Quote Originally Posted by Price Lopez View Post
    very scary from what is happening in the world now.
    don't be afraid like everyone in this thread. wash your hands, distance while you can, and keep your head up. live life.

one of my helpful tips is to just wait outside or go to a different convenience (making it inconvenient i know) store that is less crowded if there are too many people there.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    don't be afraid like everyone in this thread. wash your hands, distance while you can, and keep your head up. live life.

one of my helpful tips is to just wait outside or go to a different convenience (making it inconvenient i know) store that is less crowded if there are too many people there.
    Or you know, just wear a fucking mask and not have to worry about it?

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    lol yep that's prevents it all.

your mindset is exactly why i'm a dick about this subject irl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    But... but... it’s their God-given right as an American to not wear a mask at Walmart!

Stupid.
    goddamn right, ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    But... but... it’s their God-given right as an American to not wear a mask at Walmart!

Stupid.
    The reason we are doomed really if only their choice only affected them but Trump supporters are holding super spreader rally events virtually no mask no social distancing then going out giving it to everyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

goddamn right, ma'am.
    Yup it's your right to be an idiotic asshole and not to do your best to keep everyone else around you safe.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-09-25 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Minor Flaming

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The reason we are doomed really if only their choice only affected them but Trump supporters are holding super spreader rally events virtually no mask no social distancing then going out giving it to everyone else.
    OH and not to mention those riots huh? be real.

and it's your right to be afraid of everything they tell you to.

Whataboutism is so cliche at this point those rallies are being held every week those riots are a much smaller percentage. Last but not least the rioters and looters most of them are not as stupid as to not wear masks not sure which is sadder. They are breaking the law but wearing masks as you lots just don't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Whataboutism is so cliche at this point those rallies are being held every week those riots are a much smaller percentage. Last but not least the rioters and looters most of them are not as stupid as to not wear masks not sure which is sadder. They are breaking the law but wearing masks as you lots just don't give a shit.
    ok, neither of us are going to change each others minds. have a good one and good luck to you.

lol yep that's prevents it all.

your mindset is exactly why i'm a dick about this subject irl.

- - - Updated - - -

goddamn right, ma'am.
    Wearing a mask works. Otherwise a fucking surgeon that wears one for doing 10-12 hour surgeries, it wouldn't work. There have been literally hundreds, if not thousands of people that thought just like you, and now they are dead. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's your right to be afraid of everything they tell you to.
    The protesters wear masks. Because they aren't stupid.

Wearing a mask works. Otherwise a fucking surgeon that wears one for doing 10-12 hour surgeries, it wouldn't work. There have been literally hundreds, if not thousands of people that thought just like you, and now they are dead. Hope it doesn't happen to you.
    i appreciate that. thank you. i hope you stay safe as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The protesters wear masks. Because they aren't stupid.
    now that i'll never agree with lol. *watches rioter accidently light themselves on fire* good thing they had that mask on though. sorry, totally different subject

i appreciate that. thank you. i hope you stay safe as well.

- - - Updated - - -

now that i'll never agree with lol. *watches rioter accidently light themselves on fire* good thing they had that mask on though. sorry, totally different subject
    Still better than right wing/Trump supporting protesters like the Boogaloo Boys and Proud Boys murdering cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You'd think so, but Boris Johnson still exists.
    He was not exactly comparable to our dear "strongarmed leaders". I mean, sure, UK messed up the initial response, but he was not exactly in denial of seriousness of Covid, as opposed to Trump, Lukashenko, Bolsofuckingnaro, etc., even before catching it himself (and he did got it pretty bad).
    At least, AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

NO, masks are intended as a complement when you cannot maintain physical distancing - not as a reason to abandon other measures.

CDC's updated (and later removed) new guidelines put it clearly:
    Masks should not replace other prevention measures.
    WHO says https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...d-19-and-masks
    ... the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19. You should also maintain a minimum physical distance of at least 1 metre from others, frequently clean your hands and avoid touching your face and mask.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    He was not exactly comparable to our dear "strongarmed leaders". I mean, sure, UK messed up the initial response, but he was not exactly in denial of seriousness of Covid, as opposed to Trump, Lukashenko, Bolsofuckingnaro, etc., even before catching it himself (and he did got it pretty bad).
    At least, AFAIK.
    He was not in denial, but neither was he smart about precautions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3NAx3tsy-k
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-09-25 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    At least, AFAIK.
    I also give credit to Boris he believed the stuff he was saying about COVID-19 before he caught it. Trump knows how bad it is and was saying that privately and even today is still pretending the virus is no big deal in public while holding super spreader events every week. Trump and Bolsonaro are the two "leaders" who are actively working to spread the virus to as many people as possible.

Floridaman death cult adherent, Governor Ron DeSantis, is telling restaurants and bars they can re-open at full capacity - https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...es-to-phase-3/

Their numbers don't look awful, but are still high even if taken at face value. Problem is that they're still seeing thousands of new cases a day and doing minimal testing (1.1 tests per 1,000 people, well below CA which is at 3.2:1K and NY which is 4.5:1K right now) and a high 11% positive test return. In context with CA/NY since those were mentioned, CA is sitting at a 2.8% positive rating and NY is at a 0.9% positive rating.

Ron DeSantis is gonna get a lot of Floridians killed.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/re...0-3efcfd68f39e

And while there was no statewide mask mandate, some cities implemented them with fines for people who failed to comply.

Death cult adherent Ron DeSantis is suspending all the fines.

"I think we need to get away from trying to penalize people for social distancing and just work with people constructively," the governor said.

The announcement came in response to a question about masks. The governor said he hopes the state and local governments can work with people in a way that's more collaborative when it comes to encouraging mask use.
    And here I thought that after trying to work with people constructively to get them to wear masks out in public, specifically in stores, without threat of penalty was enough. And that the penalty came because people selfishly refused to comply or believe in baseless conspiracy theories.

It was tried without the stick, it didn't work. The stick became necessary when it should not have been.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Just skimmed a Twitter headline but apparently masks are inoculating wears against the virus. I didn't read the full article but I know the "theory" behind it.

Mask DO limit the amount of virus you may inhale even if it's just a cloth mask. So in theory, you could inhale enough to trigger a immune response but not enough to contract the illness. Could happen once, or over time. It's like if your body was exposed to very small viral loads every day, it will eventual 'remember' the virus as if it found off a full blown illness.
    Possibly, but the exact response for small viral exposures seems a bit unclear, some viral infection only need a handful of viral particles to get started - others need more; and I don't think we know about this one yet.

However, there is a different variant of this - that seems more studied, but is still not 100% sure: avoiding very large viral exposures, that seem to be more lethal (intuitively the immune system doesn't have time to get started at all), explaining why health-care workers without PPE got very sick, and why someone being directly coughed as protest died.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is an extremely dangerous attitude. These masks do NOT protect you sufficiently in order to act careless.
    You must use them in conjunction with distancing.
    Proper hygiene should be self explanator with or without new viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That is an extremely dangerous attitude. These masks do NOT protect you sufficiently in order to act careless.
    You must use them in conjunction with distancing.
    Proper hygiene should be self explanator with or without new viruses.
    Yeah, sorry, the CDC head said our most effective tool to combat the virus is facemasks, but it isn't the only thing, yes. But I am not ignorant like Vargulf and not wearing them at all. He is going to end up on one of those videos going around about antimasks and then couple weeks later we will hear about them being sick and dying from it. Karma is quite the bitch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Floridaman death cult adherent, Governor Ron DeSantis, is telling restaurants and bars they can re-open at full capacity - https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...es-to-phase-3/

Their numbers don't look awful, but are still high even if taken at face value. Problem is that they're still seeing thousands of new cases a day and doing minimal testing (1.1 tests per 1,000 people, well below CA which is at 3.2:1K and NY which is 4.5:1K right now) and a high 11% positive test return. In context with CA/NY since those were mentioned, CA is sitting at a 2.8% positive rating and NY is at a 0.9% positive rating.

Ron DeSantis is gonna get a lot of Floridians killed.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/re...0-3efcfd68f39e

And while there was no statewide mask mandate, some cities implemented them with fines for people who failed to comply.

Death cult adherent Ron DeSantis is suspending all the fines.

And here I thought that after trying to work with people constructively to get them to wear masks out in public, specifically in stores, without threat of penalty was enough. And that the penalty came because people selfishly refused to comply or believe in baseless conspiracy theories.

It was tried without the stick, it didn't work. The stick became necessary when it should not have been.
    I super hope DeSantis catches covid..would be the second best schadenfreude(first being Trump)..ready for the infraction~

10+ Year Old Account
    A new antibody study came out in The Lancet today. It's important to note that these numbers are from July.

During the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, fewer than 10% of the US adult population formed antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, and fewer than 10% of those with antibodies were diagnosed. Public health efforts to limit SARS-CoV-2 spread need to especially target racial and ethnic minority and densely populated communities.

We still have a long way to go with this, at least until we get a well tested and widely distributed vaccine. Heading into the northern hemisphere's flu season, it's likely to get worse before it gets better, so encourage everyone you know to take sensible precautions.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like the world is going to officially reach the unwelcome milestone of 1 million deaths on Sunday, per worldometers. Of course, we all know that we actually passed 1 million a while ago, due to excess death reports worldwide.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    The numbers are most definitly higher than those tracked. In my country alone Im sure the real number of cases and deaths are at least 10x of what reported, and its not even about hiding or an effort to under report the numbers, its just in small cities and rural places people specially old people are dieing without any real analysis of the death reason. Symptoms which are very generic are being recorded as official reason of death. Stats are so bad in developing countries. I bet cases world wide are at least 5x reported.
    Sounds about right. My guess is that the world is between 150-250m cases and 1.3-1.5m deaths by now.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils