10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Yeah. Masks alone do little. Masks and social distancing, using gloves and washing hands regularly do a fuckton
    It'll be fucked up by the "I have a mask, I'm INVINCASTOPPABLE!" idiots. They'll stop social distancing and flounce around like a newly engaged woman. "LOOK AT MY MASK! isn't it so safe and MASK. Hmm, you don't have MASK. I'm gonna show you how close I can come. Why?.....mask."

Personally I just ordered a plague doctor mask on Amazon. I'm wearing that fucker to the store the day it arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    It'll be fucked up by the "I have a mask, I'm INVINCASTOPPABLE!" idiots. They'll stop social distancing and flounce around like a newly engaged woman. "LOOK AT MY MASK! isn't it so safe and MASK. Hmm, you don't have MASK. I'm gonna show you how close I can come. Why?.....mask."

Personally I just ordered a plague doctor mask on Amazon. I'm wearing that fucker to the store the day it arrives.
    Dude, i will make one. Thx for the idea
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

As virus takes hold, resistance to stay-at-home orders remains widespread — exposing political and social rifts

Kay Ivey, the Republican governor of Alabama, put down a marker last week in affirming that it was “not the time to order people to shelter in place.”

“Y’all, we are not Louisiana, we are not New York state, we are not California,” she said, suggesting that the fate of hard-hit parts of the country would not be shared by Alabama.

In Missouri, Republican Gov. Mike Parson said he was not inclined to “make a blanket policy,” adding, “It’s going to come down to individual responsibilities.”

And in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order this week under growing pressure as his state’s death toll mounted, a Tampa-area megachurch pastor who was arrested for holding services in violation of a local order announced Thursday he was considering reopening the church in time for Easter and is “praying and seeking the Lord for wisdom.”

“I will say, however, that the church cannot be closed indefinitely,” the Rev. Rodney Howard-Browne wrote on his website. “We believe that there are less restrictive means available to balance all the various interests.”

Experts are now warning that a group of governors in the South and the Great Plains — largely Republican-led states — risk acting too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, trump, sit down and shut up... jesus...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    If he can't do two things at once he can also just remain standing and shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Doesn't the Atlanta airport have the highest amount of traffic in the world?
    Yes, its the worlds busiest airport because its a hub.

So most of these late to shut down states are offering exemptions for religious gathering? Basically nullifying any potential positive results of the shut down in the first place.

Just saw someone on CNN say she's been dowsed in Jesus' blood so she's immune to the disease.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    It doesn't change the outcome of the data. This continues to be a bizarre gripe.
    Weren't you just "griping" about it yourself? Now it's ok since you are doing it?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

He's kinda growing on me. I know that's super controversial and literally Hitler and all that to some people, but he's kind of entertaining while still being serious, and all at the same time I feel like professional people are advising and being listened to.

I think it's fine. Again, this will likely be outrageous, but it really shouldn't be.

He's kinda growing on me. I know that's super controversial and literally Hitler and all that to some people, but he's kind of entertaining while still being serious, and all at the same time I feel like professional people are advising and being listened to.

I think it's fine. Again, this will likely be outrageous, but it really shouldn't be.
    That's a lie, you've always been a Trump supporter. I'm not sure how he could grow on you any more than he already has.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-04-04 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to brief google, apparently 54% O2 Sat is seriously dangerous... wot.
    Yeah. According to conventional knowledge, she should be unconscious at that level and needs to be put on a ventilator. Yet she's awake, alert, and on her phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Some more info:

"COVID-19: Attacks the 1-Beta Chain of Hemoglobin and Captures the Porphyrin to Inhibit Human Heme Metabolism"

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/COVID-...hyrin/11938173

This... means something right?
    That sounds related to some stuff I linked upthread. If this virus is messing with hemoglobin, that may help explain pulse oximetry giving weird results.

https://rebelem.com/covid-19-hypoxem...till-safe-way/

https://twitter.com/EricLeeMD/status...54768185303041

There also seems to be some weirdness regarding blood types.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v2
    Last edited by Masark; 2020-04-04 at 01:57 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yeah. According to conventional knowledge, she should be unconscious at that level and needs to be put on a ventilator. Yet she's awake, alert, and on her phone.

That sounds related to some stuff I linked upthread. If this virus is messing with hemoglobin, that may help explain pulse oximetry giving weird results.

https://rebelem.com/covid-19-hypoxem...till-safe-way/

https://twitter.com/EricLeeMD/status...54768185303041

There also seems to be some weirdness regarding blood types.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....11.20031096v2
    It may also mean that using ventilators is not the best idea for critical patients... or shall i say, not the most optimal. This may mean that there's a possible better treatment for them.

Update: ON THE COVID-19 EPIDEMIC IN MARSEILLE

(English translation from french) At the IHU Méditerranée Infection in Marseille, we have carried out 54,957 tests (29,613 patients) since the start of the COVID epidemic. Among those tested, 20,987 people were residents of Marseille. This means that 2.5% of the Marseille population has been screened since the start of the epidemic.

The Marseillais are therefore, by far, the population that has been the most tested in the world, much more than what has been reported in South Korea or Italy where currently, the number of samples has increased very dramatically.

In addition, among the 20,987 Marseillais tested, nearly 3,486 carried the virus, a rate of 16.6% positive.

This shows the usefulness of this screening. We tested Marseillais from all the boroughs in an equivalent manner, who have roughly comparable positivity rates. The number of deaths currently among patients living in Marseille is 26, representing a mortality of 0.7% per COVID in positive patients and 30 deaths per million inhabitants.
    https://www.mediterranee-infection.c...rrXKqSmd8zyLcg

Now, a question: How strong has been the selective pressure for this virus these past weeks/months?
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2020-04-04 at 02:43 AM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Just to reinforce a potential point; Can you get re-infected after recovering from COVID-19?

There remains a lot of uncertainty, but experts TIME spoke with say that it’s likely the reports of patients who seemed to have recovered but then tested positive again were examples of re-infection, but were cases where lingering infection was not detected by tests for a period of time.

Experts say the body’s antibody response, triggered by the onset of a virus, means it is unlikely that patients who have recovered from COVID-19 can get re-infected so soon after contracting the virus. Antibodies are normally produced in a patient’s body around seven to 10 days after the initial onset of a virus, says Vineet Menachery, a virologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch.

Instead, testing positive after recovery could just mean the tests resulted in a false negative and that the patient is still infected. “It may be because of the quality of the specimen that they took and may be because the test was not so sensitive,” explains David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who also studied the 2002-2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which is caused by a coronavirus in the same family as SARS-CoV-2.

A positive test after recovery could also be detecting the residual viral RNA that has remained in the body, but not in high enough amounts to cause disease, says Menachery. “Viral RNA can last a long time even after the actual virus has been stopped.”

There hasn’t been enough time to research COVID-19 in order to determine whether patients who recover from COVID-19 are immune to the disease—and if so, how long the immunity will last. However, preliminary studies provide some clues. For example, one study conducted by Chinese researchers (which has not yet been peer-reviewed) found that antibodies in rhesus monkeys kept primates that had recovered from COVID-19 from becoming infected again upon exposure to the virus.

One study conducted by Taiwanese researchers found that survivors of the SARS outbreak in 2003 had antibodies that lasted for up to three years—suggesting immunity. Hui notes that survivors of Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS, which is also caused by a virus related to the one that causes COVID-19) were found to last just around a year.

Menachery estimates that COVID-19 antibodies will remain in a patient’s system for “two to three years,” based on what’s known about other coronaviruses, but he says it’s too early to know for certain. The degree of immunity could also differ from person to person depending on the strength of the patient’s antibody response. Younger, healthier people will likely generate a more robust antibody response, giving them more protection against the virus in future.

“We would expect that if you have antibodies that neutralize the virus, you will have immunity,” Menachery says. “How long the antibodies last is still in question.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    As virus takes hold, resistance to stay-at-home orders remains widespread — exposing political and social rifts

Kay Ivey, the Republican governor of Alabama, put down a marker last week in affirming that it was “not the time to order people to shelter in place.”

“Y’all, we are not Louisiana, we are not New York state, we are not California,” she said, suggesting that the fate of hard-hit parts of the country would not be shared by Alabama.

In Missouri, Republican Gov. Mike Parson said he was not inclined to “make a blanket policy,” adding, “It’s going to come down to individual responsibilities.”

And in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order this week under growing pressure as his state’s death toll mounted, a Tampa-area megachurch pastor who was arrested for holding services in violation of a local order announced Thursday he was considering reopening the church in time for Easter and is “praying and seeking the Lord for wisdom.”

“I will say, however, that the church cannot be closed indefinitely,” the Rev. Rodney Howard-Browne wrote on his website. “We believe that there are less restrictive means available to balance all the various interests.”

Experts are now warning that a group of governors in the South and the Great Plains — largely Republican-led states — risk acting too late.
    Missouri might end up coming up out of it ok. According to the MSN coronavirus tracker, if you drill down to the state level and choose Missouri, they show that a lot of Missouri counties have zero cases, and many counties have just 1 or 2.

Alabama and Mississippi are going to have troubles. They both have between 1 and 2 thousand cases, but these cases are fairly evenly distributed over the whole state. Only 4 Mississippi counties have zero confirmed cases, and Alabama has only 2 counties with zero confirmed cases. Most counties in both states are past the point of having just 1-4 confirmed cases. The good news for both states is that virus growth will be slow due to each county being fairly sparsely populated. The downside is that it is likely that getting back to zero will also be slow. My prediction is that they will max out later than other parts of the country, and will also recover later. With their governors working hard to maximize the growth of the virus, it is possible that all three of these states will end up coming out of it not well.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-04-04 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    So most of these late to shut down states are offering exemptions for religious gathering? Basically nullifying any potential positive results of the shut down in the first place.

Just saw someone on CNN say she's been dowsed in Jesus' blood so she's immune to the disease.
    We still got 10 states doing nothing but yea churches and religious gatherings are essential but abortion clinics are deemed non essential.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Missouri might end up coming up out of it ok. According to the MSN coronavirus tracker, if you drill down to the state level and choose Missouri, they show that a lot of Missouri counties have zero cases, and many counties have just 1 or 2.

Alabama and Mississippi are going to have troubles. They both have between 1 and 2 thousand cases, but these cases are fairly evenly distributed over the whole state. Only 4 Mississippi counties have zero confirmed cases, and Alabama has only 2 counties with zero confirmed cases. Most counties in both states are past the point of having just 1-4 confirmed cases. The good news for both states is that virus growth will be slow due to each county being fairly sparsely populated. The downside is that it is likely that getting back to zero will also be slow. My prediction is that they will max out later than other parts of the country, and will also recover later. With their governors working hard to maximize the growth of the virus, it is possible that all three of these states will end up coming out of it not well.
    I would take whatever data coming out of any red state with a grain of salt they are fighting their stay at home order and really lagging in testing. The population of these states is not taking the virus seriously for example health officials are losing battles to close regular retail stores. It's basically the wild west in the red states not sure how many people have to die before they take this thing seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    We still got 10 states doing nothing but yea churches and religious gatherings are essential but abortion clinics are deemed non essential.

- - - Updated - - -

I would take whatever data coming out of any red state with a grain of salt they are fighting their stay at home order and really lagging in testing. The population of these states is not taking the virus seriously for example health officials are losing battles to close regular retail stores. It's basically the wild west in the red states not sure how many people have to die before they take this thing seriously.
    Yeah, Texas, Mississippi, Ohio etc used Corona as a convenient excuse to ban abortion as non essential several weeks ago, but are just now closing up their states today, when not really closing their states at all, because people still gotta go to church. Gonna leave that there cause probably going into forbidden topics now, but still disgusting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    True. And I suspect that the places that DO get surges will be mostly unprepared to deal with it.

Not surprising that you, the forum's polite villain, find Trump who is a murderer by all available standards, growing on you.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2020-04-04 at 07:49 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post

Number of cases is irrelevant data without providing number of tests ran to compare against. Most of the areas with the most cases, are simply because they are the areas doing the most testing. Look at houston ffs, literally hundreds of people being treated for it before they could even get tested.

No matter what you see the orange dumb shit talk about every day, no the US is not testing enough or getting results fast enough. NY is, and a handful of other areas- hell NY by itself is literally carrying our per capita testing metrics without them it would be an absolute joke.