10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Because it takes time to track them down and understand them.
    And for the first study I have already seen studies that indicate the exact opposite; so it's best to wait for a meta-analysis.
    I see.

So when it's a study that supports your opinion, it's a meaningful study. When it's a study that challenges your opinion, it's best to wait for a meta-analysis.

If you want to wait for a meta-analysis, then you can't use your chosen studies as evidence, either. You can't have it both ways, and attempting to do so just labels you a hypocrite.

More and shallower contacts, and we haven't seen that schools spread it that much.
    How the actual fuck do you think that school contact is "shallower contact" than out-of-school contact? In school, kids are boxed up in a small, closed room in close proximity with large numbers of other kids. Outside of school, kids mostly interact outside, or in more open buildings, and in much, much smaller groups.

I know that it depends on the other interventions - which are anyway necessary; and that R can be below 1 in that case.
    Possible is a long way away from probable. Were it not, I'd have won the lottery by now.

The case for re-opening schools have already been made - assuming schools actually teach the students something, which admittedly is a big if when it comes to certain countries.
    Why not get some nation-bashing in while you're at it, huh? Classy.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...19/5571105002/

Hundreds of employees in Georgia's largest school district have either tested positive for COVID-19 or have been exposed to the virus, officials said.

Gwinnett County Public School teachers gathered for in-person planning Wednesday at 141 facilities across the county, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The next day about 260 employees were "excluded from work" because of the coronavirus.

The district, which is scheduled to reopen Aug. 12, has a reporting and tracing process in addition to the protocol for excluding employees who test positive or come into contact with a confirmed case, Sloan Roach, a spokeswoman for the district, told CNN.
    This. Nation. Is. Fucked.

We squandered months of time to prepare contingency plans and find funding to allow schools to re-open in a reduced, safe capacity. We squandered and wasted time to create plans for ways to serve kids learning remotely, including expanded internet access and meal delivery/pickup. We've failed to reduce the spread of the virus ahead of schools re-opening.

And yet we're expecting children to behave in a more responsible way than adults have thus far shown themselves capable of doing since this all began.

America is not capable of battling a pandemic. Period.

Before covid many people had the opinion that republicans simply don't give a shit unless something directly hurts them. Right now the behavior of red states are just proving that to be true.

The virus is gonna have to slaughter thousands of people in those states before they decide to take it seriously. Even then they might not if it doesn't kill anyone related to those in power.

I think most of these idiots who are determined to sacrifice others only do so because they believe the virus won't hurt anyone they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I see.

So when it's a study that supports your opinion, it's a meaningful study. When it's a study that challenges your opinion, it's best to wait for a meta-analysis.
    No, when there are conflicting studies of the same thing as in these cases, it's best to wait for further studies or a meta-analysis.

If studies get results that seem to contradict other results - but are in fact for different things (viral load in infected kids vs. effect of school closures) it's from a scientific point-of-view best to wait for further studies as there is something we don't understand, but in practice cautiously use the study that is closest to the real situation.

And if the study is clearly broken it's best to just ignore it.

How the actual fuck do you think that school contact is "shallower contact" than out-of-school contact?
    It was in comparison to being in the same house almost 24x7 during lockdown.

Possible is a long way away from probable. Were it not, I'd have won the lottery by now.
    The important part was getting the other interventions in place, and have them at a level so that they actually work and can be maintained.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9656131.html

Apparently some Americans hate science and facts so much that they've taken to sending death threats to Dr. Fauci and his family. He has had to hire private security to protect his daughters.

What triggered snowflakes.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...opening-now-in

Fourth graders at a school that is part of a system that Vice President Pence visited and lauded for returning to in-person teaching have been asked to quarantine after a student tested positive for COVID-19.

Thales Academy in Wake Forest, N.C., became aware of the positive test on Monday, ABC News reported.

The fourth grader, who was last at the school Friday, was reportedly infected at home by a family member, but was asymptomatic. All of the teachers and students who were exposed must now quarantine for 14 days.
    I mean, Pence was almost right. They're on the forefront of using schools as a vector (I'm aware the school isn't actually alive) to transmit the virus between students and faculty, along with schools in Georgia that are predictably seeing cases at the start of sessions as children pack into classrooms and halls without masks.

The Trump administration, and certain governors and school districts that continue to push for re-opening, are going to get a lot of kids and their families infected and killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The article seemed unclear, but to me it sounded as though they gathered all the teacher for each school at one large physical meeting to plan the online courses for the fall. That sounds really stupid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/healt...ate/index.html

Mississippi is mandating masks in public gatherings and schools now as it continues to rate in the top 5 for cases per-capita.

The article seemed unclear, but to me it sounded as though they gathered all the teacher for each school at one large physical meeting to plan the online courses for the fall. That sounds really stupid.

It wasn't one large physical meeting:

Gwinnett County Public School teachers gathered for in-person planning Wednesday at 141 facilities across the county, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The next day about 260 employees were "excluded from work" because of the coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...moved-covid-19

In which Facebook pulls down a post from the President of the United States of America for including dangerous misinformation about an ongoing global pandemic.

America ain't equipped for this.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good grief. The extent some people are willing to go over wearing a mask. The older lady should not have said anything to the other woman, but the younger woman should not have responded like she did ether. She should be charged with assault. The older lady, suffered a broken leg over it. And what kind of scum would be physically aggressive to a much older and clearly weaker person since she was using a cane?

To explain the case better, the younger woman came into the store, wearing a mask, but it did not cover her nose. The older lady told her, she should have it covering her nose also. The younger woman is being sought by the police.

I know this because I watched the video on another YouTube video and the author explained the case, but I am not sure how MMO Champ feels about YouTube videos which has a lot of adds in them.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-08-05 at 11:48 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good grief. The extent some people are willing to go over wearing a mask. The older lady should not have said anything to the other woman, but the younger woman should not have responded like she did ether. She should be charged with assault. The older lady, suffered a broken leg over it. And what kind of scum would be physically aggressive to a much older and clearly weaker person since she was using a cane?

To explain the case better, the younger woman came into the store, wearing a mask, but it did not cover her nose. The older lady told her, she should have it covering her nose also. The younger woman is being sought by the police.
    The older woman should have absolutely said something, there's no reason to not remind someone of the importance of wearing a mask properly during a pandemic. Especially given that as a elderly woman who had an organ transplant, she's at considerably higher personal risk from reckless idiots who refuse to wear a mask in a store.

Terri Thomas, the assailant, has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault so that's good. And unsurprisingly, TMZ as always manages to get the direct video feed because of course they do - https://www.tmz.com/2020/08/05/new-j...man-cane-mask/

- - - Updated - - -

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/trump...232353278.html

- You said in an interview this morning on the coronavirus, "This thing is going away. It'll go away like things go away," despite ongoing cases and deaths.

DONALD TRUMP: It's going away.

- Isn't that quite out of touch with reality?

DONALD TRUMP: It's going away. No, it'll go away. Like things go away. Absolutely. It's no question in my mind. It will go away. Please, go ahead.

- Mr. President, you praised--

DONALD TRUMP: Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

I'm talking about from getting very sick. If you look at children, I mean, they're able to throw it off very easily. And it's an amazing thing because some flus, they don't. They get very sick and they have problems with flus, and they have problems with other things. But for whatever reason, the China virus, children handle it very well. And they may-- they may get it, but they get it and it doesn't have much of an impact on them. And if you look at the numbers, the numbers of-- in terms of mortality, fatality, the numbers for children under a certain age, meaning young, their immune systems are very, very strong. They're very powerful and they-- they seem to be able to handle it very well. And that's according to every statistic. Please, go ahead.
    It seems the strategy of the Trump administration largely continues to be, "Hope the virus just goes away." rather than any meaningful action or concrete plans.

Also, there's increasing data to suggest that his comments on children are wrong.

Also "China virus" because why not continue to inject some casual racism into this.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2020-08-06 at 12:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems the strategy of the Trump administration largely continues to be, "Hope the virus just goes away." rather than any meaningful action or concrete plans.
    It’s not a strategy... he is a spoiled brat, where problems just go away. He doesn’t understand what government even does...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there's increasing data to suggest that his comments on children are wrong.
    The immune system being strong, is anti vaxxer talking point...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The immune system being strong, is anti vaxxer talking point...
    Considering Trump has openly flirted with anti-vax conspiracy theories before, this isn't remotely surprising.

- - - Updated - - -

https://knock-la.com/sheriffs-depart...i=4a58a406f7df

On July 31, the Friday night that California became the first state to surpass 500,000 Coronavirus cases, members of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department (LASD) threw a party.

Individuals (some of whom later identified themselves as associates of the LASD) were spotted by KNOCK.LA reporters at Sassafras Saloon in Hollywood. Sassafras, an antebellum Savannah-themed bar, has been closed to the public since March 15. Bars and clubs that do not serve food, like Sassafras, have been mandated closed in compliance with state and county public health directives.
    Apparently LA Sherriff's department threw a party at a bar that's been closed since March 15.

If we can't expect those that enforce laws to abide by them, how can we expect Regular Joe and Regular Jane?

America. Isn't. Capable. Of. Combating. A. Pandemic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering Trump has openly flirted with anti-vax conspiracy theories before, this isn't remotely surprising.

- - - Updated - - -

https://knock-la.com/sheriffs-depart...i=4a58a406f7df

Apparently LA Sherriff's department threw a party at a bar that's been closed since March 15.

If we can't expect those that enforce laws to abide by them, how can we expect Regular Joe and Regular Jane?

America. Isn't. Capable. Of. Combating. A. Pandemic.
    1. Flirting? He's practically been committing bigamy with them.

2. LASD is a cesspool, without any of the redeeming features. The entire thing needs to be demolished and the land sown with salt just to be sure.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The older lady had every right to tell the younger woman to put her mask on properly... the younger woman should not have gotten in the older lady's space at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    The older lady had every right to tell the younger woman to put her mask on properly... the younger woman should not have gotten in the older lady's space at all.
    It’s also fair to assume that someone wearing a mask, would want to do so properly. It might seem like man spanning, but still...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of course she had the right. I am just saying, I wouldn't if I was her. I was in Lowes the other day, wearing a mask and almost everyone else was also. But this older lady came walking down one aisle not wearing one. I didn't say anything. Not my store or my place to be telling others what to wear, is how I feel. You can have a difference stance and that is fine also.

But clearly the older lady would be better off today if she hadn't said anything.

I absolutely agree with your comment about the younger woman.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-08-06 at 03:57 AM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/h...ess/index.html

People are getting sick and even dying after swallowing hand sanitizer, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday. Four died and others have suffered impaired vision or seizures, the CDC says.

Hand sanitizer is everywhere and is useful for cleaning the hands during the coronavirus pandemic. But it's not safe to swallow, the CDC cautions. "Alcohol-based hand sanitizer products should never be ingested," the CDC said in a new report.

A CDC team described the cases of 15 adults in Arizona and New Mexico hospitalized for methanol poisoning after consuming alcohol-based hand sanitizers between May and June.
    Why the fuck are grown ass adults at least of 18 years of age drinking motherfucking hand sanitizer?

The coronavirus is beginning to make me a believe that Social Darwinism isn't just some silly, debunked, crackpot theory, and that it might have some legs to it.

Who the fuck is giving these people this nonsense notion? I can't imagine this is purely spontaneous. And either way, what the fuck, America? Why are we so comically inept and stupid?

Of course she had the right. I am just saying, I wouldn't if I was her. I was in Lowes the other day, wearing a mask and almost everyone else was also. But this older lady came walking down one aisle not wearing one. I didn't say anything. Not my store or my place to be telling others what to wear, is how I feel. You can have a difference stance and that is fine also.
    There's a difference between "I wouldn't have said anything" and "she shouldn't have said anything". Someone needed to say something there. That woman is endangering people. It's like saying "well, I knew he was drunk when I saw him heading to his car...but it wasn't my place to say anything"

I mean, it seems that as the younger woman was walking away from the copier the older woman just asked her to pull her mask up. That's not exactly getting in her face. It's not like she followed her through the store and badgered her about it the whole time. Just a "hey, the way you are wearing your mask is putting everyone else in the store at risk...maybe fix that?".

Also, what the fuck is wrong with all those other people in the store? Go help the old woman that just go violently thrown to the ground and is in obvious distress.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the fuck are grown ass adults at least of 18 years of age drinking motherfucking hand sanitizer?

The coronavirus is beginning to make me a believe that Social Darwinism isn't just some silly, debunked, crackpot theory, and that it might have some legs to it.

Who the fuck is giving these people this nonsense notion? I can't imagine this is purely spontaneous. And either way, what the fuck, America? Why are we so comically inept and stupid?
    Remember when those same grown ass adults were mocking teenagers for eating tide pods?

It wasn't one large physical meeting:
    I clearly meant one large meeting for each school, where they gathered all the teachers for each school, but thought that it would be redundant to repeat each.