10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    A new antibody study came out in The Lancet today. It's important to note that these numbers are from July.
    That's amazing, but can they explain why the people I see in public who aren't wearing masks all happen to be quite ugly? It's genuinely baffling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    don't be afraid like everyone in this thread. wash your hands, distance while you can, and keep your head up. live life.

one of my helpful tips is to just wait outside or go to a different convenience (making it inconvenient i know) store that is less crowded if there are too many people there.
    you back again after a month blabbing the same bullshit? Are you just doing this because you are bored and want excitement from railing everyone up again?

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...0#post52619190
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...7#post52617087
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    A comment on Twitter got me thinking "The lockdowns were more harmful than the virus."

How many people died or developed long term condition because of the lockdown?

Rhetorical question.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Those not wearing a mask or refusing to protect themselves or others might be in for a rude awakening. On Dutch news there are studies going on that corona can damage more than just your lungs, your brains are also apparently effected.

A good article on this is here

Patients with COVID-19 are experiencing an array of effects on the brain, ranging in severity from confusion to loss of smell and taste to life-threatening strokes. Younger patients in their 30s and 40s are suffering possibly life-changing neurological issues due to strokes. Although researchers don’t have answers yet as to why the brain may be harmed, they have several theories.
    Apparently this is from June, so not that new but it resurfacing in the news with local cases ain't exactly happy news. However imagine if this disease actually has a chance to make you dumber, especially if it's increased by dumb behaviour. Some sense of justice in there.

Oh good grief, now I've seen everything.

Latest conspiracy theory is that lockdowns are as a result of a massive psyop campaign using compromised voices by the Chinese to destroy its rivals economies.

That's just so dumb on do many levels I don't know where to start.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    If another lockdown happens they better start up basic income, even now I can't find any jobs in my area

Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    If another lockdown happens they better start up basic income, even now I can't find any jobs in my area
    I am feeling the same way. Wrong time to make a career change for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    A comment on Twitter got me thinking "The lockdowns were more harmful than the virus."

How many people died or developed long term condition because of the lockdown?

Rhetorical question.
    The lockdowns are pretty devastating in poorer countries.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/w...er-crisis.html

So, maybe look beyond your back yard from time to time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    even if it's not from china i wouldn't trust a vaccine being pushed so fast... not after the swine flu vaccine...
    Agreed. There is a reason why we test these substances for as long as we usually do. Even then there is a remaining risk but that is generally accepted as unavoidable.

Inoculating billions healthy, young people that have little to fear from C-19 is a gamble at best.
    The vaccine might easily prove more problematic than the virus itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    The lockdowns are pretty devastating in poorer countries.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/w...er-crisis.html
    Vulnerable communities that were already vulnerable with the more wealthy using the virus as a scapegoat to further keep the vulnerable in line ie in the US many "essential workers" were understaffed and underpaid before the virus. They work on the same pay in worse conditions expected to keep the country working while the ones who throw their hands up and sya "we can't pay you more" are able to safely quarantine.

So I really don't care about certain people complaining about the post-Covid economy. Many are the ones looking for something to exploit. The ones truly impacted knew how damage the economy was before even before the virus. The workers can complain, and many could give a damn about pundits and politians concern trolling about a economy that already failed the workers and didn’t do them any favors when they were the only ones on the streets keeping it going (in the US).

Suddenly people care about starving people in Africa? Miss me with that. They just want to go back to their keep labor and lavish vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    He was not exactly comparable to our dear "strongarmed leaders". I mean, sure, UK messed up the initial response, but he was not exactly in denial of seriousness of Covid, as opposed to Trump, Lukashenko, Bolsofuckingnaro, etc., even before catching it himself (and he did got it pretty bad).
    At least, AFAIK.
    Boris before getting it was basically "Some of you will die, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make." Farquaad.

Post illness he initiated a lockdown. But filled the science committee with Cummings backed yesmen so he could claim to be following the science while doing basically nothing.

What the conservatives claim the science is saying vs what independent groups (like the independent sage group) is saying is in two different realities.

Boris is at best half arsing while trying to fill his and his cronies pockets. Non Cummings backed groups are basically pleading for a second lockdown because the infection rate is extremely high. There are more daily infections now than there ever was during the first wave and that had a lockdown to slow it. This one doesn't and Boris isn't budging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suddenly people care about starving people in Africa? Miss me with that.
    So it's a problem if a handful of Americans die but millions of people in poorer countries? Well who gives a flying intercourse.

Yep, western civilization at it's finest. Thanks for proving my point.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's a problem if a handful of Americans die but millions of people in poorer countries? Well who gives a flying intercourse.

Yep, western civilization at it's finest. Thanks for proving my point.
    In a world where I have to chooses between lives and a dollar, I'm choosing lives first.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a world where I have to chooses between lives and a dollar, I'm choosing lives first.
    Except that in most 3rd world countries, this choice does not present itself.

We can sit here in our well funded nations and weather the economic storm (well, you Americans maybe less than us Germans) but we must realize that a lot of people on this planet are not so lucky. To simply dismiss them as "who ever cared about them?" makes your whole "I'm choosing lives!!11" quite unbelievable.

Sweden didn't lock down and their economic contraction ended up being marginally worse than all of their neighbors in spite of it. Not sure why that is though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that in most 3rd world countries, this choice does not present itself.

We can sit here in our well funded nations and weather the economic storm (well, you Americans maybe less than us Germans) but we must realize that a lot of people on this planet are not so lucky. To simply dismiss them as "who ever cared about them?" makes your whole "I'm choosing lives!!11" quite unbelievable.
    He is saying this isn’t a covid problem, but a problem that is exacerbated by covid. Do you honestly think it’s the people of US’s fault, and not the same companies or their subsidiaries that are ratfucking the world?

Different country, same corporation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Papua_(province)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Where do you get budget for that with a broken economy? France will run out of money to pay those who lost jobs by the end of October. Real economy crises will hit soon. Although I believe humans who survived thousands of years without any economic system must have a way with today's tech to pass this through with relative ease, but don't expect much payouts for next lockout.
    The key was keeping the life expectancy around 30 years old.

Sweden relative to to its neighboring countries is a way more active country, has more travelers and international workers. Basically more "globalist", so its expected for Sweden to have higher rates and to get more hit on economy compared to her neighboring countries.
    Because sick people don’t shop or work.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Sweden relative to to its neighboring countries is a way more active country, has more travelers and international workers. Basically more "globalist", so its expected for Sweden to have higher rates and to get more hit on economy compared to her neighboring countries.
    I don't believe that's the case.

Norway has far more travelers, and was in the most of the month of March, the second most highly infected country in the world. Precisely because Norwegians travel a lot. Most of the early cases came back from vacation in Italy. Norway's economy is also way more dependent on export. Denmark meanwhile, sits on the continent, and has a very high population density. They too managed to avoid the high death counts of Sweden, and to my recollection even had a lesser quarterly GDP contraction.

Suddenly people care about starving people in Africa?
    Because people suddenly start starving.

What most people don't realize was that large famines were gone from Africa for decades (they returned a few years ago due to political decisions - but still smaller than during the earlier decades), and based on post in this forum many weren't aware that extreme poverty was on track for being eradicated within a decade or so.

Covid-19 has set that back decades, and to top it off there are locust swarms in Africa as well. The cause is not just lockdowns in Africa, but also reductions in trade due to decisions in other countries.

- - - Updated - - -

And now we are past 1 million reported deaths, and as the Economist wrote: "Perhaps another 1m have gone unrecorded." - https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...covid-19-wrong
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-09-27 at 05:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We care about people starving in Africa because we care about controlling the amount of people who want to migrate to Europe and other better off places. Sounds harsh but that's basically the core sentiment in politics.

Climate change also can't be underestimate when it comes to the increasing number of famines in Africa, although i am no expert so i could be wrong but drought can't be good for your agriculture. Meanwhile the EU and US over subsidizes their agriculture industries. Yet farmers are still worse off each passing year so what the hell is really going on, perhaps an interesting subject to look into.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    He is saying this isn’t a covid problem, but a problem that is exacerbated by covid.
    I never said that is was a "covid exclusive" problem. Neither did the NY-Times article that I linked.

But yes: this whole COVID shabang has hit other nations WAAAY harder than us.

BTW: the companies wouldn't be "ratfucking" the world, if we, the consumers would act differently.
    Problem is though: our economy functions on greed. We want everything as cheap as possible, so do they. And the rest is history.
    In order to break such a cycle, you would first have to eliminate or moderate scarcity and secondly reprogram the human mind to get off the greed.
    Bot are not achievable right now.

Yet another fucking lockdown here in Dublin despite living on the border... ffs. Garda turning people around on the roads.