The society collapse will make this "pandemic" a complete joke. What a brilliant idea to stop working all at once, people won't need to eat or pay rents at all.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryDD View Post
    The society collapse will make this "pandemic" a complete joke. What a brilliant idea to stop working all at once, people won't need to eat or pay rents at all.
    I wonder if that is why we gave unemployment to those that lost jobs due to covid-19. NAh..... That can't be the reason......
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryDD View Post
    So... ask your government to help you fill the gap? So fucking bizarre that people have the mentality of "why won't they help us kill ourselves" instead of "why won't they help us survive."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    So... ask your government to help you fill the gap? So fucking bizarre that people have the mentality of "why won't they help us kill ourselves" instead of "why won't they help us survive."
    To paraphrase Kushner... those supplies are not for us.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    I'm not African-American.

You already know.
    you may not have a choice.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You are correct, I'm not from the US.

Doesn't change that if you enter government building masked, openly carrying a rifle and not clearly displaying a badge identifying you as a law enforcement official, you should be rightly shot dead on the spot. And if not shot dead right then and there, charged with attempted terrorist attack, and forever lose your ability to purchase and possess any kind of firearm.
    I don't know about shot dead, but you should at least be stopped by security. I don't even know how these guys got in. I suppose my only experiences with US capitol buildings have been in Nebraska and Georgia, but both had more security than a US airport. You can't carry a pair of plastic scissors into those buildings, and certainly not a gun.

10+ Year Old Account

Doesn't change that if you enter government building masked, openly carrying a rifle and not clearly displaying a badge identifying you as a law enforcement official, you should be rightly shot dead on the spot. And if not shot dead right then and there, charged with attempted terrorist attack, and forever lose your ability to purchase and possess any kind of firearm.
    Nothing happened to the masked caucasian people carrying firearms screaming at police and government officials? Sounds about ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I refuse to believe you're American.
    You're certainly not thinking things through if you think adding to the death toll and escalating social unrest is an "acceptable" course of action in a region where the governor is already having a problem keeping control of the population.
    it's called martial law.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Sorry, I will not be taking the coronavirus vaccine.
    They want to inject you with 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    A recent Stanford University antibody study found https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...463v1.full.pdf here estimated the fatality rate from the virus is likely 0.1% to 0.2%.

In New York City, the U.S. epicenter of the pandemic, the death rate for people 18 to 45 years old is 0.01%, or 10 per 100,000 in the population. People aged 75 and older, though, have a death rate 80 times that. For children under 18, the rate of death is zero per 100,000.
    0.1% to 0.2% is like flu, that's probably a little optimistic. By now it is clear that most of the world severely overreacted though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What's going on in Sweden, in video format:

Wow, the alt-right balkan Swede showed up
    I remember this guy being linked years ago during the migrant crisis where he made videos about how Swedes are soy and let migrants rape Swedish women and take over the country.

I'm gonna check his take on the virus now, should be interesting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Wow, the alt-right balkan Swede showed up
    I remember this guy being linked years ago during the migrant crisis where he made videos about how Swedes are soy and let migrants rape Swedish women and take over the country.

I'm gonna check his take on the virus now, should be interesting.
    I know who he is, doesn't change the situation over there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account

yeastherday data.

No.
    This is why I never accept arguments from those that don't live here regarding American society. Because you just don't understand and you never will.
    First and foremost...de-escalation. You have an armed population, some of which are likely in favor of the protesters, and that includes the very police that you fantasize will blindly follow orders. Think again. If I recall there are whole regions where law enforcement has refused to enforce lockdowns. And I'm certain this has in part played into decisions to reopen parts of many states. (And I'm looking at PA as another fine example) Politicians need to encourage the thought that everything is going accordingly...and it's all under control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it's called martial law.
    And it won't ever happen.
    So get that out of your head.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    0.1% to 0.2% is like flu, that's probably a little optimistic. By now it is clear that most of the world severely overreacted though.
    The study (or studies, really) that he's talking about is not a good study. There are better studies being done, and because they're not awful, we won't have results from those until later in the year.

But that study, and another like it headed by the same author, has been criticized by most folks in the field for how poorly it was designed. Namely, it claims to be looking at a random sampling of data, but instead it tested people who already had reason to believe they had coronavirus, by virtue of advertising their study as a means to get tested in a test-starved area. So it's not giving us an idea of how many people have the virus; it's giving us an idea of how many people think they have the virus and are correct, which is a completely different statistic, and using those numbers to make assumptions about the larger population. Then, after making that simple mistake in sample selection, they rely wholly on antibody testing - but antibody testing is not reliable for this virus yet. It was only in the first week of April that we developed antibody tests that we think are reliable, and these samples were taken long before that. It's just bad science.

Of course, bad science is the favorite science of science deniers.

You literally quoted me saying their numbers are optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Opening schools is the worst thing any country can do until a vaccine or treatment is available any parent will tell you they are like cruise ships on steroids once you open them cases will explode.
    Perhaps parents will tell you that, but people who study epidemics think that school closures are both ineffective (updated data from Imperial College is that they perhaps decrease R by 0.05 - less than most other measures) - and problematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Opening schools is the worst thing any country can do until a vaccine or treatment is available any parent will tell you they are like cruise ships on steroids once you open them cases will explode.
    The thing is, you can't keep them closed for months and years to come.

I mean, what do you propose? Let's say vaccine will be ready and available early next year, what then? Whole year without school? Where will kids be while parents are working?

We will have to take these risks, slowly and surely things will open up, because this situation is untenable. It's good we did lockdowns and restriction and I bet we will have varying degrees of these restrictions for a whole year, but at some point you just can't keep this up like that. You can't have schools closed for a year.

I mean, this all depends on the situation, but really now - we're a country of 9 million and so far we had 227 dead total for 16k identified cases and we're nowhere near collapsing here or what not. At this point yes, it's time for some cruel math - how many will potentially die if X reopens. Can't keep everything under lock and key if stakes are not high enough yet.

Nobody's gonna go full Sweden here, but this can't continue like this either.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-05-02 at 04:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Perhaps parents will tell you that, but people who study epidemics think that school closures are both ineffective (updated data from Imperial College is that they perhaps decrease R by 0.05 - less than most other measures) - and problematic.
    Unless i am mistake unlike the flu what was used initially as an example to form policies and measures around is that corona virus is not really as easily carried by younger kids to the point experts are saying it might be okay to let small kids back with their grand parents as they are not the carriers they expected them to be.

A large problem with schools being closed though is lack of daycare for working parents, the added stress parents get from trying to juggle their daily tasks and help them with their school work, as here despite schools being closed they still get assignments online.

The biggest issue is probably no final exams considering the school year is almost at its end and how that is going to be tackled. Can't let everyone just pass that year or flunk them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No.
    This is why I never accept arguments from those that don't live here regarding American society. Because you just don't understand and you never will.
    First and foremost...de-escalation. You have an armed population, some of which are likely in favor of the protesters, and that includes the very police that you fantasize will blindly follow orders. Think again. If I recall there are whole regions where law enforcement has refused to enforce lockdowns. And I'm certain this has in part played into decisions to reopen parts of many states. (And I'm looking at PA as another fine example) Politicians need to encourage the thought that everything is going accordingly...and it's all under control.

- - - Updated - - -

And it won't ever happen.
    So get that out of your head.
    keep telling yourself that. if the government deems it necessary nothing you can do will stop it. the military is trained to follow orders from their commanders. the police generally aren't. they are given a set of laws to enforce and do so.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2020-05-02 at 05:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Shit, i can't believe this mess, my country is over-reporting cases. They corrected the numbers today, and the result is less 200 cases then yeastherday. So, we won't know how many new cases we had today, because the official report doesn't despict that information .

EDIT:
    Computer bug, lol, my bad .
    Data already corrected at worldometers, this was what happened

https://sicnoticias.pt/especiais/cor...pos-duplicacao
    Google translated
    761/5000
    Another 16 deaths from Covid-19 in Portugal. Total infected infected after duplication

The Directorate-General for Health (DGS) announced this Saturday the existence of 1,023 deaths and 25,190 cases of Covid-19 in Portugal.

The total number of infected people was corrected after 422 cases recorded in the North since 25 April have been doubled, explained the Minister of Health.

The number of deaths rose, from yesterday to today, from 1,007 to 1,023, plus 16 - an increase of 1.5%.

The number of infected is 25,190. In Friday's bulletin 25,351 cases were confirmed, an information now corrected.

The number of recovered cases rose from 1,647 to 1,671, 24 more than yesterday.

There are 855 inpatients, 150 are in Intensive Care Units.
    Bonus News
    Today the state of emergency ends in Portugal

After 45 days, the country moves from a state of emergency - which ends this Saturday - to a state of calamity. The Government has insisted that the measures of confinement and social distance should continue so that the evolution of the outbreak of the new coronavirus in Portugal is as favorable as possible.