10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Uh huh. How... versatile of you.
    The story of 2020 is really that of a coronavirus leaving its hometown in rural China to come all the way to America and ask its people why the emperor has no clothes.

Because if nothing else COVID has done a wonderful job of exposing every hypocrite on the subject of abortion, the death penalty, and public assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I honestly wonder if it is really worth trying to contain it at this point rather then burning itself out.
    As far as I can tell we are never going to eliminate it. It seems more like just drawing out the hurt.
    Unfortunately, that would not work. To many people need intensive care treatment.
    Even it is only 5%, our systems would be overtaxed within a few weeks if we let it spread in an uncontrolled manner. That would lead to a lot more deaths and not only due to C19. Imagine having an accident but ICUs being overtaxed with C19. A lot of stuff that would otherwise be treatable and survivable suddenly would not be.

So some measures are required to keep a handle on the situation.

You are right though: we are never going to eliminate it. Like the flu, this will stay with us. Lets hope that once we have working vaccine, it will become a non-issue like the flu. Or in more cynical words: only kill around 60K/year in the US, no one gives a hoot about.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I for one propose a system where you can earn X number of days ignoring COVID related restrictions in exchange for an equal number of days spent digging graves for COVID victims.

Barring that; no. If you're seriously trying to argue that saving lives is not "worth the effort" when the only avoidable hurt being done is to your stock options - suck it up, buttercup. Your income isn't worth anyone's life.
    Rather they just pay me for digging graves. Restrictions so far have at best just delayed the inevitable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Considering this strategy would lead to way more deaths, way more short/longterm medical problems, more people sick, more suffering, more chaos etc....naw.
    How?

The only way it would is if there is a vaccine and given its rate of mutation I am skeptical there ever will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather they just pay me for digging graves. Restrictions so far have at best just delayed the inevitable.
    Which is the point, because not delaying it would mean the healthcare system would be stretched beyond its capacity to handle the load of active cases.

Can y'all at least try and actually acquire a basic grasp of epidemiology before making silly statements like "only delaying the inevitable" or "the cure is worse than the disease".
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

How?

The only way it would is if there is a vaccine and given its rate of mutation I am skeptical there ever will be.
    Because hospitals don't have unlimited space, supplies, medication, staff and PPE? We already know what happens when we let it run wild.

How?

Because throwing our arms in the air and saying, "FUCK IT, HEARD IMMUNITY IT IS!" will lead to many, many more getting the virus and causes immediate and delayed negative impacts.

Do you think getting sick with the virus isn't a big deal? That it doesn't lead to health complications? That it's not super expensive? Doesn't disrupt their lives? The lives of their coworkers and family members? The people who have to risk their health caring for them? Medical resources that are already stretched thin?

What about in 10-20+ years when the secondary complications of the virus, that we're seeing early data to suggest right now, start leading to another wave of serious health problems?

Who the fuck allows someone with Covid to leave in less than a week? Where are the standard 2 weeks? I hope that this is just bullshit PR and Trump is forced to stay in hospital.

Also, our dear official bullshiter Kayleigh McEnany has Covid as well. Ironic, eh? And now other journalists are raging at her because she did not wear a mask just a couple of days ago when giving interviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    How?

Then you're not listening to the scientific consensus.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Who the fuck allows someone with Covid to leave in less than a week? Where are the standard 2 weeks? I hope that this is just bullshit PR and Trump is forced to stay in hospital.

Also, our dear official bullshiter Kayleigh McEnany has Covid as well. Ironic, eh? And now other journalists are raging at her because she did not wear a mask just a couple of days ago when giving interviews.
    What you don't like the healthcare plan of pumping the president full of amphetamines to fake the appearance of good health?

Doctors who are told that POTUS will do what he wants and they can't stop him. And Secret Service agents who don't have a choice in the matter, and are increasingly speaking out about how pissed they are that the individuals they're protecting in this administration carelessly put their lives at risk pointlessly.

You can't stop him, you can only try to contain him.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    What you don't like the healthcare plan of pumping the president full of amphetamines to fake the appearance of good health?
    If I would be just a bit more sociopathic, I actually might... xD

You can't stop him, you can only try to contain him.
    Ain't that the truth.
    If a certain political party would grow collective balls, not just some individual ones, the lower cadres certainly could tell the president NO, buuuut... I really do not think president can order his bodyguards to needlessly risk their lives, yet here we basically are.

I really do not think president can order his bodyguards to needlessly risk their lives, yet here we basically are.
    He can. They can overrule him in some circumstance, but largely if the president wants to do something dumb and dangerous they're there to tell him not to do it because it's dumb and dangerous, but if he still wants to do it and they can't find a reason to actually stop it they have to find a way to make it safe. Even if that means putting themselves in greater danger.

It's incredible, because the measure for how good a POTUS was to their security staff has apparently historically been, "Do they travel extensively around the holidays, forcing additional staff to go into work and miss spending time with their families?" to "Will he put us in a hermetically sealed disease box for a photo-op?"

10+ Year Old Account
    If I would be just a bit more sociopathic, I actually might... xD

Ain't that the truth.
    If a certain political party would grow collective balls, not just some individual ones, the lower cadres certainly could tell the president NO, buuuut... I really do not think president can order his bodyguards to needlessly risk their lives, yet here we basically are.
    To answer your prior question, Trump's joyride was apparently a compromise offered by doctors to get him to stay at the hospital when he was insisting on leaving.

The Great Barrington Declaration is an interesting development. The punch line to it:

Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.
    I'll be looking forward to people who have gone all-in on lockdowns explaining why Martin Kulldorff is just an idiot that wants to kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The Great Barrington Declaration is an interesting development. The punch line to it:

I'll be looking forward to people who have gone all-in on lockdowns explaining why Martin Kulldorff is just an idiot that wants to kill people.
    I mean, ignoring that no society is really set up to deal with this nonsense notion - are folks who survived going to wear, "I CAUGHT COVID AND I'M IMMUNE NOW!" stickers?

But this

herd immunity threshold
    Pretty much all I need to hear to dismiss this nonsense. How many more people need to die or suffer longterm health complications so y'all can have your "herd immunity"?

I mean, a nice notion in theory. But practically completely impossible.

I mean, ignoring that no society is really set up to deal with this nonsense notion - are folks who survived going to wear, "I CAUGHT COVID AND I'M IMMUNE NOW!" stickers?

But this

Pretty much all I need to hear to dismiss this nonsense. How many more people need to die or suffer longterm health complications so y'all can have your "herd immunity"?

I mean, a nice notion in theory. But practically completely impossible.
    It really is pretty funny seeing this from people that don't know anything about biology beyond whatever they got in high school. Thanks Edge!

10+ Year Old Account

Almost as much as I'm looking forward to him explaining how he plans to implement this without comprehensive testing and contact tracing, neither of which the "open everything back up" clowns seem to much care about.

Personal inconvenience isn't oppression no matter how florid the language you use to try and spin it as such. Rofl.

It really is pretty funny seeing this from people that don't know anything about biology beyond whatever they got in high school. Thanks Edge!
    How are you gonna staff all these restaurants with immune servers/cooks/busers/dishwashers? How are you gonna make sure every person there is immune?

How are you gonna make sure all the kids at day care are immune? Their parents? The day care workers? What if there aren't enough immune day care workers, do you bring in a non-immune person or two and just make them wear masks?

This is the argument that pro-opening conservatives have been making since before this was even a pandemic. It was bad then and it's still bad now.

We can't even figure this shit out during lockdowns with far fewer complicating factors and his argument is just OPEN IT ALL UP AND HOPE FOR THE BEST! ?

How are you gonna staff all these restaurants with immune servers/cooks/busers/dishwashers? How are you gonna make sure every person there is immune?

How are you gonna make sure all the kids at day care are immune? Their parents? The day care workers? What if there aren't enough immune day care workers, do you bring in a non-immune person or two and just make them wear masks?

This is the argument that pro-opening conservatives have been making since before this was even a pandemic. It was bad then and it's still bad now.

We can't even figure this shit out during lockdowns with far fewer complicating factors and his argument is just OPEN IT ALL UP AND HOPE FOR THE BEST! ?
    You seem to still be laboring under the impression that this is dangerous to children. This is a common misconception among people that haven't really been paying much attention. Of course, your all caps punch line is a pretty moronic lie, since the recommendation in the letter is:
    Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent PCR testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm reading this declaration and struggling to find Kulldorff's answer for how society is going to deal with the long term health impacts of COVID survivors, also.

Really just seems like he's tired of having to actually parent his kids without a babysitter handy or, sin of sins, actually practice medicine without fobbing it off on medical assistants or admin staff. Rofl.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to still be laboring under the impression that this is dangerous to children.
    That's nice dear, did you know children are still capable of acting as biological vectors for disease even if they are not as high at a risk from the disease themselves.

Again, really just reinforcing that Kulldorf is just tired of having to parent his kids since he clearly isn't familiar with how quickly diseases spread in schools.