Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    According to the Hospitalization Statistics, Plenty of Young Adults had to go to the hospital because of the Virus to get Ventilators etc... In fact it seems that a good amount of cases in American Hospitalizations because of the Virus were young people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/h...ng-people.html
    This report, and the included image, are borderline atrocious. This is so poorly constructed, seemingly for the purpose of making headlines (with incorrect numbers) to scare the younger generations.

The given age range of 20-44 is a span of 24 years, whereas the older age brackets in the study are of 9 year ranges.
    • 0-19: 123 cases, 2% hospitalization, no ICU, no death
    • 20-44: 705 cases, 20% hospitalization, 4% ICU, .2% death
    • 45-54: 429 cases, 28% hospitalization, 10% ICU, .8% death
    • 55-64: 429 cases, 30% hospitalization, 11% ICU, 2.6% death
    • 65-74: 409 cases, 43% hospitalization, 18% ICU, 4.9% death
    • 75-84: 210 cases, 58% hospitalization, 31% ICU, 10.5% death
    • 84+: 144 cases, 70% hospitalization, 29% ICU, 27.3% death

It would have been helpful and more truthful to break up the 20-44 bracket into smaller segments. Better yet, divide them all into five year brackets for more accuracy. When does the number really start to climb after age 19?

I do not see how scaring millennials like this is a good thing.
    Last edited by Zeth Hawkins; 2020-03-20 at 05:18 AM.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

so just came across this article
    34yr old dies from corona after visiting disney world in florida. he did have underlying health conditions but he was still young so young people need to stop acting like they're invincible!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...dcy-story.html
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    This report, and the included image, are borderline atrocious. This is so poorly constructed, seemingly for the purpose of making headlines (with incorrect numbers) to scare the younger generations.

The given age range of 20-44 is a span of 24 years, whereas the older age brackets in the study are of 9 year ranges.
    • 0-19: 123 cases, 2% hospitalization, no ICU, no death
    • 20-44: 705 cases, 20% hospitalization, 4% ICU, .2% death
    • 45-54: 429 cases, 28% hospitalization, 10% ICU, .8% death
    • 55-64: 429 cases, 30% hospitalization, 11% ICU, 2.6% death
    • 65-74: 409 cases, 43% hospitalization, 18% ICU, 4.9% death
    • 75-84: 210 cases, 58% hospitalization, 31% ICU, 10.5% death
    • 84+: 144 cases, 70% hospitalization, 29% ICU, 27.3% death

It would have been helpful and more truthful to break up the 20-44 bracket into smaller segments. Better yet, divide them all into five year brackets for more accuracy. When does the number really start to climb after age 19?

To try and show them it is a serious matter and try and run some kind of damage control on their " it's just a flu bro" campaign they did weeks earlier.

It's not, Millennials are about 25-39 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

The Numbers are directly from the CDC

All indicate that Hospitalizations for people 44-20 and younger make up 20% of Hospitalizations.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/40-hospita...ry?id=69681304
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-new-cdc-data/
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/people...-patients-cdc/
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/healt...ims/index.html
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/yo...us/ar-BB11nGEB
    https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/yo...pitalizations/
    https://www.news-journalonline.com/z...breakers-party
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rt/2874271001/

From the CDC

Last edited by szechuan; 2020-03-20 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarity
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    The numbers are not incorrect. And they literally come from the report.
    Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, 26% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years.

Among 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 7% of cases were reported among adults ≥85 years, 46% among adults aged 65–84 years, 36% among adults aged 45–64 years, and 12% among adults aged 20–44 years.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Here is what it's like in China, and also a few blurbs about what life is like in a post-corona virus world.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...FrP?li=BBnbcA1

Title: World Feared China Over Coronavirus. Now the Tables Are Turned.

The gist of the article is that the roles of China and the US are reversed, combined with some interesting tidbits about how the world might be in the US once we get to where China is now.

Across Asia, travelers from Europe and the United States are being barred or forced into quarantine. Gyms, private clinics and restaurants in Hong Kong warn them to stay away. Even Chinese parents who proudly sent their children to study in New York or London are now mailing them masks and sanitizer or rushing them home on flights that can cost $25,000.

“We came back because we think going back to China is safer than staying in New York,” said Farrah Lyu, a 24-year-old recent college graduate who flew home to eastern China with her roommate this month.
    Basically, at this time, China is safer than many places in the US. MUCH safer than the cities in US that have been hardest hit.

Now the pandemic that originated in China is migrating and starting to recirculate. Across Asia, where Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea successfully grappled with the virus early, alongside China, there is a growing sense of fear and dismay. Much of the region looks west and asks: We’re getting it right — why can’t you?
    People throughout all of SE Asia, not just China, are wondering why the west is doing so poorly in dealing with this.

Especially in China and the Chinese diaspora, there is a growing demand for recognition of the hard work and sacrifices that tamed the outbreak, and a desire to tell the world what has gone right and wrong, and why.
    I would prefer that people in the US spent more time getting things fixed in the US rather than insisting that our number one goal is to punish China for the mistakes that they made. We have made huge mistakes too, and that was AFTER both China and South Korea had started dealing with the virus, and we DID have sufficient time to deal with it before it got bad here. We just refused to prepare.

We also may end up needing China a lot more than they need us. We STILL aren't able to provide enough masks or testing kits.

Similar arguments are flooding Chinese social media. One popular comic shows China sick as the world watches behind a glass barrier, followed by a panel with an angry, healthy China behind the glass as other countries play and tussle without masks like unruly children.
    The US media has distributed quite a few images of Americans at spring break in Florida, attending concerts, and at other large gatherings. Images of Americans in groups drinking Corona beer to mock the virus have also been distributed. These images are also being viewed world wide, and it does not make the US look very good.

In the United States and Europe, there was more hesitation. And now they are hubs of infection sending disease across the globe. In Australia, the United States is now the leading source of coronavirus cases, followed by Italy, then China.
    Australia gets more cases of the virus from the US than any other country. We blame China and then punish Australia?

“I hope China can tighten its national borders and significantly reduce the number of people entering the country,” said Tang Xiaozhao, a plastic surgery manager in Shanghai.
    I think most, if not all, countries, will be taking many more actions to tighten up their borders. This will substantially change the way the world works in ways, some good some bad, that we can't even begin to predict.

At home in China, they said, they felt safer. They self-quarantined in their rooms, with their parents leaving food and novels at their bedroom doors.

Their groceries were delivered and even their trash was collected and treated by hospital employees in hazmat suits.

“Everything was planned,” Ms. Lyu said. “We don’t have to worry about everything.”
    This describes what a total lock down would entail. We may very well end up taking on many of these actions ourselves.

From the CDC

I take it the ranges in percentage correlate to the given age limits? (20 y.o. ~ 14.3%)? Because that would mean one hell of a leap from age 19 to the age 20 group. Is this schools being closed down working like a charme or is there some other underlying explanation?
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-03-20 at 06:04 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I take it the ranges in percentage correlate to the given age limits? (20 y.o. ~ 14.3%)? Because that would mean one hell of a leap from age 19 to the age 20 group.
    Those numbers are even higher than what outlets reported earlier. They were saying under 55 was at ~20%. Collectively its at 48%. 20% for 20-44 by itself is huge.

Also think the numbers are the jump between Feb and March? Maybe?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-03-20 at 06:09 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post

People throughout all of SE Asia, not just China, are wondering why the west is doing so poorly in dealing with this.
    China is East Asia, so is Taiwan and South Korea. Singapore is in Southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    China is East Asia, so is Taiwan and South Korea. Singapore is in Southeast Asia.
    Thank you for clarification. All this time I thought of China, Taiwan, and Korea as being "SE Asia".

How wrong I was.

While we are on the subject, what region is India and Bangladesh considered a part of?

Here is what it's like in China...
    What an incredibly disingenuous post.

a) Very little time is spent finger pointing compared to fighting the disaster which is unfolding

b) The review of how and why our society could have done better will be thorough

c) The review of how much to trust the Chinese government after their poor practices and lies instigated a global catastrophe will be thorough as well

d) Given those lies, we are meant to trust their reporting now?

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Those numbers are even higher than what outlets reported earlier. They were saying under 55 was at ~20%. Collectively its at 48%. 20% for 20-44 by itself is huge.

Also think the numbers are the jump between Feb and March? Maybe?
    Hmm? I wasn't refering to the total amount (which does mean 51% of cases are below 55), I was talking about the hospitalization and ICU statistics. I think the statistic anomaly between 19 and 20 is remarkable and there is probably a reason for that. That overall cases are high in the group is hardly surprising, afterall they are constant told it's only dangerous for the old and sick and many are expected to still work.

Edit: I think you misinterpreted them (or did I?), the percentage is for people in that bracket, otherwise we would have more than 100% hospitalization rate. Combined all below 55 would probably average out to about a 20% hospitalization rate, give or take a couple percentage points.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-03-20 at 06:20 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Here is what it's like in China, and also a few blurbs about what life is like in a post-corona virus world.
    China trying to play the victim here is not going to go over at all well, not while this is still very much n the early stages.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Yup. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...040314568.html

Indian authorities have said they will not expand coronavirus testing, as most affected nations are doing, despite criticism that limited testing could leave COVID-19 cases undetected in the world's second-most populous country...

India is conducting only about 90 tests a day, despite having the capacity for as many as 8,000. So far, 11,500 people have been tested, according to The Associated Press.

Balaram Bharghava, who heads the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the country's top medical research body, said the guidance was "premature" for India, where community transmission has not yet been detected.
    Jesus - that is bad. Really bad. They aren't even going to test, so they won't know - at all - how many cases they could have (using models). And with their water and cleaning problems, Coronavirus is just going to run rampant through their larger cities.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-03-20 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    What an incredibly disingenuous post.

a) Very little time is spent finger pointing compared to fighting the disaster which is unfolding

b) The review of how and why our society could have done better will be thorough

c) The review of how much to trust the Chinese government after their poor practices and lies instigated a global catastrophe will be thorough as well

d) Given those lies, we are meant to trust their reporting now?
    I would prefer to have as few people around me die as possible. There are quite a few virus cases near where I live, and the numbers are growing daily. So yeah, my preference is to put our efforts into fighting the disaster which is unfolding.

Furthermore, the country I am from, the US, has done an awful lot wrong as well. A recent article shows that 5 US Senators were warned about how bad the virus would be in the US, and instead of alerting the public and working to ramp up preparations, kept their mouths shut as the official US position was that there was nothing to worry about, and instead made stock transactions to pad their personal bankrolls.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Jesus - that is bad. Really bad. They aren't even going to test, so they won't know - at all - how many cases they could have (using models). And with their water and cleaning problems, Coronavirus is just going to run rampant through their larger cities.
    And oh yeah, India does not seem to be dealing with it well either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Hmm? I wasn't refern to the total amount (which does mean 51% of cases are below 55), I was talking about the hospitalization and ICU statistics. I think the statistic anomaly between 19 and 20 is remarkable and there is probably a reason for that. That overall cases are high in the group is hardly surprising, afterall they are constant told it's only dangerous for the old and sick.

Edit: I think you misinterpreted them (or i did), the percentage is for people in that bracket, otherwise we would have more than 100% hospitalization rate. Combined all below 50% would probably average out to about 20%, give or take a couple percentage points.
    I'm reading it as:

Age group -> percentage of sick age group hospitalized -> percentage of sick age group that were admitted to the ICU -> percentage of the case that were fatal.

I thank the range between the percentages is the delta (change) from Feb - March. Thats what I'm not so sure about. Or maybe is they are saying it could be anywhere between the low and high number? I'm not sure.

I see people on other sites trying to downplay the stats, which is now how stats work.

Also 705 is a TON of cases relative to the rest of the group

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    China trying to play the victim here is not going to go over at all well, not while this is still very much n the early stages.
    So we break the world up into groups of people all trying to convince everyone else that they were more victimized than anyone else?

On a practical note, once this is all over, this will all be forgotten. Already, in the US, there is a wide range of opinions as to what Trump actually did and did not do in January and February, which was only 2 months ago. By like July there will be absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the truth of what "really happened".

The Numbers are directly from the CDC

All indicate that Hospitalization rates for people 44-20 and younger make up 20% of Hospitalizations.
    I am aware the numbers are directly from the CDC. I never said they weren't. My point is that the "20% of people age 20-44" stat is useless. The range is far too broad, especially when compared to the other age brackets. It is meaningless for anyone in the lower half.

Also, linking the images of the charts shows you did not read my post. I had the second chart directly in the post of mine that you responded to.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

This virus will destroy our life and all countries economic value too and its easy to say that stay at home but its very hard for the people who get earning on daily basis and due to this shit we are unable to go our office like i am also working in software development company but now i am at office but dont know how much time i will come there at some point we will also heard that now you should do work from your home too as well. Stay safe and healthy

I am aware the numbers are directly from the CDC. I never said they weren't. My point is that the "20% of people age 20-44" stat is useless. The range is far too broad, especially when compared to the other age brackets. It is meaningless for anyone in the lower half.
    This is useless how? Are you a healthcare professional and/or working with the CDC?

Also, linking the images of the charts shows you did not read my post. I had the second chart directly in the post of mine that you responded to.
    I did, you were also not specifying which Report you were talking about and made no mention of the CDC in your Post.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-03-20 at 06:57 AM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.