Quote Originally Posted by Dormie View Post
    That attorney general seemed reasonable to me.
    You would.

I would be rational? Got me!

I would be rational? Got me!
    Yeah, that's what I meant...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Probably not many care, but couple of places where this shit can do a lot of damage are refugee camps, Syria chiefly, but let's add Yemen too. Think squalor in India, but worse.
    Then places like Donbass also could get hit hard, I really do not think the macho guys there have a big priority on some virus...
    Well, an unexpected bonus of living in a blockaded unrecognized puppet state is that we've been sort of semi-quarantined since 2014, so it's easy to implement fully closed borders. Quick googling tells me that Donetsk People's Republic is almost exactly the size of Delaware + Rhode Island combined, and has population about 1.15x of those two combined, 2.3 million people. As of yesterday, we had zero confirmed cases and 70 returning tourists (yeah lol) being quarantined and tested for the virus.

And, we're not comparable to refugee camps, we're just impoverished eastern European cities. I can't talk about Luhansk, but Donetsk city was largely spared during the war, so we have some (outdated?) medical equipment and even some medical personnel, so when we'll get actual cases, then we'll see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    That attorney general seemed reasonable to me.
    How so? If the governor wont do their job, and counties / cities are having significant outbreaks, what the hell are those cities / counties supposed to do?

Take Texas. Dallas has over 300 confirmed cases now. Should we not be allowed to shut down if the governor decided to be an imbecile and say "you're not allowed despite an outbreak?"

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This virus will cause far, far more deaths than the H1N1 by the time it's done.
    Okay, I gave it a week and yeah I think Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims by the time it's over. But doomsaying and fearmongering doesn't help. The German doctor is a great example for us all - not cheery, yet a calm voice.

Before you press that report button, I'm not callous; but I have spent entire Donbass War in the besieged Donetsk city. (my family was safe away of course) Everyone here either knew someone who has died in the war, or has a close relative or friend who knew someone.

So, while each victim is a tragedy, you must take into account www.worldometers.info the same site that tracks the pandemic also tracks Earth population, and I quote, "The current average population increase is estimated at 81 million people per year." That's ~220k pop growth every day. We're not facing Bubonic Plague level disaster here, Earth population will keep growing every day. Be careful and sensible, and you'll most likely be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Okay, I gave it a week and yeah I think Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims by the time it's over. But doomsaying and fearmongering doesn't help.
    What exactly do you think is fear-mongering here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    I'm not callous
    Despite the hardships you've faced, and despite the rate of human expansion, downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying is kinda the definition of the word "callous".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to ask this here because I need to know if this is a local or global issue with COVID-19 and hospitals. As many of you who have read my posts know my wife is a nurse here in Chicago. She handles IV Therapy in an outpatient chemotherapy ward. Today they decided to furlough a portion of the nurses in the ward as they rescheduled chemo treatments due to the sheer number of people in the waiting rooms who could die if infected by the coronavirus. My question here is has anyone else heard about that happening in their respective cities and countries where healthcare workers are being let go instead of moved to staff other more important areas?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    What exactly do you think is fear-mongering here?

Despite the hardships you've faced, and despite the rate of human expansion, downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying is kinda the definition of the word "callous".

This right here in your very post is fearmongering:
    downplaying the potential for an extra 40 million people or more dying
    Your estimate is slightly off: so far death rate for closed cases is 17%, so 7.77 billion times .17 is 1.32 billion potential victims.

Also, IMHO, while my "Covid-19 will probably exceed 200k of swine flu's victims" is realistic, your "This virus will cause far, far more deaths than the H1N1" is too panicky. And, in general, your posts in this topic are on the panicky side; you seem to argue against anyone who doesn't express significant concern. Sorry for ad hominem BTW, I don't mean it that way, just answering your question. I am sufficiently concerned to warn people close to me to be careful, but I don't think the sky is falling for the human race.

Edit: in other words, what's the opposite of callous? Oversensitive? I think both extremes don't help.
    Last edited by Cynep; 2020-03-28 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    About that "other virus;" Hantavirus is one illness you don’t need to worry about right now — as long as you avoid contact with rodents

Dr. Tania Elliott from NYU Langone Health in Manhattan told MarketWatch that hantavirus has actually been around for a long time, “probably for centuries,” and that it is most prevalent in China with anywhere from 16,000 to 100,000 cases a year.

But unlike the coronavirus — which is believed to spread from person to person through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes — the hantavirus is primarily spread by contact with mice and their urine, feces or saliva. In fact, the CDC notes that, to date, “no cases of HPS (hantavirus pulmonary syndrome) have been reported in the United States in which the virus was transmitted from one person to another.” So avoiding the hantavirus basically comes down to avoiding contact with rodents, Dr. Elliott said.
    Given that:

Bamboo rats – eco-friendly answer to growing appetites for meat?

...with it having being promoted by the chinese government to combat poverty, here is yet another ticking bomb...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I'm going to ask this here because I need to know if this is a local or global issue with COVID-19 and hospitals. As many of you who have read my posts know my wife is a nurse here in Chicago. She handles IV Therapy in an outpatient chemotherapy ward. Today they decided to furlough a portion of the nurses in the ward as they rescheduled chemo treatments due to the sheer number of people in the waiting rooms who could die if infected by the coronavirus. My question here is has anyone else heard about that happening in their respective cities and countries where healthcare workers are being let go instead of moved to staff other more important areas?
    All Belgium staff has been reappointed to deal with this crisis, even courses went out to refresh their ICU knowledge they are still supported by actual ICU doctors. Even doctors that generally don't work in ICU or deal with patient treatment, such as experts are being re appointed to deal with this, including night shifts.

All non-essential procedures are delayed also, this is very much something that is happening everywhere.

edit: Misread, they are doing what? Letting people go? that is absurd you'll be vastly understaffed. Only logical reason i can think off is that they waited far too long and missed the window to give them a crash course but even then.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-03-28 at 07:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    About that "other virus;" Hantavirus is one illness you don’t need to worry about right now — as long as you avoid contact with rodents

Dr. Tania Elliott from NYU Langone Health in Manhattan told MarketWatch that hantavirus has actually been around for a long time, “probably for centuries,” and that it is most prevalent in China with anywhere from 16,000 to 100,000 cases a year.

But unlike the coronavirus — which is believed to spread from person to person through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes — the hantavirus is primarily spread by contact with mice and their urine, feces or saliva. In fact, the CDC notes that, to date, “no cases of HPS (hantavirus pulmonary syndrome) have been reported in the United States in which the virus was transmitted from one person to another.” So avoiding the hantavirus basically comes down to avoiding contact with rodents, Dr. Elliott said.
    We actually have hantaviruses endemic to the United States. And we've had outbreaks that sicked quite a few people before, but again, because it does typically require a person to be in close contact with mice or other rodents, it's not to common.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the total amount of dead that is important right now. The real problem is the flooding of ICU's. Because that is happening / bound to happen. A "normal" flu is spread over a larger period.

Over here they expect to flatten the curve in about a week. That means we might hit or exceed our ICU limit. Thank God our German neighbors are willing to take over some of our patients.

Certain people try to claim the US's spiking infection rate is somehow purely linked to international travel. Meanwhile, I just went through the day's email, where pretty much every company on earth has reassured me that their personnel have been deemed essential to US infrastructure and are ready to serve me. Taco bell is essential to US infrastructure. My car's service shop is essential to US infrastructure. The pet food store is essential to US infrastucture. Social distancing only works when more than 20% of the population is doing it.

Hell, even my own job got clearance for everyone to be considered essential personnel. No one here is essential to the infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    My car's service shop is essential to US infrastructure. The pet food store is essential to US infrastucture.
    To be fair, both of these could be essential to ensure people have operating vehicles to drive in an emergency and pets are fed. Can't just have them all die off.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    To be fair, both of these could be essential to ensure people have operating vehicles to drive in an emergency and pets are fed. Can't just have them all die off.
    I think we can come up with a compelling reason for all of them to be infrastructure, but we really need to make the decision that maybe not all of our infrastructure needs should be met by everyone. I can hear capitalists screeching if the government picks and chooses which companies that serve the same function get to stay open, but this capitalist culture is half of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I think we can come up with a compelling reason for all of them to be infrastructure, but we really need to make the decision that maybe not all of our infrastructure needs should be met by everyone. I can hear capitalists screeching if the government picks and chooses which companies that serve the same function get to stay open, but this capitalist culture is half of the problem.
    Honestly, I can misconstrue very easily. However, I cannot call fast food essential. Its not healthy and is more expensive than getting something at the grocery store.

I would classify Government services, auto repair, grocery stores, or any place that primarily sells pet food or medical supplies essential. Anything else, just get it shut down. Not even take out or delivery options any longer.

Bigger problem is its coming down to the states to define these things and everyone has different definitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    They even offer new service: full interior disinfection.
    I would question their qualification and capability to actually do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Is it a social or moral duty that compels us to save those who would die if nature were free to run its course? The coronavirus might act as a population stabiliser. Look at the massive spike in the global population over the last 100 years, it's insane!

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Is it a social or moral duty that compels us to save those who would die if nature were free to run its course? The coronavirus might act as a population stabiliser. Look at the massive spike in the global population over the last 100 years, it's insane!
    If "nature were free to run its course" people like you would already have starved. Fuck off with that ecofascism. You want to sacrifice people? Get in line.