.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

I'm talking comparatively good. I realize the USA's health infrastructure is pretty bad, but at least we have one.
    I am pretty sure that a lot of countries have that.
    I have the feeling that most of Americans "we are the best" is from their imagination that a few other countries have stuff they have and everything else is just a shithole. Catch up with everything that happened outside of your country.
    Pretty sure half of Africa's countries will suffer less than the US.
    (tbf this is also because of your Idiot-in-chief... but even without it's still bad, especially for a country that claims to be a first world country)

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting.

California Governor Gavin Newsom just signed an executive order which "waives the one-week waiting period for people who are unemployed and/or disabled as a result of COVID-19".

That's one way to get people paid during this crisis. I wonder if other states will follow suit.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully there's a lot of legislative changes after this is all done. If one thing it's exposes the many flaws of the US economy when it comes to workers.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crap a case was confirmed 4 hours from my location(Moose Jaw,Saskatchewan) , some 68 year old fool who traveled to aboard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Crap a case was confirmed 4 hours from my location(Moose Jaw,Saskatchewan) , some 68 year old fool who traveled to aboard
    *Shrug* there's 6 cases in my local hospital which is just one mile from me. It came from Chinese workers who returned from China's new year celebrations and infected fellow workmates.
    #boycottchina

Interesting video, at least after 8 minutes 10 seconds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rmMh2pLKAc
    (And as always ignore the youtube comments.)

The interesting part is that they explain why they aren't doing more radical things yet but will do it later when the deaths almost inevitably pile up.

Not that it matters a super lot what I personally thought a few days ago, but I have to admit I severely underestimated the risk here. I'm doing the little I can to broaden the curve - limiting personal travel, taking all the work from home days I can get, canceling unnecessary trips that I and people under me have.

As @PACOX states a couple posts above, this pandemic is pretty bad, but what really concerns me is how inept the response has been - thinking about more dangerous pathogens is deeply concerning.