10+ Year Old Account
    According to our virologist in charge of the situation here (we are doing decently), masks aren't that important as long as you keep your distance. If you keep your distance, you won't need masks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    According to our virologist in charge of the situation here (we are doing decently), masks aren't that important as long as you keep your distance. If you keep your distance, you won't need masks.
    People cling to masks because it is something tangible, it is something they can actually do and see to make them feel more safe.

Dare to bet some people will get infected by simply using their mask wrong or too long.

- - - Updated - - -

Albert Camus, an Algerian-French philosopher of the past century who wrote the Nobel Prize winning book "The Plague", (which I think is a mandatory read) wrote that the only countermeasure to an epidemic is the trust between state and population that they will do their jobs.

He was right.

- - - Updated - - -

I got sent home from work by the way, I noticed coughing, slimy throat and a headache, which is what I've been getting all my life prior to a flu. I'm already swimming in vitamin C, zinc and paracetamol while also overdosing on honey tea. My temperature is relatively low for now, but I'm monitoring everything, especially lung function.

Any tips from the people who were in a similar situation? Just a note that I've already had a mild case of the flu in January, so getting it again 3 months later is suspicious.
    So long you aren't getting a temperature, severe headaches you'll be fine. I suffered from repository illnesses all my life and had similar symptoms and it was not that.
    A fever appears to be one thing you must have as it is a sign your body is fighting off a virus, same goes for a dry cough.
    Take this all lightly and if you actually worry go call or see a doctor.

Vitamin C and Zinc won't help against the virus but i am guessing you know that. A lot of misinformation out there though regards to "boosting your immune system to protect against covid19" Some real bad even, like working out. Working out is about the last thing you would want to do if you are showing symptoms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I mean, "CFR" is not an obscure term, these days. It's been discussed ITT quite a bit. My point was that it's generally good to do said google searching before making assumptions and shitposting a response.

And the "link" is literally any COVID-19 tracker you want to use. Anything that has cases and deaths.
    I have several questions, one of them being how is the data you've provided calculated?

2.2% CFR for the US without any context of timeframe or numbers used leaves us guessing at best if it's good or bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    On masks: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52126735

I really suggest people start using even makeshift masks, it does reduce the risks. We already have to wear masks outside mandatory here.

I'm sure some numbers exist somewhere, but I feel like most reports only tell confirmed infections, deaths, ect, but knowing what problems the disease causes I'd like to know more of conditions of people who did get the virus but survived.

I have heard of some people who got the virus a while ago and didn't die. Yet, they got pneumonia afterwards and even once that was apperently gone, their lungs are basically broken. What is the portion of people who might suffer long lasting lung damage, possibly for the rest of their lives?

You might live, but what if you are gasping for breath for months afterwards? Never be able to run for long. Be unable to take up stairs? Ect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I'm sure some numbers exist somewhere, but I feel like most reports only tell confirmed infections, deaths, ect, but knowing what problems the disease causes I'd like to know more of conditions of people who did get the virus but survived.

I have heard of some people who got the virus a while ago and didn't die. Yet, they got pneumonia afterwards and even once that was apperently gone, their lungs are basically broken. What is the portion of people who might suffer long lasting lung damage, possibly for the rest of their lives?

You might live, but what if you are gasping for breath for months afterwards? Never be able to run for long. Be unable to take up stairs? Ect.
    I don't think there is enough data yet to make any conclusions on the after-effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...irus-ccp-virus

Finaly some1 with brains made a good petition.

Remember to stick your neck outside and absorb some sunlight like a beautiful sunflower. Also eat/drink some orange juice, I wouldn't want anyone here to die like a pirate boy in the medieval ages

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/h...confusion.html

"Some Coronavirus Patients Show Signs of Brain Ailments

Doctors have observed neurological symptoms, including confusion, stroke and seizures, in a small subset of Covid-19 patients."
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    This is not a good time to be a hypochondriac. I have a mild fever and I'm losing my god damn mind. I went to the market today for like 10 minutes to pick up some groceries and now I'm ready to order a casket and send my friends my funeral playlist.

Just live blogging my hysteria don't mind me.
    I know the feeling. I personally suffer from allergies around this time of the year, so every day is fun fun fun trying to figure out symptoms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deaths are beginning to pile up, 6 more dead just today and it's middle of the day. Total 32 dead for 6211 cases.

Vast majority is 80+, but there were some around 50s too.

Ventilated total number is 83 out of ventilation capacity of 2864:

Estimate is that we will reach 100 ventilated patients by the end of the week.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-04-02 at 10:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Deaths are beginning to pile up, 6 more dead just today
    I don't know, does that already constitute a "pile up"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Albert Camus, an Algerian-French philosopher of the past century who wrote the Nobel Prize winning book "The Plague", (which I think is a mandatory read) wrote that the only countermeasure to an epidemic is the trust between state and population that they will do their jobs.

He was right.
    I guess we are fucked then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't know, does that already constitute a "pile up"?
    Our standards are a bit higher there, ma boi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    You should wonder what the real numbers are -everywhere-.

Apparently the only country using a "full count method" is Belgium, everywhere else is trying to play with the numbers or hide some of the infections...

- - - Updated - - -

This is the third time I read about some american trying to attack / blow up a hospital over the past month...

Do americans have some special hatred against hospitals? Or is this some misplaced anger because they can't afford healthcare?
    conspiracy theories out there that people believe..... people swearing this is all a gov't power grab, test are controlled to show more positives than the are, causes of death changed etc... its crazy.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Our standards are a bit higher there, ma boi.
    Don't worry, we'll drag you down to our level somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Don't worry, we'll drag you down to our level somehow.
    Oh don't worry, we have a bunch of crazies here doing their best to do just that. Every country has its own "heroes".

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Remember to stick your neck outside and absorb some sunlight like a beautiful sunflower. Also eat/drink some orange juice, I wouldn't want anyone here to die like a pirate boy in the medieval ages
    Scurvy was caused by a deficiency of vitamin C not D

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Scurvy was caused by a deficiency of vitamin C not D
    Hence the orange juice, methinks.

------------

My seasonal allergies have started and I was coughing (discreetly, into my shoulder/elbow) yesterday at work and now I've been asked to stay home for the rest of the week or until I go more than 24 hours without "symptoms". No fever or breathing problems or anything--just a tickle in my throat from pollen.

Better safe than sorry, I get it, but given how shorthanded we already were at work I expect the business is going to be crippled if they send home everyone with hayfever at this time of year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Hence the orange juice, methinks.

------------

My seasonal allergies have started and I was coughing (discreetly, into my shoulder/elbow) yesterday at work and now I've been asked to stay home for the rest of the week or until I go more than 24 hours without "symptoms". No fever or breathing problems or anything--just a tickle in my throat from pollen.

Better safe than sorry, I get it, but given how shorthanded we already were at work I expect the business is going to be crippled if they send home everyone with hayfever at this time of year.
    They did the right thing. You think you know you have hay-fever, but you can't know for sure. Better safe than sorry, plus they probably have company policies to follow, they usually don't fuck around with health.