The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    No, wrong. You're comparing apples to oranges. The stat used in the fact check was the justifiable homicide state reported in the FBI's UCR yearly series. And those rates have remained steady for a while.

I'm not saying these numbers are all-inclusive, but they do suggest a fairly consistent rate throughout.

Year JH US pop Rate
    2018 410 326.69 12.6
    2017 443 324.99 13.6
    2016 439 322.94 13.6
    2015 452 320.64 14.1
    2014 450 318.3 14.1
    2013 461 315.99 14.6
    2012 426 313.83 13.6
    2011 404 311.56 13
    2010 397 309.32 12.8
    2009 414 306.77 13.5
    2008 371 304.09 12.2
    2007 398 301.23 13.2
    2006 386 298.38 12.9
    2005 347 295.52 11.7
    2004 367 292.81 12.5
    2003 373 290.11 12.9
    2002 341 287.63 11.9
    2001 378 284.97 13.3
    2000 309 282.16 11
    1999 308 279.04 11
    1998 369 275.85 13.4
    1997 366 272.65 13.4
    1996 357 269.39 13.3
    1995 389 266.28 14.6
    No, He replied to someone talking about all police deaths with his "justifiable homicide stat" I even said I'm not saying it's wrong, but total police killings is a much higher number.

Didn't notice the thread... last time I reply about this in this thread as it's off topic...
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    We know they have more. How is it relevant though? Are we going to fixate on "hurr durr China lying?" We know they lie. It's par for the course.
    Agreed, we know that both USA and China have more infected than the confirmed cases (exactly how many is less clear).

And everything indicates that China got it under control pretty quickly - we don't hear about Chinese celebrities suddenly getting ill and disappearing (well, not more than usual) as we do in the west, and people with friends in China don't report anything odd.

There's a difference between western "lockdowns" and Chinese lockdown where only one person per household is allowed to leave the apartment every third day. (I don't know how accurate the stories about welding the doors locked are.)

That doesn't mean that all of the Asia will be fine, as there is also Indian-style lockdown: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/30/a...hnk/index.html which allegedly have caused 700+ deaths so far https://thejeshgn.com/projects/covid...-virus-deaths/
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-05-31 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Because very harsh lockdowns do work, if you don't believe China, just look at other countries where they work. Vietnam for example.
    There is yet another explanation, China didn't got the same virus strain we did, the one they got was suposely less infectious, so, it spread slower. The virus we got, seems to have mutated in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    There is yet another explanation, China didn't got the same virus strain we did, the one they got was suposely less infectious, so, it spread slower. The virus we got, seems to have mutated in Italy.
    Doubtful.

Both the L and S-strains existed in China as reported earlier in this study - where the L-strain in Italy is the "more aggressive":
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance...waa036/5775463

After looking at 103 samples they could classify them in two groups, L (70%) and S (30%), where S is the older, but L was first spreading more in Wuhan and now less. They think that might be because L was more "aggressive" and reproducing more, and thus was detected more and therefore spread less(!) since it was noticed, while S flew under the rader; but further studies are needed - and WHO hasn't confirmed it.

And anyway it doesn't seem that the difference impacts the virus-surface, so it seems unlikely to influence vaccine and possible re-infections.

The L-variant has then split into 3 or more large sub-variants: https://nextstrain.org/ncov?c=gt-ORF8_84
    It could also just be chance and that one person with the L-variant travelled to Italy and then that spread to most of Europe (whereas the US got both variants).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Doubtful.

Both the L and S-strains existed in China as reported earlier in this study - where the L-strain in Italy is the "more aggressive":
    And as far as I remember, there was no specific indication that one variant was more contagious than another, merely more prevalent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    No, He replied to someone talking about all police deaths with his "justifiable homicide stat" I even said I'm not saying it's wrong, but total police killings is a much higher number.
    I was specifically taking exception to the use of this phrase:
    more recent numbers shows much higher rates
    ...which is not the same as saying that the numbers he posted weren't all-inclusive.

If the proportionally smaller rate is staying the same, it indicates that the larger, all-inclusive rate is likely staying the same, as well.

Didn't notice the thread... last time I reply about this in this thread as it's off topic...
    Sure, I just don't like leaving wrong statements to stand unchecked.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Because very harsh lockdowns do work, if you don't believe China, just look at other countries where they work. Vietnam for example.
    What lockdown? The 4 week late one?
    Rest of the countries had time to make an efficient lockdown. China delayed the shit out of it and only 84.000 infected?
    No, I don't believe China.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    I don't even...

You seem to be living in some shithole where everything is done manually, like in stone age, not realising that some modern countries all move to contactless methods to do pretty much everything. That might explain why those images seem weird to you.

I live in a country where pretty much everything is digital. I can use my ID to sign documents, do banking, buy stuff, pay taxes and so on without ever talking to someone. There is also mobile ID option, which makes it possible to just use phone for everything without ID card reader. The only time I use cash is to pay my car mechanic.

China is even further ahead of everyone in that regard, where you can do everything with a phone. They pioneer contactless stuff, which helps a lot with containing virus.

Welcome to new digital world. If you think it is a bad thing, you are hopelessly stuck in the past.
    because its not like technology is hackable or anything...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    USA has 1.7mil infected.
    How does China have 84.000?

I don't buy the locked cities bullshit. Considering how much they tried to cover it, it should've spread like a plague in Wuhan at least. Chinese families are way more packed, living together compared to western families. But it also did spread to other cities as well.
    So HOW does China have 84.000 infected?
    actually that's 1.8 million CASES not infected. the number of active cases is just under 1.2million. we all know china isn't providing accurate numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    in a land of almost 2 billion they only have 84k cases....i smell bullshit.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I finally found a barber that is open today, was a bit sketchy that all barbers should be closed. I haven't cut my hair for like 5 month...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    I finally found a barber that is open today, was a bit sketchy that all barbers should be closed. I haven't cut my hair for like 5 month...
    Did the barber wear the protection? I went to one myself few days ago and they had lots of protection equipment.

Cut hair also went to the toxic bin (like one in hospitals), so they are realy serios there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Did the barber wear the protection? I went to one myself few days ago and they had lots of protection equipment.

Cut hair also went to the toxic bin (like one in hospitals), so they are realy serios there.
    Why would they put it in a toxic bin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Why would they put it in a toxic bin?
    For the same reason the most absorbent tampons in the world are Cherokee Hair Tampons.

Because hair absorbs moisture, and moisture + decaying organic material is a biohazard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    What lockdown? The 4 week late one?
    Rest of the countries had time to make an efficient lockdown.
    What matters is whether other countries implemented more efficient lockdowns when needed (which they mostly didn't), not whether they would have time to do it.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-06-01 at 07:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So just 2 and a half more hours and bars and restaurants will reopen here. Since the weather is beautiful I suppose the terraces will be flooded.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    For the same reason the most absorbent tampons in the world are Cherokee Hair Tampons.

Because hair absorbs moisture, and moisture + decaying organic material is a biohazard.
    Wait really?(to the former sentence)

I do know about the latter sentence, but I guess I learn something new everyday.

Edit: oh, it's a South Park reference.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    So just 2 and a half more hours and bars and restaurants will reopen here. Since the weather is beautiful I suppose the terraces will be flooded.
    You need to reserve don't you? Be happy that you can we -might- do that on the 8th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You need to reserve don't you? Be happy that you can we -might- do that on the 8th.
    Outside we don't have to. And most bars say you don't need to reserve, just show up and say I want to reserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Outside we don't have to. And most bars say you don't need to reserve, just show up and say I want to reserve.
    Yeah, don't think it is really manageable to get everyone to reserve on time for a spot. Guess terraces are going to be filled up rather quickly considering they can only t use about half the space they used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Yeah, don't think it is really manageable to get everyone to reserve on time for a spot. Guess terraces are going to be filled up rather quickly considering they can only t use about half the space they used to.
    City councils are pretty cooperative so they are allowed to expanded terraces on streets and parking lots.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    As I posted elsewhere, there were 410 uses of deadly force back in 2012 when that year saw 12.2 million arrests.
    Politifact rated that mostly true.

But this is the era of selective "facts" so whatever fits your narrative.
    I see you successfully ignored my post and still use made-up numbers as facts, well done. The irony of the last sentence is just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

So is it safe to say the crisis is finally winding down?

In the past, people have warned of re-opening too soon, however there have been sweeping re-openings across the country over the past few weeks, yet the number of new cases has dropped through the floor.

My money is on there not being a "second wave"