10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I bought a bread-maker back around new years, so I've been making bread. But yeast is just as hard to find as flour is.
    Yeast is extremely rare, yes. A co-worker of mine said he went to four stores looking for it. I had a nice stockpile of all that sort of stuff from the days before everyone went crazy.

Not like a hoarding level stockpile, just like 12 packets of yeast. Enough to make bread 6 times, which will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    *laughs in Capitalism* I give you credit, "All" could mean 1 small one or more. But most aren't union, and risk losing their "At will" jobs for "reasons" if they agitate for unionizing.
    This gives them a ton of power, I hope they use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a bread-maker back around new years, so I've been making bread. But yeast is just as hard to find as flour is.
    had that same issue. again, might have to look online for fast acting yeast, which is priced high.

You might be able to make soda bread, if you can get full fat milk and some vinegar or lemons to make buttermilk. of course your need wholemeal flour though..
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    had that same issue. again, might have to look online for fast acting yeast, which is priced high.

You might be able to make soda bread, if you can get full fat milk and some vinegar or lemons to make buttermilk. of course your need wholemeal flour though..
    I mean, I have been looking for a reason to get back into keto, so maybe this is a sign :P

10+ Year Old Account
    @Stelio Kontos You might look at seeing if you can get a small mill for making your own flour at home, if you can get grain. If I recall, my father got into that a while back. Look into it now though, remember what happened with bidets. As they became an alternative to TP, the prices went up and they got harder to get.

For yeast, consider sour dough.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

You could leave a small piece of leavened dough from the last baking uncooked in order to use it as a source of yeast.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    we just passed 3k deaths now.
    I just saw that. I hate Cntrl-R.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol no new cases in china and only 3k deaths.

sureeeeeeeeeee, and toilet paper will be in stock this week in every store...…

if anyone does not think this country had over tens of thousands of deaths to possible hundreds they are insane.
    My hot take: China had at the very least 10x cases and 5-10x deaths. They didnt report them as they were very mild or acted too quickly on the poor body of the host
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    @Stelio Kontos You might look at seeing if you can get a small mill for making your own flour at home, if you can get grain. If I recall, my father got into that a while back. Look into it now though, remember what happened with bidets. As they became an alternative to TP, the prices went up and they got harder to get.

Yeah, I been thinking about that. Grinding grain.

Also, is it just the Anglosphere who's had to deal with the assholes panic-buying everything? I've only heard stories from the US, Australia, Canada, and the UK about idiots buying way more items than they need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    My hot take: China had at the very least 10x cases and 5-10x deaths. They didnt report them as they were very mild or acted too quickly on the poor body of the host
    those videos showing chinese citizens out and about with masks still on claiming its over now.. yeah not buying that bullshit, its so f**king staged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-soda-bread

500g wholemeal flour
    2 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary (optional)
    400ml whole milk
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 tsp honey

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix together the flour, salt and bicarb in a bowl. And if you’d like rosemary bread, add the chopped rosemary too.

Mix together the milk and lemon juice in a jug, and wait for a minute as it magically turns into buttermilk. Then stir in the honey, and simply pour it into the flour mixture. Stir it with a knife for a minute until the whole thing comes together into a sticky dough.

Tip onto a floured work surface and shape it into a ball.

Put the ball on a floured baking tray and, using a sharp knife, make a deep cross on top.

Put in the oven and bake for 40 mins.

Cool on a wire rack until warm, then slice and serve.
    #boycottchina

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/u...gtype=Homepage

Days After a Funeral in a Georgia Town, Coronavirus ‘Hit Like a Bomb’

Dumb fucking morons. I'm getting extremely tired of this shit. Sure, Trump is an abject failure in his response to this mess, but the American people need to wake the fuck up. Theres Jerry fucking Falwell reopening liberty University, some cunt pastor in FL getting arrested for hosting a large religious gathering for his Evangelical know-nothing trashbrain congregation. We need more of this. Start tossing idiots in jail for endangering the public health. Involuntary manslaughter for anyone causing deaths due to not isolating yourself. This garbage is going to go on forever if the scum of this country are allowed to exercise their full freedoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    We had the first positive result for Covid-19 at my work today. In a different building then me, but still, it is only about 300 meters away from the area I work in. Definitely getting close to home now. Already had infections at the home depot near me, and a couple other businesses. And those are just the ones we know about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    Also, is it just the Anglosphere who's had to deal with the assholes panic-buying everything? I've only heard stories from the US, Australia, Canada, and the UK about idiots buying way more items than they need.
    It seems to have been more extreme there. I'll limit myself to what I saw for myself, there were some supply disruptions early on and part of that was because of Spring Festival. They pretty well roll up the sidewalks during the holiday just as a normal thing, so I'd already stocked up for a month right before the holiday started -- I do that every year even though supermarkets do operate on reduced hours. My first shopping trip was February 8, lines were manageable and shelves were stocked. I went shopping yesterday -- better stocking, next to no line, I even picked up a pack of disposable gloves for the inevitable day that I have to face the subway or go to a pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk
    those videos showing chinese citizens out and about with masks still on claiming its over now.. yeah not buying that bullshit, its so f**king staged.
    Again, I'll only address what I see first hand, and without knowing what videos you are watching I certainly wouldn't rule out that they're staged. Even some ordinary videos are probably "staged" because Chinese love to do that with personal videos anyway (and beauty filters are probably involved too).

I went out shopping yesterday at 1400 to dodge crowds. People were wearing masks, that's still expected and we're still in a period when many people would be doing that anyway. AQI is better than the old days, but still running over 100 on official reports, with Beijing AQI reporting around 50 points higher, and while it is nice that the Chinese love spring flowers, pollen is bad and will get worse (because the idiots planted cottonwood). Lots of elderly and kids were out and around in the complex.

The big change was that as soon as my temperature was taken I got waved right on in. OK, they know me on the gate (not like they have a lot of other elderly white guys living here), but usually they'd make a point of me showing the little paper showing I live here, just to keep people from claiming the foreigner was getting special treatment. I didn't see anyone else doing it either, so it seems like the lockdown is easing up.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're up for the challenge you can actually indefinitely grow your own yeast. Was an episode of Good Eats about it (and amusingly placed in a post apocalyptic world cause... reasons). Probably some online guides too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    June 10th here in Virginia.

- - - Updated - - -

TP was in stock in every store in my area this week. Not sure why you think it wouldn't be.
    My distributor had none in stock so my store received none this week(got two 24 pack of 4 rolls last week, which sold out today). Our distributor is also limiting us to only a couple cases of water as well. And from what my customers were saying to me today they had already tried the grocery chain in my town and they had no toilet paper as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Days After a Funeral in a Georgia Town, Coronavirus ‘Hit Like a Bomb’

Dumb fucking morons. I'm getting extremely tired of this shit.
    Hey, I definitely understand the sentiment, but maybe read a bit before going nuclear.

The funeral in question was on 2/29. The first case of COVID-19 wasn't reported in the state until 3/2. Gathering restrictions weren't put in place until 3/23.

So no, these people were not "morons".

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Hey, I definitely understand the sentiment, but maybe read a bit before going nuclear.

The funeral in question was on 2/29. The first case of COVID-19 wasn't reported in the state until 3/2. Gathering restrictions weren't put in place until 3/23.

So no, these people were not "morons".
    yeah. Around this time people are aware that it exists, but not how much its affecting the US yet. I know my family had a mini reunion at the same time. If we had known, we would have postponed it.

Luckily it seems none of us were carriers, as none of us have gotten sick and its been a month.

Australia now has almost 4500 cases and 19 deaths, from 230,000 tests.

The good news is that we are seeing a result from the lockdowns and testing. The growth in numbers have dropped from 25-30% which it had been tracking at for some time, and was till at last week, down to around 9% now. It isn't defeated by any stretch of the imagination but we are trending more towards South Korea/Singapore/Japan than we are towards Europe and the US.

In other news, yesterday the government revealed a massive $130 billion package to subsidise wages over the next 6 months so that people businesses don't have to close and people can still get paid. And this is from a centre-right government as well. All up over the last few weeks the government has committed to spending well over $200 billion, or around 16% of GDP just fighting this pandemic and keeping people employed and paid. It is sadly going to be a huge bill to saddle future generations with but at least they will inherit a functioning economy when this is done with.

There has been talk that they aren't expecting all governments to survive this and that it could lead to problems, such as mass migration and refugees just when we don't need it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Seems to be slowing in Italy, but 20k new cases a day in USA...

There's a scene in the beginning of Breaking Bad when Walter White talks to that guy in the ambulance and says something like "I don't have the greatest insurance, can you just drop me off at the street?" I remember I had to explain it to my guys because our healthcare works differently.

So, I'm asking an ignorant foreigner question to those Americans who actually know: how true to the reality was that scene? And, how many real Americans won't be able to afford treatment for Covid-19? Do you think it will be free / cheap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    June 10th here in Virginia.

TP was in stock in every store in my area this week. Not sure why you think it wouldn't be.
    i call shinannagaaannsss!!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!