10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I specifically said CCP virus to stick it to the CCP. Not to the Chinese, but their corrupt government that could have avoided all of this if they werent lying their asses off, just to save face. just like the fucking USSR and chernobyl

- - - Updated - - -

Accepting the right to exist for catalonians? sure!
    And while we are here, Let's not pretend that Palestinians are second class citizens, and lets solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict!

- - - Updated - - -

I dont want to stick it to the chinese, but to their corrupt government.
    Sure, the government is complicit. But the culture created the demand for freshly killed exotic animals. I would blame the culture before anything else. And the culture has many adherents.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Sure, the government is complicit. But the culture created the demand for freshly killed exotic animals. I would blame the culture before anything else. And the culture has many adherents.
    Yeah. Let's ban wet markets while we're at it. Worldwide
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

After a couple of days of a downward trend, Australia had a large spike in cases, of 450, by far the highest single day total, taking the total to over 3600. Deaths are up to 16.

However, that isn't as bad as it may seem, as we doubled the number of tests done from 60K to 120K for that day. Per capita, we have tested 815 people per 100K, which is actually even higher than South Korea, and the positive testing rate is 1.8%.

Plus, those numbers have been inflated due to a number of floating petri dishes, I mean cruise liners, being allowed to berth, all of which are carrying numerous cases of covid-19. The only passengers being allowed off are Australians, and ever single one of them is being put in mandatory quarantine, using hotels. They aren't allowed to go home to quarantine. Foreigners aren't being allowed to disembark.

Cruise ships account for 20% of all known covid-19 cases in Australia, and two thirds of all cases are known to have been acquired overseas. The remaining third are from local transmissions or as are yet unknown to their origins.

Removing the latest cruise ship numbers from the total and it looks like we are starting to flatten the curve though we'll have to wait a week or two for the full effect of the lockdowns to become apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Well, I've just been tested positive, twice. The upside is, I get 3 weeks of paid leave. The downside is, no chance to see my family for 21 days. 21 days of isolation, here we go.
    I hope you have a speedy recovery. We're grateful for people like you that look after us.

Good thing to come out of this I guess.

Massive tornado ripped through a chunk of my city today (EF-3 is what they're thinking), hit multiple businesses and homes, only 6 minor injuries though and no deaths and well... weird as it sounds COVID is mostly to blame for that, less people out and about then a usual sat and things that really got hit like a restaurant and best buy weren't allowing people to sit in them. Would have probably been a lot worse without COVID.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Nah, that will just lead to more xenophobia. It already has a name, and it likely spread out of China before even the Chinese doctors knew what it was.

Any government is mostly just using to deflect blame from their own fuckups.
    Meanwhile in your favorite place China:

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont want to stick it to the chinese, but to their corrupt government.
    And random people will certainly know the difference when they're kicking the shit out of Chinese (or, more likely, anyone "vaguely asian") abroad because "it's their fault". We already had a few cases and my country isn't even strongly affected by the virus (yet). Calling it that way only amplifies racism and xenophobia, while accomplishing nothing positive. There's a ton of assholes just looking for a reason to make other people suffer, they'd love the excuse of "well, they brought the virus here! They deserve that!"

If any finger pointing should be done, it's toward people crying "muh economy!" and wanting others to go back to work despite obvious danger. Also, insane postings of "it's only 1%, gawd, what's the big deal?", which also ignore the fact that it's 1% in optimal medical conditions, where healthcare isn't overwhelmed. And it's still millions of people dying. But hey, car accidents and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Since you don't see too many, a per capita chart.
    So who added the big red CHINA DATA SUSPECT thing at the bottom? And did they not understand that if it's going "per million people," the country with 1.4 billion inhabitants might be a little low on the chart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So who added the big red CHINA DATA SUSPECT thing at the bottom? And did they not understand that if it's going "per million people," the country with 1.4 billion inhabitants might be a little low on the chart.
    Not just that. If you go by the ten countries on that chart, the US was in 10th in the list on 3/20. In the course of 1 week it jumped up to 7th. It's almost like he's ignoring the US's climb to the top.

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Bullshit data is bullshit data. The second part of your post is irrelevant. You really believe China got it under control that quickly and cleanly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    No, I didn't know. Never heard anyone mention anything like that about WHO. But it does make sense. What company or organization operating in China isn't bending over backwards?

But I was mainly surprised at how he went with it. He might have just as well have said he was going into a tunnel, it was that obvious. Wouldn't it have been better to simply say that he can't comment on it, or something?
    Just remembered this, but yeah, it's bad enough that even the Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister of Japan called them out on it, calling it the Chinese Health Organization.
    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...352231000.html

China (or more specifically, the CCP) lied over its numbers. And it fucked the response on levels only seen by the USSR and Chernobyl. Now, do i believe that they have the fucking virus mostly under control? Yeah, i do.

Relevant link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...f-virus-s-toll
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    also that chart is already out of date since sadly the us has had 40k new cases in just 2 days.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

This sounds like it will be a lawsuit. A company in Austin, Texas sent out a form to it's employee's that the company will be docking it's employee's pay by 100% of the amount of the stimulus check they get in order to help the company with it's payroll issues.

https://wgno.com/news/health/coronav...us-checks-tmw/

Good? Bad? News: It seems that the CCP virus is more widespread, but less deadly than anticipated.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....23.20041319v1
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:33 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    The culture has been doing this stuff for generations. And they aren't the only culture that does. A lot of Asia does these sorts of things, not just China. As Michael Olefson put it, China's population density creates the perfect storm for viruses carried by wild animals to be transmitted to humans via the way they are stored and handled. The problem is more so with the significant lack of regulation when it comes to food handling and storage, not to mention that many of these markets will be thousands of people deep in terms of people who visit them.

For the Chinese and a lot of Asia, they've developed a resistance to a lot of the things wild animals carry. Unfortunately this virus, much like Lyme disease carried by ticks, is a disease that attacks the immune system in such a way that it forces it to work overtime, crippling or weakening the victims body further. The human body isn't going to respond as well to such an aggressive attack that makes your immune system work harder than it does to fight off the common flu. It starts shutting down eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The culture has been doing this stuff for generations. And they aren't the only culture that does. A lot of Asia does these sorts of things, not just China. As Michael Olefson put it, China's population density creates the perfect storm for viruses carried by wild animals to be transmitted to humans via the way they are stored and handled. The problem is more so with the significant lack of regulation when it comes to food handling and storage, not to mention that many of these markets will be thousands of people deep in terms of people who visit them.

For the Chinese and a lot of Asia, they've developed a resistance to a lot of the things wild animals carry. Unfortunately this virus, much like Lyme disease carried by ticks, is a disease that attacks the immune system in such a way that it forces it to work overtime, crippling or weakening the victims body further. The human body isn't going to respond as well to such an aggressive attack that makes your immune system work harder than it does to fight off the common flu. It starts shutting down eventually.
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    This is assuming it developed naturally and there hasn't been any evidence of that being the case. I think at the end of this China could well be forced into paying for reparations. The states might just solve its debt crisis overnight yet...
    There's evidence that this developed naturally. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...tural-origins/

There's also evidence that the CCP fumbled the response and made a thing that could be relegated to a small snippet of info in wikipedia to the main pages of history

There's evidence that this developed naturally. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...tural-origins/

There's also evidence that the CCP fumbled the response and made a thing that could be relegated to a small snippet of info in wikipedia to the main pages of history
    That article I and struggle to call it that rather then a tabloid has about as much science in it as a flat earthers thesis paper.

One of his counter points is it attacks humans so well it can't be man made....

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Karl View Post
    That article I and struggle to call it that rather then a tabloid has about as much science in it as a flat earthers thesis paper.

One of his counter points is it attacks humans so well it can't be man made....
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...evidence-67229
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

Here you go. It's a corona virus. Of course it attacks humans so well
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-03-29 at 05:59 AM.