15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Started coughing on Wednesday, it's been gradually getting worse. Headache was today, but I'm attributing that to not sleeping well. Comparing my progression so far with some other case studies colleagues provided I'd say I have a mild progression, even though it's going to get worse. Still, I'm considering myself lucky.
    So basically two or three days ago?

You still have like two more weeks to go. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Long enough to outlast the entire epidemic, all I'm asking for is several years And, while I'm not an expert in medicine I've been told that some "knowledge" how to make the antibodies persists in your body so it's not from scratch when you encounter the same virus next time.
    What I've read is that currently the immunity is quite sure to last some months​ at least, but there is no certainty for it to last longer. None of the experts have been talking about years.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Agree. And a lot of people in Germany will die because of this
    Hyperbole much?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

That's the current assumption based on observation of other Coronavirus strains. So far there was the one case in Japan I'm aware of where a woman was confirmed infected, cleared as pathogen free, and later got brought in with a confirmed infection again. Since this is a singular case so far, I'm assuming human error, dismissed to early. It's to early to say.
    The success rate of tests is also all over the place from some stuff I've read. A 70% chance of the test working could easily explain a false negative leading to early discharge or a false positive after. (I don't recall her being readmitted and having another bout of symptoms, but the story was not followed up on.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Another account I heard, the guy was tested positive before symptoms manifested due to a known infected associate. It took nearly a week to start the symptoms (headache, bodyache, fever, horrible cough) and the symptoms were bad for a few days before starting to get better. So, the "2 weeks" doesn't mean as soon as symptoms start, Skulltaker might be in the middle of it or tail end of it (hopefully!).
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    This... means something right?
    It certainly sounds like it's saying that the virus binds to porphyrin in the blood, then also strips the iron out of your hemoglobin. The iron in hemoglobin is what transports the oxygen in your bloodstream.

It suggests that chloroquine could help keep the iron from being stripped from your hemoglobin, and that favipiravir could help prevent the virus from being able to grab the porphyrin from your cells in the first place.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    A serious case progresses rapidly? Sorry for asking, just curious
    This depends on so many factors, it's hard to tell. If I compare myself to comparable cases (Male, early 40es, no history of lung disease, no previous infection the past weeks,) I can see that I'm progressing at about the same pace, but have fewer symptoms. No fever for example is a good sign. There were cases where infections that usually only last a few days, like Influenza, stretched out weeks. It happens. It's rare, but it happens.

Sorry, really don't want to be tied down with a definite answer, because people tend to pin their hopes on stuff like that.All any doc can ever give you is a probability, based on looking at you and comparing to others in similar conditions. You can have a slowly progressing case that ends fatal, though. Mild ones that progress fast aswell.

The CDC is now recommending people wear non-medical cloth face covering in public like I've been saying for weeks and Asian countries have been doing since the start (and for every flu season going back decades). Now all the experts and bureaucrats can pat themselves on the back for making a "hard call" that saves lives while they ignore their own stubbornness for months that made more people sick than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It certainly sounds like it's saying that the virus binds to porphyrin in the blood, then also strips the iron out of your hemoglobin. The iron in hemoglobin is what transports the oxygen in your bloodstream.

It suggests that chloroquine could help keep the iron from being stripped from your hemoglobin, and that favipiravir could help prevent the virus from being able to grab the porphyrin from your cells in the first place.
    Yeah, now i can get it. That's why some Doctors have been suggesting to treat severe and critical cases as ones of Hypoxemia and not as ARDS, because if the virus stripped out the iron from the haemoglobin, you'd have that.

https://rebelem.com/covid-19-hypoxem...till-safe-way/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The CDC is now recommending people wear non-medical cloth face covering in public like I've been saying for weeks and Asian countries have been doing since the start (and for every flu season going back decades). Now all the experts and bureaucrats can pat themselves on the back for making a "hard call" that saves lives while they ignore their own stubbornness for months that made more people sick than necessary.
    Face coverings work in tandem with social distancing. As @Skulltaker said, it's a probabilities game
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    CDC officials felt "pressured" to draft mask recommendations
    Some public health experts at the US Centers for Disease Control felt "pressured" by the White House to draft recommendations that all Americans wear masks or facial coverings while in public, according to a senior federal health official involved in discussions.

A source told CNN the "CDC was under intense pressure to do this quickly."

"The CDC would not have gone this direction if not for the White House," the senior official told CNN. "We would have tried more to understand about asymptomatic transmission. We would have done more studies if we had more time."

"It was more than we were comfortable with, the source added. "Things were done very fast. It's a credibility risk to the agency. It's not fabulous for credibility. There is a real worry that this will provide a false sense of security to the public. Also, up until now the CDC has been telling people it's okay not to wear a mask, and it's going to be recommended that we do. It runs the risk of confusing the public."
    Also:
    Trump said the recommendations, which came after a week of heated deliberations inside the White House, were voluntary and that he would not partake.

"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

What are you talking about the experts and bureaucrats were sounding the alarm since December. Your beloved Donald Trump ignored them for months calling like the flu that will disappear like magic.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Do you feel sore throat?
    No, throat is fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What I've read is that currently the immunity is quite sure to last some months​ at least, but there is no certainty for it to last longer. None of the experts have been talking about years.
    One and a half, I'd say, yes, plus a few to be safe.

As for immunity, experts simply don't want to be wrong on this, and we don't have any long term observations we could make. It's safe to assume you'll be immune for a while, no one can say of you'll be immune forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The success rate of tests is also all over the place from some stuff I've read. A 70% chance of the test working could easily explain a false negative leading to early discharge or a false positive after. (I don't recall her being readmitted and having another bout of symptoms, but the story was not followed up on.)

Another account I heard, the guy was tested positive before symptoms manifested due to a known infected associate. It took nearly a week to start the symptoms (headache, bodyache, fever, horrible cough) and the symptoms were bad for a few days before starting to get better. So, the "2 weeks" doesn't mean as soon as symptoms start, Skulltaker might be in the middle of it or tail end of it (hopefully!).
    I haven't heard 70%, would you have a link to that?

There is always a margin of error with viral tests, simply because you need a certain threshold for it to register positive. Let's say you shake the hand of someone infected, and some viruses make it over into your system. You're now officially infected! Noone knows this by now, neither you, nor your body, nor anybody else. The virus attacks its targeted cells and starts to reproduce. But even in these early stages, infections develop different from case to case. There has been a suggestion, for example, that one explanation to why some people tend to get off without any symptoms is because they had earlier contracted a different strain of Coronavirus, and the body has some experience identifying and fighting this kind of pathogen.

This might cause delays in the development of the disease, and that might affect testing. Let's say you learn 4 days after you were infected that the person you had contact with is themself infected. Now you get tested. If, so far, your body did a good job fighting, there might simply not be enough viruses to register positive. Someone else who contracted it later developed them faster, so he registers positive.

And thanks for the kind words. I doubt it's the tail, though. Very few cases have symptoms only for a handful of days.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    got any links?

I keep seeing these mental bandit stories..

The Feds in NY siezed a load of PPE heading for MA. 3 million masks. In desperation the MA Gov creates a backchannel to Chinese ambassador to the UN and has the New England Patriots send a jet to pick the PPE up and finally get it to MA hospitals. fucking mad.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

Here is one story.

I'll wait until the administration leads by example...

I haven't heard 70%, would you have a link to that?
    I don't, it was an article on my phone a day or two ago. The article didn't even specify WHICH test (USA test) was the one they referred to or if it was something overall. I mean, early tests were a couple days, followed by couple hours, now some 5 minute tests that may or may not have shipped. So, certainly not gospel by any means, and it wouldn't have to do with the Japanese testing rate anyway. (I heard the Chinese testing was even lower rate, but that was last week's reading.)

This might cause delays in the development of the disease, and that might affect testing. Let's say you learn 4 days after you were infected that the person you had contact with is themself infected. Now you get tested. If, so far, your body did a good job fighting, there might simply not be enough viruses to register positive. Someone else who contracted it later developed them faster, so he registers positive.

And thanks for the kind words. I doubt it's the tail, though. Very few cases have symptoms only for a handful of days.
    I can't even be sure the interviewee was a real case of COVID, but he did suggest laying on the nyquil right off rather than planning for a long haul pacing. "Very few cases" is really hard to judge though, isn't it? Most of the light cases are "go home and self quarentine", so probably not tracked very well for actual symptoms I'd think. His symptoms lasted like 7+ days, but there was a definite progression, peak, then recovery with the peak only being a few days of that 7+.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Trump Touted Abbott’s Quick COVID-19 Test. HHS Document Shows Only 5,500 Are On Way For Entire U.S.

“We can confirm that the federal government is looking to make the initial purchase of a rapid point-of-care test to increase COVID-19 testing capacity in the United States,” she said. “Initially, each state will receive 15 point-of-care instruments, and then they will be able to resupply through the commercial market.”

Accuracy has been a broad problem in the testing for the novel coronavirus. Abbott Labs declined to address specifics on the clinical accuracy of its tests, which was fast-tracked through the Food and Drug Administration’s review process, saying that accuracy data and other performance characteristics will continue to be collected in the field.

State officials are scrambling to obtain Abbott’s highly touted machines after it said they could detect the novel coronavirus in as little as five minutes, or give a negative test result in about 13 minutes. That compares with at least 45 minutes to several days to get results from most of the other types of COVID-19 tests being used.

Since early February, the FDA has granted roughly two dozen emergency authorizations for clinical tests to detect the virus. The tests were developed by governments ― including the CDC and the New York state public health lab — and multiple private companies such as LabCorp, Quest Diagnostics, Roche Diagnostics and Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Yet providers have reported rampant problems with COVID-19 tests giving false negatives, in which the virus is not detected even in an infected person.

Few medical tests are 100% accurate. Any test can have false negatives or false positives. The problem isn’t unique to COVID-19 tests.

Reasons for this can vary. The test itself might not be so good at picking out true cases from false ones. Or maybe it wasn’t the test at all, but how the sample was taken or how long it had been since the patient began showing symptoms. Doctors and patients should always consider that a result might not be accurate.

That may be especially true now because the COVID-19 test kits from manufacturers and clinical labs became available under emergency use rules.

Under those rules, manufacturers and labs have to submit documentation to the FDA but don’t have to provide as much information as they would under a regular approval process.

By relaxing some of the other information normally required, such as correlating results with the status of actual patients, the test kits could get onto the market sooner. And that’s the trade-off.

“This is the downside to loosening the FDA restrictions in that the tests weren’t required to go through the same level of quality assurance, the testing of the test, that we would normally see before they go on the market,” said Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer at the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. “But I don’t think that was a bad decision. This is an emergency.”

10+ Year Old Account
    US is reportedly up to over +1300 today. New York alone has topped +600.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

7+ Year Old Account
    Face masks do shit compared to social distancing. And do even less compare to hand washing.

Face masks are a show, like the tsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I don't, it was an article on my phone a day or two ago. The article didn't even specify WHICH test (USA test) was the one they referred to or if it was something overall. I mean, early tests were a couple days, followed by couple hours, now some 5 minute tests that may or may not have shipped. So, certainly not gospel by any means, and it wouldn't have to do with the Japanese testing rate anyway. (I heard the Chinese testing was even lower rate, but that was last week's reading.)

I can't even be sure the interviewee was a real case of COVID, but he did suggest laying on the nyquil right off rather than planning for a long haul pacing. "Very few cases" is really hard to judge though, isn't it? Most of the light cases are "go home and self quarentine", so probably not tracked very well for actual symptoms I'd think. His symptoms lasted like 7+ days, but there was a definite progression, peak, then recovery with the peak only being a few days of that 7+.
    I'll see if I can find something, sounds worth looking into.

As for 'just a few days'
    No, I was talking of tracked cases, should have been clearer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Face masks do shit compared to social distancing. And do even less compare to hand washing.

Face masks are a show, like the tsa.
    If they can reduce infections by 5% that means delayed infection for potentially millions of people, further relieving the health care system. Masks alone do shit, and yes, compared to proper hygiene and distance, their impact is low, but they do help. And every bit counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I
    If they can reduce infections by 5% that means delayed infection for potentially millions of people, further relieving the health care system. Masks alone do shit, and yes, compared to proper hygiene and distance, their impact is low, but they do help. And every bit counts.
    I think the salient point raised by just about every virologist is just how much attendant overconfidence would occur, leading some people to believe that it's now "safe" for them to ignore the physical distancing guidelines because they're wearing a cloth mask (not even a surgical mask, let alone a respirator).

The worry is that it'll more than offset that 5%.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I think the salient point raised by just about every virologist is just how much attendant overconfidence would occur, leading some people to believe that it's now "safe" for them to ignore the physical distancing guidelines because they're wearing a cloth mask (not even a surgical mask, let alone a respirator).

The worry is that it'll more than offset that 5%.
    Yeah. Masks alone do little. Masks and social distancing, using gloves and washing hands regularly do a fuckton
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

A few days ago, Brian Kemp finally issued a state-wide shelter in place order for the state of Georgia. This was good news for upping the protection for counties that had so far refused to enact their own, but it turns out, like everything Brian Kemp does, it's a shitshow in disguise. The Q&A for Georgia's shelter in place.

The order rescinds shelter-in-place orders at the local levels and allows only the state level order, and only state police can enforce such orders. However, the order is far more broad than what was being enforced at the local levels (or less broad depending on your point of view); for example, Savannah had closed the beaches, but this order opens them back up. Businesses that are non-essential are also free to open again so long as they obey maximum gathering limits and social distancing rules. There's a very specific list of about 10 types of businesses that have to close down (gyms, theaters, barbers...).

Sorry we're such an embarrassment to the rest of the country.
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2020-04-03 at 11:57 PM.