Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It causes the same symptoms as the normal flu.... how is this spreading misinformation?

The novel thing about this virus are it's method of transmission and the fact that we don't have a vaccine for it yet.

Not going to link shit that's all over the news and internet. Multiple sources have said the vast majority of the population is low risk and will recover from it that same way they would from the regular flu.

We'll see what happens in a month, then. Not trying to be snide, just going based off the data available now. I'll revise my opinion should new/ different information come to light.

And sensationalizing it will only make the parallel effects to the rest of world, including the economy, a lot worse than it needs to be.

I am not trying "downplay" it, if that's what it sounds like, that's not my intention. Just trying to bring the current panic dial from the current 11 down to a 7 or 8.
    It's not the flu, and it doesn't actually have the same symptoms as the flu (or at least not all the same). That's about the same as saying a cold has the same symptoms as the flu, or that the flu has the same symptoms as pneumonia.

The simple fact of the matter is that the mortality rate is higher than the seasonal flu, especially in older people, and those with pre-existing issues. Should we panic? No. Should we take it seriously? Hell yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    Please listen to the WHO but listen carefully.

It's not just that the mortality ( in a perfect not collapsed health system...in a collapsed? Italy is around 6%) is 10X times the common flu ( taking the optimistic 1%)…it is extremely more contagious .

It threatens to infect 70% population and no regular flu can do that not even if we tried intentionally.

So that 1% needs to be applied to WAY HIGHER base that will catch covid-19 and therefore makes it several orders of higher danger and therefore can kill way more than 10X the regular flu.

This is not a flu. It was never a flu. We can't compare with the flu.

Please I beg all people that don't make our own inferences…listen to the WHO.
    The novel thing about COVID-19 is it's transmission. The infection itself causes the same symptoms as the flu. That's all I'm trying to say. That's why it's being compared to the flu.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

I am not trying "downplay" it, if that's what it sounds like, that's not my intention. Just trying to bring the current panic dial from the current 11 down to a 7 or 8.
    You know, that's not always a good idea. We have the ABILITY to panic for a GOOD reason. We a looking at a worst case scenario in Germany leaving 7,5 million dead according to a pandemic-scenario study, conducted by the German government in 2012.

And do you know what they did to counter the threat, to prevent millions of deaths?

Nothing.

One of the most wealthy, powerful states in the middle of Europe does exactly NOTHING to protect their citizens.

Edit:

Also #staythefuckhome

https://staythefuckhome.com/
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2020-03-13 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    But isn't it a very long-period expectation?
    Depends on what scale you're defining as 'long', it's the 2-3 month spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The simple fact of the matter is that the mortality rate is higher than the seasonal flu, especially in older people, and those with pre-existing issues. Should we panic? No. Should we take it seriously? Hell yes.
    And nowhere did I suggest otherwise. But the amount panic surrounding this is out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    And nowhere did I suggest otherwise. But the amount panic surrounding this is out of hand.
    Pretty much, 2 days ago we had fake news in poland that shops will be closed up, and people went nuclear.

10+ Year Old Account
    The novel thing about COVID-19 is it's transmission. The infection itself causes the same symptoms as the flu. That's all I'm trying to say. That's why it's being compared to the flu.
    No, people are comparing it to flu to intentionally downplay it, since a lot of people claim to have flu when they just have a bad cold and it's something they've had experience with.

I honestly don't see that much panic. I see random memes about toilet paper, but when I went to the store the past few days, I saw nothing of the sort. Facebook is not the best barometer on how people are actually acting.

And, you are the one who keeps trying to call it the flu, whilst spreading outright lies and misinformation.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    My condolences.

You are in a tough situation. Take care.
    Machismo forgetting all his libertarian ideals when there's a crisis that affects him..

This is the same guy who wants open borders, want no help to migrants n perfectly willing to have them die in the streets...

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Anyone want to take bets if the bond market implodes because of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    You know, that's not always a good idea. We have the ABILITY to panic for a GOOD reason. We a looking at a worst case scenario in Germany leaving 7,5 million dead according to a pandemic-scenario study, conducted by the German government in 2012.

And do you know what they did to counter the threat, to prevent millions of deaths?

Nothing.

One of the most wealthy, powerful states in the middle of Europe does exactly NOTHING to protect their citizens.
    Panic is almost always pointless and unproductive and in many cases outright dangerous. Keeping a level head, thinking clearly and taking measured and deliberate precautions is infinitely more effective. Being put into a situation that elevates your caution and forces you to make decisions quickly is not the same thing as a panic.

What you're calling Germany out for is being incompetent. It's not they didn't panic, they didn't do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly don't see that much panic. I see random memes about toilet paper, but when I went to the store the past few days, I saw nothing of the sort. Facebook is not the best barometer on how people are actually acting.

And, you are the one who keeps trying to call it the flu, whilst spreading outright lies and misinformation.
    I have never called it the flu. I said the symptoms are the same...which they are. That's not the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Local stores were fine for me over the past few days, only sold out of hand sanitizer but then 2 cases in Austin appeared and everyone freaked out. Grocery stores get sold out, huge lines, police getting called to handle fights over items and managers working 15 hour shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Machismo forgetting all his libertarian ideals when there's a crisis that affects him..

This is the same guy who wants open borders, want no help to migrants n perfectly willing to have them die in the streets...
    You may want to go read about what I said. I get that you think you have something, but your inability to read a full paragraph should not be someone else's problem. My libertarian ideals remain very much intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    No, people are comparing it to flu to intentionally downplay it, since a lot of people claim to have flu when they just have a bad cold and it's something they've had experience with.
    Fair enough. But that's not what I'm trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Local stores were fine for me over the past few days, only sold out of hand sanitizer but then 2 cases in Austin appeared and everyone freaked out. Grocery stores get sold out, huge lines, police getting called to handle fights over items and managers working 15 hour shifts.
    The only problem I had with my store, is that they changed the fucking aisles around last week. I like knowing where things are.

- - - Updated - - -

Panic is almost always pointless and unproductive and in many cases outright dangerous. Keeping a level head, thinking clearly and taking measured and deliberate precautions is infinitely more effective. Being put into a situation that elevates your caution and forces you to make decisions quickly is not the same thing as a panic.

What you're calling Germany out for is being incompetent. It's not they didn't panic, they didn't do anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never called it the flu. I said the symptoms are the same...which they are. That's not the same thing.
    Except, that is EXACTLY what you did:

Because it technically IS just a slightly stronger flu, with the ability to be transmitted farther without people knowing because of the incubation period.

The reason it's a big deal is because it doesn't have a vaccine and the fragile parts of the community are severely at risk. The vast majority of the population will be just fine, but while THEY might be fine, the transmission method allows those people who will be just fine to transmit it to people who won't be fine, or would be much more severely affected.

Every health expert and site says the same thing.

Let's not overblow the effects of the virus. In roughly the same time frame, the flu has affected and killed FAR more people than COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

That's not to say people shouldn't still be cautious, but this isn't some super bug that's going to destroy the world. Take the same precautions with this as you would the flu (obviously minus the vaccine...since there isn't one) and we'll be fine.
    No, it isn't technically anything of the sort, and you were pushing outright lies.

I'm not going off facebook. Where I live it's nearly impossible to find toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer or cases of water...someone tried to steal a case of water out of the trunk of my car yesterday as I was taking groceries in and left the trunk open.

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem I had with my store, is that they changed the fucking aisles around last week. I like knowing where things are.

- - - Updated - - -

Except, that is EXACTLY what you did:

No, it isn't technically anything of the sort, and you were pushing outright lies.
    The symptoms.....the symptoms....the symptoms.

Jesus man. I am not spreading outright lies. My apologies if that message wasn't clear in my original post.

I'm not going off facebook. Where I live it's nearly impossible to find toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer or cases of water...someone tried to steal a case of water out of the trunk of my car yesterday as I was taking groceries in and left the trunk open.
    Well, you live in a shitty place, because I have been in multiple stores over the past week, in two different states... and everything seemed fine.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The symptoms.....the symptoms....the symptoms.

Jesus man. I am not spreading outright lies. My apologies if that message wasn't clear in my original post.
    Except it isn't technically just a slightly stronger flu. The symptoms are not all the same, and you are deliberately pushing misinformation.

That's the point.

Hell, that's the exact same rhetoric that anti-vaxxers use on a daily basis.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    It really depends on where you are. Yesterday, one of the counties near us suddenly announced they were closing for the next week and a half. Stores got pummeled and my wife said things were very chaotic. Good luck finding toilet paper in any store out here...the few that do have extremely strict restrictions (one package per customer). Bottled water is also largely gone currently.

Relatives in another state said things seemed normal until today, and are only now seeing issues getting products.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Go to Amazon and search for toilet paper. Completely sold out except for some of the partners selling TP at extreme prices or weeks before being shipped.

I' m unable to understand why people think there's gonna be shortage of supplies.

Why?

There's gonna be restrictions for people movement (99% chances in Europe) but the trucks will keep on getting to the stores with no restriction ( mostly because if population can't find supplies that's where people CAN'T stay home).

In fact all the movements governments are doing are precisely trying to guarantee people can stay home.

What's the scenario that will make stores empty? Because the only one that i can think of is precisely hoarding for months.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    It really depends on where you are. Yesterday, one of the counties near us suddenly announced they were closing for the next week and a half. Stores got pummeled and my wife said things were very chaotic. Good luck finding toilet paper in any store out here...the few that do have extremely strict restrictions (one package per customer). Bottled water is also largely gone currently.

Relatives in another state said things seemed normal until today, and are only now seeing issues getting products.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Go to Amazon and search for toilet paper. Completely sold out except for some of the partners selling TP at extreme prices or weeks before being shipped.
    Maybe I just don't notice, because I'm a prepared shopper. I will never run out of anything that people would deem "essential."

The toilet paper thing is idiotic, considering Coronavirus doesn't cause diarrhea, much less anal bleeding.