10+ Year Old Account

Mega-Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Although human to human transmission seems rare and this appears less deadly than SARS, let's hope this doesn't get out of hand.

The spread of the outbreak comes as the country gets ready for the Lunar New Year holiday later this week. On Sunday, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that there was evidence of "limited human-to-human transmission" of the new virus raising fears of a wider regional outbreak. The holiday period typically sees hundreds of millions of Chinese travel throughout the country and overseas.
    Last week, three cases were detected outside China -- two in Thailand and one in Japan. All cases have been linked to Wuhan. On Monday, South Korea also confirmed its first case of the virus.

According to the South Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a 35-year-old Chinese woman was detected by temperature screening upon arriving Sunday at Seoul's Incheon International Airport from Wuhan. She has been quarantined and is in a stable condition, the CDC said.
    The woman, a Wuhan resident, had planned to go on holiday in South Korea and Japan with five others. She said she developed a fever and muscle pains on Saturday and was prescribed cold medicine by a doctor in Wuhan, according to the CDC.

Almost 7 million Chinese were estimated to have traveled overseas last year during the Lunar New Year holiday season. "I believe Chinese tourists will bring the virus to many other countries in Asia in the coming days, due to their overseas travels during the Lunar New Year holiday," Professor David Hui Shu-cheong, a respiratory expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, told CNN Monday.
    Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/19/a...hnk/index.html
    Additional information: https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...ut-pkg-vpx.cnn

Stay safe, y'all.

Mod Warnings:

1) Refrain from giving advice over treatments, vaccines, and other methods of medication. We are not professionals and regardless of sources, it would be irresponsible and dangerous considering the anxiety surrounding the pandemic.

2) This thread is centered around the pandemic and updates about the virus. Please keep in mind that political or military topics are not appropriate here, as they have consistently derailed the thread. Naturally, the measures politicians have taken to tackle the virus are fine, but arguments about reparations, war, and the like are off-topic.

3) We're not here to debate taking vaccines or how lethal the virus is/isn't. This just makes openings for harmful misinformation and derails discussion. People take the pandemic seriously, so being intentionally dismissive or divisive isn't welcome.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-07-21 at 09:25 PM.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Fortunately as far as I'm aware my hospital hasn't seen this yet.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Here in Ireland had a nasty strain of flu making its rounds. One of the worst flus I ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Here in Ireland had a nasty strain of flu making its rounds. One of the worst flus I ever experienced.
    At least here in the states the flu usually a yearly occurrence. Does Ireland no have like a flu season like we do?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    At least here in the states the flu usually a yearly occurrence. Does Ireland no have like a flu season like we do?
    Course we do. Was the strain this winter that was particularly bad.

In the original World War Z novel, didn't the zombie outbreak virus originate from a province in China???

Seems like every season is flu season in the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    In the original World War Z novel, didn't the zombie outbreak virus originate from a province in China???
    many of the viruses come from rural Asian wet markets. In those markets, you can find dead and alive animals of many kinds that are stacked together. The conditions there are perfect for mutating virus strains from animal to animal until it can infect humans.

15+ Year Old Account
    i ended up getting the flu christmas day and it was nasty first time i've had it in a long time but took damn near 2 weeks to get fully better
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Seems like every season is flu season in the last decade or so.
    yes it's almost like these happen with regular frequency....sort of like how seasons work....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    So is there ever anti-virus treatments for this kind of virus or do we just have to isolate the infected until it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes it's almost like these happen with regular frequency....sort of like how seasons work....
    What I tried to imply, genius, is that there doesn’t seem to be a “flu season” anymore and that people, it seems with more regularity, get the various flu bugs through out the year now, instead of within restricted time period. Is that so difficult for you to grasp?
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2020-01-22 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    So is there ever anti-virus treatments for this kind of virus or do we just have to isolate the infected until it goes away.
    The shitty thing about viruses is that once you got them, you can only really treat symptoms, and ride it out till your immune system takes care of the rest.

Viruses are not really a living organism (just a protein vessel with some RNA or DNA inside), so things that works on bacterial infections, like antibiotics, will do jack shit.

The only real ''treatment'' is developing a vaccine so you wont get it in the first place.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but China has near 1.4 billion people, so something new was bound to manifest.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Not to sound like a pessimist, but China has near 1.4 billion people, so something new was bound to manifest.
    It most likely manifested at one of the wet markets like SARS did.
    high density of live animal, humans, raw meat and food processing (with the possibility of sub-par hygiene) all at the same place is a breeding ground for bacterial and viral mutations.

The flu isn't one specific bug. It's a family of RNA viruses with 7 sub groups each with a variety of strains.

Influenzavirus A, which we humans can get has at least 23 strains identified so far.

While each cause largely the same symptoms, the severity of those symptoms varies depending on the strain involved and the immune system it attacks.

This is also the reason why flu vaccines don't always work. They usually vaccinate for the most common strains or whichever strain does the rounds that season, but you might end up just getting one you weren't vaccinated for.

7+ Year Old Account
    Apparently there's a rumor starting in China that this virus was planted by the USA to hurt China.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Apparently there's a rumor starting in China that this virus was planted by the USA to hurt China.
    It was done to scare them so they start getting immunizations and then get autism and then they no longer will be able to build our iShineys and then china will collapse, and then...

some geezer having some romance with a fish and boom a city gets closed just like that. This is fucking wild though.

see the shit show after their lunar festival. might need to lock us all up in our houses.