10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth, there's no such thing as "hard data" for flu cases and deaths. There are definitely scientifically-derived estimates, but the margins of error in the 95% confidence interval are quite large.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Man, you learn some things about people sometimes. A friend of mine was a nurse who quit to care for her family, and I never thought she of all people would believe some of the conspiracy theories about the virus. According to her the situation was deliberately worsened by the government to assert control over the population, and non-medical masks are totally worthless as soon as you even touch them and might be more dangerous than going maskless. She argues that, because the government here (Canada) stopped tracking influenza sometimes in March, the Corona numbers are all wrong and many deaths (of seniors especially) are attributed to the virus just because, that sort of thing.

I mean, she's given me food for thought to a small degree as to the government's handling of the issue and (especially) the real difficulty of getting totally accurate data on what's happening right now, but her conclusions are just... I can't take that sort of shit seriously at all.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm skeptical of this, not because I think they're wrong or they don't know what they're talking about, but because it's based on models and estimations that are already using inaccurate, incomplete and/or non-representative data. I don't doubt the numbers are far larger than 36 million, though, and I'll rely on the WHO to do their best and still listen to them.
    I don't see what point you are trying to make.

Almost everything are estimates and models; and estimates of excess mortality is one of the traditional tools for tracking pandemics.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I don't see what point you are trying to make.

Almost everything are estimates and models; and estimates of excess mortality is one of the traditional tools for tracking pandemics.
    Simply that the data being used to support the model isn't truly accurate or representative, but it's as good as we're going to get so that's what we have to use. As you say though, this is just how we do things.

That said, it's a pointless discussion to be had, as it provides no meaningful information regarding the topic, just my commentary on the subject which is irrelevant to the situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the feeling of having a common cold and feeling like you're being watched and judged like "this person probably has Covid!". The common cold and the regular flu hasn't gone away they're still there. Just because I'm might be coughing and have a stuffy nose doesn't mean I have Covid.

Just a random thought I felt like writing out.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    I hate the feeling of having a common cold and feeling like you're being watched and judged like "this person probably has Covid!". The common cold and the regular flu hasn't gone away they're still there. Just because I'm might be coughing and have a stuffy nose doesn't mean I have Covid.

Innnnnfeeeccccteeeddddddd

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you don't have a cold and it's just a dry throat. Start coughing and people get super jumpy. <_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Even if you don't have a cold and it's just a dry throat. Start coughing and people get super jumpy. <_<
    Yeah really. I find myself trying to hold it in sometimes just so people don't start suspecting me as a Covidite.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Haven't checked UK daily figures recently and today I see we're now pushing more than 10k new cases for the last few days, with yesterday being nearly 20k new cases O_O

No wonder my city went back into a lockdown. What a farce.
    Students having corona parties with one entry requirement?

“There was a flat party a few days ago which had a policy that you could only get in if you were positive. It was like their health-and-safety measure,” the 18-year-old physics student said.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...sitive-parties

Meanwhile over in Sweden this week, who never stopped the partying, why bother to flatten the first curve if all it means is you get rewarded with a 2nd,3rd,4th,5th...

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Meanwhile over in Sweden this week, who never stopped the partying, why bother to flatten the first curve if all it means is you get rewarded with a 2nd,3rd,4th,5th...

Sweden is still the worse out of all the Nordic Countries.

A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/h...pgtype=Article

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention drafted a sweeping order last month requiring all passengers and employees to wear masks on all forms of public and commercial transportation in the United States, but it was blocked by the White House, according to two federal health officials.

The order would have been the toughest federal mandate to date aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus, which continues to infect more than 40,000 Americans a day. The officials said that it was drafted under the agency’s “quarantine powers” and that it had the support of the secretary of health and human services, Alex M. Azar II, but the White House Coronavirus Task Force, led by Vice President Mike Pence, declined to even discuss it.
    My countries government once again rejects science and continues to try to get as many people infected with the virus as possible.

Apparently Europe has hit 100,000 new cases in a single day for the first time. Yeah, the second wave has arrived.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I love how here in poland our gov outright forbids the testing and reduces amount of tests as much as possible and we still get more and more cases everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Apparently Europe has hit 100,000 new cases in a single day for the first time. Yeah, the second wave has arrived.
    How can 2nd wave arrive when 1st one never ended?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I love how here in poland our gov outright forbids the testing and reduces amount of tests as much as possible and we still get more and more cases everyday.
    Sounds like your government is taking hints from Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post

That graph has two big issues, first Sweden is more populated than the other Nordic Countries, and secondly Sweden deliberately scaled back testing during the spring (whereas Denmark has been testing a lot).

Using reported deaths per million gives more realistic estimates, as all Nordic countries are fairly good at finding covid-deaths; which gives Sweden 582, Denmark 115, Finland 62, Norway 51, Iceland 29, Greenland 0.
    However, we are seeing rising number of cases in all countries again so all numbers could go up as the pandemic is far from over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    How can 2nd wave arrive when 1st one never ended?
    You might call it a 2nd peak (of the 1st wave) instead as Dr. Ryan from WHO does.

However, he also notices that it hardly matters what you call it, what matters is how you deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

That's hardly a correct description.

Sweden had lighter restrictions than most other countries, and still has basically the same restrictions and seems likely to continue with those restrictions for perhaps another year. Most tend to ignore the latter part.

France, Spain, and uk had much harder restrictions initially, and not only lifted them but at least uk and France then reversed policies to have what would best be called anti-lockdown measures, and then have to reverse policies again.

Having such back-and-forth reactive handling doesn't seem ideal and is hardly a strategy, but trying to switch to "Swedish strategy" in other countries seems like a really bad idea, as it's both yet another change and it also seems unlikely to work as many would interpret it incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    I do not know how many time we have to beat this dead horse, yes Sweden did do lots of mistake in the begining, like not put peopel who wisit Italy in quarantine, failur to enforce routines in retirement homes etc But that do not invalidate the Swedish tactic becuse it did work after it was properd implemented.
    Last edited by Fantomen; 2020-10-10 at 07:11 PM.

Dont follow the Netherlands.. its becoming a shithole filled with covid19.

The Florida of the EU

Yeah really. I find myself trying to hold it in sometimes just so people don't start suspecting me as a Covidite.
    Are you certain you don't? Did you get tested? If not you're being incredibly irresponsible being out in public and people should look at you suspiciously. In fact they have no way of knowing you've been tested if you have so it's perfectly reasonable for people to react that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Are you certain you don't? Did you get tested? If not you're being incredibly irresponsible being out in public and people should look at you suspiciously.
    Some of us normally cough a bit after eating salty food, like french fries, and coughing is also a natural reaction to pollutants like smoke.

If a few coughs in those situations is the only "symptom" consistent with covid-19 then getting tested is actually a bit irresponsible, since you don't have any real symptoms and testing capacity is limited in many countries. Most people you meet don't know whether you have been coughing the entire day or just that time, and thus cannot judge it.

- - - Updated - - -

Holding it in isn't ideal (at least not for long). The cough is usually intended to get rid off something bad in the airways, and you clearly don't want that bad stuff there.

Obviously cover you mouth with your elbow when coughing etc.