Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You know what we need to solve this coronavirus problem?

Ad campaigns for tourism!
    That'll do the trick

It amazes me that there are people who think the president is handling this well. My uncle said my workplace was able to recover so well thanks to the tiny stimulus. Had to inform him that no, most people spent that on bills because the pandemic caused them to be layed off. He didn't believe that. Seems the supporters are ignoring the pandemic and substituting their own idea. Heck, most of my family don't even know that no, the US is not doing well. They are usually shocked to discover that we have the most deaths by a large margin. Then they say the case numbers is because we are doing so many tests. Again, in pure denial that the tests don't just create magic cases out of nowhere. They were sick regardless of the test.

Guess you don't need to screen for travelers when every other country is banning people from traveling to you in the first place. Though, if my family is any indication, most people simply have no idea wtf is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    You know what we need to solve this coronavirus problem?

Ad campaigns for tourism!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-d...-push-tourism/
    Who the fuck would want to go to South Dakota even without a pandemic?

Nobody gives a shit about corn fields, the only thing worth seeing is Mount Rushmore, and having been, it's like a 10 minute thing at most where you take a couple pictures and leave...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

Nobody gives a shit about corn fields, the only thing worth seeing is Mount Rushmore, and having been, it's like a 10 minute thing at most where you take a couple pictures and leave...
    But isn't South Dakota the best Dakota?

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

The Badlands National Park is kinda cool. You can do Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower in Wyoming on the way to Yellowstone. It's a pretty nice trip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Jesus, hadn't kept track but those numbers do not look good at all. What the hell happened in May that cases disappeared before surging again? >.>
    Things were reopened and for a while it was fine, so people relaxed and did not care much about the light restrictions and recommendations that were in place. Then we also like out mass weddings, our nightlife, our weekly protests and our religious gatherings - so over time cases started rising again.

The writing was on the wall and there was a lot of talk about it, but this time around various political parties pulled their own agendas, whether it's religious parties that demanded to go on with religious crap en-masse or restaurants/clubs/hotels/etc resisting with their lobbies and a super populist head of parliamentary committee that's supposed to approve restrictions decisions canceling whatever little restrictions government managed to agree on.

All the while we had an appointed projector for the strategic planning that came up with flexible "semaphore" restrictions system, where cities would enter various restrictions levels based on their cases amount on color grade (red/yellow/green), but because of government deadlock it took so long to approve, that by the time it got approved - it became pointless. That was a week ago, so it basically was dead on arrival already.

It's the unfortunate side effect of Democracy in this case, to pass measures government has to actually to agree between most coalition members, so they can actually pass them as a vote. Various parties worked tirelessly to put sticks in the wheels, either shooting down proposals or making them toothless token measures, just to please their electorate. There wasn't simply enough pressure for them to give in.

All this kerfuffle went on for months, until we got here and now there is a realization that lockdown is again necessary, because half-measures no longer can cut it.

So we go to lockdown for at least 2 weeks (expected 3 weeks) starting Sept 18th. There is finally agreement on that between most coalition parties, it still has to pass the vote at Sunday, but expectation is that it will.

---

On the bright side we do a lot of tests per 1m pop and our deaths statistic is pretty decent too, healthcare system handles this well, but right now there is a red flag rising there that another several weeks of this and they will start getting stretched too thin - that is literally what pressured the decision for lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    The Badlands National Park is kinda cool. You can do Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower in Wyoming on the way to Yellowstone. It's a pretty nice trip.
    Could not agree more, I've done the gambit and have visited almost every single state, and Badlands very memorable in good way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bad news from Portugal. We back to 600+ daily cases, more restrictions on next 15 september, even we already knew those restrictions were comming in the past 2 weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here the goverment is now sending people to download stupid app. HELL NO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Here the goverment is now sending people to download stupid app. HELL NO.
    We have a similar systhem... I still haven't downloaded it, nor i have intentions to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have the app here, some use, some don't.

I do use it, I don't mind. If the government wants to track me, they can anyway, so might as well get some benefit of it.

It's not horribly useful tbh, it did notify me a couple of times about intersections I had, but these notifications came a good 5 days or so after it happened, so I'm not sure how it's useful in reality.

It's also not super precise, but good enough there. For example it can tell you that a positive person was detected in a supermarket in a rather wide time window, like let's say 11-14 o'clock. That's decent, IMO, but the delay is killing it, really.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-09-11 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Probably not per se, it happens all the time in vaccine trials. The mere thing that it happened is a major setback though - typically such shutdowns last 6 to 8 months, this one could last less due to the emergency, but every day counts. Hopefully the independent commission will be quick and efficient.
    It lasted substantially less, they resumed it earlier today:
    https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/...in-the-uk.html

Baltic bubble died off with Latvia now having mandatory 2 week isolation period if arriving from Estonia. Lithuania is sure to follow.
    Latvia is the only one with "low" infection rates remaining.

Yay...

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It lasted substantially less, they resumed it earlier today:
    https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/...in-the-uk.html
    Good. I feel like they might've swept something under the carpet or been granted the ability to ignore standard procedures due to the emergency, but given the circumstances I also feel it's for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    No shit, the point is that no one is arguing anyone should while some are trying to argue this is the position of people saying the US should go into a lockdown for a few months.

And yes the US gone into a lockdown before, that everyone ignored and opened up way to soon so it didn't do anything.

That is what some people are not getting, its not about a constant lockdown. Its about doing it correctly once. Which the US has utterly failed at.
    Not true. The virus simply won't go away on its own. The only way to establish herd immunity is to have a large portion of the population either get sick or get vaccinated. Sitting at home does neither. The intention of the lockdown was never to eradicate the virus but to not overwhelm the health care system, which we successfully did. Remember "two weeks to flatten the curve"? Remember "experts" were predicting +2 million US dead if we didn't flatten the curve and 1 million dead regardless. Well that clearly didn't happen.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Not true. The virus simply won't go away on its own. The only way to establish herd immunity is to have a large portion of the population either get sick or get vaccinated. Sitting at home does neither. The intention of the lockdown was never to eradicate the virus but to not overwhelm the health care system, which we successfully did. Remember "two weeks to flatten the curve"? Remember "experts" were predicting +2 million US dead if we didn't flatten the curve and 1 million dead regardless. Well that clearly didn't happen.
    To get herd immunity with what is the current believed spread rate we would need to get between 50-75% of the population either vaccinated/catch it. We'd have to get that number to at least 164.1 million to get it/vaccinated. With the ~3% mortality rate we'd kill off 4.9 million people unless those are vaccinated people.

Fun times there. Also we really don't know the chance or effect of being infected the second or third time. Reports of decreased lung function have been reported. The second time could be much higher than 3%.

I still say we opened up in the US a month too early. Should have waited bailed the economy/citizens out and we might could have squashed Covid-19 out into extinction. Didn't have the heart for it. Here in GA we had to have our nails and hair done and to go bowling.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://v.redd.it/d1ul4b1julm51

The magnitude that this pandemic has hit is just a symptom of the human condition. Maybe it is who we are, maybe it's what we've become but directly advanced better than virus could have on its own.

I linked a video where an officer is called to what looked like a frat party in the middle of the day. House full of people breaking a gathering ordinance.

I went to college, I partied but my immediate thought is these people look like a bunch of 'fine people', fuck that they are bums, who do nothing but drink and yell 'wooo' all the time while leeching off their parents and complaining about any real work. The shit they are doing doesn't even look fun, it looks pathetic and like they are trying to cover their own demons. Rant over.

So the officer rolls up to the house. He is kind, polite, respectful. He is assertive, explains to the man why he is there, what they did wrong, why they should not be doing it, even explains to them how this behavior actually stops things from getting back to normal. The man (who is in charge of the house I guess) is clearly unremorsful, and apology is basically 'this is what I'm supposed to say in this situation even though I don't care', devoid of any ounce of intelligence or sense of responsibility. Even as the cop is like, "the university might fuck you for this" and looking for some ounce of remorse the man can't muster any.

So the cop pulls the man's idea. Runs it and boy is the cop in for a horrible surprise. The man is actually registered in a database as being positive for COVID19. As in he already had some sort of official run in somewhere and they felt it necessary to flag is this mother fucker. The rest of the video becomes hard to watch if you have any amount of empathy in your body.

The cop get out and questions the man again with this new found knowledge but you can sort of hear it in the cops voice that he is all types of hurt, disappointed, and pissed. Not only did the man and his friends knowingly hold a party while sick, they are actively spreading it, and some of them had just walked off, no masks, to spread it to others. They didn't even have the nuts to tell the officer, instead this poor guy has is now exposed. They wouldn't even had said anything to him about it had it not been for the flag in the computer so the LEO (hopefully he doesn't get sick) would taken the virus home, to he workplace, and all throughout the community without knowing any better. AND STILL the man is really only sorry his party got broken up and he was caught.

These are the people are the world who like any sort of common decency. The virus is just along for the ride. At the very least they could have had their fucked up COVID19 party without endangering countless innocent people. Society is actually broken because this mindset exists with or without COVID19.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yet. Have a look at this, specifically starting in Oct.:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-ending-29.png

Our baseline level of infection is far worse. Come Fall/Winter, if people don't get smarter about masks and distancing, we are fucked. So basically, we are fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet. Have a look at this, specifically starting in Oct.:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-ending-29.png

Our baseline level of infection is far worse. Come Fall/Winter, if people don't get smarter about masks and distancing, we are fucked. So basically, we are fucked.

Also, eat shit putting experts in quotes. You don't have the brain power to comprehend what is meant when an expert qualifies their model predictions by describing its uncertainties, don't blame them for your misinterpretations of what they say and what they don't say. Public displays of ignorance should be illegal.

Remember "experts" were predicting +2 million US dead if we didn't flatten the curve and 1 million dead regardless. Well that clearly didn't happen.
    You obviously didn't read what they said that number was if we did nothing even though Trump did nothing governors and mayors took action that saved lives. Those scenarios are if and else statements most of the projections so far have been an under count.

Think we did a pretty good job about 6k dead overall mostly elderly with a 10million population and now it's like one or two dead each day.
    Do you hear the voices too?