Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Definitely. Probably a glorified interior car wash for jacked up pricing.
    Sounds like a regular old detailing given a new name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Is it a social or moral duty that compels us to save those who would die if nature were free to run its course? The coronavirus might act as a population stabiliser. Look at the massive spike in the global population over the last 100 years, it's insane!
    Never mind that birth rates below replacement in western countries suggesting the population will ultimately level off.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Wouldn't that be a Feelionaire?
    roflmao good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I'm going to ask this here because I need to know if this is a local or global issue with COVID-19 and hospitals. As many of you who have read my posts know my wife is a nurse here in Chicago. She handles IV Therapy in an outpatient chemotherapy ward. Today they decided to furlough a portion of the nurses in the ward as they rescheduled chemo treatments due to the sheer number of people in the waiting rooms who could die if infected by the coronavirus. My question here is has anyone else heard about that happening in their respective cities and countries where healthcare workers are being let go instead of moved to staff other more important areas?
    That doesn't make any sense they are sending nurses home who may have been potentially exposed because there is a severe lack of tests but I have not heard anything about letting people go. If anything they have lowered standards because of staffing issues, my brother oversees supply management for hospitals he is working 18-23 hours shifts nearly every day it's all hands on deck.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Is it a social or moral duty that compels us to save those who would die if nature were free to run its course? The coronavirus might act as a population stabiliser. Look at the massive spike in the global population over the last 100 years, it's insane!
    By this logic, you should never bother rescuing people from earthquakes, floods, vulcano eruptions, massive forest fires and the like. After all, it's "nature being free to run its' course", why should you interfere with it?

Not to mention that anyone claiming that millions of people dying might be in any way "stabilizing" should lead by example. Same with people previously claiming that "it's only 1%, gawd, what's the big deal". When juggling those numbers, always assume you might be one of the victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ohh fuck off. Thanos fanboys are insufferable. You don't stabilize human population by killing portions of it off, but by lowering the number of children people have.
    What's "funny" is that they "forget" that doctors/nurses are on the frontline of this pandemic. This isn't just "oh, 1% will die but everything will be fine afterwards". Losing a significant number of medical personnel will affect medical care for other people, cascading into much higher numbers than "only" 1%.
    Last edited by KaPe; 2020-03-28 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    It's not the total amount of dead that is important right now. The real problem is the flooding of ICU's. Because that is happening / bound to happen. A "normal" flu is spread over a larger period.

Over here they expect to flatten the curve in about a week. That means we might hit or exceed our ICU limit. Thank God our German neighbors are willing to take over some of our patients.
    Been paying attention to the numbers worldwide. Germany seems to be handling the pandemic fantastically well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Been paying attention to the numbers worldwide. Germany seems to be handling the pandemic fantastically well so far.
    I'm german and i can tell you we're not. We've been exceptionally lucky until now, but our government has been reacting too little and too late. Looks like our systems are slightly more resilient to this crisis, but let's refrain from judging until all of this is over. The worst is yet to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Italy has 10k dead. Worst case scenario is that 60k die in that country from that fucking virus. That would be 0,1% of italy total population.
    Its fucking awful, still. Everyone of them had a story to share, and that fucking plague robbed us of the opportunity to hear them.
    Humans die every day from hunger, war, disease, accidents etc.
    Most of us don't give a hoot because they're typically in some far away country out of sight.

Suddenly, the same happens on our doorstep and we all panic and cry: "awful!"

While acknowledge that it is a sad thing for people directly involved (victims, next of kin), forgive me if I fail to empathize with that kind of hypocrisy on a global/state level.

This will blow over, we will survive and most of us will go back to being our decadent western selves soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    If "nature were free to run its course" people like you would already have starved. Fuck off with that ecofascism. You want to sacrifice people? Get in line.
    It always amuses me how these types are only really up for other people dying. When it comes to them, or people they care about, their convictions waver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm german and i can tell you we're not. We've been exceptionally lucky until now, but our government has been reacting too little and too late. Looks like our systems are slightly more resilient to this crisis, but let's refrain from judging until all of this is over. The worst is yet to come.
    We only had 1 week of lockdown, it'll be 2 more until we see it's effects.

People tend to be very bad at prioritizing crisis issues. Over a million deaths from car crashes per year. Imagine the type of quarantining that would be pushed if that were a virus instead of a car. I know the response, "cars are necessary". Yes, so is keeping the world running. Society has basically decided that the impact of the world ceasing to use cars would be more detrimental than the deaths from cars.
    I'm not really saying anything about how this all should be handled. Just, barring something crazy happening, people are going to start going out again in a month or 2 if nothing changes.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2020-03-28 at 09:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dormie View Post
    People tend to be very bad at prioritizing crisis issues. Over a million deaths from car crashes per year in the US.
    A million crashes but "only" 35K deaths/annum in the USA due to traffic, if I remember correctly. Corona will surpass that number rather quickly if ICUs are overwhelmed.

Oh yea, that was global, I just went with the little google synopsis. I thought that didn't seem right. Points about the same though.

Oh yea, that was global, I just went with the little google synopsis. I thought that didn't seem right. Points about the same though.
    It's a stupid point though. "People die in car crashes, so let's ignore this pandemic". First, we're doing everything we can to reduce traffic deaths thorugh technology and legislation. Second, it's an unrelated problem, whataboutism at its best, that should not stop us from taking measures. "There's problem B so let's not tackle problem A" has never been a sound argument, ever.

The thread moves so fast I am not sure if you have already noticed that your president is going to actively kill you if you're not nice to him

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/s...69716872253440

Literally quid pro quo with american governors. Either you praise him, or he's not willing to help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    "There's problem B so let's not tackle problem A" has never been a sound argument, ever.
    I think that depends on available resources and the severity of Problem B vs Problem A.
    But in general, you are right. We always should do what we are able to in order to address every problem.

It's a stupid point though. "People die in car crashes, so let's ignore this pandemic". First, we're doing everything we can to reduce traffic deaths thorugh technology and legislation. Second, it's an unrelated problem, whataboutism at its best, that should not stop us from taking measures. "There's problem B so let's not tackle problem A" has never been a sound argument, ever.
    But we could reduce all traffic deaths by not using cars, just like we can drastically reduce deaths by quarantining the world. Both have negatives that are arguably worse than choosing a middle ground.
    And nowhere did I say this should be ignored or that we shouldn't take measures. That's specifically why I said "I'm not really saying anything about how this all should be handled". We should be careful when we're still in the early stages. But once we have a better idea of how things are going to look, "not using cars" becomes less preferable.
    And it's called an analogy, not "whataboutism".
    Last edited by Dormie; 2020-03-28 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The thread moves so fast I am not sure if you have already noticed that your president is going to actively kill you if you're not nice to him

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/s...69716872253440

Literally quid pro quo with american governors. Either you praise him, or he's not willing to help you.
    No it's actually worse than that.

Michigan governor says shipments of medical supplies 'canceled' or 'delayed' and sent to federal government

But we could reduce all traffic deaths by not using cars, just like we can drastically reduce deaths by quarantining the world. Both have negatives that are arguably worse than choosing a middle ground.
    And nowhere did I say this should be ignored or that we shouldn't take measures. That's specifically why I said "I'm not really saying anything about how this all should be handled". We should be careful when we're still in the early stages. But once we have a better idea of how things are going to look, "not using cars" becomes less preferable.
    you're trying to weasel around the argument with your flawed logic. Just come out and say 'muh car deaths more than virus deaths' and stop being a wimp. This is clearly a dogshit argument, its the same one gun nuts use when a bunch of school kids get slaughtered. I've seen it being pushed in right wing circles (dailywire seem to like it).

Analogies are harrrdd.

10+ Year Old Account
    But we could reduce all traffic deaths by not using cars, just like we can drastically reduce deaths by quarantining the world.
    One measure would have to be permanent in order to have any effect, the other is a TEMPORARY action.

You do the math.

- - - Updated - - -

This comes to mind when I observe the U.S.A.:

I seriously wonder how long your people are going to put up with your BS government.