10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Theory of psychanalisis, by Sigmund Freud. Fallacy of 1st impression.

Feel free to google it, in the absence of other information you always judge by the look's, which confirms my previous statment that visual information is prioritised over other information.
    This is... I don't even...

There are so many things wrong here, I'm not even sure where to begin, but here are the top three:
    1. The theory of first impressions is not a fallacy.
    2. The theory of first impressions has nothing to do with Freud; it's psychology, not psychoanalysis;
    3. The theory of first impressions only relates to judging a person, it has nothing to do with fears or memory.

The survival instinct you were descriving are close to phobias, whille the symptoms of people fearing viruses is normally closer to obsessive-compulsive disorders, which means, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.
    You're arguing against nothing here.

I quite literally already addressed this by stating that having prior experience can lead to a more visceral reaction. What does google have to say about what a "visceral reaction" is?
    A visceral reaction is an instinctive, gut-deep bodily response to a stimulus or experience. Without getting too complex, neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in our brains) determine what emotions we feel and force a physical response.
    But the point you seem keen to ignore is that a prior experience/visceral reaction are not in any way necessary in order to listen to the sense of self-preservation that tells you not to go out into a hurricane. And the same thing applies to not exposing yourself to a deadly virus.

Yet you nuked me when i compared Ebola with sars-cov-2, which was far much more accurate the comparing sars-cov-2 with a... HURRiCANE.
    Yep, you're not fucking listening to a word. A comparison is valid or not valid depending on what aspects are being compared. Your comparison of Ebola to SARS-COV-2 was not valid in the way in which it was made. My comparison between a hurricane and a deadly virus, on the other hand, is absolutely valid in the way in which it was made.

The scope of the comparison matters immensely. Nobody is comparing the whole of a hurricane with the whole of SARS-COV-2 here. Don't be ridiculous.

Can you classify stupidity? If you come from sciences you most likely don't know anything about humanistics, and you are labeled as being stupid, its obvious you know very few about psychology, and i can actually label you as being stupidy, but i won't, because one of the rules of psychology is actually not changing the person's personality, their believs, or in other words, what you call stupidity, what is valid for some people, is not for other, psychologists are not there to change people's believs.
    You're just digging that hole deeper and deeper...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    No. You survive by being cautious, not by being afraid. When someone is cowering in a deep hole, pissing themselves, they're not out there feeding their young and teaching them to survive in adverse conditions. Prolonging their life meant nothing, they're still an evolutionary dead-end.
    You continuously seem to suffer from a hyperbolistic view of what a fear can entail. Fear is a spectrum with caution at one end and terror (aka "cowering" and "pissing themselves") at the other. It shows when you characterize people advocating caution as "fearmongering".

Why the fuck you go straight to "cowering and pissing yourself" I have no idea, but perhaps it says more about you than the rest of humanity.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    This is the kicker: Homemade masks do not prevent you from getting infected on their own.
    As soon as virus loaded droplets land on your mask, you're basically sucking the viral particles right through the fabric.

Masks are only there to reduce the minimum distance needed and make social distancing more manageable.
    Still, using crammed public transportation is a roll of the dice. Mask or no mask.
    A seat belt doesn't 100% eliminate car fatalities but they greats increase one's chance of surviving an accident.

If course masks aren't a cure all, but they reduce your chances of contracting COVID19 if exposed by 65%. Spread is directly died to the number of people with masks on their face.

Distancing doesn't nothing for someone who walks into an COVID19 suspended in an aerosol. Read the article, unfortunately COVID19 is good at remaining suspended in air in indoor environments.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-07-13 at 08:20 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nat...244188877.html

Ted Cruz, Senator from the state of Texas, recent traveled to attend a rally for a friend running for state office.

He did not wear a mask while in the airport, or on the plane.

America is not capable of combating a pandemic.

- - - Updated - - -

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/tex...-gop-gathering

Speaking of, Texas Republicans are still trying to hold an in-person party convention with hundreds/thousands of attendees packed into a convention center.

Except for the elected officials speaking, who will be doing so remotely to avoid being stuck in a den of disease.

Well, the mayor of Houston, where it was to be held, terminated the contract for the event citing the dangers of the virus and the explosion of cases in the state that are putting a strain on their healthcare infrastructure. Which seems reasonable enough.

Texas Republican party sued for their "right" to hold an in person convention, and lost the lawsuit. Appealed to the state Supreme Court, who upheld the lower court ruling. It's supposed to happen Thursday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nat...244188877.html

Ted Cruz, Senator from the state of Texas, recent traveled to attend a rally for a friend running for state office.

He did not wear a mask while in the airport, or on the plane.

Didn't he already flirt with the disease? Foolishness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Darn President Obama and Biden for stopping testing.

If only the media reported on Obama's 3rd term.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The issue isn't that he says all that stuff, because he doesn't directly control the people and can't make laws by himself.

The major problem is the huge number of people that believe him, follow him, and borderline worship him and believe and spout the same bullshit he does about science being fake, that the experts don't know what they're doing or that the virus itself is a hoax.
    Please explain why 23% of US deaths from coronavirus are in 1 state and it is more than the next 3 combined. New York doesn't seem to want the President's help now. And the media that is insanely anti President has been saying how well New York has handled this. 23% of all deaths and they are handling it well? But that is Trump's fault. If you throw in New Jersey, that region counts 34% of all deaths.

You say the major problem is Trump followers. These are democratic party run states and have low Trump followers, please explain why they are doing worse. Here is another head-scratch er, why is California doing so well, as a democrat party run state it is only 5% of the deaths and make up only 2% of cases reported in the state. How are they doing so well, but New York/New Jersey are not? Got to be all those Trump followers, according to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    As others have said, Trump has support of 40+% of population (or maybe less now). USA has lots of checks and balances, as they like to say; so their problem is not that Trump is a maniac ruling against everyone's will, but because of their two-party system, one party is backing his incompetent actions.

Also to be fair, true power in fighting the pandemic belongs to states not to Trump. States with better governors are doing somewhat better than states with bad ones. They can't really close borders between states, so it's only "somewhat".
    Wait, stop ruining their fantasy that everything is Trump's fault. This includes the fantasy where Cuomo is doing a great job , just ask the media. New York has 23% of all deaths in the US but he is doing a great job as governor. Newsom has 332k cases in California to Cuomo's 428k....and the ratio is 7394 deaths to 32444. But it's Trump's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Please explain why 23% of US deaths from coronavirus are in 1 state and it is more than the next 3 combined. New York doesn't seem to want the President's help now. And the media that is insanely anti President has been saying how well New York has handled this. 23% of all deaths and they are handling it well? But that is Trump's fault. If you throw in New Jersey, that region counts 34% of all deaths.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/healt...ths/index.html

0 deaths yesterday, which is damned significant considering it's the first state the virus broke out in. If you look, most of the deaths are from April and outside of a spike on May 5 have been trending down since then. This was when the administration was still largely doing fuckall and letting states compete against each other for limited PPE supplies, and while they were downplaying the severity and significance of the virus.

They don't want Trump's help now because it's no longer needed, and they're not going to give a man who couldn't be bothered to help them out while things ere at their worst the time of day so he can try to claim any kind of credit for anything.

You say the major problem is Trump followers. These are democratic party run states and have low Trump followers, please explain why they are doing worse. Here is another head-scratch er, why is California doing so well, as a democrat party run state it is only 5% of the deaths and make up only 2% of cases reported in the state. How are they doing so well, but New York/New Jersey are not? Got to be all those Trump followers, according to you.
    Because they aren't, not anymore. Like their deaths, new daily cases have similarly been trending downward since mid-April, while we're seeing largely Republican led states like Florida peaking and still growing.

They're doing better because each state is different, each states response is different, and each population is different. It's complex and there's no easy answer, despite many of us wishing there were. But to discount the significance that Trump and his adherents have played in this affair is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Distancing doesn't nothing for someone who walks into an COVID19 suspended in an aerosol. Read the article, unfortunately COVID19 is good at remaining suspended in air in indoor environments.
    The article doesn't say that, as it clearly shows that aerosol spread is rare (outside of specific hospital procedures); if occurring at all.
    Obviously the knowledge is still developing, but it's also clear that there are lots of unclear data being blown out of proportion.

Or to quote the actual article in the Lancet (WHO says the same):
    It has not been solved if SARS-CoV-2 might spread through aerosols from respiratory droplets;
    You can also see that from the data - keeping a distance of 1m (preferably more) had about the same risk reduction as wearing a mask, and not simple cloth but primarily N95/surgical; that wouldn't make sense if aerosol spread were a significant factor. Goggles/face shields are slightly less effective than either.

When you hear about large number persons of infected indoors, even when the claimed to have physically distancing, they have generally been singing, or working with meat stacking. Don't do the first, and take precautions if your work involves the second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, stop ruining their fantasy that everything is Trump's fault. This includes the fantasy where Cuomo is doing a great job , just ask the media. New York has 23% of all deaths in the US but he is doing a great job as governor. Newsom has 332k cases in California to Cuomo's 428k....and the ratio is 7394 deaths to 32444. But it's Trump's fault.
    Because New York City is one of the most populated and most densely populated areas in the country and such conditions are prime for the spread of infectious disease?

Also:

It continues to remain Trump's fault because he was appraised of the situation as early as late January and did exactly nothing in terms of pandemic preparation or economic stimulus into the eleventh hour. Keep deflecting though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    @TexasRules the virus came from Europe. The primary port of entry is New York City. The city has ridiculous population density. Trump failed to get testing lined up or restrict travel in any significant way. NYC bears the brunt of the early wave that then ripples out to the rest of the nation. Their Governor and Mayor take tough stances on dealing with the disease and they flatten the curve.

Meanwhile... Most of the rest of the nation is seeing rising case numbers, and hospitalizations, because a significant portion of the populace refuses to wear masks. See Ted Cruz for reference.
    So the whole nursing home thing is Trump's fault. And which mayor are you talking about? I do not think the entire state has 1 mayor. Nor is the entire state a port of entry. That also doesn't explain New Jersey helping it out. And when it first started Coumo said the President helped when he was asked, so not understanding

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It continues to remain Trump's fault because he was appraised of the situation as early as late January and did exactly nothing in terms of pandemic preparation or economic stimulus into the eleventh hour. Keep deflecting though.
    So when Coumo said he asked Trump for help when it started and said the government helped, I am now deflecting more? Genius move on my behalf I guess. And nice graph. As more testing is done, cases go up...who would have thunk it. Now show me the deaths graph. Since , I was talking about deaths. And again, CA has about 332k cases to 428k, and deaths are 7400 to 32444 sooooo that doesn't show on your graph why so many died. Must be Trump's fault. Or are using statistics me deflecting?
    Last edited by TexasRules; 2020-07-13 at 09:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So when Coumo said he asked Trump for help when it started and said the government helped, I am now deflecting more? Genius move on my behalf I guess.
    So, let me get this right. You want us to credit Trump for doing the absolute bare minimum at the eleventh hour when the alternative would have been politically suicidal?

I thought y'all hated participation trophies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The article doesn't say that, as it clearly shows that aerosol spread is rare (outside of specific hospital procedures); if occurring at all.
    Obviously the knowledge is still developing, but it's also clear that there are lots of unclear data being blown out of proportion.

Or to quote the actual article in the Lancet (WHO says the same):

You can also see that from the data - keeping a distance of 1m (preferably more) had about the same risk reduction as wearing a mask, and not simple cloth but primarily N95/surgical; that wouldn't make sense if aerosol spread were a significant factor. Goggles/face shields are slightly less effective than either.

When you hear about large number persons of infected indoors, even when the claimed to have physically distancing, they have generally been singing, or working with meat stacking. Don't do the first, and take precautions if you work involves the second.
    Did you read the article? It cites two major froms of transmission: droplets and aerosols. It then goes on to say how the virus remains suspended in active form for hours.

The second major transmission method is via the aerosol particles we expel when we talk. Those are about 1/100th the size of a human hair and are more difficult to defend against. Social distancing and staying outdoors, where there is more air flow, are helpful, Blumberg and Ristenpart said.

“Studies in laboratory conditions now show the virus stays alive in aerosol form with a half-life on the scale of hours. It persists in the air,” Ristenpart said. “That’s why you want to be outdoors for any social situations if possible. The good air flow will disperse the virus. If you are indoors, think about opening the windows. You want as much fresh air as possible.”

This is why, he said, places like bars are particularly hazardous for aerosols, on top of the likelihood of minimal distancing. “The louder you speak, the more expiatory aerosols you put out,” he said.
    Essentially if a speaking person spreading the virus remains in a spot for a given amount of time, say a minute, they create an area of contamination.

Person A has the virus. They sit at a bar and order a drink. There's no one with a meter of them but there are talking loudly in the spot for 5 min. They create an aerosol in that spot that will persist in the area for an hour or more. Person A leaves, Person B sits in their spot - B is now exposed to the virus. Whether Person B contracts the virus depends on several factors such as how well the room is ventilated, how many particles A might have expelled, yadda, yadda. It's also why exposure in terms of time is an important factor and concern. Distancing goes out of the window in indoor settings where the virus is allowed to linger in the air.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...t-transmission

10+ Year Old Account
    So the whole nursing home thing is Trump's fault. And which mayor are you talking about? I do not think the entire state has 1 mayor. Nor is the entire state a port of entry. That also doesn't explain New Jersey helping it out. And when it first started Coumo said the President helped when he was asked, so not understanding
    Yes, the nursing home issue is actually ongoing, because there is no national response.

So when Coumo said he asked Trump for help when it started and said the government helped, I am now deflecting more? Genius move on my behalf I guess. And nice graph. As more testing is done, cases go up...who would have thunk it. Now show me the deaths graph. Since , I was talking about deaths. And again, CA has about 332k cases to 428k, and deaths are 7400 to 32444 sooooo that doesn't show on your graph why so many died. Must be Trump's fault. Or are using statistics me deflecting?
    Yes, you can tell it’s Trump’s fault, because you keep talking about individual state’s action. This is because there was no federal response, outside of denying its impact. If it were not Trump’s fault, you’d be talking about how states ignoring federal guidelines caused this. But, you can’t... because Trump didn’t do shit...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/st...26385437089793

US Surgeon General Jerome Adams went back on Face of the Nation to talk about the virus, this time wearing a mask.

They asked him about why he was discouraging people from purchasing face masks in early March by saying they don't work for the general public if they're sick.

Rather than say that yes, he regretted giving dangerously incorrect medical advise, he decided to try to justify it by saying that leeches, cocaine, heroine, and cigarettes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    This is... I don't even...

There are so many things wrong here, I'm not even sure where to begin, but here are the top three:
    The theory of first impressions is not a fallacy.
    Fallacy is all the behavior that comes from the subconscient, when you meet someone you always judge by their look's, and by a lesser extenct by the way they speak, for example if the people you interacting with speaks about a TV show you don't like, you will normally form a bad impression of that person.

It's a fallacy because people gets tricked by this mind behavior, often they completly shift around, but that normally takes extra time.

I was using this example to prove that the mind DOES prioritise visuals over other information, and you already shifting from the point.

But the point you seem keen to ignore is that a prior experience/visceral reaction are not in any way necessary in order to listen to the sense of self-preservation that tells you not to go out into a hurricane. And the same thing applies to not exposing yourself to a deadly virus.
    That was i saying, the mind prioritises visuals over other senses, everyone can see and feel the efects of a hurricane, how many people do you see out in the streets during a hurricane? About 1 or 2 morons. No look around a look at many people doing the most weird stuff during this pandemic. Is it only 1 or 2? Look at Israel we are at a middle of a resurgence of the pandemic because most people is giving a shit to it, that happens because the visual information about the virus is non existant, we can't see the bug, which forces people to relagate it to a second plane in the suconscious.

Yep, you're not fucking listening to a word. A comparison is valid or not valid depending on what aspects are being compared. Your comparison of Ebola to SARS-COV-2 was not valid in the way in which it was made. My comparison between a hurricane and a deadly virus, on the other hand, is absolutely valid in the way in which it was made.
    I used it top compare reproductive numbers and give the example that underdeveloped nations in Africa DID managed to controll it and wipe out the virus, how the hell can't i use it as a valid argument?
    The one who seems to be not listening its you, not me.

The scope of the comparison matters immensely. Nobody is comparing the whole of a hurricane with the whole of SARS-COV-2 here. Don't be ridiculous.
    Again, haven't i already explained you that one reaction is mostly of chemical activity and the other is not, i would accept the example if it was valid, except it isn't.

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-ant...-surge-1517361

Those responsible for the gathering offered free meals to 100 patrons who opted to dine at the establishment without wearing a face mask, Reuters reported. A video of the weekend's rally showed the central Florida restaurant and bar, 33 & Melt, served dozens of customers that day. No one in the video appears to be wearing a mask.

Near the beginning of the video, law enforcement officers identified as agents from Florida's Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, a branch of the state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation, enter 33 & Melt and confront the establishment's owner. The details of their discussion could not be heard.

Anti-mask activists Tara Hill, Chris Nelson and others later followed agents outside to ask if they intended to revoke the establishment's alcohol license. When the agents did not reply, activists told them, "It's wrong, what you're doing." The group then began to chant, "This is America! This is America!"

This is America, and America is not prepared to effectively fight a pandemic.

It's fair to say New York fucked up large parts of it's response but New York city is also the most densely populated city in the country and also got hit hard at the start of this when honestly, no one was really prepared for it. Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, California and South Carolina are all getting hit extremely hard right now. At least 3 of those 6 seem content to just let their hospital capacity overflow and try to ignore their way out of this problem. Also, New York counts probable deaths as COVID-19 deaths, where as Texas does not. Texas pneumonia deaths are up nearly 500% compared to the last 4 years likely because people are dying to COVID and getting classified as pneumonia deaths due to not being tested.

I do agree that the media praises Cuomo to a ridiculous extent and he deserves little of it, but the state did get their crisis under control. It just turns out the rest of the country learned nothing from that.

Not good for countries relying on non-vaccinated herd immunity.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/202...-herd-immunity
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

So, Gavin Newsom has shut down places of worship. This of course is not in accordance with the federal guidance, under President Donald Trump, that places of worship are essential, which they are. Many churches near where I live went to great lengths to meet the distancing requirements, the sanitation requirements, all of the requirements (of which there were double-digit), and I suppose they are expected to close again. Outdoor services are still available according to the order, so I hope churches are able to accommodate.

New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio recently stated that Black Lives Matter protests are exempt from the large event restrictions that have been implemented. Presumably, the threat of what is referred to as systemic racism, and the death it causes, is too important to restrict. Over 1,000 health care workers signed their names to a letter stating that, "...opposition to racism [is] vital to the public health...". Well, I'd like to suggest that opposition to sin is vital to the public health. Every malady we suffer as humankind is the result of sin, of disobedience to God, and many die because of it's destructive consequences. Keeping churches open is vital to public well-being.

As such, under the exact same rationale used to justify the close-proximity contact, and in demonstrable cases non-mask-wearing congregations of Black Lives Matter protests, I fully intend to keep attending church and fight for their right to stay open. Don't worry about who can destroy the body, worry about the one who can destroy both the body and the soul. For what profit is it if you gain the whole world (including your short life), if it costs you your very soul?